I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 05-31-2017, 11:28 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Z-Technik Windscreen Mounting

I installed a Z-Technik dark tinted windscreen on the K1300S a few years ago. In removing it to install a Marc Parnes LED radar detector module on top of the instrument cluster, I discovered that in my original windscreen install I put the rubber nuts in backwards (with the big end against the black plastic trim piece instead of against the windscreen). Somehow, that managed to both hold the windscreen in place AND hold the plastic trim piece in place without the silver, metal washers falling out.

Now, when I put the rubber nuts in the correct way (with the big end against the windscreen), it it very difficult to get the M5x20 Torx screws to engage the threaded insert in the rubber nuts, and when I do I cannot get the expansion of the rubber nuts to grab the holes in the plastic trim piece to hold it in place. I have bought new rubber nuts, but still no joy. The windscreen itself is held in place securely, but the not the trim piece.

In comparing the Z-Technik windscreen to the OE clear windscreen, it APPEARS that the problem may be caused by the fact that the OE windscreen has well-defined, molded recesses around the four mounting holes, which may allow the windscreen and the plastic trim piece to fit closer to the fairing and mounting surfaces, and result in the smaller end of the rubber nuts sticking farther out and being able to grab the holes in plastic trim piece as the screw is tightened in the rubber nut and it expands. The Z-Technik has more of a depression around the holes.

So, if I am on the right track, has anyone discovered a solution to allow the rubber nuts (installed correctly) to retain the plastic trim piece? One solution would seem to be using M5x25 Torx screws (not sure these exist at BMW) combined with longer M5 rubber nuts (if these exist).

Thoughts? Thanks.

2013 BMW K1300S "30 Years"
1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1997 Ducati 916 Monoposto
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
Old 05-31-2017, 12:19 PM
Twisted Wrister

Re: Z-Technik Windscreen Mounting

Had an occasion to buy one of those rubber expansion nuts from BMW for a cargo platform. If you plan to replace them all, better take out a home equity line of credit. For a more reasonable solution, try the hardware store (ACE?), they have the SAE size expansion nuts that MAY fit and stainless button head screws as well as stainless metric screws.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'WPV' for this post:
Old 06-01-2017, 01:35 AM
Site Contributor

Hi Mike, had the Z-Technic on my 13S too. Same problems you found in mounting. I found two reasons, one as you point out is the shape of the mould but also the Z-Technic is a thicker material. I found also the original rubber nuts had been compressed. So I went to the BMW stealer with a jar of vaseline so it didn't hurt quite so much... $9 Aussie a piece! and got a new set. Anyway, the original screws still wouldn't quite allow everything to be pulled together so I got 4x stainless steel button head cap screws that were about 5mm longer. All good then. So they're not Torx, but you've got to look closely to see the difference.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Heapy' for this post:
Old 06-01-2017, 06:22 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,077 Posts

I slipped a finger in under the nut, applying pressure to collapse the rubber a little, while turning the torx screw.

Button screws (longer) will work, but they don't have as large head diameter as the torx, thus not spreading as much load over the four mounting points.

Edit: don't forget the little flat washer on top of rubber.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'paulmogs' for this post:
Old 06-01-2017, 06:32 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmogs
I slipped a finger in under the nut, applying pressure to collapse the rubber a little, while turning the torx screw.

Button screws (longer) will work, but they don't have as large head diameter as the torx, thus not spreading as much load over the four mounting points.

Edit: don't forget the little flat washer on top of rubber.

Re: diameter, that's right. Forgot to mention that I also put a small SS washer under the head of the screw.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Heapy' for this post:
Old 06-01-2017, 09:44 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Thanks to all for the tips and suggestions. While I try to figure out a solution, I just reinstalled the Z-Technik windscreen without the plastic trim piece, and everything went back together securely without any drama. It does not look as "finished" inside as with the trim piece, but it certainly looks no worse than the inside of my 916 fairing.

I think the permanent solution will be longer screws combined with longer rubber nuts so that they can get purchase on the trim piece as the screws are tightened. Ideally, I'll find some longer metric stainless Torx screws and metric rubber nuts, but if SAE allen stainless button-head screws (with washers if needed) and rubber nuts are all I can find, then cosmetically that will be fine.

Thanks again.

2013 BMW K1300S "30 Years"
1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1997 Ducati 916 Monoposto
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'BeemerMikeTX' for this post: