I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 07-30-2016, 09:53 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Beginning to panic

I just bought my first BMW motorcycle, an 08 GT with 19k miles. Everything works as it should on the bike with no issues. It seems like the more I read the more it seems like the bikes are unreliable, Is this the case?
Old 07-30-2016, 10:00 AM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,782 Times in 2,054 Posts

Re: Beginning to panic

Jamie, that specific model might be more problematic, but it comes down to the individual bike. Hopefully all updates and recalls are complete and you have documentation. If not, then just go to the nearest BMW dealer and have them run the VIN for you.

Enjoy!

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 07-30-2016, 11:22 AM
Zealot of Beer

I registered my bike on the motorrad site and my closest dealer sent a postcard listing the 4 campaigns my bike is eligible for, no charge fixes for problems like chain tensioner, rotor mount, etc.

The unfortunate failure rate that K bikes suffer doesn't mean YOUR bike is going to break down. My 2009 K13S hasn't had a glitch in the two years I've had it, knock wood.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:24 AM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Hi Jamie, welcome

Quote:
It seems like the more I read the more it seems like the bikes are unreliable, Is this the case?
Is no different to another brands or models, you must consider that we BMW owners are a bit hypochondriacs and perfectionists.

All issues can be solved, don't worry
Old 07-30-2016, 11:45 AM
Site Contributor

I replaced mine last year by a RT1200, after 120,000km.
Had my share of problems, but still would like to have another one...

Hints:
-Keep the bike up to date with BMW recalls.
-Keep your radiator extra clean. (Mostly if original)
-Do not Keep your battery more than 3 seasons.

Otherwise, good regular maintenance And this bike will make you happy

The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'OILHEAD' for this post:
Old 07-30-2016, 11:50 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardo
you must consider that we BMW owners are a bit hypochondriacs and perfectionists.

I resent this, we are ALL hypocondriacs and VERY perfectionnists

The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'OILHEAD' for this post:
Old 07-30-2016, 11:53 AM
Twisted Wrister

Another thing to note, if you are looking at this forum and comparing to your bike....you may be misled. Our bikes are the 11-19 years old brick motor (in longitudinal in-line, laid down with head on the left, crank on the right). The '08 you have is the 'slant' or 'wedge' transverse 4 motor and that is found in the other K1200-1300 S/R/GT sub-forum. While as noted, there have been issues, in general, that is a fantastic bike. My '09 K1300S was an upgraded version of the K1200S/GT series, and it had a few issues. But also, as noted, they were all taken care of under warranty and it really, really ran well. The person I sold it to in 2013 is still enjoying the heck out of it!
Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS black >140,000 Miles (moving to Mexico with it!), '09 K1300S light grey sold @22k mi, 93 K1100RS black -traded at 78k mi, '85 K100RS red -sold at 44k mi, Kaw 650 track bike sold
Old 07-30-2016, 01:09 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXdB
I registered my bike on the motorrad site and my closest dealer sent a postcard listing the 4 campaigns my bike is eligible for, no charge fixes for problems like chain tensioner, rotor mount, etc.

The unfortunate failure rate that K bikes suffer doesn't mean YOUR bike is going to break down. My 2009 K13S hasn't had a glitch in the two years I've had it, knock wood.

I am a member of the MOA, how do I register the VIN?
Old 07-30-2016, 01:28 PM
Postmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamies71
I just bought my first BMW motorcycle, an 08 GT with 19k miles. Everything works as it should on the bike with no issues. It seems like the more I read the more it seems like the bikes are unreliable, Is this the case?

Want to work a trade for a 2004 K1200-GT with 30K, Givi-Maxi with large back rest, top rack, led turn/brake lights....and I have the proper Givi mounting system, P.I.A.A. lights, Signal-Minder, bag liners, laminar lip, gadget bar with gps mount?
Old 07-30-2016, 09:27 PM
Thanked 1,421 Times in 801 Posts

Hello Jamie. Mist of the issues had been sorted on the 2008 model. My 08 k12r had initial issues with the clutch but all fixed under warranty. I have 80000 trouble free km. It is a characteristic of forums that complaints outweigh compliments.

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
Old 07-30-2016, 10:30 PM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Howdy
It is a characteristic of forums that complaints outweigh compliments.

Well said Peter

Meanwhile most of the problems are reduced to horns, gps attachment, additional or xenon lights, and find non original oils and coolant
Old 07-31-2016, 01:36 AM
Zealot of Beer

Sad to admit, my google-fu is weak tonight. I haven't been able to find the website where I registered my bike with BMW, furnishing my address and contact info. Sorry. Maybe calling their customer service number would get you a lead.

But they computed my nearest dealer and sent me a postcard. On the postcard was a list of all 4 free repair campaigns that applied to my bike. Using the following link, it only lists the two safety recalls, not the other two campaigns (cam chain tensioner guard and multifunction switch).

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/...ex_recall.html
Old 07-31-2016, 10:18 AM
Site Contributor

Hey Jamie. That is a great bike so don't worry. Two things. BMW will install the cam chain anti jump guard, but you really need to replace the tensioner because that is the real issue. Plenty of threads here about that. Just do a search. Also, make sure to have the brake fluid changed. That will reduce the risk of an abs modulater failure. Regards.

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s
Old 07-31-2016, 11:51 AM
Twisted Wrister

On the BMWMOA site, the area you want is this one:
Wedge K-bikes

Beyond that, if your bike is current on recalls and service bulletins, don't worry, be happy. With no intent to pick on, slight, or demean anyone here, failures are often publicized while expected service and good riding continue on with far less commentary. That skews the picture of what the situation is with any bike, not just your GT.

HTH
Old 09-21-2016, 09:48 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Gull
Another thing to note, if you are looking at this forum and comparing to your bike....you may be misled. Our bikes are the 11-19 years old brick motor (in longitudinal in-line, laid down with head on the left, crank on the right). The '08 you have is the 'slant' or 'wedge' transverse 4 motor and that is found in the other K1200-1300 S/R/GT sub-forum. While as noted, there have been issues, in general, that is a fantastic bike. My '09 K1300S was an upgraded version of the K1200S/GT series, and it had a few issues. But also, as noted, they were all taken care of under warranty and it really, really ran well. The person I sold it to in 2013 is still enjoying the heck out of it!

Sorry to point this out Jim but maybe you are in the wrong forum... this IS the slant four section of K1200GT

I got my k12gt with 18000 miles on it. The original owner had some problems with bad seals on the drive unit, resulting in oil all over the rear brake, wheel and tire. He also didn't have an acceptable fix by the dealer he bought it from, that just happened to go out of business right after the service (Santa Cruz BMW) Six months later (and 3 months after the 3 year warranty had expired), he took the bike to the next nearest dealer (San Jose BMW) who said that the mechanic at SC had "monkey-f**ked" the housing by gouging it right where the seals fit

BMW honored the late warranty request and completely replaced the whole drive unit with the better/up-dated current rear drive

So I got the bike with a brand new drive unit, but also with a failed ABS pump But I stole the bike from him for $6000 since it needed a $2k service repair, which I had re-built instead of replaced, costing me $600 total getting me a $21k out the door bike with a measly 18K miles for less than 1/3rd the original price. It now has 42k miles on it and going strong. This has been a very reliable bike over the last 5 1/2 years. I have the services done on schedule and change the oil once a year myself if a service isn't due. Nothing more than normally serviced items in over 24k miles is a fairly reliable motorcycle in my book. They may have had to iron out some initial issues but these are good bikes IMHO. And the second generation K1200's are the first of what appears to be the wave of the future for BMW motorcycle powerplants. The S1000 engine and the K1600 engine share similar design and technology to this first for BMW 4 cylinder transverse in-line engine.
1996 BMW r1100rs (sold)