I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300GT > "K13GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13GT" Technical Q&A K1300GT- Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 01-29-2017, 08:20 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Cool Thinking about buying k1300gt

Hi guys, thinking about buying. I found a 09 /32000 miles and very clean. I was wondering if there are many problems or concerns with the bike? It is a car dealership so I can't talk to the previous owner. They said the valve gasket was changed but everything else looked good. Just wondering if there are any problems I should be concerned with before buying. Great price I think? Thanks for your time and info
Old 01-29-2017, 03:28 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,580 Times in 1,210 Posts

Re: Thinking about buying k1300gt

Yes, you need to have the dealer let you take it for a test ride for at least 1/2 hour, it needs to get hot. You need to see if it stalls under stopping or slowing down conditions. Does it accelerate smoothly with lots of power past 6000RPM? If not you may have ignition problems. When they get hot the idle air valve jams on some bikes and causes problems. Spend an evening looking at the posts dealing with this bike. One member sold both his wife's and his bike because there were too many continuing problems. Now, there are good ones out there. I just have to think it is at a car dealer for a reason and nothing good comes to mind. And it better be cheap, > $5K for sure. You will have to start from scratch with the maintenance since there is no history. This includes the big service checking valve clearance. The mileage is getting near the time big things need changing like front suspension ball joints (does the bike wonder at 30 mph). Shocks are in this zone, you can have them rebuilt by EPM in New Jersey or buy conventional and install them. Keep in mind if you are not the person doing the maintenance on this bike, K bikes are the most expensive BMW's to maintain. Find someone in your area that can go down with a GS-911 and read the codes on the computer looking for faults or even better prearrange an appointment with a dealer for a look over during your test drive. This bike is nothing to buy blind. I would not buy it without a dealer inspection, well worth the $100 for that.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 01-29-2017, 07:39 PM
Getting up to speed

Beech's advice is spot on. I've owned both the K12GT & the K13GT and the stalling issue does exist. Also, spend a few bucks and have the car dealer allow you to take the bike to a BMW dealer for a complete check up with the VIN run for all history PRIOR to making the purchase. By the way, if problems do exist there is no such thing as buying it too cheaply!!

Good luck and keep us posted with pics.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'MoRider' for this post:
Old 01-30-2017, 05:54 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Are these problems easly fixed? Are they rectified? I going to contact the previous owner today and ask the history of the bike. Also contact a dealer with vin# . Thanks guys on the great advise. One other question if everything is in working order is this a descent bike to have? I have had 3 other bmws never had any issues. Thanks again !
Old 01-30-2017, 06:06 PM
Entering the on-ramp

The dealer can search with the VIN number for any warranty and or service performed by any BMW dealer.
There are a few critical:
One involves timing chain guides, without the fix you can destroy an engine if the chain jumps (very possible)
Second involves computer programing for fuel distribution.
The third is a rear wheel flange
There might be another buy I have forgotten.

They also have a hard hot start problem, replace the GEL type battery with an Odyssey 680 AGM or a Motobat MB51814.

There is a wiring upgrade kit 12-41-8-532-735, I am still deciding if i want to fork out the 158.00 bucks for it, or just DIY bigger gauge wiring. BEECH (above) is has been very helpful to me on another thread.

I recently purchased an '09 with only 2,226 miles.. All updates were done, but I have the hot start issue. Now that I put in a Motobat 51814 AGM battery it starts every time, but sometimes I need to bump the starter a couple times. I also put in a 'Booster Plug', now it runs smooth as a baby's rear end, and goes like a scalded Ape Right up to the 11,000 red line.

Overall, I would now give my bike a '99/100'
Good luck! and keep the rubber side down!
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Bob.Papazian' for this post:
Old 01-31-2017, 10:38 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I've had my 09 nearly four years. I bought mine used with 23k on it. I now have 50k on it. ninety percent of those miles were two up and loaded down. This bike seems to handle better loaded down better than naked. Personally, my wife and I really like it, and we've put some miles on the k1600. The only problems I've had listed in previous threads is stalling (even after updated software download from dealership). My issue hasn't been as drastic as what I've read, but it is there. It did have a frozen rear brake caliper that had to be replaced. If your going to be riding any distance, invest in handlebar risers. Heed the good advice others have given and I wish you well.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'OldSchool' for this post:
Old 01-31-2017, 12:13 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Johcin, Good luck and let us know how it turns out. My curiosity is up.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Bob.Papazian' for this post:
Old 02-05-2017, 09:14 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I had the bike delivered on Wednesday night. I did have a chane to Run the vin# and all the recalls and service were done' at country rode in fairport ny. Everything is up to date. Looks great in the garage can't wait to ride. Temps are around 20 the last few days a little cold to ride. Once the weather breaks I will take it to the dealership for a 30,000 service. I do have question what is everyone running for gas? Thanks for all the support guys your group of knowledge will come in handy in the future riding adventures. Thanks again
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'johcin' for this post:
Old 02-05-2017, 10:28 AM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,810 Times in 2,080 Posts

Smile Re: Thinking about buying k1300gt

Shell, BP Amoco, Mobil, all 93 octane, in that order. Throw in some Techron once in a while. Good Luck and Congrats! Great bike!

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jargon' for this post:
Old 02-05-2017, 11:08 AM
Entering the on-ramp

The manual calls for a pretty high octane, somewhere around 95 for a minimum. Obviously we don't find much of that around here out of the pump. I run 93 as much as I can, when I was on a trip out west last summer I couldn't find higher than 87 in some areas and didn't have any problems. When the bike is in storage over the winter I use Stabil fuel additive with 93 octane. BMW has an additive/cleaner they recommended for my stalling issue (didn't work). I still use that in a tank of fuel once in a while. Keep us informed and I'll do the same.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:35 AM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,040 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool
The manual calls for a pretty high octane, somewhere around 95 for a minimum. Obviously we don't find much of that around here out of the pump. I run 93 as much as I can, when I was on a trip out west last summer I couldn't find higher than 87 in some areas and didn't have any problems. When the bike is in storage over the winter I use Stabil fuel additive with 93 octane. BMW has an additive/cleaner they recommended for my stalling issue (didn't work). I still use that in a tank of fuel once in a while. Keep us informed and I'll do the same.
In California, 91 is all we have, and the bikes run great with it. My K13S has a factory sticker at the gas cap that says 89 octane minimum, which I only use if I'm in BF Egypt and that is all that is available. It's my understanding that the lowest octane that prevents detonation provides the best power...
Old 02-05-2017, 01:00 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,580 Times in 1,210 Posts

Oldschool, don't get confused by European vs. USA octane ratings (EU RON system vs USA PON system). You can look them up on the web for a discussion. Or search here and find some long winded and confusing comments. Just buy premium as much as possible, non ethanol if available and stay away from remote stations where the gas may not turn over very often. Here is a good start:
http://www.toptiergas.com/
http://www.pure-gas.org/
Our friends in Canada can get real 94 PON Octane fuel at Chevron stations.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 02-05-2017, 01:34 PM
Getting up to speed

I wonder if that was the one I looked at on CL, red/maroon? I was sorely tempted, but I just put $2200 into my K1200GT with the intention of keeping it a long time.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:23 PM
Getting up to speed

I only use Chevron 93 octane in my 13GT. Haven't had any stalling issues yet.
2005 R1200RT - gone
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
Old 02-06-2017, 12:30 AM
Getting up to speed

We have 93 octane no alcohol available here and that is all I burn in all of my bikes but my K12GT and K13GT both stalled badly in spite of the fuel. Both were taken care of under warranty and my dealer felt that fuel was not a factor in the stalling issue.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:57 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRider
We have 93 octane no alcohol available here and that is all I burn in all of my bikes but my K12GT and K13GT both stalled badly in spite of the fuel. Both were taken care of under warranty and my dealer felt that fuel was not a factor in the stalling issue.
Mine had all of the updates performed before I bought it.
2005 R1200RT - gone
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
Old 02-06-2017, 01:36 PM
Entering the on-ramp

In most of the USA. The number on the pump is the average of RON (Reasearch Octane Number) and MON (Motor Octane Number). Mon is the lower value.
The number can vary as quite a bit. 91 or 93 in the USA. Could be labeled as high as 97 a 100. Elsewhere. A very complicated subject. Look it up.

Relationship between octane and power out put, motors of the same configuration (especially cylinder pressure), Will put out the same horsepower no matter which grade you use OVER THE MFG. MINIMUM REQUIRED, and provided the fuel is the same type blend (more later down) That recomendation is based on detonation avoidance. Higher octane burns 'slower' thus avoiding detonation where cylinder pressure is higher (higher compression ratio, and other factors).

Regarding the blend of fuel. Each component in fuel has a 'Specific Heat Content'. So much energy per unit of volume. Example that explains much: Methanol can take as much as 15 to 1 (or more) compression and not detonate, but only has about half the specific heat of gasoline. You get half the fuel economy, but because you can use so much higher compression, you get more power. Diesel fuel has a great specific heat, but a lousy flame speed.. and requires a LOT more cylinder pressure. That fuel is ignited by the heat of compression, fuel is injected in at the exact time (near TDC) and starts burning instantly. And produces better economy and power per unit volumn..
Ok I am confusing my self.

In my old shovel head, because of where the spark plug was, it detonated a lot if it was hot or high load on crazy California gas... so I blended 4 gallons of Cali. 91 with one gallon of 110 leaded race gas.... a little lead goes a long way, and never had the issue again. off road of course)
Note: NO NOT. EVER EVER, PUT LEADED GAS IN A MOTOR THAT HAS A CATYLIC CONVERTER.
besides other bad stuff, your convert becomes junk in about 3 second. And plugs up as well.

Any how I hope that helps explain a little.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Bob.Papazian' for this post:
Old 02-13-2017, 07:30 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Well call me crazy, but I'm running 87 octane 10% ethanol with no problems. My daily ride is 5 miles to work at speeds not greater than about 25, then home in the afternoon and briefly up to 70.

Got the bike unseen but with dealer pre-purchase inspection and then rode 2650 miles two-up from Portland to San Diego, shipped to Hawaii. I 'spose I got one of the "good ones" and surely hope it stays that way. Would be happy to use Techron or Seafoam but there seems no need. Now at 25kmiles.

This bike is so crazy nice! But a bit much for an island only 20 miles by 30. I need to get out more.

OP, my 0.02 would be to buy the latest bike, with current upgrades, to the maximum extent possible.

I was close to buying the first one I found, an '09, but now a little relieved that I didn't because the current owner (on this list) has had some difficulties with his electric windshield and now in his charging circuit, and that initial West Coast trip was my wife's "best vacation I every had" and that has paid off quite nicely, thank you! Trying to figure out how to do that again.