I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 07-22-2017, 08:54 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,491 Times in 3,181 Posts

Throwing the Towel In

For several reasons I've not ridden my K1300 much in the past few years - mostly physical reasons.

And not a lot of time because I go to the track a lot.

I've posted here many times about my carpal tunnel and arthritis in my hands and arms being the number one reason I don't ride my K bike.

Well my hands - elbow - wrists have been almost pain free most of this summer - so yesterday I decided to take the K bike for a ride - took video but had the camera aimed wrong so it caught the windshield wrong - looks like your are on an acid trip watching it.

I felt fine during the ride - woke up this morning my right hand is numb - wrist hurts a little and elbow hurts.

I am convinced now even my track bikes would have the same affect on me - the reason they don't - I get off after 15-20 minutes rest for 40-45 minutes.

Now what I don't know is will any ride cause this for me. I am going to have to ride a bike for more than 15-20 minutes to find out.

I'm going to go to Max's and ask them if I can test ride a few bikes over a few days - taking one out for at least a few hours and seeing what happens in the next day or so.

Would do it today but it would be a complete waste of time - I'm hurting right now.

If I've said it once I've said it a hundred times - I have no problem getting old - I have a big problem getting old and falling apart.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 07-22-2017, 09:01 AM
Banned Spammer
Thanked 1,819 Times in 1,071 Posts

Re: Throwing the Towel In

GS with bar riders.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'cousi' for this post:
Old 07-22-2017, 09:06 AM
Shooting the gap

Bruce,

Heli-bars may be worth a try and are a lot cheaper than a new bike. I love mine and can't imagine riding the bike without them. Just my .02

OR maybe a new S1000R is in order as a more comfortable street bike. You'll be used to the power and handling at least...
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'stxman4' for this post:
Old 07-22-2017, 09:08 AM
Site Contributor

Yeah, its a no brainer. No fun if you're hurting.

Look forward to see what you pick.
R, XR, GS, GT, HD, Rocket 3, Vmax?

Or I hear Burgmans are a hoot around town.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxman4
Bruce,

Heli-bars may be worth a try and are a lot cheaper than a new bike. I love mine and can't imagine riding the bike without them. Just my .02

OR maybe a new S1000R is in order as a more comfortable street bike. You'll be used to the power and handling at least...
I may consider Heli-bars but the other problem is my K bike is now 3 years old - I have never kept a BMW longer than 3 years - always a first time.

And considering the K bikes are not the hottest bikes in regard to selling them it just may be the first one I keep longer.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 07-22-2017, 09:14 AM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,122 Times in 821 Posts

Hand and wrist issues with the Kbikes is common... Rather than looking at an all new bike (not that there's anything wrong with that...)... the logical thing is to just make a few ergo changes to the K1300 so your wrists and hands don't hurt. You'll save yourself enough money to take your wife to Bora Bora. There are lots of options.. My 2 doubloons.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Pirate' for this post:
Old 07-22-2017, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousi
GS with bar riders.
I know the GS could be the answer to all my problems - but then I have the problem of it being a tank. Heck these days moving my R3 around is a task - yesterday when I took the K bike out I had Karen get it out of the garage for me.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 07-22-2017, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
Hand and wrist issues with the Kbikes is common... Rather than looking at an all new bike (not that there's anything wrong with that...)... the logical thing is to just make a few ergo changes to the K1300 so your wrists and hands don't hurt. You'll save yourself enough money to take your wife to Bora Bora. There are lots of options.. My 2 doubloons.
Jerry:

You are right of course - and the amount of money I spend on these bikes trying a set of Heli- bars is cheap money.

Never mind Bora Bora I could go to VIR then to Barber - then head to Laguna Seca.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 07-22-2017, 09:25 AM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,802 Times in 2,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
Jerry:

You are right of course - and the amount of money I spend on these bikes trying a set of Heli- bars is cheap money.

Never mind Bora Bora I could go to VIR then to Barber - then head to Laguna Seca.

