I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300R > "K13R" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13R" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 05-28-2017, 04:21 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Ignition coils change

sorry to say not many rides this year on the new bike(current status thread), but problem as usual on the low rpm segment. We installed the booster plug and its effected the bike positive but the low rpm problem remains 2000-2700 ca.

Idle tubes

Change ignition coils, new coils from 2012, bmw knows about the problem but keep the mouth shut.

anyone ??
Old 06-02-2017, 11:06 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Re: Ignition coils change

Hi,
Thought I might be able to provide some useful information. It depends what the symptoms of your problem are. They sound a bit different to mine, but I will share my info anyway since it relates to the coils. I bought a new K1300R in April 2014 and mileage is currently sitting at 82,500km. Obviously I have done a lot of miles in a short time. My bike had a problem with the coils. Two of them failed. It would show, only occasionally, as an inability to idle smoothly, or at worst, it would just stop when I pulled the clutch in. It was difficult to diagnose, but the BMW mechanic at my local dealer finally diagnosed faults in the coils. Incredibly, I had two coils go bad - about 10,000km apart. I thought I had it fixed when the first coil was replaced, only to have the same problem reappear several thousand km later. I just assumed that the replacement of the first coil had not been the fix I was looking for. But it turned out that a second coil had started to go bad. Luckily I was able to get to the dealer's workshop while it was acting up the second time, allowing them to diagnose a second coil problem. BMW replaced the first coil under warranty as it was within the 2 year warranty period. The second coil failed about 3 months outside the warranty period. Notwithstanding that, BMW agreed to replace the second coil under warranty, with around 58,000 km on the clock, which was much appreciated. The mechanic suggested that, since they (BMW) were paying to open up the bike and replace the second coil, I might choose to replace (at my expense) the other two coils while they were at it. I chose to do that which I think was the right choice. The bike is now running sweetly. Still love my K bike and have no plans to replace it anytime soon. Why change perfection? Cheers from downunder.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:16 AM

Hey Robmc !!

One coil is changed, last year. same problem as you but not as bad that it stops off, but the dealer over here told me bmw has new coils from 2012. the change on the bike last year had the same idle shit Before changing. My first 1300R run good but on that bike all the coils where changed in beginning 2013 beacuse that owner was pissed off to say the least. Sorry to say but my Little friend is in the scrapyard. will get all coils changed and i have been talking to bmw to take the tab for this one tired of how they Think im an idiot.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:31 AM
Getting up to speed

I had one go on my old K 1200 S at 40,000 km's. Bought a complete set off fleabay for less than one new one from BMW. So far so good on 1300 R.

The Booster plug on my 1200 S was a complete waste of money.
15 K1300 R
58 Tiger 110 (fast)
66 Bonneville (faster)
75 Trident (fastest)
Old 07-16-2017, 07:41 AM
Site Contributor

Just to throw something in here....
If you guys were to spend a few dollars on cables and software ($60 in total)
all the diagnosing that your "Stealer" does can be done for free at home.
And i am not talking about a GS-911 here.

I've been using the BMW software now for a while and helped a couple of people diagnose and fix problems.

And just recently diagnosed a bad coil over the internet, connecting to his computer/bike using teamviewer.

Not magic, just software.
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Patrique83' for this post:
Old 07-16-2017, 12:13 PM
Twisted Wrister

If it were a bad coil, what would the symptoms be?

My bike runs as normal at speed?

Just a little "putt.,putt" at idle?

Would one complete cylinder drop?
Old 07-17-2017, 06:00 PM
Thanked 1,406 Times in 792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrique83
Just to throw something in here....
If you guys were to spend a few dollars on cables and software ($60 in total)
all the diagnosing that your "Stealer" does can be done for free at home.
And i am not talking about a GS-911 here.

I've been using the BMW software now for a while and helped a couple of people diagnose and fix problems.

And just recently diagnosed a bad coil over the internet, connecting to his computer/bike using teamviewer.

Not magic, just software.

Fcuk me Patrique - Your one smart hombre

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
Old 07-18-2017, 01:37 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCMAN 70
If it were a bad coil, what would the symptoms be?

My bike runs as normal at speed?

Just a little "putt.,putt" at idle?

Would one complete cylinder drop?

Damn it having there exactly the same for about 2 years already.. Still cant decite is it someting should be fixed or is it completely normal as bike runs fine, but that putt putt sound which happens every few seconds at idle- dont know what to think..
Old 07-18-2017, 04:52 PM

That putt putt or bad idle is now gone, as above also new sparkplugs and rechecked the idletubes, some change at about 10% smoothness with the booster plug...can mention that i had 2 K1200R and crasched the first K1300R (Another thread) that one had all coils changed. this one has 2 coils changed but i am certain that the other two will make some trouble.

same shit with all the bikes in some way in the idle range 2200 to 3000.... just sayin.