I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300R > "K13R" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13R" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 08-15-2014, 06:18 AM
Aussie Moderator
Thanked 4,998 Times in 2,035 Posts

Rear Brake Use

Hey guys, saw a bit of discussion in another thread regarding rear brake use, and thought I would throw the question out there, do you use the rear brake a lot.
I use both brakes but tend to use the rear a lot. I'm going through rear brake pads and rotors at least twice as much as fronts on my previous motorbikes.
I also do a lot of commuting and favour the rear brake through the traffic as well.
I will be interested to here some views of others.

Cheers
Kiwimat

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
Old 08-15-2014, 07:23 AM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,785 Times in 1,370 Posts

Re: Rear Brake Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMat
Hey guys, saw a bit of discussion in another thread regarding rear brake use...
I use the rear brake almost never. Since teh front is linked to the rear I let the computer do its thing. I do use the rear when making a tight low speed turn, but that's about it.
Old 08-15-2014, 08:45 AM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Good one Mat

Only to brake at stops when I keep my left foot on the floor, linked brakes rocks !

I've checked in spirit riding, as example fast cornering rear brake works perfect, specially when the rear tyre raises the floor in a hard braking and ABS does its best job.

Using only the rear brake is almost unuseful, has no braking power, is only to help the front brake, and the best way is by electronics, faster than my brain.

As a comment, my dealer technician told me is a common issue to keep the feet on the rear lever because inadvertently the rider push down the lever, wearing out prematurely the brake pads
Old 08-15-2014, 09:09 AM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,045 Times in 791 Posts

I do NOT have the linked brakes on my 06...(or maybe it's the servo I don't have) and I use the rear brake a lot on this bike.. but not with a lot of force...Mostly as a stabilizing effect when coming to a stop and occasional trail braking. I've changed the front pads at 25K.. still on the original rear pads at 32K and there's still some meat left ..
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Pirate' for this post:
Old 08-15-2014, 09:22 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2008
Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,056 Posts

The rear brake is your friend for slowing or stopping in gravel or sand. Excellent for keeping stable in stop & go rush hour traffic, allowing the right hand a break.
Yes, it also allows trail braking through corners where one's throttle hand might not allow enough of a delicate touch (or when following DYL-Jim thru the dragon! )

I sure as hell wouldn't want to rely on it for hard braking or scrubbing off speed when that radar detector goes off. I value life & license too much for that type of folly.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Muddy1' for this post:
Old 08-15-2014, 10:59 AM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
I do NOT have the linked brakes on my 06....

Are you sure about that.

They went with the Teves on the 06 on (no servo) but as far as I know, they've never sold a non-liked K bike. Front lever-both. Rear lever-rear only.

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Loggiebone' for this post:
Old 08-15-2014, 11:01 AM
Go Ugly Early

No braking technique discussion for me but I will say that I NEVER use the back brake on my MTS. It's a waste of time and effort. Great placebo though...

The following (4) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Loggiebone' for this post:
Old 08-15-2014, 11:14 AM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,045 Times in 791 Posts

No I'm not sure... but that's what I was told when I bought the bike...(and you know dealers are never worng) .. and the rear pad looks almost new... I would assume if they were linked the rear would wear similarly to the front?? Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.. As I recall.. I was wrong once back in 1988, I think..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggiebone
Are you sure about that.

They went with the Teves on the 06 on (no servo) but as far as I know, they've never sold a non-liked K bike. Front lever-both. Rear lever-rear only.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Pirate' for this post:
Old 08-15-2014, 11:29 AM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
. I would assume if they were linked the rear would wear similarly to the front?? Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.. As I recall.. I was wrong once back in 1988, I think..

No, I think you're wrong about that. You weren't wrong back in 1988...

Off to ride...SYL.

The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Loggiebone' for this post:
Old 08-15-2014, 11:31 AM
Shooting the gap

I use the rear brake only in several situations. I use it the most when I need/want a little trail braking on corners. It is light enough (as compared to the front brakes) to not signficantly upset the dynamics of the cornering yet still control/scrub-off a little speed. I also tend to use it on a very soft surface. I use the rear pedal in conjunction with the front lever when making an all-out stop. I am not sure that it really makes a difference since the system is abs and integrated, but it is an old habit from riding bikes with non-integrated, non-abs systems. In fact, I still ride such a low tech bike and don't want to lose those habits that can come in handy. All of that being said, the vast majority of my braking is using the front lever and relying on the integrated abs system to do its thing.

k_enn
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'k_enn' for this post:
Old 08-15-2014, 12:08 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,748 Times in 2,792 Posts

I was taught early on that the front brake generates 70% or more of your stopping power on a motorcycle and have trained myself to use the front brake almost exclusively when riding on the street. Nevertheless on my '02 RS the rear brake is used anytime I use the front brake and I've found the rear pads wear much more quickly than do the front pads. After my last brake pad replacement I've learned to keep a close eye on rear pad wear, as I came very close to ruining the rear rotor without realizing that the rear brake pads were shot. Pictures say at least 1,000 words,

new vs. old,

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'CJS350' for this post:
Old 08-15-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
No I'm not sure...

Quite easy to check...

Just touch the rear lever with your feet when you ride and use a bit hard the front lever, if you feel the rear lever goes down by itself, you have linked brakes
Old 08-15-2014, 07:16 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Hey guys, saw a bit of discussion in another thread regarding rear brake use, and thought I would throw the question out there, do you use the rear brake a lot.
I use both brakes but tend to use the rear a lot. I'm going through rear brake pads and rotors at least twice as much as fronts on my previous motorbikes.
I also do a lot of commuting and favour the rear brake through the traffic as well.

Cheers
Kiwimat

Urban/commuter type riding simply eats rear brakes. Back in my livery service days I'd go through 2 to 4 sets of rear pads for every 1 set up front(depending on the motorcycle).

The combination of the Hossack front suspension, ABS, and the exceptional ease of my 06's servo assisted brakes it has now nearly equaled the wear ratio of front & rear brakes.
With the Hossack's front suspension barely diving due to weight transfer,
and NO variations of 'wheel-base' upsetting the steering and handling I'm using the front brakes more often as well as harder than ever comfortably/safely possible before.

With conventional telescopic forks; using your front brakes while 'sifting' through LA street traffic or "splitting" lanes on the freeway was problematic at best. Ergo the rear brakes took a beating. The Hossack suspension simply doesn't suffer from the blatant flaws of "telescopic" forks making the infinity more effective front brakes more usable in more circumstances.

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
Wunderlich/Rizoma handlebar conversion
Acerbis "Dual road" hand guards
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
2014 Triumph Rocket III Roadster 'Prudence'
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Big o'l chrome engine-bars w/ highway pegs.
CRAZY LOUD "Denali" air horn.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'FR1956' for this post:
Old 08-15-2014, 08:58 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,772 Times in 2,045 Posts

I took a set of pads to my mechanic when he put on my new shoes about 1,000 miles ago, and he said my brakes look new...13,5XX miles, never, ever use the rear...don't ride that bike on gravel, don't know how to trail brake, only try and use the brakes when I hit stop lights.

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jargon' for this post:
Old 08-15-2014, 09:05 PM
Living the Dream

Quote:

Cheers
Kiwimat

I am like you Mat. I use mine all the time, a lot more in stop and go traffic, on gravel and sand and in parking lots at slow speeds where the front can be unsettling or grabby. It is there for a reason. At speed I tend to rely on the front a lot more.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'K13Mike' for this post:
Old 08-16-2014, 07:34 AM
Speed Demon

Ironic this thread appearing I'll digress

Before I bought my K spent over a year trying to track down a post 07 with neither ABS or ESA,was told there was no demand and believed them!!! only to find any second hand one that came on the market got snapped within days!!!.

Had a conversation with a mate who also owns a K only last week about the rear brake,I use mine a lot for all the reasons already mentioned,loose surface filtering in traffic and most important coming out of a corner it's how you stand the bike up!!.