But then,

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 07-22-2017, 09:25 AM
Twisted Wrister

Bruce, hate to hear of your pending decision. I feel fortunate to be still at it at age 70. But, I know time is running out. The bright spot I see for you is that your problems are related to hands and arms which means that a different, more upright riding position and cruise control will take the pressure off and put you back in the game for touring. I am looking forward to hearing your observations on various cycles because I am not far behind you in this search. We know the right cycle is out there. Best of luck.

An added thought. Maybe a modified saddle that moves you forward. This would help you get more upright.

BTW, I tried the K1300R steering bridge on my last K. It added some leverage, but provided only marginal relief to the hands. I have Helibars, but I am not sure it will give you everything you need. Try them. If they don't work and you want to be rid of them, there are always riders looking to buy a set.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'WPV' for this post:
Old 07-22-2017, 09:35 AM
Certified Hooligan

Bruce, try a helibar and a lower sargent seat on the K13. You can find em on ebay and if it does not work for you you can sell it right back.
Transformed my K12 into a bike I can comfortably ride all day. No other changes. I have a fused cervical spine and the bike was not rideable even for 20 minutes, before I HAVE to stop. Besides, there really is no relevant alternative to the K13. You already have a track rocket. The XR has the same engine you already have on the S1K. GS/A and the R RS are boxers, lot of character, different though.
2011 DR650
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Aviator' for this post:
Old 07-22-2017, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw
Yeah, its a no brainer. No fun if you're hurting.

Look forward to see what you pick.
R, XR, GS, GT, HD, Rocket 3, Vmax?

Or I hear Burgmans are a hoot around town.
JC:

I just need to reverse the aging process and all my problems go away. Need to get back 20 years.

On a serious note I want to stick with BMW. Might have to get this one.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
jcw
Old 07-22-2017, 09:39 AM
Twisted Wrister

Cage with class.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator
Bruce, try a helibar and a lower sargent seat on the K13. You can find em on ebay and if it does not work for you you can sell it right back.
Transformed my K12 into a bike I can comfortably ride all day. No other changes. I have a fused cervical spine and the bike was not rideable even for 20 minutes, before I HAVE to stop. Besides, there really is no relevant alternative to the K13. You already have a track rocket. The XR has the same engine you already have on the S1K. GS/A and the R RS are boxers, lot of character.
Of course when I ride the bike it truly is an awesome machine.

I took video yesterday - okay it came out terrible - but even if it had not - I would not have posted it - going forward no way can I have the speedometer in view.

I thought I was taking it easy - the video indicates something much different.

Even though I ride my RR a lot - it does not have the same brute feel of power well actually the K bike is a torque monster.

Don't get me wrong the RR is faster but it gets serious way up the RPM range - it gets real crazy over 10K where as the K bike pulls tree stumps at warp speed much lower down.

All very very addicting - I've been in rehab my entire life - it doesn't work.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 07-22-2017, 09:53 AM
(Moderator) My Life is a Blur

Send a message via Skype™ to Karlb

Quote:
JC:

I just need to reverse the aging process and all my problems go away. Need to get back 20 years.

On a serious note I want to stick with BMW. Might have to get this one.
if you are considering 4 wheels, go have a drive in one of these.

prior to the C7 I was never interested in owning a corvette, drove a C3, hated it, drove a C5 it was ok but would rather have an M car. 2 years on and 20k miles in the C7 and my next cage will be a grand sport. they are one hell of a lot of car for the money.
The following (4) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Karlb' for this post:
Old 07-22-2017, 09:54 AM
Twisted Wrister

Tah-dah! Eureka, the solution. Always go fast enough so that there is no pressure on your hands and arms. Spend the money you would have spent on a new cycle on attorneys.

Owned a C2, C3, C4 (3 different years). Each model became less of what the Corvette was initially designed to be. To each his own.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:09 AM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,756 Times in 1,770 Posts

Try a S1000XR, R1200RS and a R1200R.
If you like the R bars better than the RS bars they can be swapped.
The R1200RS is available in black for 2018.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Lee' for this post:
Old 07-22-2017, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlb
if you are considering 4 wheels, go have a drive in one of these.

prior to the C7 I was never interested in owning a corvette, drove a C3, hated it, drove a C5 it was ok but would rather have an M car. 2 years on and 20k miles in the C7 and my next cage will be a grand sport. they are one hell of a lot of car for the money.
Last weekend at the track there were a few Z06's and a few of the drivers knew how to drive - it was untouchable. The only other car there (which I got to go out for a session)that was giving them fits was an Audi R8 - the driver was one of the best drivers there that day.

That car is more money than the Vette and all the cars that are up to tasking the Vette are a lot more money.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 07-22-2017, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee

Now that bike looks fantastic in black - I like the gold forks and lettering.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 07-22-2017, 10:30 AM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,756 Times in 1,770 Posts

Quote:
Now that bike looks fantastic in black - I like the gold forks and lettering.

It's Black Storm Metallic.
Is that the same black as your RR?

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

Old 07-22-2017, 10:36 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,983 Times in 2,874 Posts

Bruce, two of my closest riding buddies developed carpal tunnel to the point where they couldn't ride, and both had surgery, and both are back to riding with no hand/wrist issues - granted both are riding bikes that are more upright than the K13, but they were out of the game, and now they're not.

As for the elbow is it "tennis elbow" or "pitcher's elbow" (lateral or medial epicondylitis, respectively)? I had tennis elbow to the point where if I shook someone's hand it felt like 10,000 volts ran up my arm. A steroid injection helped temporarily, but a year lay off and learning a new backhand when I resumed playing solved it. I could ride, but when I got off the bike I couldn't bend my arm for 15 minutes to a half hour -
that was fun while it lasted There is surgery for the condition as well.

Surgery is no fun, and you'd probably be off the bike for some time following surgery, but you live in a place where there is winter, so that's not as much of an issue.

There are alternatives, and in the meantime, ice and ibuprofen are your friends. Hope you come up with a workable solution.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'CJS350' for this post:
Old 07-22-2017, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
It's Black Storm Metallic.
Is that the same black as your RR?
Yes it is - well the stock plastic is - my racing fiberglass is gloss back - didn't want to spring for the metallic - not to mention 1,800 track miles later and the paint looks pretty bad.

Between debris hitting the bike - me hanging off of it - it certainly looks less than pristine.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 07-22-2017, 10:43 AM
Site Contributor

I want one of these.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'jcw' for this post:
Old 07-22-2017, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS350
Bruce, two of my closest riding buddies developed carpal tunnel to the point where they couldn't ride, and both had surgery, and both are back to riding with no hand/wrist issues - granted both are riding bikes that are more upright than the K13, but they were out of the game, and now they're not.

As for the elbow is it "tennis elbow" or "pitcher's elbow" (lateral or medial epicondylitis, respectively)? I had tennis elbow to the point where if I shook someone's hand it felt like 10,000 volts ran up my arm. A steroid injection helped temporarily, but a year lay off and learning a new backhand when I resumed playing solved it. I could ride, but when I got off the bike I couldn't bend my arm for 15 minutes to a half hour -
that was fun while it lasted There is surgery for the condition as well.

Surgery is no fun, and you'd probably be off the bike for some time following surgery, but you live in a place where there is winter, so that's not as much of an issue.

There are alternatives, and in the meantime, ice and ibuprofen are your friends. Hope you come up with a workable solution.
Heck I start taking ibuprofen a day before every track event and continue right through the entire event.

That is really for my neck. Yes I have golfer's elbow/pitchers elbow and at times it hurts just like you said - 10,000 volts shooting out of my elbow down my arm.

I'm not opposed to surgery and before I stop riding motorcycles I will go that route.

And I'm still trying to get Karen to consider leaving MA for a warmer climate.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 07-22-2017, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw

I want one of these.
I was on track last weekend for one session in one of these - it was awesome.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
jcw
Old 07-22-2017, 11:06 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Bruce, I compete at long course triathlon and know a little about pain. I just wheeled my K onto the drive ready for tomorrows ride. That alone is enough to cook my juices. I know that I'll be awake too early and pain can fuck off. I'm going to be a long time dead so now is the time.
There are a lot of positive comments here. Be strong brother. We're all with you.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Chris4Fingers' for this post:
Old 07-22-2017, 11:18 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:

Austin, TX is a warmer climate and has one of, if not THE best tracks in the country. COTA is calling your name. Plus THCR and AHR rallies are close by. Heck, if you live on the east side of Austin out near COTA/Bastrop you could buy a bunch of land and build your own private track and still have money left over after the sale price of most east coast (MA) homes.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'stxman4' for this post:
Old 07-22-2017, 01:02 PM
Certified Hooligan

Bruce, what you are describing may be a cervical root radiculopathy. It usually is felt as a burning sharp pain in the outer side of the elbow, below the joint and you will have numbness and weakness in the fingers as well.
Get with a good spine doc and have an MRI done. PM me if you want to talk off the grid.
2011 DR650
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Aviator' for this post:
Old 07-22-2017, 02:20 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Bruce,
As far as the K1300S not being the hottest bike to sell right now, my dealer will beg to differ, ive talked to him just last week and told him if my new hip dont agree with the S I'll be trading it in, he told me he'd give me top dollar for it, he said he's got customers calling him constantly for one, he said now that BMW pulled the plug on the S everybody wants one, he sold 4 of them in two days!! So my suggestion is if you want to dump it, don't hesitate do it now
Old 07-22-2017, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator
Bruce, what you are describing may be a cervical root radiculopathy. It usually is felt as a burning sharp pain in the outer side of the elbow, below the joint and you will have numbness and weakness in the fingers as well.
Get with a good spine doc and have an MRI done. PM me if you want to talk off the grid.
Mani:
I'm not sure but when I went for my annual physical a few months back I swear talking to my doctor he mentioned that but I kind of didn't pay attention - thinking when the time came I would go to a specialist. Now he may have said something completely different but it sounds familiar.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 07-22-2017, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs530
Bruce,
As far as the K1300S not being the hottest bike to sell right now, my dealer will beg to differ, ive talked to him just last week and told him if my new hip dont agree with the S I'll be trading it in, he told me he'd give me top dollar for it, he said he's got customers calling him constantly for one, he said now that BMW pulled the plug on the S everybody wants one, he sold 4 of them in two days!! So my suggestion is if you want to dump it, don't hesitate do it now
That is good to hear around here there has been no interest what so ever.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 07-22-2017, 02:51 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,869 Times in 1,128 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy

Acupuncture

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Flyboy' for this post:
Old 07-22-2017, 08:48 PM
Fuse lit...
Thanked 1,035 Times in 394 Posts

Advil is my recreational drug of choice and Costco is my supplier. I carry that big ass jug of them on my adv rides.

Bruce, sorry to hear of your discomfort. Hope it gets sorted for you so you can carry on!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'PittsDriverWes' for this post:
Old 07-22-2017, 09:15 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,802 Times in 2,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriverWes
Advil is my recreational drug of choice and Costco is my supplier. I carry that big ass jug of them on my adv rides.

Bruce, sorry to hear of your discomfort. Hope it gets sorted for you so you can carry on!

Too much of that and you'll fry your liver.
An alternative worth trying.
https://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthi...-turmeric.html

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'jargon' for this post:
Old 07-22-2017, 10:03 PM
Getting up to speed

I've had carpal tunnel surgery and it changed my riding completely. Do it. You won't be sorry.

If you have insurance, it should pay most of the cost. The surgery only takes about 25 minutes per hand. But...you have to wait for one hand to heal before you do the other. Or get someone to wipe your rear. If I'm not clear about it...think hard.

I never got pain, but my hand would go to sleep. I'd be riding through the worst part of my commute and my right hand would be asleep. No throttle, and no brake. And in a place where 5 lanes of traffic was trying to merge into 3 and all at 60 mph. Scary.

Chris
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Daboo' for this post:
Old 07-24-2017, 05:38 AM
B2R

Send a message via Skype™ to B2R

Bruce my wife had both of the surgeries and it was easy and changed her life.
Quick healing and back in action.

Your best bet is a XR in my experience. Much more exiting than a GS. More upright than a 1000S which will hurt your wrists. The RS has a position in-between the S and RS and might still be to little.

The XR is also small and easy to maneuver and has great handling.
KTM 1290 SAS ('17)
KTM 1090 R ('17)
BMW 1600GT ("18)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'B2R' for this post:
Old 07-26-2017, 09:57 AM
Site Contributor

Hi Bruce,
I bought and installed the Verholen bar risers which Pirate Lair sells on my K12S (got the 50mm). They made a world of diff in that the wrist pain went away. I was more upright too.
You can rotate these bars (check out pics at the Lair's website). They also have the 80mm risers for the K13S which brings them up/back more.
Good luck on your decision.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'cesarb' for this post:
Old 07-26-2017, 10:52 AM
Shooting the gap

Sorry to hear this Bruce.
I've been suffering with some nerve issues in my neck, makes my right thumb go numb and then my whole hand. Sounds very similar to your problem, sometimes I have that nerve impingement where the 10,000volts shoots right down my arm.

Last Monday, I had a steroid injection in my neck to try and calm things. As of this moment, it hasn't done a thing. On long rides, the issue rears it's ugly head but I'm able to move around and "shake it off" so to speak. I have a bad back as well so the sciatica burning down my right leg sometimes takes the attention off the arm issue!

I'm headed up your way Friday on the K16GT, riding into Vt for the weekend. If you want to take the big girl for a ride, let me know, she'll get your attention!

2014 K1600GT
2006 K1200GT (sold)
2011 HD Street Glide (sold)
2009 HD Fatboy (sold)
1989 K100RS (sold)
1986 Suzuki GSXR-750 (sold)
1980 Suzuki GS750G (sold)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'JonK100RS' for this post:
Old 07-26-2017, 01:13 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2R
Bruce my wife had both of the surgeries and it was easy and changed her life.
Quick healing and back in action.

Your best bet is a XR in my experience. Much more exiting than a GS. More upright than a 1000S which will hurt your wrists. The RS has a position in-between the S and RS and might still be to little.

The XR is also small and easy to maneuver and has great handling.
Bruce has superbike already.
Why get "the same" ?

RS, GS (not Adventure) or if he likes to tour at proper speeds, GT. Mind you, it is NOT easy to manoeuvre when stationary.

Sorry to hear about your issues Bruce - for me, GS was the fix. I switched from K7 GSX-R 1000 to K12S, then to GS. C5/6 in my neck.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:44 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee

The r12rs really looks nice Bruce, especially in black. Swapping the bars is a great idea. I never thought I'd consider anything other than a 4 cyl engine, but this bike may make me a convert.

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s
Old 07-28-2017, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK100RS
Sorry to hear this Bruce.
I've been suffering with some nerve issues in my neck, makes my right thumb go numb and then my whole hand. Sounds very similar to your problem, sometimes I have that nerve impingement where the 10,000volts shoots right down my arm.

Last Monday, I had a steroid injection in my neck to try and calm things. As of this moment, it hasn't done a thing. On long rides, the issue rears it's ugly head but I'm able to move around and "shake it off" so to speak. I have a bad back as well so the sciatica burning down my right leg sometimes takes the attention off the arm issue!

I'm headed up your way Friday on the K16GT, riding into Vt for the weekend. If you want to take the big girl for a ride, let me know, she'll get your attention!
Jon:

Thanks for the offer. I have ridden the K1600's a few times - no doubt a much better riding position. I don't want that big of bike - as I'm getting older the big bikes are getting harder to handle.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 07-28-2017, 07:05 PM
Thanked 1,434 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:

Who's MA?

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Capt Howdy' for this post:
Old 07-28-2017, 07:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Howdy
Who's MA?
Massachusetts to some place warmer.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 07-28-2017, 07:49 PM
Supporting Vendor

I know we're all different but for me the only time I get temporary numbness in either hand is when in bed trying to sleep. A slight change in position all goes away. Only time I have no numbness is when riding the RR up to 500 miles in a day. Might sound funny but when I recently had the dislocated disc in my neck pinching a nerve which gave me excruciating pain in right shoulder/arm and hand the best therapy was a 2700 mile 7 day ride on the RR plus the preceding climbing the ladder on and off the boat at the cannery dock in Alaska several times a day where the tide range is average 20 feet so a lot of upper body exercise. I highly recommend going to a remote cannery in Alaska and run up and down the rebar framed ladder a few times each day. Then get on the RR and go for it.... In fact, that physical therapy regimen shall be repeating itself 8/17 when I go back up to take over the boat for a couple of weeks. Then, hopefully, a ride to Northern California and back. Hoping all works out for you, Bruce. At our age any riding we can endure makes for a good day.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Howkan' for this post:
Old 07-28-2017, 07:50 PM
The Other White Meat

Just read through this thread and feel a little better knowing I'm not the only one suffering this sort of pain and discomfort. Don't get me wrong, Bruce, it's just that the same pain (racquetball elbow, three shoulder separations, etc.) and numb right wrist and pain in my neck and shoulder blades detract from my riding enjoyment.

15 years ago I used to read threads in R bike forums about guys our age then having the same problems; sore neck/back/wrists/fill in the blank body part so they're now transitioning to a more upright position bike. At the time I thought "Well, it sucks to be you!" Well, now I am that person and yes, it sucks to be me....or Bruce.

As much as I cannot stand the notion of ratcheting back in terms of my rides, I'm reminded of an encounter I had circa 2003 with a rider on a Honda Interceptor. I'd stopped at a scenic overlook and he stopped by to check out the views as well. Wearing leathers and showing a very good riding style as he pulled up, he then took off his helmet and that's when I got the whole picture. This guy was the mirror image of "Sully" the airline pilot who saved his passengers with the fantastic NYC river landing only this encounter was five years prior. We talked and I learned that he was a 70ish retired airline pilot and the Interceptor was his link to his professional past.

Anyway, I digress, sort of, we're all hostages to our genetic makeup and life experiences. All I can say is that he's been an inspiration to me ever since. I need to play with my Bumblebee's ergo's so I'm thinking that a visit to the Heli Bar web site is in order for me.

Bruce, good luck with this situation and if it makes you feel any better I want you to know that I'm going through almost the same thing with my alpine skiing interests. There comes a time when one must face reality and for me reality is I want to ski and ride for a very, very long time and I intend to do whatever it takes to satisfy both pastimes.

Good luck.
'04 Ducati 1000DS SS
'05 Ducati ST3
'06 K1200S (bumblebee)
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'spanky' for this post:
Old 07-28-2017, 09:00 PM
Fuse lit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jargon
Too much of that and you'll fry your liver.
An alternative worth trying.
https://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthi...-turmeric.html

My doc tells me that, at my body weight and state of health, that I can safely take up to 4 200mg Advil at a time and up to 4 times a day. I'll look in to the alternative - I hate taking anything if I don't have to.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:02 PM
Fuse lit...

Bruce you should do what I did - jump on an adv bike and go out and bust your ass often enough so that you've got other things distracting you from your existing discomforts. You only live once.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'PittsDriverWes' for this post:
Old 07-28-2017, 09:07 PM
Shooting the gap

I got my k1300 a while back and the transition almost crippled me glad I did not get the Daytona 675 anyway I have been in physio for years pricy no doubt but mine is paid for
the guru fixed me up.

A good physio is a gods send .theres lots of coping that can be done with it and unless your bone on bone grinding joints in a total arthritic meltdown you can be ameliorated. Hell man dont give up the ship.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:04 PM
Administrator

The deal is most of this is a direct result of advanced degenerative arthritis in my neck. C3, C4, C5, C6, C7 and I suspect now C8 are full of arthritis.

The last MRI I had did not show C8 looking bad but my hands are now numb a lot so I suspect that may be the case.

MRI is not pretty my docs told me years ago - if I was not in their office in front of them they would estimate they were looking at an MRI of an adult male in his 80's.

I think they were making a point that my neck did not look great.

I'm not supposed to wear a helmet - the weight of it could break my neck.

Going forward I may have a procedure to clean up the arthritis - basically they scrape it off of my neck.

I rode my K1300 today about 80 miles - second time this week - mild pain in my elbow while riding.

This evening my right hand is numb - very mild pain in my elbow. Left hand mildly numb no pain in left arm.

By Monday/Tuesday most pain will be gone - slight numbness will remain in my right hand.

Everyday I have neck pain - from mild to moderate - and on occasion maybe a few times a year severe. I have very limited range of motion turning my head to the right all the time. On occasion the same turning to the left.

A few weeks ago I had a very rare weekend - I woke up at the track - no neck pain - no range of motion problems turning my head left or right. Arms, elbows and hands no pain or numbness.

I rode two days better than I had in a very long time - it was fantastic.

Following Monday woke up back to the usual.

I used to do a lot of neck exercises but stopped - the more I did them the more my neck and arms hurt.

Getting old not a problem - falling apart a big problem.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 07-28-2017, 10:32 PM
Shooting the gap

I have found that the K1300 riding position is very conducive to tendinitis.
Physio had me do exercise to strengthen bits of the bod to take load off the affected area

an odd bit of physio is a laser pointer and a chart to practice eye and head movements
she is going ot get me to do it with helmet on next
it helps a lot how I have no idea but I was getting tennis elbow and masty tmj pain from evn short rides

apparently one should shift ones eyes a lot more than is normally done no doubt my glasses having narrowed my range of vision have contributed to a bobbing twisting head ahich loads up muscles and causes a lot of pain

Id ry the mod with the higher bars on the gt moving the weight f the head back so the neck becomes a colum and not a crane helps alot
Old 12-03-2017, 02:15 PM
Getting up to speed

Bruce, I had wrist pressure issues with my K 1200 R Sport. So I placed 4 large metal washers under the two posts at the front of the seat where it fits onto the frame of the bike next to the fuel tank. This lifted the front part of seat enough so the pressure on my wrists was relieved and my crotch no longer feels jammed up into the fuel tank. Can't hurt anything to try and see if this helps you out. Good luck.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Casey' for this post:
Old 12-03-2017, 03:00 PM
Site Contributor

Putting the Wunderlicht crown and Rizoma bars made a HUGE comfort difference for me on my K1200R. But I still suffer with my throttle and sometimes clutch hand numbing, tingling, and cramping. And occasionally my thigh will start cramping and giving me grief. I shudder at the thought of a 'rag-doll' like never before. (who was that chicken-shit wanting to wear an airbag on his back? )
Welcome to life AFTER 50 years and countless insults to your body.

One does not give up motorcycles because of growing old
One grows old because of giving up motorcycles.

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
Wunderlich/Rizoma handlebar conversion
Acerbis "Dual road" hand guards
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
2014 Triumph Rocket III Roadster 'Prudence'
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Big o'l chrome engine-bars w/ highway pegs.
CRAZY LOUD "Denali" air horn.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'FR1956' for this post:
Old 12-03-2017, 05:18 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by KafkaKaffe
I have found that the K1300 riding position is very conducive to tendinitis.
Physio had me do exercise to strengthen bits of the bod to take load off the affected area

an odd bit of physio is a laser pointer and a chart to practice eye and head movements
she is going ot get me to do it with helmet on next
it helps a lot how I have no idea but I was getting tennis elbow and masty tmj pain from evn short rides

apparently one should shift ones eyes a lot more than is normally done no doubt my glasses having narrowed my range of vision have contributed to a bobbing twisting head ahich loads up muscles and causes a lot of pain

Id ry the mod with the higher bars on the gt moving the weight f the head back so the neck becomes a colum and not a crane helps alot

Progressive lens in glasses, if you have them, have a relatively narrow field of clear vision forcing one to turn their head more. I have a pair of glasses with regular bifocals used when I ride that give me good peripheral distant vision.

My medium Schuberth helmet felt like my jaws were in a vice. I changed the cheek pads to large and the problem was solved. Maybe it is the helmet fit.

Take a close look at your equipment. Good luck with your recovery.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:46 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Agree. I do not wear progressives when riding due to the narrow field of view.

I wear bifocals for riding and driving.. BUT..... the top is distance and the bottom is "computer" distance. Perfect for seeing guages. Works excellent.
96 K1100RS SE (caretaker)
09 K1300s
Old 12-03-2017, 10:16 PM
Twisted Wrister

What about one of them 3-wheeled things?

https://can-am.brp.com/spyder/?redirect=false

This would be 2nd choice

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/slingshot

At least one would be "out" in the open air...no worries of tip-overs...that's probably where I'll wind up...someday...

As of SEPT-2018,
'85K100RS,Original Owner,DOWN@*200,620*mi
**Parked in the living room, waiting for possible restore**
'03K1200GT, 4th Owner,55,480mi. To replace the '85
**Miles Ridden since owned: 24,910
'96R1100RS,3rd Owner,80,310mi.
**Miles Ridden since owned: 49,510
'07 650 V-STROM, 2nd Owner, 38,125mi.
**Miles Ridden since owned: 10,350
Old 12-03-2017, 11:01 PM
Site Contributor

I've been a K guy since 85, love them multis. Started having having neck issues and and knew it time for change upon the k13(lowered pegs and bar risers). Tried the RS, loved the look, the sound and power. However my left hip did not. Bought a XR nearly 6 months later I m laughing my ass off every time I ride that machine. I still do look longingly at those RS's .
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'aclearspot' for this post:
Old 12-04-2017, 07:49 AM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,829 Times in 1,388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlytle
Agree. I do not wear progressives when riding due to the narrow field of view. ....
Ditto, but to clarify it's the loss of side vision that is the worst, and dangerous. When the head is turned and eyes shifted as well progressives make it hard to see. I'd much rather struggle to see the GPS than an approaching car.

BTW, we came very close to buying an M4 last Saturday. The temptation was great, very great.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:52 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabnfvr

BTW, we came very close to buying an M4 last Saturday. The temptation was great, very great.

That is just 'So Wrong' on so many levels

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
Wunderlich/Rizoma handlebar conversion
Acerbis "Dual road" hand guards
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
2014 Triumph Rocket III Roadster 'Prudence'
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Big o'l chrome engine-bars w/ highway pegs.
CRAZY LOUD "Denali" air horn.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:10 PM
Zealot of Beer

I don't know how a particular person's hips or knees would hold up against a lowered seat but I took a chance and bought an OEM low profile seat and, wow, it made at least as much improvement in my posture as the helibars did in relieving the stess on my wrists. Making a point of sitting up straight instead of slouching helps, too.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXdB
I don't know how a particular person's hips or knees would hold up against a lowered seat but I took a chance and bought an OEM low profile seat and, wow, it made at least as much improvement in my posture as the helibars did in relieving the stess on my wrists. Making a point of sitting up straight instead of slouching helps, too.
The low seat does change the angle to the bars - I had the low seat and certainly it was better than the normal seat in regard to the angle to the bars.

I also wear progressive lenses and have not had problems on the street - at the track they can be tricky - I have a pair of glasses for distance only - don't care about reading the instruments.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)