I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300R > "K13R" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13R" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 11-06-2017, 06:01 PM
Getting up to speed

Mad Cow Ride

With 2 years ownership coming up in Dec 17 I decided to take the black beast on a longer run & conveniently or coincidentally was invited onto the 2017 Mad Cow Run which gave me the opportunity to see what this baby was made of & see if I could entice any gremlins from the bike for BMW to fix prior to my 2 year warranty expiry date. As it turned out, she's made of solid sterling stuff indeed as 1500km over 4 days ticked over it absolutely proved that this machine is the best thing I've ever owned with 2 wheels & I'll never know why BMW discontinued it. If a K1400R existed, I'd be there tomorrow with my deposit. The other guys were stunned when I told them my beast only cost 21K Au$ new with all options. The only "issue" I had was a shredded rear Metzeler M7 tyre which I had replaced with a very competitively priced Bridgestone Battlax by the great guys at Sale Honda who did the job on the spot while we ogled the old bike collection & grabbed a coffee & bite to eat across the road in the drive thru cafe (excellent tucker). Somehow that tyre got shredded to the steel belt maybe because of right hand twitchiness, not sure, not my fault really....you all know how it is, right ?

Suffice to say I've had 2 Busa's, Gixxers, Vmax etc etc,all great bikes in their own rights but this K 1300R has given me the most overall owner satisfaction by far. The ride itself consisted of a track from Melbourne via Dederang, Walwa, Bombala, Bruthen, Sale, Melbourne, staying in country pubs each & every night. The roads & scenery were spectacular particularly from Dederang through to Bombala via Alpine road sections. The Bombala Imperial Pub overnight was a revelation & worthy of comment as country pubs & hospitality goes. We paid $80 each which included excellent dinner meal, accommodation & full works cooked breakfast.The publican Steve was a jack of all trades & handled everything himself, check in, bar service, chef duties, and ENTERTAINMENT via his electric guitar. I was surprised he didn't have a broom jammed up his arse to allow him to sweep the floor as he flitted around the place. Once the music started, Steve was ably assisted on stage by a local senior inebriated (male) "go go" dancer ! LOL. What a hoot that joint was. We applauded & offered to buy him a drink but he demurred slurring: "fark mate, I'm blind already".

The ride also gave me the chance to thoroughly test out my new Segura Nomad riding jacket which has to be the best jacket known to science & seemingly blended into & was made for that bike. I averaged 5.3 L/100 k for the entire trip & with a range of 320KM plus, low fuel situations were never an issue. Great weather all the way apart from a few showers on the Sale/Mel section.

Some of you might know, others maybe not that Bombala also has a very unique & unusual sign on the outskirts as you ride into town, it reads:

BOMBALA WELCOMES MOTORCYCLISTS ! The place was full of bikes on overnight or coffee stops so something to keep in mind. Can't wait till the next Mad Cow but I think some of us will be back there much sooner than that.
15 K1300 R
58 Tiger 110 (fast)
66 Bonneville (faster)
75 Trident (fastest)
The following (6) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Rev' for this post:
Old 11-06-2017, 06:09 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,650 Times in 1,171 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis
Re: Mad Cow Ride

Sounds like a good time!

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 11-06-2017, 08:01 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,793 Times in 2,064 Posts

Pics or it didn't happen mate!

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jargon' for this post:
Old 11-08-2017, 06:19 AM
De kessé ???
Thanked 6,365 Times in 1,717 Posts

That area of OZ has some outstanding roads and beautiful scenery , and by the sound of it you had a great time .

If you want to repeat the experience , with a bunch of like minded crazy people , I suggest you take a look here : http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=60631

Last rally was a blast , and the next one will be just as good if not better !