I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

View Poll Results: What engine oil are you using in the k1200s
Mineral oil 119 18.65%
Semi-synthetic oil 92 14.42%
Synthetic oil 427 66.93%
Voters: 638. You may not vote until 'registered'. Please go here: http://www.i-bmw.com/register.php

Old 05-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Postmeister

Re: What engine oil are you using

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFW
No it is not. Modern highly-processed Group 3 "dino" oil has been shown to perform as good as "true" synthetic oil in many areas and actually slightly better than some "true" synthetics in a few others. This was why Mobil lost the court case they brought against Castrol (and their Group 3-based Syntec that they labelled as being "synthetic"). The judge found that the word "synthetic" had come to imply a certain performance level, not the oil's source.

After all is said and done, what matters is that your oil PERFORMS! Your motor doesn't give a damn how it is made. Group 3 Dino oils (that have only been available since the mid '90s) bear very little resemblance to the previous dino oils. Their performance can be on a par with true synthetics, and as I said, performance is all that matters. Even the venerable Mobil1 is mainly made from Group 3 stock now.

I always had the understanding that Dino oils had/have an additive package added to the base oil. This usually makes up 50% ( approx) of the oil by volume. This base oil is only a carrier for those liquid chemicals that allow the ICE to continue to turn. The base oil, if used alone, would not protect the engine very much, if at all. One of the 12 things that make dino oil so "no-good" ( as compared to quality synthetics) is that the additive package gets used, polluted, and breaks down etc. WHere as a GOOD quality Synthetic , is far less susceptable & holds it lubricating qualities much loner than dino ( sence it is ALL lubricant...)

Old 05-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Site Contributor

No slip noted today on Mobil MX4T.

Couple of full throttle 2nd and 3rd gear runs to redline. This bike gets disorientating when the power hits hard in 2nd gear.

Sweet...
Old 05-13-2007, 07:13 PM
Postmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw
No slip noted today on Mobil MX4T.

Couple of full throttle 2nd and 3rd gear runs to redline. This bike gets disorientating when the power hits hard in 2nd gear.

Sweet...

WHY did it slip before and not now?

Old 05-14-2007, 02:17 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by racegun
I always had the understanding that Dino oils had/have an additive package added to the base oil. This usually makes up 50% ( approx) of the oil by volume. This base oil is only a carrier for those liquid chemicals that allow the ICE to continue to turn. The base oil, if used alone, would not protect the engine very much, if at all. One of the 12 things that make dino oil so "no-good" ( as compared to quality synthetics) is that the additive package gets used, polluted, and breaks down etc. WHere as a GOOD quality Synthetic , is far less susceptable & holds it lubricating qualities much loner than dino ( sence it is ALL lubricant...)
50% ??? Nowhere near that amount.

So-called Synthetics ALSO have an additive package. The main difference is that they typically need somewhat less Viscosity Improver additives because they tend to thin out less at higher temperature. But all the other additives (detergents, dispersants, extreme pressure additives like ZDDP, antioxidents, and so on) are ALL there, and ALL much the same.

There are no real differences in "lubrication qualities" between so-called synthetics and other oils in the beginning. The main differences are that a good synthetic or Group 3 Dino oil tends to require less VI additives (because they tend to thin out less at high temperature), so there is less of these additives to degrade over time and cause these oils to thin out as time goes on. These oils also tend to undergo less oxidation over time as well.

But most importantly, most "synthetics" on the market today ...aren't. Since the early 1990s, there has been a revolution in oil refining, and the new Group 3 (highly modified) Dino oils have been shown to have much the same qualities as true synthetics. As a result of a court case where Mobil took Castrol to court, complaining that Castrol's "Syntec" as mainly made from Group 3 Dino oil, the word "Synthetic" has come to mean a certain level of PERFORMANCE... not how the oil was made. Mobil lost the case, because the judge ruled that it didn't matter HOW the oil was made; what mattered was the level of performance. Group 3 derived oils have been shown to perform as well as (and in some cases even a bit better) than some "true" synthetics.

The result is nearly all so-called Synthetic Oils now are mainly formulated from high quality, highly modified, Group 3 Dino stock.

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
Old 05-25-2007, 02:24 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

My new to me 2003 K1200 RS I bought with just 6,000 miles now 8,700 miles says it needs an oil of,,,

API SM SL/CF

But,,, when I go looking for oil,,, all I can find is,,, for example,,, Mobil 1 15 - 50 it has,,,

API SF,,, SG,,, or SH... CD or CE

Have the newer oil #'s superceded the older oil #'s??? Is the Mobil 1 ok to use in it???

QUESTIONS!!! I HAVE QUESTIONS I SAY!!!
Old 05-25-2007, 03:39 PM
Getting up to speed

Not to sound smart....but you will get a variety of opinions here. The most knowledgable opinion is that of BMW.

As you have read on this site and others...oil chemistry changes on the synthetics....even Mobil 1 (which I read to now having some dinosuaer oil in it). I'm not a chemist...so I have to rely on BMW.

Currently....BMW or Castrol are recommended.

Are there any other oils that BMW recommends?
Old 05-25-2007, 04:00 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2012

Come on, Vic, this is your kind of thread! It's about oil! And it's got a poll and everything!

I'd rather think somebody's a son of a bitch than to have him think I'm a son of a bitch.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:11 PM
Postmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin city limits
My new to me 2003 K1200 RS I bought with just 6,000 miles now 8,700 miles says it needs an oil of,,,

API SM SL/CF

But,,, when I go looking for oil,,, all I can find is,,, for example,,, Mobil 1 15 - 50 it has,,,

API SF,,, SG,,, or SH... CD or CE

Have the newer oil #'s superceded the older oil #'s??? Is the Mobil 1 ok to use in it???

QUESTIONS!!! I HAVE QUESTIONS I SAY!!!

this will work just fine. And if you have questions, give em a call

Old 05-26-2007, 12:31 PM

Thanks Racegun...

I mean,,, this is not my first Rodeo on oil... I own a farm and buy oil in 50 gallon barrels... Mostly use Shell Rotella in the tractors/combines and the Rotella Synthetic in the trucks/4 wheelers/mowers and my other motorcycles as the Rotella Syn won't screw up a clutch in a Jap bike... (((have had ST-1300/Concours/others run on Rotella Syn for well over 100,000 miles)))

I ride at least 1 time a year at least 10,000 miles in 15 - 20 days and being able to find oil,,, ANYWHERE,,, I am is important when it is time to change oil... The Rotella Synthetic can be had at any Walmart...

BMW's are a different breed and that is what got me asking questions... I THOUGHT,,, it was ok,,, but knew I would get a correct answer here...

Thanks again...
Old 06-15-2007, 01:36 AM
Never Sarcastic.

I find my K1200S runs best without oil. It's lighter, faster, hotter, and has a throatier growl for sure.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:52 AM
Postmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickman
I find my K1200S runs best without oil. It's lighter, faster, hotter, and has a throatier growl for sure.

that is correct..NO OIL....synthetic lube ..sir!

I am going to post more. ...soon ..but have had RP in bike for over 1,000 miles.

Important realizations:
1. Shifts as good now as when oil was fresh...bmw/castor did not
2.Shifts as good when hot in stop & go traffic as when first starting up
3. takes longer for temps to rise at stop. On daily route... a couple of stops are very consistant... long wait times & engine oil at same temp
4. engine feels smoother & revs w/ abandon!

I am just as happy as ......(you fill in the blank )

Old 06-15-2007, 08:05 PM
I'm Roll'n They Hate'n

Quote:
I am just as happy as ......(you fill in the blank )
A pig in ..........you fill in the blank.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:09 PM
Postmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan
A pig in ..........you fill in the blank.

NO YOU ! LOL

Old 08-17-2007, 10:52 PM
Getting up to speed

how come nobody has debated about cylinder and clutch glazing
back when i had my k12rs i started using synt. oils at 30000 klics and guess what came with that.
it began consuming oil,the more i rhode it the worst it got.
guess what!
when i got back to mineral the problem started to go away and the guy who bought it when i bought my k12s ,still rides it .
i use only motul
talk to mecanics about this and you can go on and on but the matter stands:a lot of motors are 'kind of sensible' to this phenomenon
stroker
Old 08-18-2007, 12:06 PM
Site Contributor

Hi Stroker.
Seems you had not read the string of notes above, you'd learn that synthetics are, well not as synthetic as they used to be.
For a start: what synthetic did you use?? Some syntethics used to cause seal swelling problems but that's a zillion years ago.???
Anyhow, too bad you were not at the BMW Club Quebec brunch at Victoriaville last Sunday, we could have debated the issue.
I sold godzillions litres of Mobil 1 for a living, hence you could think I'm biased, but I will stick to Mobil 1 for my cars and bike even if I must pay the same price as everyone else.
And as an i-bmw member stated in his signature: pourquoi parler d'huile moteur quand on peut rouler pendant ce temps l?.
Have a nice weekend.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Has gotten a ticket or three..

Do you run the Extended Performance oil in your cars or bike?
Old 08-18-2007, 02:33 PM
Site Contributor

Nope. The regular one is plenty.
Seems to me that the Extended Formula range is the old real full PAO synthetic stuff while the "regular" is group 3.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:52 PM
Getting up to speed

to oil head
that meeting was in my home town but ive totalled my S a month ago in WEEDON a month ago and i'm still waiting on insurance to pay ,but i'm done for the season since i injured my shoulder in the crash.
anyway the good out of it is that i will have a brand new 08 when the snow melts

a plus

stroker
Old 02-12-2008, 11:25 AM
(Moderator) " Shithead of the Year "

Talking Re: What engine oil are you using

Still using the same ....Mobil 1 ...15 - 50 syntethic
01 Checker for sale

" Somewhere in all this Horseshit ...... there got to be a pony ...... trust me "
Old 02-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Certified Hooligan

So what am I gonna use?
I have ~1200 miles on my K12S and I plan to stick with Rx dyno mineral. It is my routine for years now to break the winter hibernation, when I put the bike away in my hangar, to drain and fill fresh for spring. It did have a 600mile change from the dealer.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:45 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesTexas
Still using the same ....Mobil 1 ...15 - 50 syntethic

Used Mobil 1 15/50 Extended Performance in LT now use in RS. I use Red Line synthetic Hvy Shockproof Gear Oil in tranny and final drive. Change final when I change engine.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:41 AM

Oil? You mean ya spose to put oil in these cycles? Shoot,,, I thought they came with oil in them.

Attitude: The Difference between Ordeal and Adventure!
If you can't laugh at yourself,,, then your probably a asshole.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt_kurt
Oil? You mean ya spose to put oil in these cycles? Shoot,,, I thought they came with oil in them.

You are right. They come with a life time supply of oil in them. That life time can be extended by regular oil changes.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffearless
You are right. They come with a life time supply of oil in them. That life time can be extended by regular oil changes.

Well Dang! Who would'a thunk it. Next thing ya know you'll have ta pump ya own gas.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt_kurt
Well Dang! Who would'a thunk it. Next thing ya know you'll have ta pump ya own gas.

You realize of course that there are those reading this who have never had gas pumped for them and those of us who did the pumping
Old 03-22-2008, 09:05 PM

Mobile 1 MXT4 used here as well
Old 03-22-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubmw
You realize of course that there are those reading this who have never had gas pumped for them and those of us who did the pumping

My first job was pumping gas. Think I made 4 bucks an hour.

Bought a 1982 Honda Nighthawk 650, new,( first year they made them I believe) with the moola I made.

And the rest is history.

Oh wait. This thread is about oil. My bad. I'll just

Old 06-25-2008, 08:28 PM

WTF is this thread doing on the home page? The last post was in March. Are you admins screwing with us?

I'd rather think somebody's a son of a bitch than to have him think I'm a son of a bitch.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,829 Times in 1,388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB
WTF is this thread doing on the home page? The last post was in March. Are you admins screwing with us?
Don't know about the Admins, but the Mods aren't.

Somebody voted. That places the thread back on the "new" list.

Besides, we need a good oil thread discussion. It's been days.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:47 PM

Sounds like vics' work. You know how he loves a good oil thread.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:45 PM

Did I get here in time for the oil thread?

I thnk I missed the last one.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Well Mr. Anal ( you said it not me...lol.....j/k),
I am afraid to say. Cause then an OIL THREAD will start...and it could bring down the server.

So...i will wisper it.... royal purple

Do you think Jamie James of racing fame knows his stuff... cause he has been using it for many many yrs.

I met a man just the other day... he races with it in his busa drag bike... dino says it gave him 5 to 7 hp. Tear downs revealed much less wear than ANY other lube

PHEW....now I said it... remember i am only the messenger

I'm all about the royal purple too. I got an extra 5mph out of my R1100R with it over Castrol/Mobile 1 synthetics (oil being the only change). I just switched the K bike to the RP 20W50 Motorcycle oil from RP 10-40. Well see how the next 7k go.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:37 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KokomoKarl
I'm all about the royal purple too. I got an extra 5mph out of my R1100R with it over Castrol/Mobile 1 synthetics (oil being the only change). I just switched the K bike to the RP 20W50 Motorcycle oil from RP 10-40. Well see how the next 7k go.
20w50 is a little heavy for a k bike? I use 15w40 for diesels in my k. R.P. of course.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:13 PM

My owners manual says it's good. We get over 100 here in IN in the summer. I thin it out when it cools off.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:25 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
My owners manual says it's good. We get over 100 here in IN in the summer. I thin it out when it cools off.
Funny mine says no 20w anything. 15w50 is the highest multi grade listed.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:31 PM

Pg 78 says 20W50 for -10C to +30C. I'm not worried about it getting anywhere near -10C.
Old 08-01-2008, 06:57 PM

I've tried Spectro dino. 10w40, Motul Semi-Synthetic 10W40, Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Motorcycle Racing Oil 15w 50, BMW Full Synthetic 15w50, and now Golden Spectro Supreme Full Synthetic 10w50.

I've found that the ..w40 was too thin when ambient temp. reached 30 degrees C (86 degrees F). At that temperature, the bike's transmission was more difficult to use - clunky and misbehaving. And the clunky/ misbehaving disappeared when I went to a ..w50 oil.

And I found the 15w.. oil to be 'heavy' when first starting the bike. The bike definately likes a 10w.. when first starting.

Synthetic oils make a big difference. The bike runs cooler using synthetics. And synthetics make the bike easier to start. Synthetic oils cling better to the engine parts, giving better protection when the bike is not being used.

If I had to rate the oils I've used:

1. Golden Spectro Supreme Full Synthetic 10w50;
2. Mobil1 Motorcycle Racing Full Synthetic 15w50 (made for Triumph;
3. BMW Full Synthetic 15w50
4. Spectro dino. 10w40 and Motul Semi-Synthetic 10w40 tied for last place.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:25 AM
Shooting the gap

Interesting thread as I am new to the wet clutch business. I've used standard Mobil 1 15w50 or 15w50 Extended Performance until now on various dry clutch BMW's and Ducati's. Now plan to use Mobil 1 Racing 15w50 on the KS because I've heard it's wet clutch friendly. If this is wrong, please advise.
'15 KTM 350exc-f
'10 KTM 690 ER
Old 08-30-2008, 09:51 AM
Remembered Member

Send a message via AIM to 2tall2fall

I stick with the Mobil1 4T 10w-40....up 2U. Just another oil thread...... Thank ya Jesus!
06' K1200R-EZ Tuning Exhaust, EVO billet clutch slave, Evo dual race filter kit, Braking 'Wave' rotors and pads, Triton2 tail, Vario levers, Evo peg lowering kit, SW Motech crash bars, R&G sliders full set, Nippy Norman's rear fiberglass hugger, CRG bar end mirrors, ACS shield, RhinoMoto bar end sliders and CRG mounts, Evo torque arm, Pazzo shorty levers, EVO o2 modifier, Cortech Tail/+ Saddlebags, and more to come.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:15 PM

