I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300GT > "K13GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13GT" Technical Q&A K1300GT- Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 07-07-2016, 11:45 PM
Getting up to speed

Overheating Problem (K1300GT)

I am brand new to the forum... and brand new to the K1300GT... I purchased a 2009 today... on the way home I got stuck in Atlanta's hot stop and go traffic. The red triangle came on and the temp gauge was at max. I stopped until it cooled down. Had to do that twice. When traffic cleared and I could get back to 60-70mph it quickly came back to normal temp range.

When I stopped the bike - I could not get the radiator fan to keep running if the engine was off - should the fan keep running? Is there something specific I must do to keep it running?

I will check the coolant level tomorrow.

No indications of leaks... previous owner said he's not had that problem.

Anything else I should check for?

Thanks for your help,
Chris
Old 07-08-2016, 01:05 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,533 Times in 1,173 Posts

Re: Overheating Problem (K1300GT)

Well first, welcome. Next, if the bike is turned off via the ignition the fan goes off. Your weather there the past few days is super hot and your in traffic. Not a good thing for a road bike like yours. It is hard to get to the back side of the radiator with the plastic on. So, you need to do a cleaning job from the front. Though I think you need to learn to remove the plastic and that will let you flush from the back. Get some Hydrogen Peroxide and spray it on the front of the radiator to remove the bugs. Let is set for a couple of moments, hose it off. Maybe a couple of times. Now do the same with some spray solvent like Simple Green. then hose it super well off. Now if your brave, some brake cleaner for those non water solvent greases and road grime. And Hose that stuff off. The best way to clean the radiator is to remove it but that is a difficult operation and requires research, as refilling it has to be done with vacuum on it and a particular procedure. The fins on the radiator are super fine and thin. It takes patients to pick out the bugs and rocks with a fine metal pick and not fold them over. Time to learn about your new bike and dive in. I suggest you pick up a Clymers manual from Amazon and it is very helpful. Along with the great back log of information here if you use the search function and "Sailor" is the LT man, his knowledge of these bikes is beyond reproach.
One last thing, there is a chance that the cooling system is air bound from improper refilling with coolant. It has to be done while under a rather high vacuum. If the coolant was changed recently this might be a possibility as air can get trapped not allowing coolant to flow properly.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 07-08-2016, 02:37 AM
Getting up to speed

Hi Chris.

Had exactly the same issue recently - even though England in summer is a bit of an oxymoron..

The Rad on the K-GT has really fine fins and mine was blocked with all manner of gunk.

I ended up removing the fairing (sides and lowers) and the rad fan and I spent a few days saturating the rad front and back with rad cleaner ( we use a product at work called enviorocoil for use on traction rads on trains). I let it soak in and then hosed it out from both sides. I repeated the process until I was happy that the rad was as clean as it was going to get.

After re-build, I ran the bike around town and the temp gauge never crept above halfway.

All the best.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Paulvt1' for this post:
Old 07-08-2016, 01:01 PM
Getting up to speed

Thanks for the comments... I took the fairing off... the radiator overflow was down 2 cups... so got some Pentofrost and put in 2 cups 50/50... I also soaked the radiator and washed out any debris. The oil cooler was much dirtier than the radiator but I cleaned them both out real good. Hopefully this will solve the problem. And hopefully I can stay out of Atlanta rush hour traffic when it is 95F outside!

Thanks for your help!!!
-Chris
Old 07-08-2016, 03:05 PM

Could you give some feed back in a couple of weeks? It is always nice to hear solutions to any problems.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:25 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
Could you give some feed back in a couple of weeks? It is always nice to hear solutions to any problems.

Yeh - for sure. I took it for a ride today. No problems. Unless I get into a similar situation it may be difficult to know if there is any other problem. The problem occurred after 3 hours of driving and then hitting stop & go traffic in 95F weather. But I think (& hope) all is well now.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:14 PM
Getting up to speed

I road today in 95F weather and the temp gauge stayed at 50% - so I think the low fluid and cleaning the radiator and oil cooler did the trick.

Thanks for your help!
-Chris
Old 07-14-2016, 10:56 PM
Site Contributor

Many had similar problems with K1200GT. I had the radiator changed under warranty after eperiencing the same problems you described. (It took them 3 weeks but I had usage of a few bikes meanwhile )
Stock radiators are definitely too finicky on these bikes
Sorry for this unpleasant answwer, but you may have to bite the bullet and guet à new rad
Keep us posted.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:58 PM

Hey, if you pull it, I'll pay for the shipping and take it off your hands. (plus lunch money).
S1000R
I need a Vespa
Old 10-14-2016, 09:23 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Ended up with mine constantly overheating in traffic. After trying the cleaning trick which didn't work, I ended up getting a new radiator.

The dealer said the old one had corroded its fins on the outside and was no longer effective.

The new radiator works a treat, however having to treat the radiator as a "consumable" is a bit annoying.

Rgds, Dave.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:39 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehants
Ended up with mine constantly overheating in traffic. After trying the cleaning trick which didn't work, I ended up getting a new radiator. The dealer said the old one had corroded its fins on the outside and was no longer effective. The new radiator works a treat, however having to treat the radiator as a "consumable" is a bit annoying.
Rgds, Dave.

Dave,
Do you have a K1200 or 1300? Though I imagine they are the same. I've not had any more problems. When I changed the oiled I checked the radiator fluid level and topped it off but only a few ounces needed. This week I got stuck in Atlanta traffic again. It was not quite as hot outside but the same stop and go traffic and had no problems. Did the dealer tell you how to keep the radiator from corroding?

-Chris
Old 10-14-2016, 09:39 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehants
Ended up with mine constantly overheating in traffic. After trying the cleaning trick which didn't work, I ended up getting a new radiator.

The dealer said the old one had corroded its fins on the outside and was no longer effective.

The new radiator works a treat, however having to treat the radiator as a "consumable" is a bit annoying.

Rgds, Dave.
Remind your dealer of all the rad problems expérienced with the Ks. Who knows, that might convince you to pay me a béer sometimes
Old 07-05-2018, 02:33 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Hi, I need to replace the cooling fan on my k13 and was hoping it would be easy. Can I get to it without taking the radiator off? After I've removed the fairing that is.
Chris
Old 07-05-2018, 03:04 PM
Entering the on-ramp

My radiator corroded away and was replaced. My dealer recommended a magic them called ACF-50. It was designed for aircraft. It works by eating the corrosion but not the metal. I spray it all over the bike twice a year(keeping it off the rubber and brakes). I think the stuff is totally magic.