I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 07-28-2007, 04:09 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Re: 2007 K1200GT idles at 3,000 after 9.1 install and no new airbox

Last November I bought a 2005 used goldwing. Have put 6000 miles on it with no problems of any kind and I changed the oil twice myself. Nothing else required It's a litle heavy for around town so I want to also get something lighter. I wanted a K1200GT after having a K100rt. Now that I read of your problems and the way you have been treated I will be looking elsewhere for a lighter bike. It's bad enough to have to fight with a problem bike but to also fight the company that built it is disgusting. The closest BMW dealer to where I live is 110 miles so just bringing my bike in to have it looked at is not a option. I thought these things were supposed to be dependable. Too bad because I liked the K100rt I had. Good luck to you.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:10 AM
The Inspector

Send a message via AIM to ClearwaterBMW Send a message via Skype™ to ClearwaterBMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvargas163
Last November I bought a 2005 used goldwing. Have put 6000 miles on it with no problems of any kind and I changed the oil twice myself. Nothing else required It's a litle heavy for around town so I want to also get something lighter. I wanted a K1200GT after having a K100rt. Now that I read of your problems and the way you have been treated I will be looking elsewhere for a lighter bike. It's bad enough to have to fight with a problem bike but to also fight the company that built it is disgusting. The closest BMW dealer to where I live is 110 miles so just bringing my bike in to have it looked at is not a option. I thought these things were supposed to be dependable. Too bad because I liked the K100rt I had. Good luck to you.

1. welcome to the forum
2. please introduce yourself, as your first post
3. the new bikes are fine
4. the problems have been rectified
5. most of us... if not all... are still happy with our bike

6. what bike would be better than the GT?

the FJR is HEAVIER and has LESS technology
the Concours is HEAVIER and really isn't a true TOURING bike (though we like it very much)

what other bike were you going to consider?
the GT (despite it's issues, which are now on the road to being rectified) still HAS NO EQUAL

just wondering
happy to have you here
sorry that you felt it necessary to make THIS your FIRST (and perhaps only) post

2007 K1200GT
2011 R1200GS Adventure (now a SIDECAR RIG by DMC)

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
Old 07-28-2007, 10:49 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:

I think that if you buy a K12GT you will love it and in all likelyhood will not experience any major issues with it. I've experienced high idle, but know BMW will take care of it, soon, and don't view this problem as affecting reliability of this machine.

This forum is where we owners exchange information about issues, and as such it performs a valuable service. It produces a very skewed view, since no machine, especially a model that is only a few years old, is without issues.

Get a K12GT, you will not regret it.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:41 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Smile Re: 2007 K1200GT idles at 3,000 after 9.1 install and no new airbox

Thanks for your reassurance that the GT is fine and that they got the problems fixed. I was really at a loss for what would be its replacement. Looked at the FJR
and the new Concourse and did think of these as a possible replacement.

Three weeks ago I went to Ride West in Seattle which is my closest dealer. I had spoken to a sales lady who was selling her RS at the dealershsip and I told her I would come down to see it on friday and this was tuesday. In the meantime I obtained financing and all I had to do was pick a bike (any bike) and the financing was a go. I even had a appointment with the bank that friday. I get to the dealership and they had sold it. Nobobdy told me. That's OK because up till then I was sure I wanted a R1200RT. They had one on consignment so I took it out. The saleslady couldn't get it started then couldn't get in in first gear. I made an offer subject to a test drive and it was the worst bike I have ever ridden. It made my hands go numb in about 10 blocks and idled poorly like it wanted to die. Something was wrong with it but they assured me it had been looked at. The sales lady had moved onto another customer during my test drive saying she had not sold a bike in 3 weeks and needed to get back. She knew I was there to buy and told me she expected to make a trip to the bank with me had another sales person at the dealership not sold her bike . She had another sales person help her with me and when I got back from the test drive he had gone to breakfast at 10 AM. I left the dealership empty handed, no bike after all the preparation. I only hope the service department is a little more dependable then the sales people.

I am a rider who had a 25 year lay off then got back into it. Since 2004 I have had a Yamaha V1100 Classic. A Harley Road King then a Harley Ultra Classic. Then a K100RT BMW and now a Honda Goldwing. Two months ago I had the BMW, Harley and Goldwing all at the same time. Now just the Goldwing. My favorite bike was the RT (1985) all had there advantages though. I will go back to the dealership and see about a GT since I think its a fine bike but after the posts about the problems (now Fixed) and the past sales fiasco ,I am gun shy. Nothing handles like a BMW that I have driven. I like the style too. My wife likes to ride almost as much as I do. I thought I was getting too old to ride (63) but I went on a ride with a guy 83 and had a time keeping up with him. He rides everyday and I mean everyday rain or shine. Is there any better bike for sporty one or two up driving that's comfortable? The K1200LT is nice but I want something lighter for around town and some touring.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:48 PM
The Inspector

Send a message via AIM to ClearwaterBMW Send a message via Skype™ to ClearwaterBMW

i'm so glad that you posted here on the forum
i truly think that you will LOVE the GT
BMW has listened to its RATHER VOCAL customer base and made what can easily be considered THEIR BEST BIKE

a few teething problems.... like any new bike/BMW isn't immune from that phenomenon
but.... in the end.... simply more than expected, at ANY price

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 07-28-2007, 06:27 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
I left the dealership empty handed, no bike after all the preparation. I only hope the service department is a little more dependable then the sales people.

The K1200LT is nice but I want something lighter for around town and some touring.

That's a pretty amazing sales story. No wonder she hadn't sold any bikes in 3 weeks. Also, the R1200 engine has an excellent reputation, and there's no excuse for letting you ride a demo that doesn't work. I think you have to work really hard to get these new Rs to act up.

I went from an 05 K12LT (which replaced an 00 K12LT) to the GT for the same reasons you state - I wanted something lighter for around town, but strong enough to go 2-300 miles without effort, in the rain. I'm an everyday year round rider, and the R12RT and GT were the main contenders. I'm glad I went with the GT, as I am really enjoying the handling. You will find quite a few ex LT riders here.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:18 PM
(Moderator) & Site Historian

Quote:
I left the dealership empty handed, no bike after all the preparation. I only hope the service department is a little more dependable then the sales people.

Set your gps from Ferndale to Fife!

There are two Seattle area dealerships owned by the same person, but operated by two different crews.

The other one in Fife is called Southsound BMW. If you are dissatisified with your experience at Ridewest, keep your options open and talke with the salesmanager there by the name of Wayne Elston. 1-800-303-1838. Wayne is a straight-shooter, very knowledgable, and all-around-nice-guy. You will like him.

You might have been reacting to the "twin-ness" of the R12RT if that was your first ride on a boxer. Ask Wayne to let you ride the GT. But, don't get lost in Fife!! <g>

Miles
Old 07-30-2007, 10:57 AM
Beemer or Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
sounds like you are on the right track
i wasn't meaning to sound PREACHY by my thoughts about your wife riding so early on a new bike

OF COURSE she is important in your decision
trust me.....
she'll forget ALL ABOUT YOUR Harleys..... 2 miles down the road

the BMW is INFINITELY more comfortable
you know what makes THAT so?
SAFETY

as you said..... H-D STILL doesn't give a crap about it's customers as their brakes CONTINUE to be the WORST IN THE INDUSTRY
and they will NEVER fix that problem

under-powered
under-braked

buy the BMW.... and you'll soon be the one to be seeing ALL OF THE MANY FAULTS in your IRON HORSE

as a MICROSOFT MAN....
i'll put it this way

THAT BMW is running VISTA BUSINESS....
the H-D is running CMOS from the Radio Shack Model 3.... circa 1981
and THAT IS A BAD THING

I think this is one great post. When I bought my 07GT at the end of May and took delivery on June I thought I had the newest version. I had them search for a bike with the Xenon option which they did. They found one in NJ and I am in Iowa. This one was built in Nov07. It has 2200 miles on it with only one problem so far and that is with the brakepad warning light. It is on until I get the the dealer for the 3000 mile service. Nothing else like HIS or BBS. Fingers crossed.

My neighbor is a big HD fan. He tried very hard for me to get a Road Glide. He has a VRod, Sportster and after I bought my GT he went out and bought a new Road Glide. I am so glad I held out. I love my GT. I cannot help it that I like BMW's. I just bought a 08 5 series. I think its the best 5 series ever so far.

Anyway, the post got my attention because of the way you said get comfortable on the bike before you add a passenger. I have yet to have my wife on back. Also, having lived in Seattle and contracted for Microsoft I remember that place well even if was the mid 90's.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:31 AM
Getting up to speed

My wife and I have did a $250 mile trip last weekend and had no problems what so ever. She was actually saying how much more comfortable the ride was than my other bikes. She also really liked the topcase to lean against.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:48 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by propel
I think this is one great post. When I bought my 07GT at the end of May and took delivery on June I thought I had the newest version. I had them search for a bike with the Xenon option which they did. They found one in NJ and I am in Iowa. This one was built in Nov07. It has 2200 miles on it with only one problem so far and that is with the brakepad warning light. It is on until I get the the dealer for the 3000 mile service. Nothing else like HIS or BBS. Fingers crossed.

My neighbor is a big HD fan. He tried very hard for me to get a Road Glide. He has a VRod, Sportster and after I bought my GT he went out and bought a new Road Glide. I am so glad I held out. I love my GT. I cannot help it that I like BMW's. I just bought a 08 5 series. I think its the best 5 series ever so far.

Anyway, the post got my attention because of the way you said get comfortable on the bike before you add a passenger. I have yet to have my wife on back. Also, having lived in Seattle and contracted for Microsoft I remember that place well even if was the mid 90's.

i'm so appreciative of your post and kind words
and i'm glad that my words SPOKE to you

the time will come when it's "RIGHT" for wife to ride with you... i promise

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 08-01-2007, 01:07 AM
Lost in the Dark

Okay, here's the deal....

I picked up my new GT late Tuesday Night, did about 100 miles of riding hills before I headed out on the road Thurday morning. As of Monday night it has 4500 miles on it. Has the "P" ECU and I had 1 instance of delayed throttle response when closing the throttle, and one absolute case of high idle. It idled at 3000 rpm. I wiggled the throttle cables at the 90 degree elbows and was able to effect the idle rpm. It dropped back down. That was around 3600 miles. I haven't had it happen since.

I have had a few occurances of the cruise control now wanting to engage. The only cure seemed to be to turn off the bike and start again. This worked until Monday night. then it took several times of restarting the bike until the cruise came back on line. I was also told that pulling the clutch lever would disengage the cruise control. I tried it and peged the tach needle. Is the clutch supposed to disengage the cruise? I'd think it should. Any suggestions?

Otherwise I think this motorcycle is freaking amazing. Unbelievable. The best machine I've ever owned. I ran it down to Georgia and several other state in the south and ended up on the Cherohala Skyway and a few others and could not believe how this bike handles. I rode with some ZZR1200 guys and there wasn't a rider I couldn't keep up with. It was so effortless on that bike. It was fun to watch them work at keeping the ZZRs on line in the tight twisties. Not the case for the GT it just rails through the corners. Put it on line and it stays on line, no mid curve corrections needed, and it leans waaayyy over with my back side still in the seat.

ESA Rules!

I'm not telling you folks something new am I? Thanks for the prepurchase advice given. This bike is in a league of it's own.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:27 AM
The Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by helodoc

I picked up my new GT late Tuesday Night, did about 100 miles of riding hills before I headed out on the road Thurday morning. As of Monday night it has 4500 miles on it. Has the "P" ECU and I had 1 instance of delayed throttle response when closing the throttle, and one absolute case of high idle. It idled at 3000 rpm. I wiggled the throttle cables at the 90 degree elbows and was able to effect the idle rpm. It dropped back down. That was around 3600 miles. I haven't had it happen since.

I have had a few occurances of the cruise control now wanting to engage. The only cure seemed to be to turn off the bike and start again. This worked until Monday night. then it took several times of restarting the bike until the cruise came back on line. I was also told that pulling the clutch lever would disengage the cruise control. I tried it and peged the tach needle. Is the clutch supposed to disengage the cruise? I'd think it should. Any suggestions?

Otherwise I think this motorcycle is freaking amazing. Unbelievable. The best machine I've ever owned. I ran it down to Georgia and several other state in the south and ended up on the Cherohala Skyway and a few others and could not believe how this bike handles. I rode with some ZZR1200 guys and there wasn't a rider I couldn't keep up with. It was so effortless on that bike. It was fun to watch them work at keeping the ZZRs on line in the tight twisties. Not the case for the GT it just rails through the corners. Put it on line and it stays on line, no mid curve corrections needed, and it leans waaayyy over with my back side still in the seat.

ESA Rules!

I'm not telling you folks something new am I? Thanks for the prepurchase advice given. This bike is in a league of it's own.

you need a new airbox
or to have your current airbox.... BANDAIDED until the TRUE "NEW" one is available from BMW sometime in the next couple of months

glad you have that "P" ECU....
but, without fixing that airbox.... the "hanging" throttle and other issues will persist

ask me how i know

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 08-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I want to get a BMW k1200GT. I have heard that they are wonderful bikes. I have no doubt that they are but here is my problem. I purchased a Goldwing with 4000 miles on it. I have had it 8 months and have put 7000 more miles on it. During this time I have changed the oil twice. No throttle sticking problems, no high idle problems no having to reset anything either. I just drove it and drove it. From what I see it looks like the BMW is not quite this problem free. Not big problems and no problems that would make you say you don't want to buy one or that they are not dependable. I am used to no problems not even little ones. Still want a BMW k1200GT and I will get one but when your used to no problems even little ones don't build confidence. Anybody out there with no problems for thousands of miles?
Old 08-01-2007, 01:13 PM
ØZNAM
Thanked 1,937 Times in 1,431 Posts

Quote:
Anybody out there with no problems for thousands of miles?
Have you seen this thread?

