I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 11-19-2017, 08:37 PM
Entering the on-ramp

2006 lower cowl fairing panel cover repair

Hey guys anyone repair or repaint the lower cowl fairing. I am doing some repair on my 2006. Was just wondering if anyone has done it. Has some dings and craks and bike was laid done one time.

Just was going to fill repair and bondo sand. But was wondering about paint. Epoxy flat black of course. Just trying to make her look pretty again. Bought it used in May and just staying busy over the winter with it.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2017, 09:49 PM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,046 Times in 792 Posts

Re: 2006 lower cowl fairing panel cover repair

Quite a few here have.. including my 2006... Did you have a specific question?

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Pirate' for this post:
Old 11-20-2017, 12:50 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I looked for white just like yours man BEAUTIFUL Love it. I have the grey and the lower cowl is just that basic black I was wondering if I could just use any epoxy paint and make it look new.

So is the stock one paintable or do I have to buy a new one? Where did you get the passenger seat cover-up or delete at?

Thanks

Bad ass Bkie
Old 11-20-2017, 09:00 AM
Supporting Vendor

Yes.. you can paint the oem lover cowling with any auto paint.. that's what I did...

My only advice is this... The lower cowl takes more of a beating than any other part on your bike.. If I had it to do over..no matter what color you decide, I'd use some serious paint protection before putting it back on the bike.. I've tried clear peel-n-stick 3M material and it works OK, but it's simply not enough..

I'd suggest this.... 3M Defender Spray Paint Protection.. It's cheap.. you can get it anywhere including Amazon. If you screw it up it peels right off.. Easy to apply.. Bam.

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Pirate' for this post:
Old 11-20-2017, 10:57 AM
Getting up to speed

Yep, I'll be doing some similar paint work this winter. My baby was idling in the driveway last week and then i heard a scraping sound, it fell over on its left side. I had parked it on an uneven bump in driveway. No cracks, but s few scrapes. Going to need some Colorite blue and silver and an airbrush and clear coat to fix. I'll try to get the pics up
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3769.JPG (54.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3802.JPG (22.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 11-20-2017, 10:26 PM
Zealot of Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
Yes.. you can paint the oem lover cowling with any auto paint.. that's what I did...

The plastic is so rough. Did you have to apply heavy primer and sand before putting on the color coat and clear coat? Did you do it yourself or have a shop do it?
Old 11-21-2017, 08:28 AM
Supporting Vendor

all good questions, but I have no idea... I leave all painting to professionals..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXdB
The plastic is so rough. Did you have to apply heavy primer and sand before putting on the color coat and clear coat? Did you do it yourself or have a shop do it?