I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 08-07-2017, 07:57 AM
Entering the on-ramp

New owner questions ...

Hi. had my 2011 K1300s a week or so now, done around 500 miles and have some questions;

1) On my intro thread I discussed some issues with overheating - having cleaned radiator out I am now seeing the gauge rise to 5 and sometimes 6 in traffic, and it falls down to 4 once out of traffic - this was in 18 to 22 Celsius temperatures. Does this sound OK or should I see the gauge drop down 3 after traffic ?

2) A few concerns about shift assist .... I sometimes get a very clunky change with shift assist - especially at slow rates of acceleration and shifting up from 1 to 2 ... and even worse when engine is cold. Is there possibly an issue - maybe with the gear location potentiometer ? The cold shifting from 1 to 2 is so bad it's created a right old clatter and I now use clutch when shifting 1 to 2 when cold.

3) Throttle - seems to be a lot of play and / or a "dead" patch where nothing happens when moving throttle .. this is worse when going off throttle in traffic and then wanting to add enough throttle to maintain speed and arrest the previous deceleration. Going back on throttle after this quite often produces a severe "snatch" and jump forward of the bike in traffic. This gets worse the hotter the engine is.

4) Clattering noise when coming off throttle ... relatively slow speeds - say 40 MPH down to 10MPH when approaching traffic - sounds like it's coming form the airbox ... is this normal ?

Thanks for any inputs. Other than the above, really enjoying the bike and especially the ESA when I am riding 2 up with the wife.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:33 AM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,774 Times in 2,047 Posts

Re: New owner questions ...

Toby, Congrats, great bike.

1) mine always runs 3 bars and doesn't fluctuate. I had the rad soaked while removed for 18k servicing and bars used to be 4, now 3. I suspect your problem is air in your system. The rad fluid must be drained and filled using a pressurized tool like a MityVac. Any air in those tiny inner areas will cause trouble.

2) shift assist does not like going from 1-2, nor does it like a flat throttle. Slight, to heavy throttle above 2 nd and its very effective at shifting.

3) there is a nut where the throttle cable ends up at the grip. Try adjusting that...small movements at a time. Too tight and when you turn the bars, you might have too much tension and throttle may actuate.

Let us know if these help.

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 08-07-2017, 12:13 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Have a 2016 MS, 2500 miles. Agree with Jargon on point #2 going from 1st to 2nd with shift assist. It appears to be the nature of the K1300S. I enjoy the shift assist when being mellow and at low rpms. Refer to page 81 and 82 of the manual. There are some warnings, conditions and limitations.

Went for a test ride on a GS at Cross Country BMW in NJ 2 weeks ago. The salesman wanted to check out my 2nd gear on the 13S (2200 miles at this point) before giving potential trade value. Stated he had taken 2 13S with bad 2nd gear. Asked why 2nd was bad. Stated they didn't know how to ride. Have not seen anything on IBMW about this (2nd gear) as far as I can recall.

Liked the GS better than the older model that I test drove years ago. Not ready to give up 2 cylinders and 50 HP yet. Max in Troy gave me a loaner GS to get back to NYC when they worked on my 2004 GT clutch / o ring in 2008. Put close to 400 miles on a new GS. GS gives the potential for low speed awards versus the K for high speed awards. Those awards can cost too much these days.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:40 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks for the input folks. So ..

1) I need to learn how to change gears better (1st & 2nd)...

2) Am going to have coolant change done by a local BMW expert, after I take delivery of a new radiator cap (had issues with these in the past .. once bike has overheated a little, I don't trust original / old radiator caps).

Anyone have any feedback on the rattling noise on throttle off ?
Old 08-07-2017, 02:56 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,406 Times in 3,136 Posts

Mine will run three bars as long as I'm moving above 40 or 50 miles an hour if I get in traffic it certainly goes up four to five bars and even as I start moving again it could take a long time before it drops back down to 3 bars.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 08-07-2017, 03:42 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Bruce - thanks .. that is roughly what mine is doing ... it did go back down to 3 on two occasions - both when moving above 60 MPH and with air temp below 14 Celsius.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:21 PM
Getting up to speed

I don't really use the shift assist at low revs or speed . I find it best at or above 6000rpm, sometimes with a little pop from the akrapovic.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:38 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,172 Posts

I suspect you need an oring kit in the cam chain tensioner to freshen it up. Kit costs about $18 us, labor is about a half hour.
Yes, shift assist is really only for the upper gears and not for 1-2 shift.
I agree that you should be seeing only 3 bars on the road. The radiator is difficult to really clean. The fins are so close it is hard to do on the bike. After you straighten fins and pick out individual rocks and bugs, blow with air from the back to front. I they use some spray solvent like carb cleaner from back to front. Then water flush too.
When I have it off the bike it takes me about 2 hours to clean it. Dealers are hesitant to do all this, they rather sell you a new one. Also changing fluid, you must refill using a vacuum system to draw down on your bike coolant system thus reducing or eliminating bubbles that are trapped in small chambers in the cylinder head. You will be able to tell if it was done correctly by the rather fast overheating when underway, not a good thing at all.
I agree about removing some throttle cable slack, you need a little bit though. Change of state of the throttle has always been a complaint for some owners. Read about "booster plugs" and Accelerator plugs. Or 02 sensor manipulators
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/bmwafo2sema.html
I use one of these and it helped with stalling and throttle lag:
http://www.sol2.be/Performance/ENG/Home/page.html
All it does is tell the bike it is 20*C cooler and only works at change of state of the throttle.
The AF-XiED unit seems to help people too.
Your finding out that traffic and the city are not friends to your bike. But you are on the correct path cleaning your radiator. Of course there are two radiator caps, the pressure cap is on the coolant overflow tank left side of the bike.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:53 PM
Entering the on-ramp

My bike is brand new and after reading your post i paid more attention as too how mine reads.
Mine acts the same way as Bruce described his, if im sitting in traffic or riding behind a truck at slow speeds, my temp goes way up, and like Bruce says once i get moving at a good pace it takes a very long time to get back to 3 bars, sometimes it never goes back to 3 stays at 4
Old 08-26-2017, 06:11 PM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,590 Times in 1,714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs530
once i get moving at a good pace it takes a very long time to get back to 3 bars, sometimes it never goes back to 3 stays at 4
Our K1300Ss were the same.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

Old 08-27-2017, 04:11 PM
Shooting the gap

For my own 2 cents on the quick shift: For me it works were on the 1st to 2nd, but you need to be "on the throttle" moderate to heavy for it to work well at that level. It is great when accelerating on to highway from 1st, and I use it a lot when starting from a red light while I pull down my face shield.

YMMV

k_enn
Old 08-29-2017, 08:23 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks for replies ... am finding that now the radiator is cleaned out, it runs on 4 to five bars and has, on two occasions, going fast in sub 12 Celsius temperatures, gone back down to 3 bars.

Also did the engine vibration washer fix .. much happiernow, but I do get quite a knarly vibrating sound when I accelerate hard .. is this normal ? Also the whine of the timing chain .. mine if very pronounced ... again - anything to worry about ?

Am also learning about the quick shifter .. not using it when going slow or not accelerating at a reasonable rate .. but here's a thought .. due to quick shifting a lot of the time, I haven't learnt as much about clutch shifting on this bike as I would on a non QS bike ... I've simply had less practise and I'm still not very good or smooth yet.... which takes me to another topic ...

Downshifting .. blipping throttle doesn't seem to work on this back, and some of my down shifts have been horrible ... no scratch that ... many / most of my downshifts are horrible. This is my first shaft driven bike .... any advice on downshifts gratefully received.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:12 AM
Twisted Wrister

On shifting... My 015 K1300s MS likes the quickshift mostly under acceleration, preferably hard acceleration in the 1-2 shift. You can also early-shift (under about 4000 rpm) under light acceleration. If running steady speed, best to use the clutch, particularly in the 1-2 shift, less so in higher gears.

As for downshifts, I find it unhelpful to blip the throttle.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:12 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,172 Posts

It's a good size engine and down shifting takes practice to do the rev matching. Not as easy as a bike with a slipper clutch. You will get there. I'm finding I don't care for the quick shifter on my S bike. I purchased the solid linkage and will be installing that soon.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:58 AM
Shooting the gap

quick shifter on the K13s/r works best +3500RPM and under, minimum, slight acceleration
Old 08-30-2017, 07:23 AM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,785 Times in 1,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHB1984
quick shifter on the K13s/r works best +3500RPM and under, minimum, slight acceleration
But never on a downslope at almost no acceleration. Nope, she don't like that.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:40 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabnfvr
But never on a downslope at almost no acceleration. Nope, she don't like that.

Yep - for sure ... already had a few really clunky changes due to that. The other thing I find is that 1st to 2nd when engine cold is also not good. As I said, I think I actually need to ignore the QS for a while and just learn how to change smoothly with the clutch. QS makes us lazy I guess and I've not bothered to learn as much about non QS changes as I should.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:45 AM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,785 Times in 1,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfiller
Yep - for sure ... already had a few really clunky changes due to that. The other thing I find is that 1st to 2nd when engine cold is also not good. As I said, I think I actually need to ignore the QS for a while and just learn how to change smoothly with the clutch. QS makes us lazy I guess and I've not bothered to learn as much about non QS changes as I should.
We're two-up almost all the time so smooth is very important. Try a slight pull on the clutch lever before upshifting. Don't pull it, just take the play out. This smooths the shifts and does not affect the shift assist. My guess is the clutch can slip ever so slightly if conditions are not perfect. Again, don't pull enough to engage the clutch, stop when the play is out of the lever. Works!
Old 08-30-2017, 10:30 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabnfvr
We're two-up almost all the time so smooth is very important. Try a slight pull on the clutch lever before upshifting. Don't pull it, just take the play out. This smooths the shifts and does not affect the shift assist. My guess is the clutch can slip ever so slightly if conditions are not perfect. Again, don't pull enough to engage the clutch, stop when the play is out of the lever. Works!

Thanks ... will give that a try .. ,my need for smoothness is also the same ... 2 up riding with a very critical pillion ;-)
Old 08-30-2017, 04:06 PM
Shooting the gap

The implementation of the Quick Shift is crude at best. Don't get me wrong, I like and use it often...but it has a steep skills learning curve due to it's rather simple design.

It's nothing like an Automatic Transmission wherein Hydraulic Valves and Actuators do all the work for you. Cutting Ignition/Fuel when the Shift Lever is pulled upwards simply takes load off the transmission Gears (actually the entire Drivetrain) and thus allowing the Shift Forks to freely move and thus select the next higher Gear Set when you move the Shift Lever up.

The QS requires you to have some "skill" over several parameters:

1. Engine Speed
__a. Always increasing, never steady state or decreasing.
__b. Typically up shifting at 3500 to 4500 RPM during normal acceleration.
__c. 5000 RPM and all the way to Redline during hard acceleration.

2. Engine Load
__a. Light or no load will result in very clunky action, especially in the lower gears.
__b. It really really likes heavy loading.

3. Gear Selection
__a. 1st to 2nd is something to work up to as it requires the most skill and is not to be used except for a very narrow set of conditions...over time you'll get a "feel" for when this can be done.
__b. 2nd to 3rd is much easier than 1 to 2 and works better most of the time.
__c. 3rd to 4th is easier still.
__d. 4th to 5th even easier.
__e. 5th to 6th easiest and the most tolerant of sloppy skill.

4. Engine Oil Temperature
a. As someone mentioned earlier - engine warmed up (not cold engine oil).
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers. Color: Red/Black.