I have run Mobile 1 15w50 Extended Performance for the last 35,000 miles with not issues clutch or otherwise.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:33 PM
Shooting the gap

Hmmmm. That means I won't have to remember anything new. Not so easy for me to do lately.
'15 KTM 350exc-f
'10 KTM 690 ER
Old 09-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Entering the on-ramp

http://www.amsoil.com/products/stree...hitePaper.aspx
Old 09-13-2008, 04:28 PM

It is ever so good that the majority are using full synthetic as that puts me in the right mind as now I have done 36000kms and the bike is running like it should do and i have been using the silkoline oil ever since the first running in was done,thanks for all the votes and hope we will have loads more in favour of your different oils.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:08 AM
Site Contributor

Amsoil 10W40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil a blend of group 1V and V synthetic base stocks. Installed at 10,400km. Used Shell Rotella T for engine break in.
2008 K1200S
Old 10-16-2008, 11:40 PM
Site Contributor

Royal purple. Used it in the k12rs, use it in the R1, use it in the 350z. Still use Castrol gtx 20/50 in the ole' fj1200 though. I think she's used to it.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:20 PM
Getting up to speed

Once i was selling speakers and one of the things i was used to say was the full story af the product i was selling, but at the end i was also saying that from a tech standpoint the speakers xyz were the top but if you prefer what you HEAR from the ABC that is probably the BEST for you.
with this i mean that castrol GPS is the choice of BMW in Italy but when i ride using Castrol RS 10w50 i am more comfortable, the bike acts different. cannot justify from tech standpoint but this is it.
today i tried 7100 10W40
100% Synthse Technologie Ester Protection & Confort

Meets motorbike manufacturers' specifications. Very high film strength to protect the engine and gearbox. Easier and faster gear changing. Meets JASO MA. Ideal for oil immersed clutches. Compatible with catalytic converters.
Standards: API SL / SJ / SH / SG JASO MA

to me the clang in gearbox going from 2to 3 etc is easier to control, and engine runs smoother than GPS. Technology evolves oils every day and i do not have the competence to judge,moreover lies laying behind the marketing of product abd does not allow to get facts.
so what I feel is what counts!
looking for a new test next one will probably be (still 10W40 i believe too much drag with 10w50)
300V Factory Line
100% Synthetic
New double ester technology Maximum power and protection
300V 5W30
300V 5W40
300V 10W40
300V 15W50

4-stroke competition lubricant, double ester technology, developed for the leading factory teams. Lower friction for increased power. Exceptional film strength to protect the engine and gear box. Perfect for oil wet clutches.

please have a look at this http://www.motul.fr/uk/produits/index.html
.. an italian using a french oil..saying it works..
no comment
enjoy eligio
Old 11-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Getting up to speed

Where do you get Royal Purple Oil in Canada?

To the bleeding heart Liberals out there; whenever you start to question why we are in Afghanistan or our American friends are in Iraq, remember this, THEY started the war, we're just going there to finish it!
Old 11-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:

For those using Royal Purple, can you have a look at one of the containers, closely, and tell us what Group their oil is? Is it Group III oil, Group V, ?? I tried to find the info on Royal Purples site, but they don't seem to be very forthcoming with it. So, I'm assuming this isn't really a Synthetic oil in the technical sense, but rather just a slightly more modified conventional oil.

UPDATE: I found the info. Royal Purple is a Group V oil, at least the sites I've been able to find mention it, though I can't find anything conclusive. This doesn't mean Royal Purple is not a true synthetic, it just means they're not using PAO's as a base. But if they are unwillling to name the chemcial or petroluem base, then I have to say RP will be off my list.

The problem with Group V oil is that this is a catch all group, meaning it's not a Group IV (true synthetic), or a Group I & II (petroleum based), or Group III (more refined petroleum oil base).

It would seem only Group IV oils are true synthetic oils, and currently Mobil 1 is the only company that still uses a PAO base. Again, I need to research more to see if Mobil 1 is indeed the only one left. Sounds kind of fishy to me.

granted only a couple of source at the moment, and neither is a good source, IMHO:

quote: "How do I know what motor oil is a Group IV (4) based PAO synthetic motor oil?
As more and more large oil companies switched their "synthetic" motor oils to the less expensive/more profitable Group III (3) base stocks it has become much easier to identify which are PAO based true synthetic. Of the large oil companies, only Mobil 1, as of this writing (12-15-2007), is still a PAO based true synthetic."

via internet <http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/> retrieved November 2, 2008

via internet <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_oil> retrieved November 2, 2008

To the bleeding heart Liberals out there; whenever you start to question why we are in Afghanistan or our American friends are in Iraq, remember this, THEY started the war, we're just going there to finish it!
Old 11-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Entering the on-ramp

read this:

http://www.amsoil.com/products/stree...hitePaper.aspx
Old 11-03-2008, 08:26 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnyrock
seen that before. Amsoil sponsored oil test. Kinda tells you who one with out even reading it.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:09 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff
seen that before. Amsoil sponsored oil test. Kinda tells you who one with out even reading it.

Ya I saw that link too, ran away from that one.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:53 PM
Twisted Wrister

RotellaT 15-40 dino SM rating. cheap and no issues yet.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:40 AM

So, oil, sounds to me like if it feels good, it is good, I run BMW dino, and would love to go exotic, and maybe I will. for now the motor/tranny feels oh so good..
Old 11-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Site Contributor

Cool Re: What engine oil are you using

I switched from the BMW 10W40 to Castrol GPS 10W40 at 12,000 miles on my 2006 GT. I found this article to be quite interesting regarding the so called need for a motorcycle specific oil verses an automotive type oil. http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/oiltest1.htm

Their conclusion seems to be that the so called motorcycle specific oils are no better than the synthetic type automotive oils but both of these are better than most standard automotive oils.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeaholic
I switched from the BMW 10W40 to Castrol GPS 10W40 ....
Did you notice any difference in shifting

Just curious, but since you went 10W40 to 10W40 it would be an interesting point if you did. Castrol vs BMW (Golden Spectro in North America).
Old 12-30-2008, 01:57 PM
Site Contributor

Cool Re: What engine oil are you using

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabnfvr
Did you notice any difference in shifting

Just curious, but since you went 10W40 to 10W40 it would be an interesting point if you did. Castrol vs BMW (Golden Spectro in North America).

Tim,
I haven't really noticed any difference in shifting since making the swap from BMW 10W40 to Castrol GPS 10W40 on my 06 GT.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:34 PM
all right,then,i'll go to hell

the difference between ALL the synthetic oils is less than

the difference between reg dino oils or the difference between dino oils vs

synthetics

no less there are 2 distinctine syn oils......"Esters"...vs "Parafins"

i prefer "esters"

parafins have their place & shouldnt be overlooked

ive Raced with Golden Spectro.......AmsOil.......Mobil 1 & Red Line
& Never had a bad Experience

with any ! ! ! !

for the price & my overall confidence Mobil 1 is what i run
easily ontainable & priced right auto zone & walmart
really really cheap

bimota KB2TT laser
harley XR1000
buell SW-1 white lightning
Ducati 888 "SPO"
Ducati 996 "SPS"
Z1R-1000

BMW K1200RS "ORCA"

FJR 1300A
Old 12-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerD
It would seem only Group IV oils are true synthetic oils, and currently Mobil 1 is the only company that still uses a PAO base.
While I question the inclusion of Group III base stocks in the "synthetic" classification, I don't believe I'd say that Red Line (Group V polyol ester base stock) isn't a true synthetic oil.

Rusty
Old 12-31-2008, 11:06 PM
Getting up to speed

What the manual and dealership tells me it needs.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeaholic
Tim,
I haven't really noticed any difference in shifting since making the swap from BMW 10W40 to Castrol GPS 10W40 on my 06 GT.
That's good. I was hoping you'd say that.