I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300R > "K13R" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13R" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 11-12-2017, 06:08 AM
Getting up to speed

Thinking of joining your gang

Hello there, new to this forum and hoping to be joining your gang!! I am looking at buying a K13R from a main dealer and would appreciate any info / opinions etc, both on things to look out for when buying and also how these ride, do's and do not's.

I a bit of a shorty (5'7'') and just hit the half century - been riding @ 14 years, on all sorts, from cruisers to super-sports. Currently have a Duc 749 and an SV1Ks. I have a much weakened left arm following a head on 8 years ago, and wondered how heavy you find the clutch - will likely get an Oberon slave fitted to lighten the load. Anyone done this and results?

Would also look to change the standard exhaust for something louder and deeper sounding - any advice in this respect much appreciated.
Don't think the bike needs much else - seems to be pretty fully loaded which is nice.

Hope ok and apols loads of questions in me first post!!
Cheers,

Andrew
Old 11-12-2017, 06:15 AM
Thanked 1,406 Times in 792 Posts

Re: Thinking of joining your gang

Welcome Andrew to the best forum on the planet. We look forward to your participation. I don’t have a k13 but a k12 which is the best bike I’ve ever owned. 92000 trouble free km and the k13 should be no different. Plenty of info on the forum if you use the ‘search ‘ facility. No doubt other members with k13s will soon reply.

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Capt Howdy' for this post:
Old 11-12-2017, 07:34 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,413 Times in 3,137 Posts

Andrew:

Welcome to the site. I've owned 1 K1200S and 2 K1300S's I'm the same height as you - I did switch to a factory low seat but I did ride many many miles using the standard seat. I think you will be fine but if you don't feel comfortable you can always change the seat.

I don't know how much your injury will affect your ability to use the clutch lever but with the quick shifter you don't need to use the clutch lever on upshifts and downshifting usually only requires minimal lever pull to complete the shift.

The big challenge I would think is while stopped.

Good luck I hope you end up with one soon.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 11-12-2017, 08:07 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
Andrew:

Welcome to the site. I've owned 1 K1200S and 2 K1300S's I'm the same height as you - I did switch to a factory low seat but I did ride many many miles using the standard seat. I think you will be fine but if you don't feel comfortable you can always change the seat.

I don't know how much your injury will affect your ability to use the clutch lever but with the quick shifter you don't need to use the clutch lever on upshifts and downshifting usually only requires minimal lever pull to complete the shift.

The big challenge I would think is while stopped.

Good luck I hope you end up with one soon.

Thanks for reply, appreciated. Low seat may be an option, hopefully common sense when stopped ie don't lean the thing over much lol and hopefully all is ok. I'm used to "lumpy" twins, so hopefully these are smoother to a degree - what's their slow speed manner? QS should resolve most probs as you say, downshifting no worries (fingers crossed). Do you clutch from 1st to 2nd or QS all the way and what's the QS like a mid throttle settings?
Any thoughts re exhaust end can replacement?
Thanks again,
Andrew.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'DoctorW02' for this post:
Old 11-12-2017, 08:21 AM
K-bike addict...part time mod
Thanked 1,457 Times in 669 Posts

Send a message via MSN to K-Man! Send a message via Skype™ to K-Man!

Andrew, welcome aboard mate
Congratulations on hopefully securing probably the best bike out there!
QS can be used from 1st, all the way up, whether slow or fast, it's a beautiful feature. Regarding the replacement can, I would not bother with anything other than Akrapovič, it is what BMW supplies as a HP (high performance) option.
The sound and performance is sweet, as is the beautiful titanium quality.
Good luck and keep us posted!

...when in doubt, twist the throttle and go for it...

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'K-Man!' for this post:
Old 11-12-2017, 08:31 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Man!
Andrew, welcome aboard mate
Congratulations on hopefully securing probably the best bike out there!
QS can be used from 1st, all the way up, whether slow or fast, it's a beautiful feature. Regarding the replacement can, I would not bother with anything other than Akrapovič, it is what BMW supplies as a HP (high performance) option.
The sound and performance is sweet, as is the beautiful titanium quality.
Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks again for full and quick replies!!
One further question if poss! Bike I'm looking at has heated grips on it - do these work well (subjective question I realise!)? I have oxford heated grips on my SV an dthey do work superbly.
Cheers,

Andrew.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:38 AM
K-bike addict...part time mod
Thanked 1,457 Times in 669 Posts

Send a message via MSN to K-Man! Send a message via Skype™ to K-Man!

Everything works well on these bikes, I've had 2 of them and simply love them!
Heated grips work like a treat, although I've only tested them down to about just below 0C, they have two stages, mild and very warm. Also highly recommend putting Grip Puppies on the grips, for more comfort and to stop wear and tear on them

...when in doubt, twist the throttle and go for it...

The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'K-Man!' for this post:
Old 11-12-2017, 09:31 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,766 Times in 2,796 Posts

Welcome to the site, a good test ride will answer many of your questions, and the knowledge of the group should fill in the gaps, meanwhile take a moment to introduce yourself here http://www.i-bmw.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152 and if you have a chance fill in your profile so we can know at least where you’re from.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:53 AM
ØZNAM
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorW02
Hello there, new to this forum and hoping to be joining your gang!!
You just did. Welcome Andrew!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Rick' for this post:
Old 11-12-2017, 10:02 AM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,051 Times in 793 Posts

If you get the bike, PM me for advice on an aftermarket exhaust... we carry quite a few for that bike....

Welcome to the collective....

Quote:

Would also look to change the standard exhaust for something louder and deeper sounding - any advice in this respect much appreciated.

Hope ok and apols loads of questions in me first post!!
Cheers,

Andrew
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Pirate' for this post:
Old 11-12-2017, 10:09 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

DoctorWO2

what to say.....

2 1200R

crashed nr 1 1300R on Autobahn : R.I.P

Currently nr 2 1300R : Ongoing transformation.

In my opinion regardless the flaws (BMW productionteam smokin some mushrooms) its the best bike ever built for its purpose and you can do the remake you want.

been runnin 3 exhausts : Two Brothers, MIVV, Accra
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Braggerman' for this post:
Old 11-12-2017, 10:47 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braggerman
DoctorWO2

what to say.....

2 1200R

crashed nr 1 1300R on Autobahn : R.I.P

Currently nr 2 1300R : Ongoing transformation.

In my opinion regardless the flaws (BMW productionteam smokin some mushrooms) its the best bike ever built for its purpose and you can do the remake you want.

been runnin 3 exhausts : Two Brothers, MIVV, Accra

Cheers. Which you prefer and why (got any pics?)
Old 11-12-2017, 11:30 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Thanks for reply, appreciated. Low seat may be an option, hopefully common sense when stopped ie don't lean the thing over much lol and hopefully all is ok. I'm used to "lumpy" twins, so hopefully these are smoother to a degree - what's their slow speed manner? QS should resolve most probs as you say, downshifting no worries (fingers crossed). Do you clutch from 1st to 2nd or QS all the way and what's the QS like a mid throttle settings?
Any thoughts re exhaust end can replacement?
Thanks again,
Andrew.

You will be impreased at how smooth the engine ia when you get things sorted out. Naturally, it runs smooth but if you continue reading, you will find that the engine can be made unbelivably smooth. Booster plug, if needed. Oberon, Power Commander, new exhaust, good oil, slipper clutch and air filtres. You will notice, it may feel like air. I notice that anyways
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Thunderhead308' for this post:
Old 11-12-2017, 04:02 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Hello,
You won't be disappointed if you get one of these. The clutch is not overly heavy and the QS works very well.
Only thing you need to look for is a good service history and the overall good condition showing it's been cared for.
The slip I use is an AC Snizter, basically a Remus Hexacone. I use without baffles and the sound is fantastic. Great quality and a sensible price compared to the Akra which is very large.

Let us know when you take the plunge, you won't regret it !!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Richard205' for this post:
Old 11-12-2017, 04:40 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard205
Hello,
You won't be disappointed if you get one of these. The clutch is not overly heavy and the QS works very well.
Only thing you need to look for is a good service history and the overall good condition showing it's been cared for.
The slip I use is an AC Snizter, basically a Remus Hexacone. I use without baffles and the sound is fantastic. Great quality and a sensible price compared to the Akra which is very large.

Let us know when you take the plunge, you won't regret it !!
That's great many thanks. Remus looks and sounds nice but a bit pricey also. I'm liking the look and sound (online clips) of SC Project, Lazer and GPR. Problem is a lot of these are not uk based although it looks like they ship here. The bike i am looking at has only done @8k miles, has full bmw service history and the dealer has a good reputation, so fingers crossed. Bike last serviced in the summer. Assuming all well, i need to check warranty also.
Cheers,
Andrew.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:50 PM
Getting up to speed

I see the AC guys are in my neck of the woods!! And make pillion seat cowls also!!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'DoctorW02' for this post:
Old 11-12-2017, 05:23 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,775 Times in 2,048 Posts

Quote:
That's great many thanks. Remus looks and sounds nice but a bit pricey also. I'm liking the look and sound (online clips) of SC Project, Lazer and GPR. Problem is a lot of these are not uk based although it looks like they ship here. The bike i am looking at has only done @8k miles, has full bmw service history and the dealer has a good reputation, so fingers crossed. Bike last serviced in the summer. Assuming all well, i need to check warranty also.
Cheers,
Andrew.
SC Project rocks on that bike!

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jargon' for this post:
Old 11-12-2017, 05:55 PM

http://www.i-bmw.com/gallery/showpho...e/big/cat/1663

Will do a tutorial to You tube in the end on hows and dos, hav done a lot on it and heck dont rember them all, custom in a great deal of things...

Booster plug
Belly pan wunderlich
Craschbar (from heed in polen) remake to fit better
Xenon headlight 75 Watts not the typical 35 watts bling bling
2 hella xenon foglight with 50 watts 6000k each, around 600 USD total
Garmin custom built center stand and wunderlich extender custombuild lockable, the original one isnt so good from stealin perspective.
Kobra handguards with custombuilt rails for fitting also extended
Lucifer mirrors with dayrunnin light,,,new glass in them..factory made glass cheap shit.
Puig windscreen cut down to fit the Kobras and metalextenders for stability (original is crappy) and the lip from MRA screen
Extender on the front lip
Oil guard from Australia
Water cooler guard
Custombuild rear for Hepco Becker topcase
Tooltube on two sides gives me also 3 liters more fuel with me.
Corbin Seat with heater

its more done to it but hey,,,gettin old
Old 11-13-2017, 03:26 AM
Getting up to speed

Cool. V nice looking bike
Old 11-13-2017, 03:36 AM
Thanked 1,406 Times in 792 Posts

Hey Andrew. I transitioned from an SV1000 to a k1200r. The difference is stellar. The k12/13 outhandles out performs and outsmiles the sv1000. The only better thing about the sv was the beautiful gearbox but the quickshifter fixes that. You will have no regrets.

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Capt Howdy' for this post:
Old 11-13-2017, 03:43 AM
Getting up to speed

Thanks for this - yep the SV has a good box (I have a QS on that also, which is sweet if you get it right, but very sensitive - only needs about 10mm move max for a shift).
Old 11-13-2017, 10:16 AM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,775 Times in 2,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jargon
SC Project rocks on that bike!

Found a picture. Canister comes in several finishes.

https://www.sc-project.com/bmw_k1300r_e.htm

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jargon' for this post:
Old 11-13-2017, 11:29 PM
Site Contributor

A K1300R? You lucky bastage.
The only motorcycle ever to share its shadow is the K1200R

Welcome to the faithful(if you are wise enough)

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
Wunderlich/Rizoma handlebar conversion
Acerbis "Dual road" hand guards
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
2014 Triumph Rocket III Roadster 'Prudence'
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Big o'l chrome engine-bars w/ highway pegs.
CRAZY LOUD "Denali" air horn.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'FR1956' for this post:
Old 11-13-2017, 11:37 PM
Thanked 2,250 Times in 944 Posts

G'day Andrew,

This is what the beast looks like with an Arrow Titanium slip on muffler. It sounds good too without the dB killer.

Current Rides
2017 BMW K1300R
2004 Yamaha WR 450F

Previous Rides
1982 Suzuki GSX 250S
1993 Suzuki DR350
2004 BMW 650GS Dakar
2005 BMW K1200R
2013 BMW K1300R
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'doctor350' for this post:
Old 11-14-2017, 02:10 AM
Getting up to speed

Nice