I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 02-25-2017, 10:59 AM
Entering the on-ramp

On the Fence

Greetings,

I have been lurking for a week or so trying to decide if the K1200S is the right bike to replace my 05 Goldwing with 104k on the clock. I have done a fair amount of reading and get the drift that the model is a mixed bag on the reliability side of the house.

I am leaning towards a couple of 08 models that are close to where I live. There isn't a BMW moto dealer where I live so my biggest question is if that should be a deal breaker? I am comfortable doing maintenance stuff on my own but didn't know if there are special tools or other stuff that would necessitate having a dealer close? Thanks for any input.

Marty
Old 02-25-2017, 11:05 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,407 Times in 3,137 Posts

Re: On the Fence

Marty:

I would recommend you go for a K1300S if you can. Don't get me wrong there are a lot of good K1200S's out there but the K1300's have many improvements.

The prices are falling on these bikes now that they have been dropped from the line up.

Whichever model you get do yourself a favor and get the service DVD.

Also when looking at bikes try and find one with all the service history.

Good luck.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 02-25-2017, 11:09 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Sounds good Bruce. Thanks
Old 02-25-2017, 11:20 AM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,029 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

I second Bruce's recommdation for the K13S. It is not merely a K12 with more displacement... there were literally hundreds of changes made to this new model. Having owned both, I can tell you that the K13S is a much different and substantially improved bike...
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Kneedragger' for this post:
Old 02-25-2017, 12:04 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,774 Times in 2,047 Posts

Do it! The K13S is a great bike!
Excellent advice already mentioned.

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 02-25-2017, 12:45 PM
Entering the on-ramp

There are is are no 1300's remotely close to me, but I am still looking. There is an 08 Tricolor about 2 hours away with 10k miles. I really like the paint scheme and the blue wheels.

Marty
Old 02-25-2017, 02:27 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by solocycles
There are is are no 1300's remotely close to me, but I am still looking. There is an 08 Tricolor about 2 hours away with 10k miles. I really like the paint scheme and the blue wheels.

Marty

Marty as others have said , if you can do it the 1300 is a bit better in most areas. But if you have to get a 1200 , the 07, 08 models are the ones to get. That tricolour is pretty sharp.

" The real motorcycle you are working on is yourself " robert pirsig
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'falconcan' for this post:
Old 02-25-2017, 09:31 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:

Marty

As a current owner of a 2008GT I would say that if I were to ever move to a S model it would be the 2008 tricolor, there isn't a 1300 that can match that look. The 08's don't seem to have near the horror stories of some of the 06 and 07 models.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'GT_Jim' for this post:
Old 02-25-2017, 11:17 PM
Entering the on-ramp

08 Tricolor sold today so I am looking at a couple of 2012 K13's with around 22,000 miles on them. They are around $10k, one with hard bags and one without. Other than normal maintenance stuff are there any major service items that may be due? A quick google search was showing basic stuff up to 12,000 miles. I'm a little nervous coming from a bike that hasn't required anything other than oil, tires and brake pads for 104k.

Thanks,

Marty
Old 02-25-2017, 11:57 PM

Major service which checks valves, should be done at 18k.
Ball joints need to be done in the 30's
Shock rebuild by 40k

The bike is worth it though.

Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
Old 02-26-2017, 12:50 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks John. What's a ballpark price for ball joints and the shock? Are we talking a few hundred or a few thousand? My son is a Mercedes tech and all around gear head. He has an older BMW coupe that he races so he may have to help me wrench on this thing if everything works out.

Marty
Old 02-26-2017, 06:40 AM
*Disclaimer below

"S" the right bike to replace my Goldwing? Nope. You want to look into the 1600 KGTL. Maybe you mean "Is the S a good bike so I can ditch the pig I have and get onto more of a sport bike"?
Old 02-26-2017, 08:23 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Yeah definitely ditching the "pig". The wife is done riding so I can get a "me" bike. I have owned GXSR's and a Honda Blackbird in the past. I'm a Honda fanboy and want to try something different.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:37 AM
*Disclaimer below

Quote:
Yeah definitely ditching the "pig". The wife is done riding so I can get a "me" bike. I have owned GXSR's and a Honda Blackbird in the past. I'm a Honda fanboy and want to try something different.
In that case I would go with NEW as far as BMW you will want the warranty, trust me! There is nothing out there that is worth buying unless you want to just play, ride a little, spend money and wrenching does not bother you. If riding is your sole objective and that is all you want to do, get a new bike so its covered or buy a used bike still under factory warranty so you can transfer and still qualify for an extended warranty, BMW dose not have "Honda reliability" BMW (Buy More Warranty)
Old 02-26-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Thanks John. What's a ballpark price for ball joints and the shock? Are we talking a few hundred or a few thousand? My son is a Mercedes tech and all around gear head. He has an older BMW coupe that he races so he may have to help me wrench on this thing if everything works out.

Marty
Marty, all in at the dealer on ball joints is about $1,000, but you can do 90% of the labor, take the final piece to a dealer, have them use their special tool to replace the final parts change, then take it home to reassemble. I'm going to guess your cost would then drop to under $150.
Many threads on this, do a search on top right of the home page.

Regarding shocks, you can buy replacement Wilbers for about $2,000, $2,500 with labor, that are custom made for you. Ted Porter is great, and usually you can plan your purchase for a sale. Do all the labor yourself, rebuild your current ESA shocks, and you're under $500.

You are way ahead of the game on the labor front with your son helping. If a major service has already been done at 18,000 miles, then likely your valves are good for another 18-20,000 miles.

A new find on the shocks...

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=59815

Ted Porter...buy yourself a service DVD and a RED GS911

http://www.beemershop.com

Ball joints...not the best thread, but a start...

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...00+ball+joints

My riding buddy's bike, but he might have made a deal to trade with his father in law? Bike is very well kept.

http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/sho...8k-miles&cat=3

Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
Old 02-26-2017, 10:09 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks for your help John.
Old 02-27-2017, 04:32 PM
Head Up Knee down

have an 08 tri color and a 12 13s. Both are ballistic missles. I explain the difference is the k1200s is riding a roller coaster doing an eightball where the k1300 is the same roller coaster just with a fine single malt scotch. point is both bikes have enough power to pucker the old butthole just the k1200 feels like it wants to kill you the whole time. you can pretty much do all the work yourself but i would have the dealer to the valves. everything else you can save the premium prices especially if you don't have a dealer close.

I love both bikes. i put a power commander III on the 08 to give it quick shift and dyno to smooth out the mid range a bit. but we still call her jitterbug.

you cannot go wrong with the bike in my opinion. i'm 6'6 so i removed the helibars but kept the lowered pegs. feels like riding a more nimble, faster k1200rs. I had planned on keeping my K12RS as well but just don't ride the poor girl enough the seating is a bit more aggressive on the k13 vs the more traditional sport tourer but not enough to take away the ability to do long rides. The performance more than makes up for the extra lean over that you do.

With the 08 and 2012 there is plenty of crazy left in the garage. So if anyone wants helibars or an 02 KRS feel free to hit me up .

Good luck on the purchase, you really won't be sorry. After 7k on the 2012 last year i was still grinning ear to ear when i put her in storage.
2002 Silver K1200RS M-sport Roundel (sold)
2005 GSX-R 600 *sold to buy the k12s

Web Designer / Internet Marketing / network marketing
Old 02-27-2017, 05:50 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I have been trying to read as much as possible and digest it all. At this point I am going to go with an 09 Triumph ST 1050 that is loaded and with low miles. I really appreciate everyone's time tha chimed in? In my gut it just felt like too much of a coin toss for the money. Thanks again.

Marty
Old 02-27-2017, 06:39 PM

Good luck Marty.

Just for the record, I'd buy another KS if mine got wrecked or stolen. No doubts with me.

Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
Old 02-27-2017, 07:08 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,407 Times in 3,137 Posts

Marty:

Do yourself one big favor before purchasing the Triumph - test ride it and I don't mean for 5 minutes. Take it out for a good long ride - in the city - on the highway - country roads.

Then go take a K bike out and do the same ride.

This will help you to make the correct decision.

In regard to the reliability of these bikes - you will be fine if you purchase a good well maintained 07 and up. Yes the 09's were upgraded to the K1300 and yes it is a better bike than the K1200.

I have just about zero tolerance for aggravation and BMW's have not pushed me over the edge.

And for the times I've had issues or putting up with the quirks of beemers - it is/has been 100% absolutely worth it - honestly there are no other bikes out that do what these bikes do.

In my opinion there is no motorcycle on the market that can compare or compete with a K1200 or K1300. I managed the sales department of a large Honda motorcycle dealership for years - really think Honda's are fantastic.

I'm a long time Harley rider as well.

I go to the track frequently - I get to experience some of the best bikes on the market.

There just is not a better sport tourer on our planet today that can touch the K bike.

Don't take our word for it - go ride one - that will give you the answers you are looking for.

Good luck.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 02-27-2017, 09:25 PM
The Other White Meat

Quote:
......I'm a little nervous coming from a bike that hasn't required anything other than oil, tires and brake pads for 104k.Thanks, Marty

I've been lurking in the thread for a few days and wondered when you'd mention this. I cut my teeth on a long line of Japanese bikes including an '81 Gold Wing. I liked the bike a lot having only to do oil changes and brake pads with the lone outlier being a bad thermostat.

That Honda GW was my last bike until after a 17 year absence from the sport I returned astride a BMW R1150RT. I still have it and LOVE it. Not long after getting it I snagged my first BMW K bike - BMW's infamous low production K1 - and the hook was set. The K1 gave way to a K1200RS which gave way to my K1200S. Both bikes require regular and specific maintenance, something you'll need to come to terms with if you want venture into any European brand motorcycle.

There are riders on this forum who've rolled up more than 100K miles on a K1200S without issues. A few have had some problems that cropped up after the warranty expired. Regardless of what you get, if you stray from an Asian brand MC it'll help to have a strong mechanical aptitude and a decent set of tools. If not then plan on $500 to $1000+ service intervals.

Good luck with your search and eventual purchase.
'04 Ducati 1000DS SS
'05 Ducati ST3
'06 K1200S (bumblebee)