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...isfaction+poll
Old 08-01-2007, 01:20 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Just got my 6k service, 117.00. No problems whatso ever
Quote:
I want to get a BMW k1200GT. I have heard that they are wonderful bikes. I have no doubt that they are but here is my problem. I purchased a Goldwing with 4000 miles on it. I have had it 8 months and have put 7000 more miles on it. During this time I have changed the oil twice. No throttle sticking problems, no high idle problems no having to reset anything either. I just drove it and drove it. From what I see it looks like the BMW is not quite this problem free. Not big problems and no problems that would make you say you don't want to buy one or that they are not dependable. I am used to no problems not even little ones. Still want a BMW k1200GT and I will get one but when your used to no problems even little ones don't build confidence. Anybody out there with no problems for thousands of miles?
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'hazard' for this post:
Old 08-01-2007, 01:28 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard
Just got my 6k service, 117.00. No problems whatso ever

$117.00 for a 6,000 mile service
wow.......
i think my dealer will charge me 4 times that amount
..... considering my past experience with them

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'ClearwaterBMW' for this post:
Old 08-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

At 2300 miles or so I had one incidence of surging, 3000 RPM idle. Stop and go traffic (of course) and in the 80's, very humid. I stopped, shut it down, grabbed an Iced Venti Latte, inhaled it, and rode off trouble free.

Has not done it since then.

Maybe the secret is in the latte. Haha. But maybe by quickly "re-booting" when the problem showed up, I killed it. I did report it to my service manager, who checked all things I asked about (largely the list from this thread) at the 6K service. I've never had an issue with this service dept. on anything, and they found nothing, offered to dig as deep as needed if I wanted. I didn't get any "we've never heard of that" either. They knew where to look. I declined the offer, because it ain't broke anymore, and I hate to fiddle with it if it's running great.

7500 miles later, the bike is just a voracious, road inhaling beast. No more issues. If anyone is on the fence over these issues, get off the fence. I've owned a lot of bikes, and this is hands down the finest piece of 2-wheeled machinery I've ever owned or ridden. Greg's bike had major problems as we know from this EXCELLENT forum. The quality of the forum, and the depth and thoroughness of the discussion may make it look like these bikes are plagued, but they are not. And if you think other makes are free of any issue, just look around.

Every manufacturer has machines that exhibit design inherent problems. Other choices are not exempt. Caveat Emptor....
'09 FZ6R Black
Carvin Icon 4
Carvin Icon 6
Modulus Quantum 4
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'lownoterider' for this post:
Old 08-01-2007, 04:21 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:

It seems to go through tires quickly, don't know if that is considered a problem or not.

Claremore, Ok
Old 08-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Anybody out there with no problems for thousands of miles?
With the constant rain we've experienced this summer, I only have about 2,300 miles on my 07 K12GT so far, but it's been problem free.

Rusty
Old 08-01-2007, 04:49 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarthog
It seems to go through tires quickly, don't know if that is considered a problem or not.

not a problem to me

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 08-01-2007, 04:50 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC
With the constant rain we've experienced this summer, I only have about 2,300 miles on my 07 K12GT so far, but it's been problem free.

Rusty

that's great news
i hope that your weather improves very very soon

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 08-01-2007, 08:12 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:

Otherwise I think this motorcycle is freaking amazing. Unbelievable.

Congratulations. You've nailed the main problem with this bike: it handles so well and is such a joy to ride that you'll forgive just about any problems.

I've not heard of the cruise behavior you've described, but if I were you, I'd turn the cruise off with the slide switch and leave it off til you can get it repaired. Clutch should disable cruise, and it sounds as though the clutch switch is whats wrong with yours. I had a problem with cruise engaging on my K12LT that turned out to be a problem with the clutch switch out of adjustment.

Enjoy your bike - but I guess you didn't need me to tell you that.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Lost in the Dark

Quote:

7000 miles in 8 months?

Stick with the Goldwing.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:09 PM
Just Ride It

Quote:
7000 miles in 8 months?

Stick with the Goldwing.
Now why do you say that?

I've put 17K in 4 months on my GT, and the only problem has been a broken brake pad sensor wire, fixed under warranty without question. Sometimes the best roads just happen to be a state or two away.

But yeah, tire life is also a concern.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:17 PM
Lost in the Dark

Oh, I didn't mean that in a negative way toward the GT at all. My first run was nearly 5000 miles. I was pointing out that this bike loves to eat miles regardless of the type of roads. Something was lost in the internet translation. Sorry.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:16 AM
Just Ride It

No problem. After seeing your pic in the "Me & my GT" thread, I can tell that you get it. But beware, some of these guys think this bike is a sport-tourer, only good for weekend blasts on well-known local roads.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:22 AM
Dirty Hooligan
Thanked 1,207 Times in 494 Posts

TIRES 21,000 miles, on my 7th set
Old 08-03-2007, 09:57 AM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
But yeah, tire life is also a concern.

I know what you mean but it's really no concern...just a fact of life with the new K's and our choice of rubber...and, how we ride them.

If there is a concern, I suppose it is if you have enough money remaining for groceries after buying all the rubber it needs...

Old 08-03-2007, 10:38 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkarcher
Radar detectors are amazing. I have not gotten a ticket in two years when traveling with one. I mouned one on my KGT (escort passport 8500) and it saved me 4 times going to Erie and 6 times coming back.

BTW. My airbox was not taped. I asked the person who did the work.

Not to make you feel like you wasted your $ on a detector, but there isn't a day that goes by that I don't stop a speeder with a detector(useless).

But if it helps the economy, keep buying them.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:41 PM

Wow, this thread seems to have taken on a life all it's own! <g> Maybe when it reaches 400 posts we should "honor" it and turn it into it's own forum! <g>

I wonder how many have read all 389 posts in the thread? <g>

Miles
Old 08-03-2007, 01:02 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Miller
Wow, this thread seems to have taken on a life all it's own! <g> Maybe when it reaches 400 posts we should "honor" it and turn it into it's own forum! <g>

I wonder how many have read all 389 posts in the thread? <g>

Miles

i never imagined how this thread would CONTINUE to grow when i started it all those weeks ago

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 08-03-2007, 01:47 PM
Just Ride It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggiebone
I know what you mean but it's really no concern...just a fact of life with the new K's and our choice of rubber...and, how we ride them.

If there is a concern, I suppose it is if you have enough money remaining for groceries after buying all the rubber it needs...
My concern is that averaging 1K miles/week plus 6K miles/tire means I get to change a lot of tires. Doing regular 1K days means I'm constantly having to gauge whether my rear tire will make it to the end of the day or not. And I've got a 10k+ trip coming up at the end of this month, so I have to figure on how far I'll get before needing a replacement tire, which shops may be open in that state, or may have the correct tire in stock, whether I can get an appointment, etc. It just adds a level of concern that I'd like to minimize if possible.

If I'm just tooling around locally, doing a few hundred miles here and there then that makes things much easier. But this bike is my primary transport, and in many cases replaces interstate plane flights, so I need to be able to rely on it over the long haul.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:48 PM
Just Ride It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorman
Not to make you feel like you wasted your $ on a detector, but there isn't a day that goes by that I don't stop a speeder with a detector(useless).
A detector isn't a free pass, by any means. You still have to keep the brain engaged and pay attention to your surroundings. That's worth more than anything else, but the extra piece of information the detector provides can be quite helpful in many cases.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:17 PM

Quote:
And I've got a 10k+ trip coming up at the end of this month, so I have to figure on how far I'll get before needing a replacement tire, which shops may be open in that state, or may have the correct tire in stock, whether I can get an appointment, etc. It just adds a level of concern that I'd like to minimize if possible.

Ken,

Last month when I was last at the local dealership, the parts guy happened to mention that a few riders call while on the road, charge a set of tires on their credit card and make an appt. to get them installed. The service dept. then sets them aside since they are sold and await the arrival of the rider.

That would seem to eliminate allot of guesswork on which tires, whether they will be available, whether the shop will have a spot to put them on, etc.

Only downside to this approach is estimating when you might need tires - but with all the experience you have on the bike, it might not be that difficult.

Maybe keep an eye on the tires and call a few days ahead to the most convenient dealer.

Miles
Old 08-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Just Ride It

Quote:
Last month when I was last at the local dealership, the parts guy happened to mention that a few riders call while on the road, charge a set of tires on their credit card and make an appt. to get them installed. The service dept. then sets them aside since they are sold and await the arrival of the rider.
I've done that in the past too, though it was much harder with the unusual LT tires. One time I called ahead and had them hold a tire, only to ride several hundred miles and find the guy had pulled the wrong size tire. Then my options were $300 for a crappy Dunlop, or getting the ME880 (which I hated). Even then, I had to drive another several hundred miles to the next dealer to get a front tire. And that was on the west coast, where BMW dealers are much more common. I keep a spare set of tires in my garage, and I have had to get them over-nighted to me when I've been way out in the boonies and had a tire problem.

