I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300GT > "K13GT" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13GT" Technical Q&A K1300GT- Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 04-20-2017, 01:36 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

ESA troubles, bet I'm not the first

Gents, ladies...

Bike is a 2010 K1300GT with about 26,000 miles on it and a multi-owner history. Maybe a little early for ESA troubles? I'm 270 lbs, wife 160, we recently did 2600 mile together. Being new to the bike I didn't know then that there was an issue, but here it is.

Noodlling around I read how the ESA is supposed to work: engine (or key) on, neutral, no weight on the bike, hit the ESA button and the indicator comes on the dash panel. Hit again or twice to toggle from Comfort mode to Sport mode, etc.... and the bike is supposed to rise up or sink a little bit. BUT MINE DOESN'T.

How does one assess this? The button on the left bar cluster seems to work because the correct changes are reported on the instrument display. This suggests the shock itself is not responding or not receiving the command to change. Is there a way or how does one tell that the suspension unit (shock) is faulty? Is there any external repair or is it "all in"?

Obviously a GS-911 is not at this time part of my toolkit but I'm thinking more and more about it.

We have ONE dealer in Hawaii. Not having dealt with them I can't speak to their capability but the also sell several other brands so the likelihood of having a deeply competent tech seems improbable. I will ask 'em anyhoo, and see what they have to say.

Meantime, any other guidance or suggestions are welcome.

TIA
Old 04-20-2017, 06:25 AM
(Moderator) My Life is a Blur

Send a message via Skype™ to Karlb
Re: ESA troubles, bet I'm not the first

comfort mode to sport mode you prob wont feel or see the bike rise or fall. you should be setting the preload, one helmet, helmet and luggage or 2 helmets, at your weight you should prob be in at least one helmet and luggage when solo and maybe 2 helmets when solo. as the suspension is calibrated to a rider of about 180 lbs is what I understand. On my K12GT I cant say I ever saw it physically rise or fall with preload settings.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:11 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,474 Times in 3,168 Posts

Charles:

There is the seat of your pants test - I weigh 150 lbs. when I'm riding if I switch the ESA settings from Comfort to Normal I can feel the difference and most certainly from either Comfort or Normal to Sport.

I've looked at my rear shock while toggling through the settings in my driveway and have not seen movement.

I will go out in the garage in a little bit and try it again to confirm.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 04-20-2017, 09:07 AM
Getting up to speed

The ESA system sets front and rear preload and dampening, don't see anything in the manual about raising suspension.
2005 R1200RT - gone
1984 Kawasaki ZX750-E1 Turbo
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
Old 04-20-2017, 01:40 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Press and hold down the esa button until you see the a helmet, bag or both helmets in the screen. As far as I remember with a running engine.
And yes, sitting on the bike, you feel the level difference.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:49 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

If you see the proper display on the LCD (icons changing as they should) then the system is probably working because if any fault codes are present the display won't respond to input. Changing damping (Comfort, Normal, Sport) will not result in any change in ride height so you won't be able to detect anything. Changing preload (helmet icons) will affect ride height and that's what you should be doing for your test, the procedure is explained in the post above (engine running, bike stopped for ESA I.)

When changing preload from one helmet (minimum) to two helmets (maximum) you should be able to detect some movement in the rear suspension, but it is subtle. I place my feet lightly on the ground and feel for the difference on the ball of my feet. Once you know what to look for it's easy to detect but if not you may not notice it at first.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:57 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Back to the bike, will change the preload and see if anything visibly changes. I'm tall enough (6'6") to straddle the bike without putting weight on the seat. I'll beeee baaaaackkkk...
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Honolulu' for this post:
Old 04-20-2017, 11:13 PM
Site Contributor

And remember that a quick press of the button changes mode (comf/norm/sport) and a longer press brings on the preload mode, 1x helmet, 2x helmet etc. When changing preload the bike will change height but it's not instant, maybe 10 seconds or so. I always sat on my bike, so I don't think having weight on it matters. As already pointed out, engine running and in neutral.
Good luck.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:42 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,191 Posts

At your weight point you should be riding in the two helmet setting all the time. With the sweetie on back you are about at max payload.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 04-22-2017, 05:47 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Well, umm, thanks for reminding me about the limitations of the bike with respect to max payload.

It occurs to me then, if the highest preload setting is evidenced by a higher stance of the bike, then the max (tallest) preload setting should make it easier to get the bike on the centerstand, no? Anyone find this to be the case?
Old 04-23-2017, 02:51 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu
It occurs to me then, if the highest preload setting is evidenced by a higher stance of the bike, then the max (tallest) preload setting should make it easier to get the bike on the centerstand, no? Anyone find this to be the case?

No - the difference in ride height is very subtle. On my 2005 K1200S, when straddling the bike, I could only just feel the rise from Solo to Solo+Luggage - on my 2014 K1300S, I cannot feel it, but can when going from Solo to the Two-Up setting.

Getting a K onto the mainstand is all about technique and putting your weight on the stand's lever just as you pull up and roll the bike using the handle on the frame.

And don't be upset by your weight - I am similar, and I don't even live in a place where you get pineapple on pizzas . . .
History:
Yamaha RD250 (x2)
Yamaha XS750
Kawasaki Z1000 (x3)
Honda Blackbird
Yamaha FJ1200 (x2)
BMW K1200S
Old 04-23-2017, 07:50 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcchoc
And don't be upset by your weight - I am similar, and I don't even live in a place where you get pineapple on pizzas . . .
Aahhhhh.....Canadian bacon and pineapple.
2005 R1200RT - gone
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
Old 04-23-2017, 09:55 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Well, umm, thanks for reminding me about the limitations of the bike with respect to max payload.

I can tell you from my experience that the dash indicators on my bike showed that the ESA was changing from one setting to another and the rear shock was blown. The front may have still been working and that's why the indicators seemed to have been working. With the rear shock being defective, I had a very difficult time getting it on the center stand.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:07 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
It occurs to me then, if the highest preload setting is evidenced by a higher stance of the bike, then the max (tallest) preload setting should make it easier to get the bike on the center stand, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypso
With the rear shock being defective, I had a very difficult time getting it on the center stand.
If you use the momentum of the bike when you pull back on the handle bars and put weight on the center stand, it's easy to get it on the stand. It's only 630 pounds.
2005 R1200RT - gone
1990 Kawasaki ZX600R
Old 04-26-2017, 07:23 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Yep, 630 is what mine weighed, minus bags and with not much gas onboard.

I don't have a problem getting it on the centerstand. I trained 12 years for the task with my two K100RS's. On that bike, a change in tire aspect ratio made a noticeable difference in the ease of getting the bike up on the stand. And on that bike, with early pistons, centerstanding was necessary to avoid an un-BMW-like reeking cloud of blue on startup.

As suspected, the dash icons don't necessarily reflect the action of the shocks. To do so, there would have to be feedback from the shock once it reached the height setting, and that sounds a little complicated even for BMW. Shucks, I've come this far, might as well keep riding it.

Kalua pig is good on a pizza, keep the poi separate (me likey). Pineapple not so good, but lotsa tourists seem to like it so I 'spose we'll be seeing it again. These are the things that point in the direction of a permanent two-helmet setup.

Anyone know of a GS-911 on Oahu?
Old 04-26-2017, 09:04 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Quote:
As suspected, the dash icons don't necessarily reflect the action of the shocks. To do so, there would have to be feedback from the shock once it reached the height setting, and that sounds a little complicated even for BMW.
There is feedback from the preload adjuster (via a potentiometer on the early units and a Hall effect sensor on the later) and the position of the adjustment mechanism is known and stored. If the shock adjustment motor is commanded to move and feedback shows no movement a fault code will be set and the icons won't update ( I have seen this for myself.) However the monitor is on the adjustment mechanism so if the shock itself is blown (but the adjuster is working as instructed) then that condition probably wouldn't be detected.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:09 PM
Getting up to speed

I just did Toronto to Austin for the Motogp, set at one helmet and a suitcase.
Upon returning at my last stop, i added some shopping and decided to set the ESA
at two helmets. I make sure i'm not seated and the bike is not fully loaded before i press the button.
Making that little composite collar raise you, your passenger and your luggage is asking alot, too much i think.
Also, the lift was significant and very noticeable after 5000+ km on the previous setting.
I had to use my tip toes-almost lost it for a second when i first started off again.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:29 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Let it be herewith resolved:

It's . just . me .

At a stoplight on the way in today, I thumbed the button and got the expected response: quick touches change the damping settings (Comfort, Normal, Sport) and slower touches change the preload indicator (one helment, helmet plus luggage, two helmets). Or maybe it was the other way 'round. The reason I hadn't noticed the preload change seems to be because it happens slowly, over the course of maybe ten seconds. Initially I though "nope, nothing..." but a few seconds later realized there was a gradual rise happening. For the perverts and anyone else that needs to know, I got it up today.

FWIW I was sitting on the bike at a stoplight the whole time and as noted above I'm in the upper range of rider weight (ahem). So it's gonna be Comfort at two helmets for yrs. truly, subsequently.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Honolulu' for this post: