I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-22-2015, 06:44 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Buying a 2007 K1200GT With High Mileage...

Today, I am buying a 2007 K1200GT, but I'm a little weary still because It has high mileage, but it was a one owner. It has 90,000 miles, but many things have been replaced, including the rear drive and ABS system. Everything works, no issues, clear title, never been in an accident. It comes with many extras, including GS911, BMW battery tender, wilburs front shock, top case, etc. Its always been fully serviced and ready to ride.
Includes ESA, ASC, Xenon headlamp, heated seats, grips, electrically adjustable windshield, and cruise control. Tires: Metzeler Z8s with 1500 miles on them, virtually new.

My question is what would you value this at? Thank you!

Old 09-22-2015, 10:54 AM
Site Contributor

Re: Buying a 2007 K1200GT With High Mileage...

I just typed a response to the same query at k-bikes.com. See this thread:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37194

I do not like it when there are duplicate threads on the two sites, but feel that it is important enough to copy my response here, too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
The 2007 K1200GT in the photo has been in an accident, or at the very least, dropped. The side panels are from a 2009 or later K1300GT. (Perhaps the photo is a K1300GT that is not the one for sale.)

If it has a Wilburs front shock, then the ESA does not work. You must manually get off the bike and adjust the suspension.

Is this bike close to you? Can you take it to a dealer for inspection? Has the airbox been replaced? Brake pad wear indicators cut off (that's okay, but an indicator of seller honesty about maintenance) vs. genuine BMW brake pads? Firmware version? etc.

Can you get the VIN number and check when it was made? The 2006-built models of the 2007 K1200GTs had the older 2006-style seats. The 2007-built models of the 2007 K1200GTs had the newer 2007-2011 style seats. Most people hated the 2006-style seats.

If the seller has a GS-911, then they may have been doing their own maintenance. When was the last valve clearance check (which is very expensive at the dealer)? Who did it? How did they fill the radiator?

To be honest, this one smells fishy to me - especially the "no accident" claim with those side panels.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'XMagnaRider' for this post:
Old 09-22-2015, 01:59 PM
(Moderator) " Shithead of the Year "

Good Luck with this one
01 Checker for sale

" Somewhere in all this Horseshit ...... there got to be a pony ...... trust me "
Old 09-28-2015, 12:52 PM
Getting up to speed

I've heard a lot of complaints about this bike; however, my experience with this machine has been great -- incredible horsepower and performance and compared to my old LT, this thing is a rocket ship - my old LT was a PITA and a very complicated bike....

My '07, 52K miles, has been a reliable machine - I'm picking up more of the maintenance as I'm now out of warranty... The ABS pump and clutch components are known repair items for this bike - my ABS pump is just now under the microscope and will likely be sent to Module Masters for their $200 repair... Also, the fuel strip is a known bad component, but covered in BMW warranty - I have had 3 now, my first one lasted several years - my latest one has been good for 8 mos...

If I were considering this bike - I would confirm the following:

- Valves - last adjustment & clearance
- Emissions canister - has it been replaced/removed?
- Fuel strip - recently replaced?
- Cam chain jumper guard, rear wheel flange and recall services complete?
- Last brake flush?
- Was the rear drive a new replacement?
- I'd ask to connect the GS-911 connected and check the ABS voltages - and see if there are any other faults and run through the displays for clarity on the GS-911 interface

I'm not as leery of the side panels - I think the 13's are a nice upgrade, and had a 'static' tip over on my blue GT - love that color!

As far as value, your used market is a good determiner and what you're planning for this machine - commuter, med. distance tourer .etc...

We've seen high mileage GT's in this forum - we've had one Iron Butt rider that put 150K+ miles on his GT and you'll see comments as varied as the ownership - the guys that like to tinker are quite as complaintive/loud as the guys that will pull the covers and tinker.... They also share their knowledge and have provided great information on component failures that they've experienced - ABS for example...

Finally, this is one bad-ass scooter... 150hp, it doesn't lie and the power/performance is fantastic and touring on this rocket-ship is a blast and I'm will to trade the irritation of occasional component replacement for the performance delivered..... After all, it's a high performance motorcycle -- not a Vespa!

Hope that helps....
Old 09-28-2015, 12:56 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCU2WYO
- the guys that like to tinker are quite as complaintive/loud as the guys that will pull the covers and tinker.... They also share their knowledge and have provided great information on component failures that they've experienced - ABS for example...

CORRECTION: The guys that like to tinker aren't nearly as complaintive/loud as the guys that will NOT pull the covers and tinker....
Old 09-28-2015, 02:57 PM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Hi cyr, welcome

You can find a lot of information (good and bad) about the model, year and others.
The fact is :
- the bike looks perfect,
- mileage is not a great issue, if was used following all service and first brand or original parts and seems it's true.
- A lot of expensive accessories tells the owner likes to have a perfect bike.

Follow your heart, don't suffer and buy it
Old 09-28-2015, 03:14 PM
interacting

Nobody answered the original question about value. Well, as my dealer always says when I go to trade my old bikes in: "ewww--high mileage!!". I think it's probably worth about $8-10K. This is a n 8-year old bike, with an unconfirmed service history. By the way--you never did tell us what the guy was asking for it. I have an '07, same bike. I would be thrilled to get $10K for it.********************************************************* ***MdMn*********
Old 09-29-2015, 07:27 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman
Nobody answered the original question about value. Well, as my dealer always says when I go to trade my old bikes in: "ewww--high mileage!!". I think it's probably worth about $8-10K. This is a n 8-year old bike, with an unconfirmed service history. By the way--you never did tell us what the guy was asking for it. I have an '07, same bike. I would be thrilled to get $10K for it.********************************************************* ***MdMn*********

No offense, but there is no way this bike is worth $8-10k. I was thinking maybe more like $5k-$6k tops.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'cyrjordan' for this post:
Old 09-29-2015, 08:06 AM
interacting

As an owner of an '07, perhaps I'm being optimistic, as I paid almost $24K for the bike. If they hadn't immediately upgraded to the K1300, and then the K1600, I'm sure 10K would be reasonable. However, I have seen ads for these bikes and all owners are asking 8-10K. Guess they are just as optimistic as I am. But I am not interested in selling the bike. It's been a good one (contrary to popular opinion).***********************************MdMn******
Old 09-29-2015, 08:13 PM
Getting up to speed

the 8-10 range is what NADA (most banks) and KBB list them at.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:04 PM
Crash Test Dummy

If I were considering this bike - I would confirm the following:

- Valves - last adjustment & clearance
- Emissions canister - has it been replaced/removed?
- Fuel strip - recently replaced?
- Cam chain jumper guard, rear wheel flange and recall services complete?
- Last brake flush?
- Was the rear drive a new replacement?
- I'd ask to connect the GS-911 connected and check the ABS voltages - and see if there are any other faults and run through the displays for clarity on the GS-911 interface

[/quote]

I agree with RCU
As the owner of a 2007 I bought in late 2009 with 22K on it I concur. Mine now has 64K on it. The rear went at 29K miles, I had purchased warranty and the dealer got BMW to do a new unit. I have replaced the clutch, but not the basket. I have serviced the fluids regularly. Nevertheless the ABS module just failed. I did the cam jump and rear flange. The valves 20K miles ago and they were perfect then. If the bike were a similar year and model GS it would be for several thousand more than a GT because the GS's are so much more popular. Even thought they cost less new.

The GT is a great ride, I have taken it from New England to Ohio a few times, to Florida via all the good roads in the east, well most of them. But I would only expect to get $5K or $6K for my bike. As they say, a good used bike is worth more to its owner than a buyer, a bad bike is worth less. I like this, I know what it is. I would not sell it for $6K I don't think but I would have to think hard about paying more than that for a high mileage one.

I like it, but for resale, RTs are better and GS way better than that. I would like to have a GS in addition to, not instead of. Had an 1150GS and it was all right but did not trust the ABS. But mine went, but it is a cheaper fix. It seems like it should be worth more, but I don't think it is.
And I agree with the power and speed appeal of the thing. To able to sit a high double digits on a quiet interstate is just very, very nice.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. Winston Churchill
2007 K1200GT
2001 R1150GS (gone) need another
Old 01-11-2016, 03:43 PM
Site Contributor

Yes it is wrong IMOP that our bikes do not hold value just because we like to ride. I do a 63 mile round trip on my 09 K1300GT to work 5 days a week and they are easy freeway 65-75 mph miles. But because I'm now at 71K mile, my bike is worth $5-6k. Where as a rider can beat on their bike for 11K miles, rev the S--T out of it and can get $10+K.

If the person takes care of the bike with honest servicing, tire, brakes and reg cleaning to keep there ride looking nice, they should be rewarded, not just penalty for high mileage. It has been proven that if you care for these eng and not beat um up, they will go for a long time.

I would like to see the sellers hold out and make the buyer bring up the used bike market, I like my ride and do not want to have to sell and by every 2-3 years just to get value out of the bike. if you follow the car market, we should be following the same.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:34 AM
Getting up to speed

I know I'm a little late to this discussion, but that picture looks like a K1300GT.
Either it's been upgraded to new panels,or it's a 1300.
As for 90k, my '07 has 80k, and it runs better than ever.
I plan to take it up to 100k,before considering replacing it.

Gary

MOA
IBA

'07 K1200GT
'01 F650GS
Old 05-01-2016, 10:48 AM
interacting

I would say the fairing panels have been replaced--suggesting a mishap of some kind. I have an '07 with about 85K on it and feel the same as you. Since I upgraded the cam chain tensioner, and fixed the ABS it has been a great bike. I never thought I would see 100K on it, but it is looking more likely all the time. Of course it's resale value will be almost nil when that happens. I might end up being a "2-bike guy".************************MdMn*******
Old 05-01-2016, 11:22 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Another late add... I've had an '07 K12GT since new, now with 67,000 miles. I've lived through all of the recalls and the final drive and ABS component failures. Added a Power Commander III and had it dyno-tuned 30,000 miles ago to smooth the flat spot in the throttle response. While all of that has been a nuisance, I've been able to see/feel the issues coming, had a helpful dealership, had the problems dealt with, and this bike has never left me stranded on the side of the road. (Scared me a time or two...LOL)

I share miles across 3 bikes in my garage, so I don't spool up real high mileage on any one of them each year anymore. But I take this one on at least one 5k mile trip per year. I've looked/tested the new GT and at other brands of sport-touring bikes in recent years. But as soon as I get back on this GT after a test on another, or even a ride on my other bikes, I realize quickly that I really, really like this bike.

BMW did K12GT owners no favor with it's rapid introduction of succeeding models as it expanded/rationalized its product portfolio. The resale value got soft with the K13GTs and worse with the K16GTs. So, it has created a real opportunity for potential owners of a K12GT. If you can find one that has had a little TLC along the way, you can get a great bike at a modest price. But sorry, you can't have mine !!
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'tgradolf' for this post:
Old 05-01-2016, 11:32 AM
interacting

"BMW did K12GT owners no favor with it's rapid introduction of succeeding models as it expanded/rationalized its product portfolio. The resale value got soft with the K13GTs and worse with the K16GTs."

Amen, brother. However--I still love my '07 K1200GT, so no harm, no foul.*********MdMn*
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'mudman' for this post:
Old 05-01-2016, 12:31 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,198 Posts

Don't pay more than $6000. in my opinion. If it were a K1300, I'd up that to about $7500. Plenty of bikes out there. And, if you do buy it please come back with that information too. Completes the thread.
Welcome to the site and there is more information on this bike here than you can read in one night.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 05-01-2016, 03:48 PM
Getting up to speed

Most of the shortcomings of the K1200 were sorted and solved with the K1300 models. If I had to do it all over again I would spend the extra money and seek out a 1300.
When the time comes to replace my K1200, that's where I'll be looking.
For me,the Honda,Yamaha, and Kawasaki bikes in this space are formidable bikes save for their weight. The BMW is close to 100 lbs. lighter than the others, and I can't overlook that.

MOA
IBA

'07 K1200GT
'01 F650GS
Old 05-01-2016, 06:19 PM
Shooting the gap

well for my 2 I just picked up a 07 with 32,000 miles for $3750 but it has been dropped as tupperware is scratched but not broken, the cam chain tensioner has not been replaced so it rattles sometimes at startup.

I called my local dealer and found out that there were 4 recalls that had never been done so when I brought it to Texas that was my first stop to unload it from the trailer at the dealer to get the recall work done.

other than the recalls and tries it seems to be a good bike just like the 06 that I had so I will see in a couple of weeks
'12' R1200GS
IBA #64066
Old 05-01-2016, 06:55 PM
interacting

My 2 cents. Get the cam chain tensioner replaced ASAP, and chain jump shield installed. Sounds like you got a good deal. Hope the ABS holds up.**********************MdMn*
Old 05-01-2016, 07:48 PM
Shooting the gap

Thanks mudman, that is why I would not let them start it to unload it at the dealer
'12' R1200GS
IBA #64066
Old 09-21-2016, 12:02 PM
Getting up to speed

I would attach a value of less than $5000 to this particular bike. I find the 1300 mid-fairings to be highly suspicious. And that is a lot of miles.

Not trying to rub it in because I know I got a tremendously good deal on my '07 K12GT. I bought it from the original owner who was an elderly gentleman and gave $6000 for it, towards the end of 2010 with just over 18k miles on the clock. Problem was it had a bad ABS pump, which I had rebuilt for $600 including installation. The original owner was just trying to get out of motorcycling so he had taken the bike to a dealer and tried to sell it to them. They offered $4500 for it as is, or said they would sell it on consignment for 20% commission but only after he paid them to fix every last thing on the bike that wasn't 100%. They quoted $3500 for a new pump, new set of tires, 18k service, and "inspection fees". They told him the bike could be sold for $12k at that time. So he settled for having the 18k service done, leaving the ABS pump, and selling it to me for $6k after he spent $800 for the 18k service. He was happy, the dealership could shove it, and I was ESTATIC!
1996 BMW r1100rs (sold)