I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW S-1000 Series Motorcycles > S1000 XR > "S1000 XR" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 03-26-2017, 04:05 PM
(Moderator) My Life is a Blur

Send a message via Skype™ to Karlb
2 wheels 2 up 200 hundred miles

got out today for a decent two up ride with Cheryl, now bear in mind its been three years since that stallion broke her arm and she gave up riding pillion (she could have just said she didn't want to ride on the back, but no she had to do it the hard way).
Anyways I digress.

about a week ago we did a 30 mile ride to dinner nice easy pace and she said the XR was great for two up more room and comfort than our 08 K12GT had, she like the upright position for me as I blocked more wind for her than on the more canted position bikes we've ridden two up on. She got no wind buffeting on that ride (I had on a Puig Touring screen)

Fast Forward to today, just under 200 miles in 3 1/2 hours and she said that she could def tour on it, I now have a Puig Racing screen and with it in the low position we both got buffeting and in the high position it was better but still a little.

I am thinking of adding a Puig Vario wing to the racing screen and selling off the touring screen.
We went down to Montgomery and ran the forest road 149--- too many pirates.

Def have to get Cheryl a Sena as we came up on a group of about 10 cruisers and in a legal passing zone politely passed all but the lead, plenty of room so I ducked in behind him to wait for the next one.
Well next thing you know the second rider in their group thought he would come up and just about rub bar ends with me, and since I didn't know him that well I dropped to the double yellow grabbed a gear and got on down the road.

At the end of 149 there is a Exxon station and I pull into the far side of the far pump and start to fuel with out getting off the bike and as I turn my 20s to ambient Cheryl says "we don't want to hang out here long, I flipped that guy off" LOL (gotta love her), no problem we were fueled and gone before they got there, passed them from the other direction just as they were getting to town.

Back up to Anderson to grab a quick drink and just as we were leaving another Red XR was pulling into the pumps. (Obviously someone with impeccable taste)

ran up to 3090 a little above the speed limit and behind me I see headlights coming fast,

when they get close just before we get to the fun stuff I wave them thru, only the first guy passes me so I settle in between, we ran 3090 at a pretty good clip being two up for the first time in 3 years and only having 900 miles in the saddle of this bike , left the guy that stayed behind me in the dust and followed the guy on the yellow sport bike (not sure what it was) I felt like I could have run a bit faster in the curves but def didn't want to push it, things being what they were.

Then we pointed the nose for home and ran two lane roads back at 90 to just over a ton.
Overall the the XR performed great handled two up cruising, some sport bike play and just basic make time hauling butt. Passing power 2 up is great you can roll on and pass quickly and smoothly in 6th or drop it 5th and blast around someone.

Overall we give the XR 4 thumbs up (and one finger to the pirates!!)
The following (14) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Karlb' for this post:
Old 03-26-2017, 06:52 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,785 Times in 1,370 Posts

Re: 2 wheels 2 up 200 hundred miles

I'll never understand a pass being so offensive to so many.

Otherwise sounds like a fine day.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:28 PM
GS Crash Test Dummy
Thanked 1,345 Times in 620 Posts

Re: 2 wheels 2 up 200 hundred miles

It's been great seeing your posts about this bike. You have a lot of two stuff going on. Honestly, I think you should be writing motorcycle magazine reviews for the bikes you test.

Happiness is a way of travel — not a destination