I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW S-1000 Series Motorcycles > S1000 XR > "S1000 XR" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 07-27-2015, 04:23 PM
(Moderator) Tries to be slick but fails
Thanked 1,207 Times in 551 Posts

S1000 XR SE - Test ride report - July 2015

Hello, Bernardo has suggested that rather than post my test ride review in amongst the Press Reviews I put my review in a new thread so that all I-BMW members who test ride this bike can add their 2p or 2c as the case may be: here's my report:

My first impressions from my test ride were that:

1. The engine fuelling is excellent - but to be fair even the first S1000RRs had superb fuelling. It will drive from 20 mph in 6th without snatching.

2. Handling is spot on - bike really well balanced and the suspension is very "supple".

3. Riding position is nice - you are more upright than on a K13 - and the wide bars should mean that in the tight stuff you have more leverage - the K13 isn't the best when it comes to a tight Alpine hairpin.

4. I'm used to the quick upshifter from the S1000 and the K13 so no surprises there, but the downshifter was a revelation.

5. Wind and rain protection isn't as good as a K13 but it is good enough..

6. Performance is more than enough. I expect that the XR will have more real wheel hp than the K13 as it's chain drive and so doesn't suffer from the hp loss from driving the shaft. Combined with around a 20kg lower weight I can tell you that acceleration is extremely quick. It won't have as high a top speed as the K13 but frankly you can't use that on the road in any case.

7. Some people have complained that the bike has too many vibes coming through the handlebars. I noticed a bit of vibiness, but it didn't bother me.

8. Clutch is heavy and non-adjustable I'll have to change the lever.

So there you are with initial impressions. Full report to follow.

Having said that I put my order in as soon as I got back so draw your own conclusions and the bike arrives on Wednesday 29th!
The following (7) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Welshman' for this post:
Old 07-27-2015, 05:10 PM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Re: S1000XR - Test rides -First Impressions

Thanks Philip

I think will be a lot of members tests, and I bet some with the notice of a new XR
Old 07-27-2015, 05:35 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,774 Times in 2,047 Posts

You going to buy one Philip?

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 07-27-2015, 07:34 PM
The Cleaner - I solve problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshman
Hello, Bernardo has suggested that rather than post my test ride review in amongst the Press Reviews I put my review in a new thread so that all I-BMW members who test ride this bike can add their 2p or 2c as the case may be: here's my report:

My first impressions from my test ride were that:

1. The engine fuelling is excellent - but to be fair even the first S1000RRs had superb fuelling. It will drive from 20 mph in 6th without snatching.

2. Handling is spot on - bike really well balanced and the suspension is very "supple".

3. Riding position is nice - you are more upright than on a K13 - and the wide bars should mean that in the tight stuff you have more leverage - the K13 isn't the best when it comes to a tight Alpine hairpin.

4. I'm used to the quick upshifter from the S1000 and the K13 so no surprises there, but the downshifter was a revelation.

5. Wind and rain protection isn't as good as a K13 but it is good enough..

6. Performance is more than enough. I expect that the XR will have more real wheel hp than the K13 as it's chain drive and so doesn't suffer from the hp loss from driving the shaft. Combined with around a 20kg lower weight I can tell you that acceleration is extremely quick. It won't have as high a top speed as the K13 but frankly you can't use that on the road in any case.

7. Some people have complained that the bike has too many vibes coming through the handlebars. I noticed a bit of vibiness, but it didn't bother me.

8. Clutch is heavy and non-adjustable I'll have to change the lever.

So there you are with initial impressions. Full report to follow.

Having said that I put my order in as soon as I got back so draw your own conclusions and the bike arrives on Wednesday 29th!

It must be noted... Your increasingly impressive stable Nice choices there, hopefully you get the time to exercise each of them properly...

'05 K12 S - KIA 6/21/11
'04 Ducati 999 - traded
'07 R1200 GS - sold
'99 R1100 S - traded
'05 K12 S - traded
'11 K13 S Magma Red - traded
'16 R1200 GSW Triple Black - traded
'16 K13 S MotorSport
Old 07-27-2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jargon
You going to buy one Philip?

Yes. Mine arrives at the dealer tomorrow and I should collect Thursday or Friday.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenthegrass
It must be noted... Your increasingly impressive stable Nice choices there, hopefully you get the time to exercise each of them properly...

Thanks. I took the Wiesmann round the Nordschleif yesterday. Unfortunately 5 minutes before the track opened so did the heavens so it was gently gently!