The GT takes more common sizes, but still I'm picky and don't like to take whatever tire they may be able to get. Plus SWMoto has great deals on tires, so I hate to pay full dealer retail unless I have to. On my last 1K trip north, I estimated that I had about 1K remaining on the tire, so I just brought along my spare. I made it OK, and then just changed tires out at a friend's house. But at least I had the piece of mind to be able to get myself back on the road if I needed to.

I wonder if I can make a spare tire carrier like you see on some jeeps and SUVs?

Old 08-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
I've done that in the past too, though it was much harder with the unusual LT tires. One time I called ahead and had them hold a tire, only to ride several hundred miles and find the guy had pulled the wrong size tire. Then my options were $300 for a crappy Dunlop, or getting the ME880 (which I hated). Even then, I had to drive another several hundred miles to the next dealer to get a front tire. And that was on the west coast, where BMW dealers are much more common. I keep a spare set of tires in my garage, and I have had to get them over-nighted to me when I've been way out in the boonies and had a tire problem.

The GT takes more common sizes, but still I'm picky and don't like to take whatever tire they may be able to get. Plus SWMoto has great deals on tires, so I hate to pay full dealer retail unless I have to. On my last 1K trip north, I estimated that I had about 1K remaining on the tire, so I just brought along my spare. I made it OK, and then just changed tires out at a friend's house. But at least I had the piece of mind to be able to get myself back on the road if I needed to.

I wonder if I can make a spare tire carrier like you see on some jeeps and SUVs?

Beautiful picture! What are we looking at?
"And I to my motorcycle / Parked like the soul of the junkyard / Restored, a bicycle fleshed / With power, and tore off / Up Highway 106 continually / Drunk on the wind in my mouth / Wringing the handlebar for speed / Wild to be wreckage forever." - James Dickey
Old 08-04-2007, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoraker
Beautiful picture! What are we looking at?

Hmmm, maybe Ken is not around right now. Looks like Crater Lake in Oregon.

Miles
Old 08-04-2007, 07:06 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:

I've got a little over 15,000 on my '07 that was purchased in late December '06. I've had one high idle issue that lasted around 100 miles and a burned out low beam. i'm on my second set of tires and have a third set waiting for me at the dealership in Orange, CA. I leave NC on Aug. 13 to get them installed.
That's it.

Mike

Mike
Old 08-05-2007, 12:54 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Hmmm, maybe Ken is not around right now. Looks like Crater Lake in Oregon.

Miles

Thanks, Miles
"And I to my motorcycle / Parked like the soul of the junkyard / Restored, a bicycle fleshed / With power, and tore off / Up Highway 106 continually / Drunk on the wind in my mouth / Wringing the handlebar for speed / Wild to be wreckage forever." - James Dickey
Old 08-05-2007, 05:03 AM
Just Ride It

Yep, Crater Lake National Park in Oregon. It's an old volcano that long ago filled with water creating quite an impressive lake.

I was busy farkling the bike today in preparation for a big two-up ride coming up in a few weeks. Added an HD top case rack, power for my iPod, move the Baehr intercom and cleaned up some wiring, etc. Small stuff, but needed to be done. Eventually you have to stop riding long enough to do some maintenance.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:32 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec
I've got a little over 15,000 on my '07 that was purchased in late December '06. I've had one high idle issue that lasted around 100 miles and a burned out low beam. i'm on my second set of tires and have a third set waiting for me at the dealership in Orange, CA. I leave NC on Aug. 13 to get them installed.
That's it.

Mike

Mike

How did you get 7K miles out of one set of tires?
Old 08-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorman
How did you get 7K miles out of one set of tires?

First, I'm 60 and my testosterone level has definately dropped! The original Bridgestones were changed in April at Lone Star BMW in Austin, TX, having around 4,800 miles. The service manager said they probably had another 1200 to 1500 miles left but, since I was heading to the Big Bend area and on to San Diego, I didn't want to be in the boonies with a tire problem. The Austin dealership put a set on Michelin Pilot Roads on the bike and pumped them up to BMWs specs. I rode on to CA and was back in NC two weeks later. At that point, I had 6,000 miles on those tires. Since then, I've added another 1200 miles on them. In July, I changed the rear tire as my wife and I were riding to the Rockies but I saved the TX installed tire. My dealership in NC said the tire was fine for the CO/NM trip (4400 miles) but I take no chances when my bride is with me. When I got back, I put the Texas tire back on and I'll head for CA in 8 days. Attached are a couple of pictures of the Texas installed Pilot Roads with at least 7200 miles on them.

I know the Pilot Roads have a harder compound and I check tire pressure before every ride. Many of the miles I've logged have been on interstates as I conduct business on my cross-country trips. So far, I really like these tires. I used to ride Harley dressers and I could never get more that 7,500 miles on a rear tire while the front tires would last around 20,000. The BMW seems like it will need a front tire about every 15,000 but I am speculating.

Mike
Old 08-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Just Ride It

Just to be clear, Mike, those pics are a Pilot Road rear with 7,200 mostly-Interstate miles on them? Running at 38 F, 42 R?
Old 08-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Just to be clear, Mike, those pics are a Pilot Road rear with 7,200 mostly-Interstate miles on them? Running at 38 F, 42 R?

Yes, the tire has a lot of interstate miles and those are the pressures I use.

Right after the install in Austin, I ran interstate to Dallas followed by a one day trip from Dallas to Lajitas, a little over 600 miles. After that, I played in the Big Bend/Presidio/Ft. Stockton area for three days before moving on to El Paso. After that, I went to Phoenix and about half of that was interstate. From there, it was interstate all the way to San Diego. I did almost no interstate to San Francisco. After that, I rode secondary routes to Sacramento but did the slab to Reno. I took US 50 across Nevada and much of Utah. After Moab, I was on interstate all the way back to NC.

I know the tires aren't as good in the twisties as a softer compound. In the rain, however, I rate them very high. I wish I didn't have to do so many interstate miles but work schedules simply demand it. I am leaving myself 7 days to ride from Seattle to Denver in a few weeks.
after that, though, I have to hit the big roads.

Mike
Old 08-06-2007, 02:03 AM
Site Contributor

I used to get 24K mi front and 18k rear out of ME880s on my K12LT. Tech said throttle technique and watching pressure were the main reasons for the mileage. He didn't say light throttle, but just technique.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:31 AM
Just Ride It

Thanks, Mike. My current commute is ~980 miles up I-5, so I understand about those interstate drones. If I have the time I'll mix it up with some smaller, twistier roads, but sometimes you just gotta eat miles. Even the interstate on the bike beats flying, so I ride it as much as I can.

Glad to hear the Pilots felt good in the rain. I'll have to try a set next time.

In fact, that was the biggest problem I had with the ME880s on my LT. Very poor wet performance, and they just felt sluggish in the dry. Fronts lasted me quite a while, though I actually got better mileage from the dual compund Avon fronts with much better feel and grip. And the rear ME880s gave slightly better mileage than the BT020 Radials, but again just felt worse. I never could seem to get some of the extended mileage that howfly and some other guys reported, so I chose to stick with better handling tires and just change two rears to one front.

At least the lighter weight of the GT means we have a few more choices.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:03 PM
Getting up to speed

Whew. What an emotional roller coaster. I just spent a good part of my afternoon reading through each and every post of this thread and when all is said and done, there's only a vague reference from Greg that his bike is fixed - but no details! WTF???

I must have closure. I feel like I just watched the The Sopranos' final epis................................................

... more Harleys, Hondas, Buells and BMWs than you can shake a stick at!
Old 08-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towjam
Whew. What an emotional roller coaster. I just spent a good part of my afternoon reading through each and every post of this thread and when all is said and done, there's only a vague reference from Greg that his bike is fixed - but no details! WTF???

I must have closure. I feel like I just watched the The Sopranos' final epis................................................

Many of us are just holding our breath for the end of the story, as supplied by BMW and their new airbox and ICV, presumably arriving soon.

More will be revealed.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:44 PM

Yeah Darrel, we're going to send the whole thing to a publisher, get it printed, hard bound, big roundel on the cover and the phrase "idles at 3,000" just under the flying propeller. <g>

Then we're going to see if Arturo Pieniero will make guest appearances at selected Barne's and Nobles for a couple of hours of book signings! <g>

Greg, by the way, as I recall, put the results of his bike's "brain transplant" in a seperate thread.

In all fairness, the GT's great basic design sells this bike in what seems like a continuous stream (unlike the R12ST which is flawless but was yanked from the market) despite its known flaws.

The light shines, though, at the end of the proverbial tunnel. This seems to be all but behind all of us GT owners at this date.

Miles

Last edited by Miles_Miller : 08-07-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:16 PM
The Inspector

Quote:

new ECU
install of 2nd "OLD" airbox.... taped up, at the bottom, by the excellent tech at my dealership

awaiting the TRUE BMW "FIX" coming (supposedly) soon
the bike is 100% fine now

rode 165 miles in 98 degree heat....
I-4... daytona to clearwater last saturday
at 80-90 mph
the bike performed FLAWLESSLY

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...
Old 08-07-2007, 06:33 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW
...the bike performed FLAWLESSLY

Awesome!

This is me doing my "I'm happy for you" dance.

... more Harleys, Hondas, Buells and BMWs than you can shake a stick at!
Old 08-07-2007, 07:43 PM
Lost in the Dark

BMW does come from an aviation back ground. Maybe they accidently incorporated some of that constant speed propeller technology.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:58 PM

How did this Hight Idle Thread turn into a Tire Thread ????

I have not had High Idle or BBS since I replaced my Avon 45/46's with Avon 55/56's four thousand miles ago.
Got 9,700 miles out of the 45/46's!!!

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
93 K1100RS
06 K1200GT

Warning: It is illegal to juggle kittens in the State of Kansas.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:54 AM
Site Contributor

I've never had high idle or BBS, but then my bike came with Battlax BT020s.

Rusty
Old 08-08-2007, 02:22 PM

The similarites of Greg's GT and mine might be of some interest on post # 415 of this thread. <g> (and feel free to correct me on any of this, Greg).

Both our GTs are very early '07's built just about a year ago to this date in August of '06.

Both were delivered to us by our respective dealers in Oct, '06.

Both were equipped identically.

Both had the old BMS-K ecu's.

Both had series 8.1 or 9.1 loaded into the old ecu and acted up about the same time - i.e. BBS, H.I.

Both bikes were then rendered unrideable.

Greg's bike remained so at his dealership a total of four weeks until the new BMS-KP with the 8.1 software pre-loaded in the new ecu was installed

Mine remained at the dealership a total of two weeks until the new BMS-KP with the 8.1 software pre-loaded in the new ecu was installed.

Both were collected by Greg and Me and both GTs have since run to spec. H.I. and BBS erradicated, presumably by the new BMS - KP ecu's.

In general it seems to me these early '07s - the ones we called Mk1's had the most glaring problems getting sorted. The '06's seemed to fair better and the newer '07 delivered after the factory began installing the new BMS-KP's faired the best.

In fact, if you look at the "satisfaction survey", I'm betting that 90 percent of the 50 percent that report no problems since taking delivery are the later, Mk2's with the new ecu delivered after about April of this year.

Miles
Old 08-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to larrykay

I have an early 06, and I noticed the BBS immedaitely. My dealer had to force version 7.0 or 7.1 in and I had no more problems until last month, when I got BBS and HI Idle on a hot day after a long ride, a shut down and then restart. I blipped the throttle a few times and it seemed to go away until I got home. I have not had it again. Of course, I have not ridden the bike enough recently as i have been away a lot. This week, I should give it some real workout on some longer rides in hot weather.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:28 PM

I have an early 06, built in February (irc).

I've had NO issues:

NO High Idle, NO BBS, NO brake pad warning light. Other than the clunky shifter in the first three gears, the bike has been perfect for 16,000 km. And I ride it hard, very hard.

But it doesn't surprise me to be in the top 10% as Miles puts it.

Oh, and I'm still running the lifetime oil in the final drive. I've received NO notice from BMW I should do otherwise. If it fails, it's their problem.

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 K1200GT CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
Old 08-08-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIZIKS
Oh, and I'm still running the lifetime oil in the final drive. I've received NO notice from BMW I should do otherwise. If it fails, it's their problem.

Chris,

We think alike. As this is being written, the GT is getting the 6,000 mile service. The service manager hasn't said a thing about the final drive oil, and I haven't. Let the chips fall where they may!! <g>

In fact, he just called and asked about synthetic. Says I - Sure! Talked abit about circlips, but the final drive never came up!

Might be a good idea to "wiggle" the rear wheel when it's floating free on the centerstand from time-to-time, though! Just to make sure.

Miles
Old 08-08-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Might be a good idea to "wiggle" the rear wheel when it's floating free on the centerstand from time-to-time, though! Just to make sure.

Thanks Miles. I'll give it a good wiggle every time I wash the bike. So far, zero play.

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 K1200GT CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
Old 08-08-2007, 09:45 PM
The Inspector

Quote:
Awesome!

This is me doing my "I'm happy for you" dance.

thanks for that dance

2007 K1200GT

live like you mean it...