I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 03-31-2016, 08:39 PM
Getting up to speed

New Clutch, Happy Rider

Last year I bought a 2007 K1200GT with 31k miles from National Powersports in Pembroke, NH. This was my first BMW. Since the day I picked it up, I thought the shifting was difficult, hard to get into neutral, a lot of gear crashing on shifting, and the box-of-rocks sound that so many other owners reported. Other BMW riders reported similar problems in the I-BMW forums so I thought this was BMW-normal. After 4k miles, the bike started to lurch forward when I shifted into first and neutral was impossible if he engine was running
MAX BMW in Hampton NH diagnosed the problem; a new clutch basket and plates to the tune of $2000. Yikes. I went back to National Powersports and told them that I thought the clutch was defective when I purchased the bike. I had not purchased the extended warrantee and was well over the 30 day / 1000 mile guarantee that came with the bike, so I was counting on their goodwill to help me out. They agreed to repair the clutch and split the cost with me. My share was $650. I thought this was exceptionally fair.

I picked up my bike today and I couldnít be more pleased. Itís quiet, and shifts like butter. I finally have the BMW experience I was hoping for. If you see a blue K1200GT doing 80 on the highway and the rider has a big, shit-eating grin, itís me.

B2BMILD
Old 03-31-2016, 08:41 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,825 Times in 2,817 Posts

Re: New Clutch, Happy Rider

Glad you were able to get it sorted!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'CJS350' for this post:
Old 04-01-2016, 12:21 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,541 Times in 1,180 Posts

Great the selling shop helped. Life is good. Enjoy the bike. Might think about a K13 drive shaft to smooth it up some more.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:19 AM
Getting up to speed

I had a similar behavior on my '07 GT -- getting in/out of neutral was a pita - and especially on the first early morning shifts; however, clutch failures are very noticeable at higher speeds/rpm when you roll-on the throttle at 80+ mph and the rpm increases and speed doesn't ...

I'm just now correcting the ABS pump (low voltage, brush replacement) and awaiting the return of the pump from ModuleMaster in Idaho - had to go with the 5year warranty and $250 fix....

Clutch and ABS are the 2 most common areas of failure on these bikes; additionally, you can make that clutch last a good bit longer by keeping your takeoffs under 1.5k rpm....

Additionally, you might want to do a 'cannisterectomy' - I still have to do this as well.... the fume canister gets clogged and create tremendous suction and is noticeable in 2 ways:
1. Idle failure at low rpm when cold and first 50 miles after fill-up at the pump....
2. Fuel cap suction - the clogged canister creates incredible suction and you have to work to get the fuel cap open.....

The 3rd, and worst result, is that if you don't correct quickly - the suction can create a seam failure in the tank! I ignored mine and my tank failed!!

My bike was covered under EW when this occurred, but BMW replaced the tank and cannister - no charge. There are instructions here on how to perform the "Cannisterectomy" and is a component on all recent BMW bikes -- an EPA introduced failure point....

I've owned several BMW bikes and I love the GT - it is the best combination of sport/touring machine I've owned thus far....

Enjoy!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'RCU2WYO' for this post: