I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

View Poll Results: Crash Poll!! Do You Feel Lucky, Punk?
I've crashed while moving multiple times. I can take it! 244 40.87%
I've crashed while moving only once. 148 24.79%
I've had multiple ZERO mph drops. 67 11.22%
I've had only 1 ZERO mph drop. 80 13.40%
No drops.. no crashes.. but I'm waaaaay over due. 31 5.19%
I'm too lucky, too pretty in my rose colored glasses.. Not gonna happen! 9 1.51%
NO crashes AND low lifetime mileage. 18 3.02%
Voters: 597. You may not vote until 'registered'. Please go here: http://www.i-bmw.com/register.php

Old 01-09-2007, 07:47 PM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,045 Times in 791 Posts

Crash Poll!! Do You Feel Lucky, Punk?

Recently, in one of my cheesy newsletters, I casually mentioned that there are two types of riders out there... Those who will crash.. and those who already have.

My thinking is..it's virtually inevitable that sooner or later you're gonna go down..

Well somebody contacted me after reading this and went off on me saying that I was irresponsible for putting that in print and I should NEVER say these things as

A. It will scare off potential riders and

B. It's simply not true...

Hence this poll. Thought I'd find out exactly what's going on out there in the real world..

BTW.. In case anyone is curious.. I've crashed only once in 35+ years, but I've had perhaps a dozen zero mph drops through the years..I admit it.

What say ye, my brothers?? Just curious...

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Pirate' for this post:
Old 01-09-2007, 07:50 PM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Re: Crash Poll!! Do You Feel Lucky, Punk?

Make this a poll and put a check in the crashed box for me...

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 01-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,785 Times in 1,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
Recently, in one of my cheesy newsletters, I casually mentioned that there are two types of riders out there... Those who will crash.. and those who already have..........
Yep. BTDT.

I remember hearing my brothers voice as I was sliding down the road all alone that night on my once upright Kawasaki, "When you fall, throw the bike away. You don't need it any more." Words to live by.

In 300,000 + miles --> 2 crashes, both my fault entirely. 1 walking speed drop from slick concrete and soap spray. 2 0mph slow drops. But I'd say "lucky". Not that I can take it. I'd really rather skip it entirely.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:53 PM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Oops, mised the poll, it's in there now. You should add another category, I'm 2 and 2!

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 01-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Can assemble bike blindfolded

3 surgeries and counting.

But, if you don't crash once in awhile. You are not testing your limits.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'cruizbz' for this post:
Old 01-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Banned Spammer
Thanked 1,815 Times in 1,069 Posts

Quote:
Recently, in one of my cheesy newsletters

Wasn't me, I just look at the pictures!
Old 01-09-2007, 08:04 PM
(Moderator) Drinks good beer!
Thanked 1,257 Times in 773 Posts

And I have the hardware to prove it

I can't drink american beer!

''Respect the person who has seen the dark side of motorcycling twice, and lived!''
IBA #60362 - Iron butt from DGR - Quebec

FIND OUT ABOUT 2018 DGR HERE:http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=61884

LOOKING FOR A LOST THREAD, HAVE A LOOK HEREhttp://www.i-bmw.com/forumdisplay.php?f=262
Old 01-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Site Contributor

First off - I am currently bikeless - sold my GT last April, but planning to add a new one this April

That said, had a few close calls, one 0 mph drop (but thankfully it was in the garage where it only dropped two or three inches before breaking the tail light of my sister in law's car! and simply broke my mirror).

I know I have been lucky and do expect to someday find myself with the rubber on the wrong side - - BUT - - since I expect this I always keep my guard up and TRY VERY VERY hard to be ATGATT (I would say I am 90+% with this - every once in a while I will have jeans on my 2 mile commute to work)
Old 01-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Greaser

2crashes,both my fault,about 25 yrs ago.One looking back at a girl on a horse,ran off the left side of the road,knocked me out but OK.Second time up shifting from a stop and the bike slipped out from under me on some thin mud washed out into the road.Just a couple skined places.

I have droped my bike over the years but I ain't droped the k,knock on wood.

I'll have to say though,there has been a few times I've been lucky.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Twisted Wrister

Pirate,

For about ten years I was in the " I'm too lucky, too pretty in my rose colored glasses.. Not gonna happen!". Oh, and I was a great rider. One good smack down at 65 and I then knew better. Anyone, anytime...All the gear, all the time!

Ride Fast.....Get there before the Accident!
Old 01-09-2007, 08:49 PM
Anchor Man

Have almost dropped my bike at 0 mph way too many times - but still no drops. I'll never give anybody any grief about dropping their bike because I'm afraid of the bad Karma.

Had my first ever crash last year.

Potential riders should be scared of crashing - promotes education and safety. Its when they're not scared about the possibility of crashing that they're a danger to themselves and others.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Getting up to speed

Send a message via Yahoo to rick brown

If you ride sooner or later you will crash. Hopefully it won't be the big one.
In just over 30 years of riding I have had 2 good crashes that put me in the hospital. And I think every bike I have ever owned has been knocked or laid down at the 0 mph at least twice. My new r1200clc has been laid down twice because I was not thinking and forgot the kickstand. The Lt I laid down once because I tried to stop on a wheel chair ramp, and my feet did not reach the pavement before the lean was past the point of no return. And the list could go on. The poll should allow you to make more than 1 choice. I would have picked multiple crashes while moving and multiple at o mph. Hey ride to live, live to ride, crashing lets you know you're alive.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Site Contributor

One solid wipeout (my fault) at 18 yrs. of age on my gpz750 (totaled), and another minor fork bending incident on the subsequent gpz750 (an 84'). Both harsh learning experiences, but I've been accident and drop free for the last 22 years. As to your original point, Pirate- yeah, bound to happen (an accident), and whoever called you out on that point is trying to whistle through the graveyard. What a pansy.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:45 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,821 Times in 1,099 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy

I have had two incidents. The first at 18 on my Kawasaki 900 where I was a victim of a hit and run at 2 a.m. Woke up two days later with just some real bad road rash. Helmet (Connecticut, no helmet law) , was scraped down right through the plastic . The second was a few years later around 1979 on my Maxim 650. I rear ended a Sheriffs car .by the time I hit, I was doing less than 2-3mph. We were both looking at a girl being harassed on the sidewalk.

Clean and green since then!

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
Old 01-09-2007, 10:11 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Crashed once and dropped once at 0mph about 20 years ago. Started riding again about 7 years ago trouble free, so far.

I agree, that it is not if, but when. Just seems like the odds, especially when you hear/read that 1 out of 3 will be involved in a motor-vehicle accident within their lifetime. I have exceeded that benchmark.

Cool poll!

Trey
Old 01-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Getting up to speed

Good food for thought.... When I was a kid, I road dirt bikes and had more crashes than I care to remember. Several years ago while living overseas, I rented a Ducati on the Island of Crete. It a very scenic island with mountainous roads along the coast. While accelerating out of a curve, I went right over a gravel slide and laid the bike down at about 70 or so. I thought I was a gonner, but I walked away with only minor road rash. I road my K12RS way too fast most of the time, but had no mishaps in over 30,000 miles. Last week I picked up a new '06 K12S. On the way home, I just about dropped it at a gas stop. It went way over, but I mustered every ounce of my strength (not much at 56) and pulled it up. Dropping a new bike would have been real tough on the ego.

Geary
Old 01-09-2007, 11:01 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

Send a message via Skype™ to chilei

Got my first bike at 10 years old... 37 now... YEP done LOTS of stupid stuff, crashed more than once... learned from each of them! You learn both good and bad from crashes... I do believe that if you ride in a way that you simply will not crash, you may be in for a suprise when someone else knocks you out of your comfort zone, there are times when you control your environment and other times when your environment is decided by someone else, these are the times when your judgement from crashes and near crashes come into play!

My crashes resulted in a couple trips to the ER, no trips to the OR, and as a result of each, I have a great deal of respect for how fast one can be removed from the comfort zone, and also keep me calm when others decide to knock me out of my comfort zone. I know the difference between confidence and overconfidence.

As a pilot, we have a known hour level where a person is at highest risk. When you first start flying, you are careful and by the book... then you get about 800 hours and feel that you have seen everything and can deal with anything, that is until you do something REALLY stupid. Between 800-1200 hours there will be something that you do that will be a slap in the face, this slap will sober you and "re-cage" your respect for what you do (if it didn't kill you). I think there is some truth to this in motorcycling as well.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
Old 01-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Has gotten a ticket or three..

33 years ago an oncoming pickup did not see me and turned right in front of me. My Right Fibula and tibia were smashed. That was the worst. I dropped a bike riding in the snow also on gravel in a corner. I am sure there have been one or two others and a few 0 mph drops. I wish they wouldn't happen but they will occasionally. It happens when you ride a bike that weighs 3 or 4 times what you do and you don't have perfect balance, see every slick or soft spot or ride a farm road etc. It comes with the territory. But the ride is worth it!
Old 01-09-2007, 11:07 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I had my first street dismount last spring on a morning ride to Kings Canyon outside of Fresno, CA. Hit a patch of sand in the crown of the road on a right turn, and the next thing I knew had low-sided the K-12 and was sliding on the right hip of my Vansons. I was fine, but did about $4500 in damage to the bike. It happended incredibly fast and never even got off the gas. I think I was untouched because I was wearing the right gear, period.

Last year I bought my first dirt bike, and if you want to go fast, you will go down. I had a pretty good get-off on New Years Eve and broke my collar bone. I was wearing all the gear, including chest protector, hard knee and elbow pads, moto-X boot, etc which I think greatly minimized the injury. I'll be back on as soon as I can though.

If you've never ridden dirt, trail or sand, you are really missing out. I ride mostly desert terrain by the Salton Sea, South East of Palm Springs. Modern off-road bikes are really made to take punishment, and if you go down, as you will, you can normally just dust yourself off, get back on and ride. The neat thing is you can ride at a different level than the street, with less fear of stacking up a $20K bike, or ending up under someones bumper.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:07 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

Send a message via Skype™ to chilei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
I rear ended a Sheriffs car .by the time I hit, I was doing less than 2-3mph. We were both looking at a girl being harassed on the sidewalk.
My first accident ever was rear-ending a female police officer, though I was in a pick-up!
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
Old 01-09-2007, 11:58 PM
Shooting the gap

I have had 5 crashes in my 28 years of riding . The first one took a year of riding on mulholland drive in southern califorina. I was on my way to the rock store. I had these so-called friends ask me to ride with them , later to find out they just took me with then to see if I would crash my new 750. If anything I have learned what not to do(try) from them all. Not experience you can aquire without In what seems like slow motion as you heading for the ground . Come to think of it ,the first time I went with these guys we came apond a Honda CBX pieced all over the road along with the fellow who was on a test ride before he bought it. A wallet full of money was found several yards away from him . I even was pulled over by a helicopter once with the same crew. The good old days
Old 01-10-2007, 03:19 AM
Kraut

Jerry,

This poll does say nothing because it doesn't regard personal mileages. Those who do >> 10,000 mi a year will have a greater likelihood to crash than those who only drive i.e. 2,000 mi.

Mafnred
Old 01-10-2007, 07:57 AM
The Terminator

Last crash was some two years ago, on my K1. Late in the evening, my fault completely. As I was sliding on the tarmac I saw my beloved K1 disappear in the darkness - in a shower of sparks. Tough.
When I was young I had several crashes, and the first thing I did after crashing was looking around to see if anybody had noticed it (so I could get away unseen). Last chrash though I stayed down until somebody picked me up and I didn't care if anybody had seen it. Other things get more important after turning 50 or so.....
BTW: I do between 15k and 20k miles per year.

You don't have to outrun the lion - you just have to outrun the other tourist...

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!
Old 01-10-2007, 08:21 AM
(Moderator) My Life is a Blur

Send a message via Skype™ to Karlb

numerous dirt bike crashes as a kid and three crashes on pavement, 2 on the street (1 a mechanical failure)
a hunk of fiberglass front fender vibration cracked off my airhead went around the front tire and jammed its bracket into the front wheel at about 60mph. I did a superman with only BJ jacket and boots for gear and was lucky enough not to hit my head (dumbass 17yo kid who thought he was bullet proof)

1 collection of errors that bit me on the street
bike I didnt know, street I didnt know, night time with a dark tinted face sheild and a gravel patch combined to high side me off a ducati 900sscr I had signed a check for 10 mins earlier (talk about pissed off at myself)
and one lowside on the track (the only place to push your limits IMHO)

actually there are oinly 2 kinds of riders those who will crash for the first time and those who will crash again.
BTW over 30 years of riding and prob over 300k miles and more smiles than that
oh yeah once in a gravel parkking lot as a 16 yoa on my airhead drunk and trying to impress some chicks I gassed it and cork screwed the bike into the ground, beer went everywhere and I ended up sitting on the gas tank
I quit drinking and riding that day as then my buddy crashed his bike then crashed his truck on the way to go get his bike with me in it.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:25 AM
Wookin' pa nub
Thanked 4,203 Times in 2,111 Posts

I treated this poll as pertaining to street bikes only. I have crashed several times on dirt, none too serious. I have had one low speed drop with a minor injury (no shoes and got a rock in my foot). There have been a few close calls over the years, two just yesterday (one my fault and one not my fault, about 8 hours apart).

If I continue to ride like I do today (commute plus) it is only a matter of time before I crash. I hope that my time with the pavement isn't debilitating or causes death. It is only a matter of time.

Joe
Old 01-10-2007, 10:32 AM
Postmeister

Send a message via Yahoo to jimmm

I too have had too many dirt bike crashes to count.A couple doctor office visits and a couple knee surgurys.Dropped at low speed or 0 speed on street bikes way more times then I care to count.None too bad.Well the dam rabbit that got stuck in my front wheel one night on a gravel road at 45-50 mph was a bit of a thrill.Major endo.Tore a lot of muscles loose when I stupidly laid a bike down on the pavement , then when I relised the danger was past I tryed to pick it up while still going 25 mph.Tank slapper from hell but never went down,just walked like a monkey for a week. I think most embarrassing was when the kickstarter on my Suzy water buffalo was stuck up my pant leg and I couldnt put my foot down to balance in the local eating joint.Picked it up with several locals tapping on the window laffing.I ate down the street that day.The more you ride, the better you become at it.Your skills improve.Interstate truck drivers have some of the best driving records out there and put more miles under there ass in a year than most of us do in a lifetime.Two years ago fast reflexes and years of dirt bike riding saved me,barely, from a head on.Watched her hit the car behind me head on.As I age my reflexes have slowed,and perhaps I have gotten smarter, as I now believe I am not really that good,just lucky as hell.Luck is like piss in a boot, sooner or later you can pour it all out.I have every intention of riding as long as my health allows,and I believe I will fall down,go boom,a few more times.I will continue to do whatever I can to remind me that death is coming, I cannot hide,my only way to beat death is to live the best way I can.Who ever believes this is a very safe sport is lieing to himself.The risks are real, but managable.By taking calulated risks,wearing the gear,riding sober,(sober meaning no booze,even one beer,drugs, legal and otherwise) and riding with a clear head.Riding after catching wife with your neighbors poodle does not count as having a clear head.After over 40 years on two wheels and past 300,000 miles I still find myself getting sloppy at times.Been thinking of a couple MSF courses just to see where I do stand.Maybe some track time.I feel sorry for the people who havent fell down yet.As I dont feel they have a full grasp of what it is we are doing.As much fun and joy we get out of riding, this is still serious shit.I dont think you can get that untill your in a bathtub with a bottle of bourbon and a scrub brush and tweezers digging rocks out of your body.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:37 AM
Getting up to speed

Hey Karl, does track count?

Had my share of crashes, hits and near-misses. Have no one and nothing to blame for any of them but me. Most spectacular was putting a new ('77) R100RS over the side of a mountain just north of Lake Tahoe.
When you come to a fork in the road, take it.
But remember to add a little throttle to settle the suspension.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I just picked up David Hough's Proficient Motorcycling, to read for the second time.

For those that have not read any of his material it is worth the time.

Trey
Old 01-10-2007, 11:09 AM

Crashed in mid July 1972 (5 broken ribs and shoulder blade) and again 20 years later in mid July 1992 (several of the same ribs cracked again). Will not be riding in mid July 2012!

Have had many 0 mph drops in parking lots, garages, etc.

Riding Like the Wind (trying not to fall off!)...

CHASMAN
Black '02 K12RS
Old 01-10-2007, 11:22 AM
(Moderator) My Life is a Blur

Send a message via Skype™ to Karlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocook
Hey Karl, does track count?
Only if you intended to be on the track when you crashed, if you wipe out and end up on a track from the crash I say you get a free pass on that one!!
Old 01-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,748 Times in 2,792 Posts

After 35 years and several hundred thousand miles of of riding, I've dropped the bike at 0, and fallen at speeds faster than that - several times, each.

I have two thoughts,

(1) every crash at speed over 0 happened more quickly than I could have imagined, (only injury of consequence was a broken collarbone in 1981).

And (2) as a good friend of mine stated while peering at his bike lying on its side,

"The natural resting position of these things is not vertical"

My best advice based upon my experience, pay attention to what your are doing.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Shooting the gap

I have had two crashes in the street requiring medical attention, the most serious a dislocated shoulder. At least two other crashes on the street not requiring any medical attention. I have had so many crashes on dirt bikes as a kid that I really don't have an accurate count. All in all lots of scraped off skin. I am 54 now and started riding when I was 13. I have tended to be a little faster that I should be, but I am beginning to slow down...a little bit.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:02 PM
Supporting Vendor

Two minor crashes over the years. First one was around about 1962 or so riding a neighbor's Honda 50 on a logging road. Cut my forearm enough to require stitches. No biggie except for the fact that my dad had told me to never ride Newt's Honda and guess who the only doctor in town was? Yeah, my dad.........................Second crash was 1966 riding to school on the Ducati 125 I bought with my settlement check after my first year fishing in Alaska. Wet road + 90 degree corner + dumb kid=crash. No harm nor damage-just went tumbling along through a deep ditch with tall grass. Kids in a car behind me said I looked pretty funny going head over heels . Was soaking wet from the rain soaked grass. Been so long ago I can't remember how embarrassed I probably was.....
Old 01-10-2007, 01:17 PM
Never Sarcastic.

I've only been riding a few years, done maybe 11,000 miles, did one 0mph drop two weeks after getting my first bike - a Suzuki SV650S. It tipped just past where I could recover it, I fought it all the way to the ground. It sufferred no real damage, just a tiny scuff mark on the muffler. I've probably been lucky a few times.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Consultant & Former Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to locus Send a message via Yahoo to locus Send a message via Skype™ to locus

Guys
as far as I can see, no one has mentioned "The Freeze-up".

IOW = Scared Stiff

And through, all my years and a lot of miles roadwise, I have found that only training could get you/me out of a situation like a 'freeze-up'....

Well you might ask: 'freeze-up'.. has that Norwegian gone cold or what..??

No I am talking about getting so scared in a sitution that you forget all learned pratice.. and do silly things...

I have added a film clip that will show how 'we' can act in a 'pressed' situation, doing things that are unheard of and that takes our mind away from a 'problem' that could actually be threated in a 'trained way'. By this ending up in a sorry way.....

Take a look at this 'clip', and take a look at how the driver actually uses his feet to 'brake' trying to avoid the ahead problem... ending in a sorry way.
Everyone with some miles on the road must have had a 'freeze-up' in some kind of way, but not everyone will learn from it.. and by this actually train to avoid this for later purposes....

a moral, is there one? Go out and Ride... but do it as a trainingday, learn to master different situations and listen to more experienced riders 'how to cope'... or to a course in riding skills.
The more you train, the better you will be. Better in what? Riding your bike.. remember that it takes a lot of time before you are as good the bike are, and you could state that YOU have gone above its limits...

Personally I train each time I ride.....trying to learn.... my bike's potentials.. but I do know that I will not in my time reach my "S"'s limits. What a BIKE...

Take care out there Guys, remember; Ride Fast but Ride Safe !!

Ride Fast - Ride Safe !
There is no road to happiness, happiness is the road
Old 01-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Postmeister

Quote:
Well somebody contacted me after reading this and went off on me saying that I was irresponsible for putting that in print and I should NEVER say these things as

A. It will scare off potential riders and

B. It's simply not true...

Hence this poll. Thought I'd find out exactly what's going on out there in the real world..

Pirate,

I think the irate person that responded to your article is living in a fantasyland. If talk about crashing scares away a ‘potential’ rider, not my problem. Every time we saddle up we are a taking the risk of a crash. If you are unwilling to accept this fact, then I don’t want you on the streets riding. And giving this more thought and based on the poll, yeah we will eventually go down. The severity of this crash depends on how well we are prepared. I look at it with three factors that include the proper gear, the defensive or evasive maneuvers to elude dangers, and the wild card issue that you have absolutely no control (ie: that cell phone toting soccer mom or that left lane assassin).

The gear we wear is an easy issue. Yeah, I hear All The Gear, All The Time and another mantra 'Dress for the crash, not the ride'. These ideas are great, but wants the point if you don't do it every we saddle up our steel ponies. So practice what you preach. After my crash last year, I'm sure I would have been in far worse shape if I wasn’t wearing the leather and armor. I have the gear, might as well wear the stuff. One thing I learned, the stuff works - wear it!

Knowing your limits and countless other bits of information to help escape the evil asphalt demons. I think probably the best is going to an advanced motorcycle riders course. Also, take it to the track, you’ll be amazed at the different technique you can learn and apply to the streets. Even some of the most seasoned riders might have a bad habit or have over looked something. Heck sometimes it just a good to have your mind refreshed of some of the basic riding techniques. I like reading Pirates list of "How to survive on your bike." The stuff works, apply it!

If some crazy psycho hosebeast decides to make you a fancy new hood ornament, then you are FUBAR. I am sure there are multitudes of scenarios that we can ponder over a beer. Sometimes we have to realize that some situations are not in our control and we are along for the ride (pardon the pun on that one).

ONON-
Mark

'02 Kawi EX500
'03 K1200RS Black
'04 K1200RS Zebra - R.I.P.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:06 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2007

Do dirt bike crashes count? This was a quick low speed slide out in very slick mud. Baja 03.

I crashed on the road a few times in my youth and once on the K at 70 MPH in Kansas. Hydroplaned with slick tires. DO NOT ride in the rain with little tread.

02 Kawasaki KLR 650..."Goat Killer". Now living in Chile
00 BMW K1200 RS RED
17 Honda CRF250L ABS ... My "LRP"
"Where you stand depends on where you sit"
Rufus E Miles JR.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:35 PM
Site Contributor

Post Re: Crash Poll!! Do You Feel Lucky, Punk?

I had finished a full rebulding of an older Goldwing. It had been found outside of a bodyshop in Scarborough, Ontario. I had been by the shop about ten times and during those times the old delapitated bike was there.
I looked for the owner to ask if the bike was for sale, and was told it had been droped off several month ago to let one of the shops empyees look at it which he did and didn't want to buy it, so duing the conversation I found the bike belonged to a budy. Called him up and got the scoop on it It had been a old stock unit at Honda Canada that was used for teaching and somhow it had been in a fire by one of the students. My friend had bought it from Honda for salvage and was going to scrap it when he had mentioned ithe the bodyshop emploee.
Well that whare I came in I striped the bike to the frame engine out raplace the burnd parts<and made it a naked mole rar bike it took 3 yaers to do this. Put it un the roud drove it for a summer season and in October droped it severly to a point where the engine was damaged so was my pride as this was only the second time I had droped it the first being at a Tim Hortons slip on some antifreeze a car had released on the pavement. somuch damage to the right head . FIx the head with a replacment sold the bike, stayed of for two years till I could obtain somthog again .
the crash was like slow mo glad to have on my shoe helmut. So you see it doesn't have to be a slow or fast crash that hurts it's the loss of your favorite steed that really can hurt. Mike R I Now have my new wife it's a blue K75ts.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,045 Times in 791 Posts

crazy psycho hosebeast?? Is that a technical term?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathogen7
Pirate,

I think the irate person that responded to your article is living in a fantasyland.

If some crazy psycho hosebeast decides to make you a fancy new hood ornament, then you are FUBAR. I am sure there are multitudes of scenarios that we can ponder over a beer. Sometimes we have to realize that some situations are not in our control and we are along for the ride (pardon the pun on that one).

ONON-

Mark

Old 01-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Getting up to speed

Wun krash. No damig. Just bummpped mi hed a litle.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Site Contributor

30 years ago at age 18 a big crash on a bike in June with a head injury and shoulder rotater.Finished any chance of a football career.My mom was right.My dad (whom we just lost this week) was my only hope for me riding again as long as I lived at home. One more thank you Dad.One low speed drop on K12 because of it's flame out with the 6.0 software.How many near misses???? It's not a matter of if but when if we ride fast.Wear the gear for a crash....Tom
Old 01-10-2007, 07:42 PM
Remembered Member

Crashed twice, although the second one was at a mere 20 mph and did the most damage to me. The first crash was a high-speed get-off (farmer watering his field and had the road wet in a turn) into a broccoli field only resulted in being caked with mud and the stench of broccoli. I rode the bike home both times and it was the same bike.

Dropped a bike once at an intersection when my foot slid out and I dropped one in the garage while I was cleaning it. The wife knocked one bike over when she backed out of the garage without looking behind the car.

There are scratch marks on the plastic of the present K bike and that's from the plastic not staying where I put it after taking it off the bike. I now put the plastic on carpet instead of standing it up on the concrete garage floor.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:12 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,785 Times in 1,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManfredH
Jerry,

This poll does say nothing because it doesn't regard personal mileages. Those who do >> 10,000 mi a year will have a greater likelihood to crash than those who only drive i.e. 2,000 mi.

Mafnred
I don't think the statistics support that at all, since 48% of all accidents are alcohol related single vehicle. Those aren't 10,000 per year riders. But certainly there's some correlation between miles and odds.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Sorry for the late input....

About 300,000.0 miles since 1969 (I know, low miles) and first crash at about 245,000 (hit and run from behind on a K-RS). Second at about 275,000 miles (blind left-turning driver; me on a K-R - no impact but a rough stoppy/droppy). Numerous close calls when younger while exceeding the capabilities of the bike, my experience and the laws of physics but never a go down.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Getting up to speed

Never hit anything, ...300+K miles in 35 years, 2 times on my first bike, first season, No significant damage either time, scratches essentially. 1 time on my second bike, third season; two broken arms in a hi-side while avoiding a car as it backed, full tilt, out of a driveway. Then 28 years till a sub 15mph low side on diesel, unfortunately spilled right in front of a down hill stop sign. That one hurt...
If newbies know they're mortal at least then they're joining our pursuit not out of ignorance... If that scares them away then IMHO they ought to look for something else to define themselves besides riding...

Roger

Real glory springs from the silent conquest of ourselves.

"No man was ever so much deceived by another as by himself."
Old 01-10-2007, 09:50 PM
Getting up to speed

I think it's understood that a large percent of accidents are alcohol related. And that most statistics are based on per 1,000 miles riden or driven by most agency that post this type of stats. Most by insurance, or gov. types looking to make a point. In my 30 years of riding I think I have laid down my bikes at least once before the first 3,000 miles. Any time I get a new bike something will happen to scratch it and remind me that its just a bike and will not remain new. Presently I am riding a 94cl that I bought sept05. I now have just over 21,000 on it and I was run over at a stop light before the bike had 1,000 miles on it. But thats not the worst of it. I knocked it over in the garage the second day I had it. With in the next 3,000 miles I had forgotten to put the kickstand down once at work and once at a friends causeing one of those embarassing moments when everyone is watching you mess up. Maybe it's a sign. If you ride things will happen. I've been there so many times it is hard to keep track. live to ride ride to live crashes remind us that we are alive. Pain also lets know we are alive. I have had 2 major accidents and the rest just accidents.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Recently, in one of my cheesy newsletters, I casually mentioned that there are two types of riders out there... Those who will crash.. and those who already have.

2 crashes, both while young and stupid racing through canyons trying to keep up with faster guys. Learned a hell of a lot from the second one. The gouges in the top of the helmet told me to never ever ride without one.

I take calculated risks in my life. I am a motorcycle rider and a technical trimix scuba diver. Both will kill you if you aren't careful. Dress for the crash and plan for contingencies in diving. If you are careful, your chances are good. If you run into trouble, at least you are prepared to handle it as much as you can be.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:05 PM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,027 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

I've certainly had my share, but never one that I didn't walk away from, and never a collision with another vehicle. In my AFM racing days (many years ago), I once highsided at 100 mph+ ... I walked away with a broken collar bone and separated shoulder, but raced again (painfully) two weeks later, in order to stay competitive in the series. The experience gave me great respect for ATGATT, and the professional racers who ride through injuries all season long. My conclusion is that, if you wear the proper gear, and avoid objects, the greatest crash injury is usually to your wallet.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:28 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjamison
... technical trimix scuba diver.

What's technical trimix? Sorry to get off topic.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Tri-Polar

[quote=cabnfvr]Yep. BTDT.

I remember hearing my brothers voice as I was sliding down the road all alone that night on my once upright Kawasaki, "When you fall, throw the bike away. You don't need it any more." Words to live by.

Yup, I've been down twice pretty good. Once at 45mph directly in front of a cop who when I saw him panicked and nailed the front disc brake only and went over the handlebars and wrecked my (borrowed) buddies 400 Kawa triple 2-stroke. Had to buy it. Then, caught some gravel on a 45mph curve at 80 on my Yama 750 triple shafty, went down and slid into home plate pretty good. Picked up the bike with one arm (thought other was broken) and tried to get it out of the road, pushed it to the side and let her drop. Yes , a good rule of thumb is never, never, let go of the bike until your down. Then it won't hit you and kill you. Take her down like a rodeo rider, then let her go. Then you can have fun and go to the hospital and have the nurses scrub the gravel out of your legs and arms with a pot scrubber and betadine with no pain killer. I love my bike.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Wookin' pa nub
Thanked 4,203 Times in 2,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbre
What's technical trimix? Sorry to get off topic.

Trimix is a combination of oxygen, helium and nitrogen that gives benefits over air or other gases (nitrox) while scuba diving. By adding helium you reduce the negative effects of breathing high partial pressures of nitrogen (the bends or nitrogen narcosis at depth) and avoid oxygen sickness.

Joe
Old 01-11-2007, 03:24 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoe
Trimix is a combination of oxygen, helium and nitrogen that gives benefits over air or other gases (nitrox) while scuba diving. By adding helium you reduce the negative effects of breathing high partial pressures of nitrogen (the bends or nitrogen narcosis at depth) and avoid oxygen sickness.

Joe

Nice explanation! I couldn't have put it better myself! Usually when you do a Trimix dive, its deeper than 185feet deep and involves high oxygen mixes to switch to for accelerated decompression. The deepest I have been was just under 250 feet.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:09 PM
Getting up to speed

Vespa 50 Special - crashed 3 times
Yamaha RD250LC - crashed more times than I can remember
Yamaha FZR600 - crashed at over 100mph, broke my wrist and suffered lots of gravel rash
Vespa PX125T5 (SWMBO's) - crashed on ice 15 years ago - my last crash, so I'm well overdue another one...

2006 K1200S
Old 01-11-2007, 04:30 PM
Twisted Wrister

I don't think 0 mph drops are crashes. Eliminate them and there are a lot of folks thankfully without anything to report. I've bent up a fair amount of metal but no injury involved. Lucky !

geo
Old 01-11-2007, 04:36 PM
Getting up to speed

I thought a trimix could be I hit a car bounced off hitting the pavement sliding into a wall or guard rail. Having made contact with multiple objects.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Been down thrice. Hpoe no more, but lane splitting in So Cal., It's only a matter of time before it happen's again.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:11 PM
curvaholic

Send a message via Skype™ to leftcoast

Couldn't find the right category....done too many boo boos....

1. Got whacked by the ubiquitous "oncoming left-turning f*ckwad" (OLF?)....the non-signaling variety. Never saw me or my Valkyrie ( shit the headlight is the size of a basketball )....blind old man. ..... probably me in a few years.
Hospital + Broken arm + steel plates & screws; assorted bumps & bruises.

2. right turn off ramp @ < 10MPH. Juuuuussssttt touched the fog line. It was 5-minutes-old-paint. Wet paint really IS like ice. Down I went.

3. Decelerating slow left turn...maybe 5 MPH. Thot I was in 1st.. it was neutral. Fortunately is was in a crowd of pedestrians at the time .

4. just did this.....U-turn @ 1MPH...with an unnoticed flat rear tire. Don't try this at home, a flat rear tire really changes the turn-in characteristics of a bike.

Oh ya....

5 Then there was the time I walked away from my VFR without putting down the kickstand.....turns out they are there for a reason....

So a couple crashes, a few drops, & I don't much like any of 'em.
Old 01-12-2007, 03:20 PM
WACKY RACER

Re: Crash Poll!! does it involve luck??????

Maybe we should have a second poll,devided into two parts:
1.Single vehicle crashes, with and without alcohol.
2.Crashes involving hitting or being hit by another vehicle,with and without alcohol.

bert brumfield
Kernersville, NC
2007 K1200GT
2007 K1200R-SPORT
1998 K1200RS [TAXI]
MSF Instructor
RETIRED
Old 01-12-2007, 03:42 PM
WACKY RACER

Yea, I have crashed. First time, 16 years old on a friends motorcycle. came to a stop sign and froze. could't remember where the brakes were and crashed into a garage door. Didn't get back on a bike for 12 years, [those things will kill you. Should be outlawed.]

Jump forward to my buying my first real bike at age 28. started street riding and off road racing till my mid 40s, [over 15 years racing offroad]. Crashed hundreds of times. Broke lots of bones, too many to keep track of, some more than once. Finally had no friends to go racing with me; they were all too old, and I was in my mid 40s.

Started street riding only. Hondas, Yamahas, and finally my first BMW in 1984 [an r65]. I have over 400k miles since on BMWs and can not count my street crashes on both hands. oil slicks, sand, gravel, too hot entering tight curves, and ice caused most of them. Have been down twice with the wife on back [once I forgot i was towing my trailer and flipped the trailer in a tight curve, another time was ice on the parkway].

Every single crash on the street has been a single vehicle accident - rider error. I have NEVER EVER hit or been hit by another vehicle.
I contribute this to:
1.my dirt riding skills, [avoiding trees, rocks and other racers - and lots of crashing]
2.over 400k miles of experience learning the hard way what I did wrong AND
3. my 10 years experience teaching MSF riding cources and learning from the mistakes that I saw and tried to correct in others.

It's not riding skills, reflexes, and cordination that keeps you out of accidents. It's using your brain and looking far ahead to avoid potential hazardous situations.

The best athletics can still crash if they do not look ahead to avoid what they are riding into that can hurt them.

RIDE LIKE YOU ARE INVISABLE, AND STAY AWAY FROM THE METAL CAGES THAT CAN HURT YOU.

bert brumfield
Kernersville, NC
2007 K1200GT
2007 K1200R-SPORT
1998 K1200RS [TAXI]
MSF Instructor
RETIRED
Old 01-14-2007, 01:18 AM
Shooting the gap

I have been riding for a little over 30 years and have been down twice at low speeds. And once at 1 mph, I count that one as dropping the bike.

My first was maybe 20 years ago. I was going about 20 mph in an underpass, used the front brake, and the next thing I knew I was on the ground with a badly scraped knee and elbow. It happened so fast I never really knew what happened. I was wearing a t-shirt, blue jeans, and cowboy boots.

About two years ago I was traveling about 60 mph on a 4 lane highway, I was on the far right lane. A car slowly pulled out from the left onto the left lane then decided to pull onto my right lane. I hit a brakes hard but couldn't avoid him. I estimate I hit him going about 10 mph. The bike and I slid less than 20 feet. It seems like it happened in slow motion, I remember thinking, shit, I am not going to stop in time and I am going to hit him! My front wheel hit his rear bumper and the bike and I slowly tumbled to the right. I didn't have a scratch on me, I was wearing full protetive gear.

Bottom line. The protective gear is expensive but worth it. I wear it all the time.

Ron