I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW S-1000 Series Motorcycles > S1000 XR > "S1000 XR" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 07-28-2016, 06:26 PM
Site Contributor

Talking track comparsion s1000rr v s1000xr

Just wanted to share a recent review I'd come across - located at
https://vimeo.com/176430962

Was surprised by the results... not sure how familiar the rider was with the track? perhaps having more laps in and being on the xr last may have helped? and perhaps a tighter track as with long straight like (as paulmogs calls it) 'Stoner Island' with a +300kmph straight, I would think the rr would pull more seconds from the xr... regardless I still managed to get a chubby with another positive review on the xr! cheers.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'fisso' for this post:
Old 07-28-2016, 07:22 PM
Site Contributor

Re: track comparsion s1000rr v s1000xr

Very interesting. Thanks for posting that.

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s
Old 07-28-2016, 07:34 PM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Hi Chris

Thanks for the video, for some reason I can't see it from vimeo.

This is the same, but from youtube

Old 07-28-2016, 07:51 PM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

IMO is not a fair comparision, are not in the same category.

Logically you can compare if you don't push the S1RR to his limits, in fact are important differences: power, rider position, frame geometry, front end, frontal area and some more making real differences: one for race, another for touring

btw, if you see videos posted by our friend Alex (MirageZA) you can also compare the GS1200 with the S1RR
Old 07-28-2016, 10:57 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,474 Times in 3,168 Posts

I'm not surprised. Assuming the rider went out and rode both bikes to the best of his abilities. I'm certainly not an expert by any stretch of the imagination - but I do get to several tracks frequently.

I have said time and time again to my track day friends that the RR is harder to ride fast than almost any of the 600cc sport bikes.

Reason it has an awesome engine that truly explodes in the upper rpm range - for many tracks the performance is overkill -in fact making it harder to ride fast - because you have to really work hard to find that happy medium of riding fast and smooth compared to getting up to crazy speeds to have to haul the bike back down to negotiate the next corner.

The XR has less HP don't get confused it still has more than enough - it is tuned for rideability on the street - way better med range - so the power hit is down lower and for lots of tracks that is a good thing.

The XR sitting up taller and wider bars - makes the handling/turning feel easier because of the extra leverage it in fact is.

On track I get passed by riders on Supermotards all the time - they have way less HP but they are lighter and have a very different steering geometry. The HP they have is much more manageable/usable and they can keep the bike on throttle more time than you can with the RR.

I think the XR has similar traits and again it is easier to ride it at a fast pace. For the average to above average rider I can see why the XR can and does so well on the track compared to the RR.

Now that is all well and good - as they stated in the video - why have a dedicated sport bike that really is only good for one type of riding when you can have a bike that you can commute on - tour on - and let it rip at the track.

Well my answer to that - that is perfectly fine for the rider that is going to take it to the track on occasion - in fact probably the smart purchase.

But and this is a big but in my opinion - once you start taking the bike to the track regularly - you will need to start setting it up for that venue. The suspension even though electronic - the tires - once you start getting some pace - you just can't run street tires - brakes - protection - maintenance all of these things come into play.

Again you could argue you can do all that to the XR but once you setup suspension and start using race tires just those two items - changes the bike - so much that riding it on the street is not going to work.

And in the end when you get to a high enough level - if you ever do - everything on the RR is designed for one thing - to ride the motorcycle fast.

I can't make my RR work for me anymore as a dual or multi purpose motorcycle - just to hard and labor/time consuming to do it.

The bike is setup for track duty - all the lights have been disabled - no directionals - no mirrors - no license plate brackets. No street tires - no street brakes - suspension dialed in as close as I can get it for track riding - very stiff compared to what I would want on the street.

And in regard to you can do all of this to the XR - my question would be why? The cost of the XR is basically the same as an RR - so if you purchase the XR to run strictly at the track - you are going to have to do more to it to get it to perform like an RR in the end.

And if you purchase an RR to tour on - commute on - and track duty - again why - purchase the XR it is already setup for all of this.

Gets back to something I always say - purchase the correct motorcycle for what it is you want to do - some riders like and have great luck with the one bike does it all - it has never worked for me - because one bike just can't do it all.

And I like having more than one bike - if I need them or not.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post: