I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300GT > "K13GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13GT" Technical Q&A K1300GT- Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-15-2016, 07:10 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Should I be concerned?

Hi all,
I (well actually my wife!) took delivery of my 2010 K1300GT yesterday, and it was waiting in my garage for me when I got home

As part of the deal the (non-BMW) dealer agreed to give it a service and a new MOT.

There are two "advisories" on the fresh MOT.

1) Steering linkage has slight free play front
2) Front tyre stepped - will need replacing soon

So I rang the dealer who tells me that: -

The steering linkage free play is very minimal - less than 1mm, and suggested that this might be normal. (I think the MOT test involves taking the weight off the front end and manually compressing and moving it around.) I know the front end of the K is quite complex, and has many joints. Is a tiny amount of free play normal?

The front tyre is just "worn that way", and might be down to the PO, who maybe ran it under / over inflated.

Now call me paranoid (waits for the crowd to shout "You're paranoid!"), but I'm concerned that before I even get the bike on the road, I'll have to get it into my mechanic, and have a linkage and tyre replaced...

Any thoughts?
Old 09-15-2016, 07:17 AM
Site Contributor

Re: Should I be concerned?

if the tires are worn it would be wise to replace them so you can benefit from the best A tire has to offer,
who knows how long that old set of tires has been on the bike protecting the rims.

New tires make a bike ride excellent

The front end play could be a worn ball joint that should be investigated

Stan
Philly PA USA
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Mrmerlin' for this post:
Old 09-15-2016, 08:01 AM
Aussie Moderator
Thanked 4,999 Times in 2,035 Posts

How many KM/miles has the bike done?
How bad is the front tyre, any chance of a picture. I'm sure there are laws here in Australia about how much tread is on the tyres when sold by a dealer. Anything like that in the UK.

Cheers
Kiwimat

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
Old 09-15-2016, 10:35 PM
Getting up to speed

Tires are date stamped on the sidewall (well in the USA they are). After six years, the chance the bike is still on original tires is about nil - so how old are they?

"Stepping" is I assume what is also called "cupping" or maybe "scalloping". We can't know or tell how significant it is, but it could be from running underinflated. Might not be bad, might not be good.

Last I checked, a pair of Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT tires (recomended highly on this board) shipped from mainland USA to Hawaii (from Amazon, which offered free shipping) was about $338.

Some second opinions from those local to you can be very useful, example: I bought a 2010 K13GT on ebay about a month and a half ago from a private seller. Went from Hawaii to Portland Oregon and picked up the bike with the wife. Although the dealer pre-purchase inspection flagged the tires as "old" they looked to have decent tread to me. Unknown miles on them; didn't look for the date. Almost 2,000 two-up miles later they looked the same as far as I could tell. I stopped in at a very experienced and highly regarded bike suspension shop and the owner didn't feel the tires needed replacement. Made the wife feel a lot better.

'course, as soon as I got it shipped to Hawaii, the Optima PC-680 battery died. Wouldn't take a charge either. Had to buy another, about $150, and pick up the bike the following day. The bike is still as much a bullet as I remember.
Old 09-16-2016, 03:43 AM
(Moderator) Tries to be slick but fails
Thanked 1,209 Times in 553 Posts

Vince

As regards the play in the suspension I suggest you ride the bike. You're an experienced rider and will soon know if this is an issue which needs to be fixed now or which can wait. The bike should be as stable as a rock at speed and should hold its line without deviation. Assuming the tyre is OK any wandering from the chosen line when you're rolling would indicate that there is too much play in the linkage.

As for the tyre it's state may be indicative of looseness in the linkage but it equally could be down to being run under inflated. These bikes are very sensitive to tyre pressures. Drop the front to 30 psi - from the recommended 36 - and the bike will steer vaguely and you'll get abnormal tyre wear.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Welshman' for this post:
Old 09-16-2016, 07:55 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks all. I'm sure I'm just being paranoid..

The bike has 18k on the clock, with a full service history (not all of it BMW), and was the best one I could find.

I'll try to get pictures this weekend, if the weather complies!