I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW S-1000 Series Motorcycles > S1000 XR > "S1000 XR" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 02-28-2016, 02:05 AM
Nice day for somethin'

An offer I couldn't refuse

Fellow sled drivers: Friday I rode my K1300S down to Southsound BMW and test rode a S1000XR. It worked great. I decided to trade in both my 2010 R1200GSA, and OXCART, my 2013 black-on-black K1300S, and ride home on a red S1000XR. I liked the performance, the shift assist, the suspension, the ergonomics, etc. the particular machine I rode didn't have any noticeable handlebar buzz.

It is, as the Professor said, a "sensible-grandpa version of the death-wish S1000RR". Reminds me of my very first motorcycle, a seriously hopped up 1953 H-D K-model desert sled, only with all the modern goodies.

I always like to consider which aircraft type is most similar in performance and mission to a particular motorcycle. The K1300S was like the Lockheed A-12, which was developed by the CIA under the code name "OXCART." Well, the S1000XR isn't an OXCART type article by any means. Maybe it's more like the F-35.

OK, here is the picture, taken after I got back from the test ride.

Seeya
ATB
The following (17) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Paughco' for this post:
Old 02-28-2016, 05:16 AM
(Moderator) Tries to be slick but fails
Thanked 1,207 Times in 551 Posts

Re: An offer I couldn't refuse

Alan

Congratulations on your new bike.

The handlebar buzz varies from bike to bike. On mine it was quite noticeable but you can get heavier bar end weights if it annoys you.
Old 02-28-2016, 06:30 AM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Furman

I got one last November. I do have some buzzing in the handle bars but it seems to be going away. I put about 600 miles on it so far. Allot of fun to ride. Have some upgrades to do. Seat and lighting. Did install radiator and oil cooler guards, panniers,tail bag and a lockable GPS mount. Will use it for my daily commuter. And my K1600GTL for trips and rides with the wife.
Enjoy.

05 F650GS (Sold)
02 K1200RS First BMW (sold)
00 Kawasaki 1100 ZRX (sold)
83 Suzuki 750 GS (sold)
Furman along the
Delaware River
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Furman' for this post:
Old 02-28-2016, 06:50 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paughco
Fellow sled drivers: Friday I rode my K1300S down to Southsound BMW and test rode a S1000XR. It worked great. I decided to trade in both my 2010 R1200GSA, and OXCART, my 2013 black-on-black K1300S, and ride home on a red S1000XR. I liked the performance, the shift assist, the suspension, the ergonomics, etc. the particular machine I rode didn't have any noticeable handlebar buzz.

It is, as the Professor said, a "sensible-grandpa version of the death-wish S1000RR". Reminds me of my very first motorcycle, a seriously hopped up 1953 H-D K-model desert sled, only with all the modern goodies.

I always like to consider which aircraft type is most similar in performance and mission to a particular motorcycle. The K1300S was like the Lockheed A-12, which was developed by the CIA under the code name "OXCART." Well, the S1000XR isn't an OXCART type article by any means. Maybe it's more like the F-35.

OK, here is the picture, taken after I got back from the test ride.

Seeya
ATB
Variety is the spice of life,,,,best of luck.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:27 AM
(Moderator) Drinks good beer!
Thanked 1,259 Times in 774 Posts

Congrats on the new bike

I can't drink american beer!

''Respect the person who has seen the dark side of motorcycling twice, and lived!''
IBA #60362 - Iron butt from DGR - Quebec

FIND OUT ABOUT 2018 DGR HERE:http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=61884

LOOKING FOR A LOST THREAD, HAVE A LOOK HEREhttp://www.i-bmw.com/forumdisplay.php?f=262
Old 02-28-2016, 07:40 AM
Twisted Wrister

Don't stress too much over the bar vibration. My experience has been that it changes as the engine breaks in, usually over the first 6,000 miles, then settles in at a very low level. I never found the need for heavier/different bar ends.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:17 AM
Site Contributor

Congrats on the new bike and well done on getting the fastest color!

No issues here regarding vibrations.

There is a rumor floating around that BMW has something in the works on this issue. Reckon we'll all find out if indeed there is some truth to that.

Otherwise, enjoy your new bike it's a blast to ride!

Claremore, Ok
Old 02-28-2016, 09:18 AM
Site Contributor

Yes , congrats on the new ride . Looks pretty nice. Of course , Oxcart looks pretty nice too. Enjoy the new bike.

" The real motorcycle you are working on is yourself " robert pirsig
Old 02-28-2016, 09:45 AM
ŘZNAM
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,420 Posts

Congrats Al!
Old 02-28-2016, 10:07 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,405 Times in 3,136 Posts

Quote:

Al:

Congrats on the new bike. Hey I don't know about the RR's being death-wish machines - they are however very very interesting.

The XR's are also very very interesting - none of these machines are for beginners in my opinion.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 02-28-2016, 10:59 AM
Entering the on-ramp

congrats man
S1000XR is an amazing choice
ride safe
Old 02-28-2016, 12:14 PM
Moderator -Tainting The i-BMW Gene Pool
Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,273 Posts

Way to go Al... nice!
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition a.k.a. "Brutus"

- FZ

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" -
Arthur Schopenhauer

"Vulgarity is the crutch of an illiterate mutherfucker" - Chris Andries
Old 02-28-2016, 12:50 PM
Nice day for somethin'

Thank for the nice comments guys! Well, looks like I won't get drummed off the I-BMW site, and maybe they'll still let me in at SGR 2016!

Seeya
ATB
Old 02-28-2016, 03:13 PM
(Moderator) Tries to be slick but fails
Thanked 1,207 Times in 551 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev

The XR's are also very very interesting - none of these machines are for beginners in my opinion.

Bruce, you are absolutely right about that. The XR is maniacally fast, far too fast for inexperienced hands.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:41 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,774 Times in 2,047 Posts

Congrats Al! You're one if the last I'd have expected to trade the KS ! I hope you enjoy the new bike immensely!

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jargon' for this post:
Old 02-28-2016, 11:08 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Alan congratulations.
Was this change planned or spur of the moment?
Old 02-29-2016, 03:27 PM
Site Contributor

Congrats.....it's a win win !
Old 02-29-2016, 06:56 PM
Nice day for somethin'

It was more of a plan of the moment. It all started when I saw this poster for the 2016 Cascade Country Rendezvous:

That planted the germ of a thought. Next thing I knew I was riding my K1300S down to SSBMW for a test ride on a red S1000XR.

I pick up the red rocket on Wednesday. Ergs are just like on my GS, which I sold to my neighbor for exactly half way between trade-in and sticker price at SSBMW (plus half what I paid for the Garmin and Touratech mount and the Sargent seat). Yeah, there will never be another bike like that black-on-black K1300S. She's perfect. Only thing is, I feel guilty if I take her out and don't break the dollar mark at least once. My mental attitude (at least right now, after one really good test ride) is that the XR doesn't demand hoonish behavior, but it's always ready when you are.

Seeya
ATB
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Paughco' for this post:
Old 03-06-2016, 01:09 PM
Nice day for somethin'

Took the new Red Sled out for a little ride yesterday, to buy some kerosene for cleaning the chain at our local hardware store, and then some Chain Wax at Ride Motorsports in Woodinville. Cleaned the chain, then applied the Chain Wax, and waited for it to dry. The weather kept getting better and better. I took off for a familiarization ride, starting north toward Monroe on Hwy 203. Rode up past my son's place in the boonies of North Snohomish, but he wasn't there. So I rode to Harvey Field, then rode home on West Snoqualmie Valley Road. I found that gas station in Snohomish that sells 92-octane with NO ETHANOL!

I like the Dynamic ESA. I use the Rider+Baggage pre-load setting because I'm a large guy, You have to choose the pre-load setting when the bike is not moving.

Modes can be selected when the bike is not moving by simply pressing the "Mode" button on the right multi-function switch. Modes can be changed on the fly by first changing mode with the button, then rolling the throttle all the way off and pulling in the clutch. I typically use the "Dynamic" mode unless it's raining.

The XR does not have COMF, NORM, and PERF settings. Instead you select either ROAD or DYNAMIC on the fly, and the suspension automatically adjusts depending upon the situation. This works for me. I just leave it in ROAD for most riding, and select DYNAMIC when riding down the West Snoqualmie Valley Road. Oh man, that was fun!

The shift-assist thing works GREAT!! I pretty much only use the clutch when the bike is not moving. Love that "auto-blip" on the downshifts!

Yeah, it's a little sad, trading in OXCART. Hey, the K1300S is a complex machine. The XR is also, but they seem to have gotten past some of the major complexities with the S series engine. For example, you have to pull the induction system to get at the plugs and check the valves, but you don't have to drain the coolant. And when you do drain the coolant, you can refill it under atmospheric pressure, not under vacuum like with the K1300S.

Also, as stated earlier, I felt a bit guilty if I didn't let OXCART go over 100 mph at least once each ride. The XR doesn't demand speed, but it sure can do it. In a way, the XR reminds me of my trusty Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Zeke. Zeke would lay in your lap in the evening, and would lick people on the chin; the totally mellow, nice doggie. If he sees a squirrel, possum, or heaven forbid, another male dog, he instantly transforms into a hard muscled combat unit that you can barely hold onto.

OK, here is the obligatory picture:

This is the XR in my garage. The 415 on my key fob is "disturbing the peace" in cop-code.

OK, now I'm gonna affix the HRF sticker to the inside of the windshield.

Bottom line: The S1000XR has the performance of my K1300S (well, under 100 mph, anyway), combined with the ugliness of my R1200GS, all in a compact, arrest-me red package!

Seeya
ATB
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Paughco' for this post:
Old 03-06-2016, 03:06 PM
Site Contributor

Although you gave up TWO drive shaft bikes so you could find use for kerosene and spray lubricants I can't say your decision wasn't totally void of logic.

It's WAY prettier than a GS; but with similar ergos. And goes like a K13 or S1-R with merely a twist of the wrist.

Happy miles to you both.

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
Wunderlich/Rizoma handlebar conversion
Acerbis "Dual road" hand guards
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
2014 Triumph Rocket III Roadster 'Prudence'
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Big o'l chrome engine-bars w/ highway pegs.
CRAZY LOUD "Denali" air horn.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'FR1956' for this post:
Old 03-07-2016, 12:36 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,148 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

You'll have to make your way up here to show it to me.
I just might give it my blessings...
Have a blast!
Cheers bud

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Louis' for this post:
Old 03-07-2016, 10:28 AM
(Moderator) & Site Historian

Al,

First - a super congratulation on the new XR! Seems like you did a quantum "quick shift" changing out completely the bikes (plural) you had for this very exciting new ride!

Wish I was there at Southsound (you got the bike on my Birthday!), like I was way back several months ago when Beech got all taken by his test ride on the similar S1000R and bought that bike the same day.

Like your comment that, it doesn't "demand" speed, but it's there when you need it. Nice description of its performance envelop.

Have great fun on the new machine and thanks for posting (and that great Pic of your new and old bikes)

Miles
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Miles_Miller' for this post:
Old 03-07-2016, 07:40 PM
Shooting the gap

Congratulations on that XR! Looks beautiful! If you go to SGR you'll have at least one other XR there with you.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'EitanDC' for this post:
Old 11-12-2016, 10:57 PM
Nice day for somethin'

Fellow sled drivers: Well, now I've got 12,819 miles on my red S1000XR, and I am here to tell ya, I'm liking it more than ever. Had to ride from my secret HQ in the Snoqualmie Valley to Mount Vernon and back. Somebody up there was having a birthday party. It's November. The weather briefing (the radar app on my iPhone) showed one little band of rain between Everett and Marysville, and the rest was clear sailing. Guess what? The radar lied! Last summer's bugs are completely GONE from the leading edges of my bike! I had her in RAIN mode, just to save me from myself. There is a serious difference between RAIN and DYNAMIC, both in terms of traction control and ABS. Anyway, the trip up to MV was totally uneventful. The party was great! The ride back home was relatively uneventful, except that there was a big wreck on Eastbound Hwy 2, so I had to take an alternate route, down 405 to Woodinville, etc.

All in all, it was a fun ride. The bike fits me to a T. I think the bike is just starting to get broken in. What a machine!

Seeya
ATB
Old 11-12-2016, 11:57 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,148 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Quote:
Fellow sled drivers: Well, now I've got 12,819 miles on my red S1000XR, and I am here to tell ya, I'm liking it more than ever. Had to ride from my secret HQ in the Snoqualmie Valley to Mount Vernon and back. Somebody up there was having a birthday party. It's November. The weather briefing (the radar app on my iPhone) showed one little band of rain between Everett and Marysville, and the rest was clear sailing. Guess what? The radar lied! Last summer's bugs are completely GONE from the leading edges of my bike! I had her in RAIN mode, just to save me from myself. There is a serious difference between RAIN and DYNAMIC, both in terms of traction control and ABS. Anyway, the trip up to MV was totally uneventful. The party was great! The ride back home was relatively uneventful, except that there was a big wreck on Eastbound Hwy 2, so I had to take an alternate route, down 405 to Woodinville, etc.

All in all, it was a fun ride. The bike fits me to a T. I think the bike is just starting to get broken in. What a machine!

Seeya
ATB
This Bday party... Anybody I might know?

Glad you got to enjoy the ride. Lord knows how you hate to have to go to them parties...

Cheers bud

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 11-12-2017, 01:49 PM
Nice day for somethin'

Just an update. My XR now has 23,030 miles, and I'm as happy with the machine as ever. She's running like a champ. I do my own oil changes, every 6K, per the factory recommendations, usually a bit early due to upcoming rides. Every 600 miles I clean the chain with kerosene, then spray it down with Spectro Z Clean Chain Lube. When on the road I just spray it down every 600 miles or so.

At 18,000 miles I had the valves checked and the chain and drive sprockets replaced at Alyxmoto, all the way down in Buckley. Alex used to be the head wrench at SSBMW in Fife, and now he's the guy to see. He complemented me on my installation of the Clearwater Ericas.

The XR has been great on my favorite roads, such as 206 between Wasco and Condon, Oregon, and she makes light work of the traffic in Seattle.

Man, those Clearwater Ericas do put out the light! That Billie Junior on the back works very well also (Beech said it was too bright one day when we were riding from Ride West to this Cuban sandwich place up on Phinney Ridge in Seattle). One Saturday night last July I met my son up at the Evergreen Raceway in Monroe, WA. I rode the XR, and he showed up on his '98 Suzuki Katana. We enjoyed the race (NASCAR Mini-stocks, Super-stocks on the 3/8 mile oval, with some Figure 8s for good measure), then chit chatted in the parking lot until all the rest of the cars were gone from the parking lot. We each went our separate ways. This was my first official night use of the Ericas on a country road. Those Ericas really lit up the road on low beam, and really, REALLY lit up the road on high beam!

I've been running Metzeler M7RRs, and they are working great. Counting the original Pirellis, my XR is on her 5th set of tires, averaging 4,680 miles (388 miles standard deviation) per set.

I keep her in DYNAMIC mode most of the time, switching to RAIN when riding on wet roads. She's in ROAD mode now, which seems like the way to go with all the leaves on the road, etc. I normally keep the suspension in ROAD mode, unless I'm riding on a relatively smooth twisty road.

So my XR is still where it's at!

Here is a recent shot of my XR, waiting with the other bikes in the parking lot at the Birdsview Brewpub on Hwy 20, while we're all inside having a Hog Ridin' Fools Safety Meeting.

Seeya
ATB
Old 11-12-2017, 03:52 PM
Site Contributor

Good to hear you're still lovin her. Been thinking more lately about getting an s1r and having guilty feelings about selling the k13s, as you did. So we'll see. Regards.

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s
Old 11-12-2017, 05:42 PM

Hey, Al -

Agree with Bobby - always great to see a rider who absolutely has the right bike! That pic looks like it was taken during that summer stretch of 90 straight dry summer days!

We met at SSBMW when Beech was first getting his S1000R - three of us went to a lunch spot across the Freeway that day. Was worth remembering.

And, speaking of summer (and new bikes), it was last August on one of those sunny days near 80f at the shop. In a weak moment gave Wayne a deposit for an '18 GS-A he had ordered. Haven't seen it - got lost along the way, and now Wayne has been laid-off work.

Thanks for the report and great pic.

Miles
Old 11-12-2017, 05:51 PM
Site Contributor

Genuinely gladdened to hear such satisfaction with your bike after the miles and time.

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
Wunderlich/Rizoma handlebar conversion
Acerbis "Dual road" hand guards
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
2014 Triumph Rocket III Roadster 'Prudence'
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Big o'l chrome engine-bars w/ highway pegs.
CRAZY LOUD "Denali" air horn.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:54 PM
Nice day for somethin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Miller
Hey, Al -

...In a weak moment gave Wayne a deposit for an '18 GS-A he had ordered. Haven't seen it - got lost along the way, and now Wayne has been laid-off work...

Miles

Wayne is back now! Check in with him on that GS-A!

Seeya
ATB
Old 01-06-2018, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Wayne is back now! Check in with him on that GS-A!

Seeya
ATB

Al,

Should have updated that post. Had lunch with Wayne yesterday after taking the new '18 GS-A in for the "initial service" which he delivered to my house via shop Van three weeks back. Like he never missed a beat - selling bikes, seems happy - he has a new girlfriend.

There's a pic of the new bike over on the GS sub-forum: (thread titled: '18 GS-A: Every color has a theme - post #18)

Thanks for putting this info in print, though.

Miles
Old 01-06-2018, 12:17 PM
Nice day for somethin'

Miles: Glad you got back to see Wayne, and I'm also glad he was (is) there! Wayne is not only a great guy, he's also a member of the Hog Ridin' Fools!

Hope you're enjoying that big GS machine.

Seeya
ATB