As soon as I start to lean on my rear brake it feels like the ABS has kicked in the brake pedal drops feels like 12"!!! but probably only a couple of mil,after that it firms up by which time it's to late,with linked brakes feels like you end up with a generic style of riding when being on a bike is anything but.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'ChrisCannin' for this post:
Old 08-16-2014, 07:54 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,403 Times in 3,134 Posts

Quote:
I do NOT have the linked brakes on my 06...(or maybe it's the servo I don't have) and I use the rear brake a lot on this bike.. but not with a lot of force...Mostly as a stabilizing effect when coming to a stop and occasional trail braking. I've changed the front pads at 25K.. still on the original rear pads at 32K and there's still some meat left ..
Jerry:

From the DVD service manual for 2006 K1200S.

[IMG]file:///F:/Datas/Reprom/BMW-Motorrad/SYMB/KG/MODELLE/00/achtung.gif[/IMG] AttentionThe front brake lever also applies the rear brakes (integral brakes). Once the brake calipers and brake pads have been removed, operating a brake lever could result in the pistons being pushed out.
Install the brake caliper with brake pads or insert the piston resetting device.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 08-16-2014, 11:29 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Hi Kiwimat

I was taught to apply the rear break a split second before the front so it sat the rear and you achieved optimum breaking, however with the linked brakes I've become a tad lazy! Now days I just use the rear for slow speed maneuvering or getting a smooth throttle application on corner exits. In terms of how much the rear plays in stopping your bike, just watch some motorcycle racing and see how often the rear is on the ground when breaking for a corner.... Anyway, do an advanced riding course and they'll get your braking sorted and explain it better.

Toddy
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'toddy' for this post:
Old 08-16-2014, 01:20 PM
Speed Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddy

just watch some motorcycle racing and see how often the rear is on the ground when breaking for a corner.... Anyway, do an advanced riding course and they'll get your braking sorted and explain it better.

Toddy

A back wheel up the air will have a dam sight more to do with how the electronics man has set up the software rather than any use the rear brake gets,with the exception of Nicky Hayden because in years past he's had a front disc put on the rear wheel.

As for an advanced riding course I'd have thought anyone with any common sense would have done that years before ever throwing a leg over a K.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'ChrisCannin' for this post:
Old 08-16-2014, 06:14 PM
Shooting the gap

Rear breaker here. I only use the front when I need to stop rapidly or comming into a corner with more speed than the rear can handle or the last few metres before comming to a stop at lights etc.

It's hard to have full control when one hand is trying to brake and have some throttle control at the same time. I like to setup before I come to a corner and accelerate through rather than the heavy braking sharp turning and heavy acceleration that I see a lot of.

Trying to go fast on an underpowered bike is the best way to learn how to brake. You have to be smooth and use the motor to wash off speed.
1986 Moto Guzzi LeMans 1000 since new.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'double.d' for this post:
Old 08-16-2014, 06:50 PM
Aussie Moderator

Thanks for all the great feedback guys. This has turned out to be a great thread.
It's easy to see why a rear breaker like me may not have known that the bike has linked brakes, had some suspicions when I felt the rear pedal drop a few times under heavier breaking and wondered what the hell the ABS was doing... That explains it.....
Oh... I mean, of course I knew my brakes were linked.....18 months later.

Cheers
Kiwimat

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'KiwiMat' for this post:
Old 08-16-2014, 07:49 PM
Thanked 1,402 Times in 790 Posts

Quote:
It's easy to see why a rear breaker like me ....that explains it.....
Cheers
Kiwimat

Hey Matt
I'd rather be a 'rear braker' than a 'rear breaker'

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Capt Howdy' for this post:
Old 08-17-2014, 03:16 AM
Speed Demon

Quote:
Thanks for all the great feedback guys. This has turned out to be a great thread.
It's easy to see why a rear breaker like me may not have known that the bike has linked brakes, had some suspicions when I felt the rear pedal drop a few times under heavier breaking and wondered what the hell the ABS was doing... That explains it.....
Oh... I mean, of course I knew my brakes were linked.....18 months later.

Cheers
Kiwimat

Even now all these years on remember test riding a Blackbird when they first came out,dived into a corner half way round on hard the back brake to stand the bike not realising the it had linked brakes and when you use the BB rear brake you get a lot more front bias than on the K god knows how we never fell off

There was a de- linking kit that could be bought later on.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:23 AM
Shooting the gap

Oh, I forgot, two up you definitely have to use the front brake
1986 Moto Guzzi LeMans 1000 since new.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:41 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Sports bike
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ED8BfPtaTw

Cruiser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qVlP70NPhI
Old 08-17-2014, 08:52 AM
... ...

Quote:

Cheers
Kiwimat

I just checked my log and, yeah, me too, Mat:

20,391 km Rear brake pads
40,000 km Rear brake disc
40,000 km Front and rear brake pads

I ain't complaining
Old 08-18-2014, 02:08 PM
Getting up to speed

My 2 cents on the topic, I use the front mainly and the rear for stop signs, lights and slow manoeuvering, not sure I wrote this one right.

To be perfectly honest, I was not aware that the front was linked to the rear.
Old 08-18-2014, 02:31 PM
K1200RS doctor
Thanked 1,011 Times in 563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset
My 2 cents on the topic, I use the front mainly and the rear for stop signs, lights and slow manoeuvering, not sure I wrote this one right.

To be perfectly honest, I was not aware that the front was linked to the rear.

Pierre,
You did not read the manual - shame on you ;-)

For your K1300R, info about the brake linking is in Chapter 6, page 86 (English version of manual):
Partially integral brakes
Your motorcycle is equipped with partially integral brakes. Both front and rear brakes are applied when you pull the handbrake lever. The footbrake lever acts only on the rear brake.
While the brakes are slowing the motorcycle, the BMW Motorrad Integral ABS adapts braking-force distribution between front and rear brakes to suit the load on the motorcycle.

-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 08-19-2014, 08:30 AM
Getting up to speed

Thanks Jean.

Was thinking about this on the ride in this morning ? Does ABS come into play over a certain speed or is it always on ?
Old 08-19-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset
Does ABS come into play over a certain speed or is it always on ?

You need to ride few meters for the self check until the red light goes off, then is always connected, except if you manually switch it off from the switchgear
Old 08-19-2014, 11:27 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy1
The rear brake is your friend for slowing or stopping in gravel or sand. Excellent for keeping stable in stop & go rush hour traffic, allowing the right hand a break.
Yes, it also allows trail braking through corners where one's throttle hand might not allow enough of a delicate touch (or when following DYL-Jim thru the dragon! )

I sure as hell wouldn't want to rely on it for hard braking or scrubbing off speed when that radar detector goes off. I value life & license too much for that type of folly.

My thoughts as well. FYI the owners manual for my 06 K1200S says the brakes ARE linked. So there is no such thing for using only the front brake, on this bike at least.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:25 AM
Aussie Moderator

Great response guys, I should have added a poll....
How many knew they had linked brakes........
Yes
No

Cheers
Kiwimat

Old 08-20-2014, 05:48 AM
Speed Demon

I knew they were linked hence the amount of effort I put in trying avoid them it won't happen again
Old 08-20-2014, 06:26 AM
Getting up to speed

HTML is off so no preview...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MddguBZRieQ
Old 08-20-2014, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Great response guys, I should have added a poll....
How many knew they had linked brakes........
Yes
No

Cheers
Kiwimat

I told you....
yes, no, I don't know, I don't answer, LInked brakes?
Old 08-21-2014, 01:42 AM
... ...

I don't have linked brakes. No ABS or ASC for me. No way! Its just a bare boned, old school "you ride it" type of bike ... just the way I like it
Old 08-21-2014, 07:08 AM
Speed Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by frantic
I don't have linked brakes. No ABS or ASC for me. No way! Its just a bare boned, old school "you ride it" type of bike ... just the way I like it

You lucky lucky bar steward blimey I wish I had one
Old 08-21-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:

Is a matter of time.... finally you will love it
Old 08-21-2014, 08:22 AM
... ...

I know, Chris

Bernie, no I won't because back in 2010 I demo'ed a fully-optioned K1300R for a week and absolutely hated it, then two years later I test ride my bike (without all the "fruit"), and love it - for me there really is a big difference.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'frantic' for this post:
Old 08-21-2014, 08:31 AM
Speed Demon

Quote:
I know, Chris

Bernie, no I won't because back in 2010 I demo'ed a fully-optioned K1300R for a week and absolutely hated it, then two years later I test ride my bike (without all the "fruit"), and love it - for me there really is a big difference.

The irony for me having disappeared up my own backside trying to find a good one,the ones I did find(that hadn't sold straight away) boy had they been ridden hard!!! gave up bought mine and F me two weeks later a K sport with nothing on it came up for sale 15 miles away from were I live.

What bugs me with my K I'm not in control the bike is,I've had to learn to ride it around those parameter's probably why I use it as little as I do.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:49 AM
... ...

OMG! Wouldn't that just rot ya socks!
Old 08-24-2014, 06:30 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Depending on the road, 50/50 use
Old 08-28-2014, 09:06 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I use the rear brake always during slow maneuvers. 98' ABS Not linked. I have not
Spent enough time on a bike with linked system so, no opinion there! Very fond of ABS though!
Old 08-29-2014, 02:03 AM
DOWN TO SKIN AND BONE

I ride with two fingers on the front brake lever when in traffic and ALWAYS use the front brake first . The rear brake is a follow-up when slowing just because my toe is not normally on the brake lever.

I use the rear for trail braking into corners when trying to keep the suspension loaded. At times both front and rear brakes are used in a corner when I may have over-cooked it.

Two weeks ago, riding the new R1200GS, had twenty bike lengths doing about 40 mph following three cars. We approached a bridge where everyone slows for no reason at all. I saw their brake lights come on, kept my spacing and looked in the mirror so I wouldn't become bug splatter on a bumper. Back to the taillights and wam-bam they had all stopped!

I pulled the front brake lever harder then anytime in my life, squeezing the crap out of the finger that was still on the grip. I was done for, then the ABS kicked into "Life Saving Mode". My toe nailed the rear brake hard, but the ABS was already there and the machine stopped with a very short bike length to spare. Braking action was strong and the deceleration was huge! I saw an escape route, but the bike's feedback told me to stay on the binders. Besides, I probably would have bounced off a few things had I tried to change direction. All-in-all a fast few seconds. ( dumbass)

I am now a total believer regarding ABS, BMW and the kid who put the bike together at BOB's BMW. That was my first ever tailgate close-up and stopping a bike with 70 miles on new brakes.

hanzosrevenge.blogspot.com

BMW '09 K1300S
BMW '14 R1200GS
Holy Tread-wear Batman!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'ZATO' for this post:
Old 08-29-2014, 07:43 AM
Getting up to speed

After some spirited overtaking yesterday, as I tucked back into traffic I felt the rear ABS kick in for the 1st time while only using the front brake lever... an odd feeling but the front stayed rock solid & it didn't feel like I was never going to stop as it does when the front ABS kicks in... guess I'll get used to it as we head towards the slippery roads of autumn & winter, because I have no control over how much pressure is apportioned to the rear brake when I squeeze the front lever... I take account of the surface conditions... integral brakes don't but if they work then I'm not complaining.

I use the rear brake a lot for tightening up corners & scrubbing off speed late into a bend so I'm used to going through rear pads even quicker than fronts.
Old 11-19-2014, 10:36 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via MSN to loubre

Part of the reason for faster rear pad wear is simply that BMW has for years used organic material in their pads and sintered metal front, organic is softer therefore wears faster.
FarRider #912
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200RT
2013 F800R - GONE
2013 K1600GT Montego Blue - GONE
2012 K1300R SE Satin Black - GONE
To be old and wise you must first have been young and stupid!
Old 11-20-2014, 01:38 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FR1956
With the Hossack's front suspension barely diving due to weight transfer,.......

It barely dives because of the better geometry of the Hossack front end, NOT because weight transfer is eliminated.

Weight transfer is still there, which is why use of the rear brake in hard stops is essentially pointless, since weight transfer throws most of the weight onto the front. It's just that the Hossack front end doesn't dive anywhere near as much under weight transfer.

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
Old 11-20-2014, 01:58 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I rely on the rear brake exclusively when doing low speed maneuvers, full-lock turns and figure eights. I learned that technique from the book "Maximum Control: Mastering Your Heavyweight Bike." It was written by motorcycle cop who shared the training exercises they learned to control their patrol bikes.

However, when I'm just riding, I mostly rely on engine braking or the front brake. I always apply the rear brake lightly just before coming to a stop, but with linked brakes, that's probably not necessary. The book says you should come to a stop with the rear brake, hold it, while your left foot is on the ground.

Mandel
Old 11-20-2014, 07:40 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I've always used both brakes and didnt realise about the linked brakes until I read this thread. I promply put my bike on the centre stand, started up and put it into gear and
got the rear wheel spinning .... I braked using only the front brake lever and nothing happened to the rear wheel!!!! so I wander if the bike has linked brakes, its a k1200GT 2008.
Reading on, I wander if the brake light has to go off after travelling a few feet before the system works!!
Old 11-20-2014, 08:45 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnymingle
I've always used both brakes and didnt realise about the linked brakes until I read this thread. I promply put my bike on the centre stand, started up and put it into gear and
got the rear wheel spinning .... I braked using only the front brake lever and nothing happened to the rear wheel!!!! so I wander if the bike has linked brakes, its a k1200GT 2008.
Reading on, I wander if the brake light has to go off after travelling a few feet before the system works!!

I believe the rear brake is set at 20% of what is being fed to the front in the "linked" system. If the front wheel isn't turning who knows what the system is set to do? All I know is all I consciously use the rear brake for is the occasional "trail-braking" in the twisties.

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Old 11-21-2014, 02:04 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnymingle
Do the same test on a cold bike for a few seconds then stop the engine... then carefully touch the rear brake disk with the level of caution you would give to an iron of unknown temperature... if it is in any way warm the link is permanent (as it suggests in my manual). It is possible to do a burnout with linked brakes but you'll knacker the rear brake up (as well as your rear tyre of course).
2002 R1150GS
2001 F650GS
1999 R1100GS
1997 F650
1995 F650
Old 11-21-2014, 02:47 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Good Morning,

When riding the K1200RS, linked brakes, I use both brakes. On my old K100RS I use most of the times only the front brakes, when I need more stopping power I will also use the rear brake.

When I play with the little Ducati, I only use my front brakes, it 's got enough stopping power. It's equipped with two disks. Have n't used the rear brake yet

2001 K1200RS Blue
1999 Ducati 750 SSie Red
1986 K100RS White (working on)
1975 Suzuki T350 Rebel (up and running)
Old 11-22-2014, 10:57 PM
DOWN TO SKIN AND BONE

Brakes? I don't need no stinking brakes... got no time to stop!

In the past, I thought ABS was for newbies with too much bike. That is until I performed the most epic use of front brake lever action in 3 seconds of pure WTF! I felt and sensed more in that 3 seconds than in the last 50 years of motorcycle riding. If you grab a handful of front brake lever and the bike tracks straight and it feels like your ass tossed out a boat anchor... your brakes are connected! Now it's ABS or nothin' for me. Learn to use and trust the front brake, especially with dual rotors. Premature rear brake wear may be a result of rider technique.

There are a lot of good replies in this Thread. Should you have any question about your brake system, don't mess around, get it fixed. I like competition racing pads when replacing worn stuff, less mileage, better performance. I remember my old Honda 160, I don't remember if it came with brakes. Back then it was "No guts - no glory."

50 years of motorcycle riding?! Never too old to rock and roll, way too young to die!:

hanzosrevenge.blogspot.com

BMW '09 K1300S
BMW '14 R1200GS
Holy Tread-wear Batman!
Old 11-23-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZATO
Brakes? I don't need no stinking brakes... got no time to stop!

This reminds me when journalists told W.O. Bentley that their cars had poor brakes, he answered I make cars to accelerate, not for to brake

Quote:
50 years of motorcycle riding?! Never too old to rock and roll, way too young to die!:
Or... I enjoyed 50 years being happy with my bikes
Old 11-23-2014, 10:33 PM
Getting up to speed

Generally speaking I use the front brake 90% to stop (probably why I cup my front tire prematurely) and feather the rear brake along with engine braking. In a panic stop I'm stomping on the rear brake and a death grip on the front.

IBA# 5819
Old 11-24-2014, 07:44 AM
Postmeister

Send a message via Yahoo to jimmm

Using either front or rear brakes when playing in the corners, or for special events, like gravel, corners, ice, parking lots, cool. Where I see a problem is we tend to do what we practice, hence pro athlete, LEO, military training. I read a study of the odds of severe or fatal injuries based on speed.5mph makes a big difference.Even with linked brakes doesn't using both brakes make a difference? I can't find any info say it doesn't. So based on that I use both brakes as often as possible, parking lots, low speed, open empty highways. Why? Because when that deer, blue haired old lady,or drunk pulls out in front of me I want all the stopping force I can get. I do not want to have to think about what handle to pull, but rely on hours of training and habit. Some of us have the refined skills to make that call in an emergency, I'm not willing to bet on it. We pick an 500 dollar helmet over a 200 dollar one in hopes it gives a small margin of safety, but get lax on our braking skills. I am not the best or safest rider out there,so I need all the help I can get. I often find a deserted stretch of hwy and practice panic stops from whatever speed I may ride. Those with track time have these skills, the rest of us, maybe not. Bikes do weird things under panic stop at 120 that they do not do at 40. Bad time to learn this is when a 600 lb elk is doing his Fred Astaire imitation in your headlights. Does anyone have a study of braking comparing only one linked brake to using both?
Old 08-26-2016, 07:03 AM
Aussie Moderator

I have now done 47,000km on my K1300R and gone through 3 sets of rear pads and have now chewed out the rear disc. I had been replacing the rear pads with the genuine BMW pads.
Had the bike serviced on Thursday, got them to fit a new rear disc and pads while they were at it. I got a Brembro disc, bolts and 2 sets of pads from UK. Total price for all that, delivered to Australia (in 5 working days!!) was $217. The rear brembo disc was £67 which is $115 AUD/$88USD. Go to Motorworks site in the UK if your interested.
I was also almost down to bare metal on the front pads, so they got replaced too, that's 47,000km for a set of front pads.
The bike feels amazing with fresh pads all round.
If you havnt read the whole thread, yes I mostly use the rear brake.

Cheers
Kiwimat

Old 08-26-2016, 07:33 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
I have now done 47,000km on my K1300R and gone through 3 sets of rear pads and have now chewed out the rear disc. I had been replacing the rear pads with the genuine BMW pads.
If you havnt read the whole thread, yes I mostly use the rear brake.
Well, I guess that would explain why I replaced my OE front pads at 26,000 miles (they should have been replaced earlier), but at 29,000 miles my OE rear pads are less than half worn.

2013 BMW K1300S "30 Years"
1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1997 Ducati 916 Monoposto
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
Old 08-26-2016, 11:27 AM
Site Contributor

About 15 to 20000 miles for the rear pads and 35 to 40000 for front pads has been a constant for me for years using sintered EBCs.

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Old 08-26-2016, 01:57 PM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,027 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

Like some have posted, I virtually never touch the rear brake with the linked brakes... by itself, it has very little stopping power. I must have a very different riding style than many... at 66K miles on my K13S, my dealer said I still had 80% original pad life remaining on the rear, and 65% on the front. Recently, with 70K miles the fronts began to wear unevenly, so I had the calipers rebuilt and installed Carbone Lorraine sintered metal pads.

Here is an example of the rear brake's efficiency during hard braking...

The following (4) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Kneedragger' for this post: