I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200GT-Slant 4 Version > "K12GT" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12GT" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 08-08-2007, 10:46 PM
The Inspector

Send a message via AIM to ClearwaterBMW Send a message via Skype™ to ClearwaterBMW
Re: 2007 K1200GT idles at 3,000 after 9.1 install and no new airbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles_Miller
The similarites of Greg's GT and mine might be of some interest on post # 415 of this thread. <g> (and feel free to correct me on any of this, Greg).

Both our GTs are very early '07's built just about a year ago to this date in August of '06.

Both were delivered to us by our respective dealers in Oct, '06.

Both were equipped identically.

Both had the old BMS-K ecu's.

Both had series 8.1 or 9.1 loaded into the old ecu and acted up about the same time - i.e. BBS, H.I.

Both bikes were then rendered unrideable.

Greg's bike remained so at his dealership a total of four weeks until the new BMS-KP with the 8.1 software pre-loaded in the new ecu was installed

Mine remained at the dealership a total of two weeks until the new BMS-KP with the 8.1 software pre-loaded in the new ecu was installed.

Both were collected by Greg and Me and both GTs have since run to spec. H.I. and BBS erradicated, presumably by the new BMS - KP ecu's.

In general it seems to me these early '07s - the ones we called Mk1's had the most glaring problems getting sorted. The '06's seemed to fair better and the newer '07 delivered after the factory began installing the new BMS-KP's faired the best.

In fact, if you look at the "satisfaction survey", I'm betting that 90 percent of the 50 percent that report no problems since taking delivery are the later, Mk2's with the new ecu delivered after about April of this year.

Miles
100% correct
excellent post

2007 K1200GT
2011 R1200GS Adventure (now a SIDECAR RIG by DMC)

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
Old 08-09-2007, 03:24 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
In fact, if you look at the "satisfaction survey", I'm betting that 90 percent of the 50 percent that report no problems since taking delivery are the later, Mk2's with the new ecu delivered after about April of this year.
Miles,

Do you really think that 45% of the bikes represented in the survey are Mk2 2007s? My gut feel is that is a high number. My Mk1, for instance, hasn't exhibited high idle or BBS - yet! Just the mid-range flat spot in the fueling map.

Rusty
Old 08-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Again, I'm not conviced that its the ECU vs the software on the ECU. I'm still thinking that the 8.x/9.x software was never validated on the older ECU till say version 9.2.

The reason I am differentiating I would hate to see people buy a new ECU thinking that the older one was crap, when in fact it really is a BMW revision managnement issue.

Now of course if ASC or othe feature is only supportted on the new ECU and one wants that feature then thats another story.

Quote:
The similarites of Greg's GT and mine might be of some interest on post # 415 of this thread. <g> (and feel free to correct me on any of this, Greg).

Both our GTs are very early '07's built just about a year ago to this date in August of '06.

Both were delivered to us by our respective dealers in Oct, '06.

Both were equipped identically.

Both had the old BMS-K ecu's.

Both had series 8.1 or 9.1 loaded into the old ecu and acted up about the same time - i.e. BBS, H.I.

Both bikes were then rendered unrideable.

Greg's bike remained so at his dealership a total of four weeks until the new BMS-KP with the 8.1 software pre-loaded in the new ecu was installed

Mine remained at the dealership a total of two weeks until the new BMS-KP with the 8.1 software pre-loaded in the new ecu was installed.

Both were collected by Greg and Me and both GTs have since run to spec. H.I. and BBS erradicated, presumably by the new BMS - KP ecu's.

In general it seems to me these early '07s - the ones we called Mk1's had the most glaring problems getting sorted. The '06's seemed to fair better and the newer '07 delivered after the factory began installing the new BMS-KP's faired the best.

Miles
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'hazard' for this post:
Old 08-09-2007, 06:44 PM
(Moderator) & Site Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC
Miles,

Do you really think that 45% of the bikes represented in the survey are Mk2 2007s? My gut feel is that is a high number. My Mk1, for instance, hasn't exhibited high idle or BBS - yet! Just the mid-range flat spot in the fueling map.

Rusty

Rusty,

You've got me there - once again I didn't do the math! <g> The point of the comment was that in-so-far as I can tell watching new owners reporting in that have purchased GTs since about April presumably with the new ecu, there doesn't seem to be any with problems. Maybe I should have just said it this way.

And, this is a good thing, imo, by-the-way. It means that BMW, thru whatever means, seems to be delivering good GTs.

And yes, don't know why, many of the '06's didn't seem to cause problems with H.I. sticky throttle, or BBS. And that's a good thing, too.

The reason for going thru the "similarites" post comparing the "history" of two early '07's was to demonstrate how the problems just seemed to multiply for awhile with at least these two bikes before they were resolved. (thankfully resolved!!)

Miles
Old 08-09-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard
Again, I'm not conviced that its the ECU vs the software on the ECU. I'm still thinking that the 8.x/9.x software was never validated on the older ECU till say version 9.2.

The reason I am differentiating I would hate to see people buy a new ECU thinking that the older one was crap, when in fact it really is a BMW revision managnement issue.

Now of course if ASC or othe feature is only supportted on the new ECU and one wants that feature then thats another story.

Hazard,

Glad you made this point regarding the "new" ecu's. It needed to be stated and was left out of my post you quoted.

Why two 07's were "fixed" with just a "new" ecu is, for sure, a mystery wrapped in a shroud! (and there may have been more that were "rescued" this way).

But there is evidence that shows just putting a new ecu in may not eliminate H.I. or BBS.

And yes, paying $700 for a new ecu on a hunch is asking too much.

In my case the new ecu was installed in that very short period when BMW had the "special" going on the new ecu. The cost to me was $250. It went in w/o also installing asc. In Greg's case, the dealer/BMW wouldn't install the new ecu w/o also installing asc. Go figure.

And yes, installing 8.1 might not have been compatible with the old ecu and maybe caused more problems in my bike.

In both cases, the new ecu was installed before 9.0, 9.1 and 9.2 were a twinkle in the eye of the BMW engineers.

And, your point is well taken - hey, try 9.2 in the old ecu if you're having H.I. or BBS issues - that may take care of these problems w/o any expense to the owner.

This leaves us with the rumored "new airbox" available next month - it sure has been/is a complicated set of circumstances.

Miles
Old 08-09-2007, 07:36 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Quote:
Rusty,
You've got me there - once again I didn't do the math! <g> The point of the comment was that in-so-far as I can tell watching new owners reporting in that have purchased GTs since about April presumably with the new ecu, there doesn't seem to be any with problems. Maybe I should have just said it this way.
Miles

I have read of at least three cases of HI/BBS with MK2 GT's with the NEW ECU!
Sorry to burst you bubble!

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
93 K1100RS
06 K1200GT
Old 08-09-2007, 07:54 PM
Beemer or Bimmer

I purchased mine new in June but it has the BMS-K. (Build date Nov06) It has over 2400 miles with none of the BBS or HI symtoms. It was the only one the dealer in Omaha could locate from BMW that had the Xenon option in May. It was shipped from NJ in a crate. Hopefully I don't experience these problems others did or have.

Michael
Old 08-09-2007, 08:44 PM
Getting up to speed

Michael,

bought mine in April07 was built in Dec.06 (old ecu).had the high idle issue just after I got it.dealer in Atlanta taped the airbox.The bike has now 6k miles on it and is perfect.Don't worry!!!!!Enjoy!!!!

Hans
Old 08-09-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcooper
I have read of at least three cases of HI/BBS with MK2 GT's with the NEW ECU!
Sorry to burst you bubble!

93 K1100RS
06 K1200GT

Not on this forum, Norris - the posts would have been deleted!! <big grin>

Miles
Old 08-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Quote:
Not on this forum, Norris - the posts would have been deleted!! <big grin>

Miles

That is why I use several forums.

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=9005 post #35

also

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...8&page=2&pp=10
post #11, 12, 13, 53

93 K1100RS
06 K1200GT
Old 08-10-2007, 05:03 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcooper
That is why I use several forums.

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=9005 post #35

also

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...8&page=2&pp=10
post #11, 12, 13, 53

93 K1100RS
06 K1200GT

And http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=9211.

I think Miles was kidding. <g>
Old 08-11-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howfly
And http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=9211.

I think Miles was kidding. <g>

Guy - Norris,

Yeah, sitting here kicking myself for opening (re-opening) "Pandora's Box"! Or should that be "Pandora's Airbox"!!

Towjam, who rides a twin - in fact the same one we have, managed to read the whole H.I. thread.

Figured a post back to him showing the similarites between Greg's experience and mine might clarify the sequence of events as it evolved for the two of us.

Then for 15 more posts we seem to re-invent the whole thread all over again. (and, yeah you could lay that one right at my door-step!! <g>)

Was a rehash worth it at this stage? I just got a little dizzy going back and forth (and, yeah I lay that right at BMW's doorstep!! <g>).

No more jokes, though - promise <g>

And yes, I agree with you Norris, the day isn't here yet, when we can "officially" declare all the problems solved for everyone with a GT.

Can't wait for week 38 though! (ooops, did I slip again? <g>)

Miles
Old 08-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Getting up to speed

There really doesn't appear to be any pattern to THIS problem that can be related to the ecu or production dates. It appears that the warping air box is really the problem. Maybe, the amount of idling in hot weather or just hot weather riding dictates when the problem arises.

My bike: Manufactured 8/06 (as an '07 model), Old ecu, 4000miles, No updates.....
No problems whatsoever, runs great. If anything, I might expect the airbox
problem at some later date because of the warping.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Lost in the Dark

Not being well informed on the issue, I won't speculate as to the cause of the problem. I bought a 2007 GT with the new style ecu. I Have had 1 issue with 3000 rpm idle which was preceeded by a delayed throttle response when closing the throttle rapidly while the bike wasn't moving. It was very hot that day and ran the bike for about 14 hours, no idling in traffic, just a constant 85-90 mph. I had another occurance of delayed throttle just after starting the bike, this happened after 6 hours 85-90 mph on the Interstate, then taking a short break on a ranch road. I shut the bike down pulled the key and restarted, this time it never turned into the high idle. 6200 miles of riding.

It would appear in my limited experience that the problem occurs when it's extremely hot.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'helodoc' for this post:
Old 08-16-2007, 10:44 AM
Entering the on-ramp

"unrideable" is what Cross Country said. They have installed new airbox 2 weeks ago, and upon driving home ... the rpm's were all over the place. Now it sits awaiting 2008 parts due to BMW's vacation in mid-August. Loaner? Forget it. BMWNA--no policy on loaners. It's up to specific dealers. Maybe next year I'll get word from the:master techies" in NJ that I can enjoy riding again. Certainly not now that I'm on vacation for the next 2 weeks. Anyone know of a good B & B?
Old 08-16-2007, 11:58 PM
Site Contributor

As I mentioned way back in this thread, I've had one high idle issue with my K12 after a long hot ride on I-70 east of Denver. Thanks to Miles, Greg and a few others, my dealership has not installed any software update since 6. something. Yesterday, I left St. Louis and rode 505 miles to Hays, KS. The highest temp I saw was in Junction City where it was 109 on my bike's thermometer. I ran the bike at speeds up to 85 mph and I'm happy to say I've had no problems. Thanks, everyone. Without this thread, I would have had the software updated and, probably, had the problems some of you have experienced.

Mike
Old 08-17-2007, 06:52 AM
The Inspector

Send a message via AIM to ClearwaterBMW Send a message via Skype™ to ClearwaterBMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec
As I mentioned way back in this thread, I've had one high idle issue with my K12 after a long hot ride on I-70 east of Denver. Thanks to Miles, Greg and a few others, my dealership has not installed any software update since 6. something. Yesterday, I left St. Louis and rode 505 miles to Hays, KS. The highest temp I saw was in Junction City where it was 109 on my bike's thermometer. I ran the bike at speeds up to 85 mph and I'm happy to say I've had no problems. Thanks, everyone. Without this thread, I would have had the software updated and, probably, had the problems some of you have experienced.

Mike

thanks for the comments...
we've all learned things over the years around here
we all await the "FINAL FIX"
i hope that it will come soon after the BMW folks return to work after their summer vacation

2007 K1200GT
2011 R1200GS Adventure (now a SIDECAR RIG by DMC)

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
Old 08-17-2007, 02:22 PM

Mike,

Earlier in this thread, both Greg and I commented that loading 8.1 (and up) on the old ecu caused the H.I. and BBS in our GTs. That the previous 7.1 ran our GTs reasonably well.

You went to school on that information and it's worked out well for you.

Since then, so much has swirled around on possible cause and effect to the various fueling and throttle issues that we couldn't be as certain of this as we were at one point, early on.

Where this is going is Greg alluding to the "final fix". Having said, don't download software past 7.1 in the old ecu; this may not apply (now) to the "kit" that might be coming which includes a completely redesigned airbox that must be accompanied by a software update - either 9.2 or 10.

Depending on how this is handled by BMW - recall, warranty, or other, you might want to consider going with this "final fix". It's supposed to be available sometime in Sept.

If your bike is running to your satisfaction, you might want to wait and get the results of the new airbox install on the website - or wait until we start getting reports on the '08 GTs performance.

Some on the board have old airboxes with the temporary fix of using duct tape; those folks might consider taking advantage of the new airbox as soon as its available.

Miles
Old 08-17-2007, 02:43 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to larrykay

Well, my BBS and HI have returned. Just after I bought my bike ( early 06), I experienced only BBS last summer. My dealer forced 7.1 into my bike and all was well until this summer. On several hot days and after riding for more than an hour, a short stop for a cool drink, I started up again and both BBS and HI reared its head. I blipped the trottle a few times and drove another hour home. When I got off the highway and drove at normal city speeds, it came on with a vengeance. I drove the last 2 miles home without my hand on the throttle and getting "bucked" every few seconds!!

I am going to make a loud complaint to my dealer with a letter that this is very unsafe. If BMW does not come up with a solution, I feel a lawsuit( maybe class action!) may be a way to get some financial relief or something!

Outside of this, this is the best bike!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'larrykay' for this post:
Old 08-17-2007, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
I am going to make a loud complaint to my dealer with a letter that this is very unsafe. If BMW does not come up with a solution, I feel a lawsuit( maybe class action!) may be a way to get some financial relief or something!

Outside of this, this is the best bike!

Larry,

Being on the board this morning and seeing your post come up, I can really empathize with you on this situation having gone thru it myself.

A letter sounds like the best approach with a copy sent to BMW - NA as well. Contact BMW - NA by phone as well - that's what I would suggest.

Lawsuits I would not contemplate. Hey, these guys probably get these on a daily basis, they're used to it and, my guess, they are adept at scooping them up and handling them very well from their point-of-view. Short of an accident caused by BBS, it doesn't seem a viable alternative, imo.

Also, N.Y. has a very well defined lemon-law procedure which you can initiate on your own w/o the expense of lawyer. Your dealer is probably very well acquainted with the affect of your State's lemon law procedures.

If your bike is bucking with a "vengence", then it's probably not rideable and needs to be flatbedded to your dealership.

Maybe your BMW can get the new airbox priority shipped to your dealer. Short of that, have them install the first part of this - 9.2 and see if it eliminates the problem. Then have the new airbox installed when it arrives.

I'm suggesting this route to you since you have indicated the bike without this issue is "a great bike".

Good luck and keep us in the loop on what happens.

Miles
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Miles_Miller' for this post:
Old 08-18-2007, 10:02 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Mike,

You went to school on that information and it's worked out well for you.

Miles

Hey, Miles,

You bet I went to school on the experiences of you, Greg and others in this thread. I've been riding Harleys forever and know almost nothing about BMWs. This forum have been an invaluable tool for me. Heck, I work on Harleys all the time but I don't want touch the K12. This thing is a techno-beast. I still maintain, however, it's the finest bike I've owned.

Thanks, again, to all,

Mike
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'mikec' for this post:
Old 08-19-2007, 11:22 PM
Site Contributor

Thumbs down Re: 2007 K1200GT idles at 3,000 after 9.1 install and no new airbox

Time to look for that tried and tested K75 K100 or R model.

No ECU faults Just good Riding

Trade it in for a Goldwing..

This Has been one of the longest and very sad posts on a fine machine gone mad. BMW should replace everyone of these bikes with a bike of the owners choice as the cost that they have outlayed is significant.
Shame on this company.. They have to act or they face ridicule.. as I have read in the post of many.

My two cents anyway.
Return toTrenton rally next year .
Lost children will be sold to MOA staff and trained to ride Harley's
Old 08-22-2007, 11:06 PM
Entering the on-ramp

thanks, it has been a while since I logged on. Still loving my 05 RT and my new 06 GT, but must admit that the RT seems more comfortable for the long trips. Just did 5000 miles in 10 days running from Northern California up through lots of Oregon and Washington, on to Sturgis for one night and then just under 1000 miles back to Chicago on last long day. That was on the RT. I rode with 5 other guys, 2 GT's, an RS boxer and a new K1200s and an ST3 Ducati. Great fun but days on all the twisties were just little too long.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Getting up to speed

Well??? What's with the mystery box????
Old 09-13-2007, 11:50 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Question Re: 2007 K1200GT idles at 3,000 after 9.1 install and no new airbox

I wonder how your GT is now doing. Mine is in Sarasota at my winter home so I won't know if it's really fixed until January when I get back there from Chicago. I have friends here in Chicago with same idle problem on new GT's and new air box didn't solve it. I had same problem and Ft. Myers BMW did some computer tweek on it and it was fine for the remaining few weeks I was down there but I may have not gotten the bike hot enough to really test it.

What is the current word out there on a proper fix for this rather all too common problem....?
Old 09-13-2007, 01:26 PM

There seems to be three airboxes, if the internet chatter is correct about this.

The original one

A mod done to the original one that came out after the 1st of the year (which most owners who get a change refer to as the "new" airbox.

And a completely redesigned one (ostensibly from a new "supplier) that has yet to be released, but is now going into the new '08 bikes that are now in production.

Supposedly these will be available as a refit - under certain circumstances on a warranty basis - at the end of the month.

Since no one has an '08 yet; and, none have been refitted, there's no word on the results of what seems to be felt is the real "fix" for the h.i. issue.

Stay tuned!

Miles
Old 02-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Getting up to speed

Looking forward to Spring, and the chance to "take my turn" in the Great Airbox experiment.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:51 PM

Wow, Charlie, it's been a half-year since the last post (and it was one of mine!) was added to the very famous Greg - ClearwaterBMW thread. He and I went thru our baptism of h.i./bbs at the very same time with the very same Mark 1 '07 GT's.

And, I really miss the comraderie of Greg on our website. His thread lives on, though - a legend in it's own (or any other) time!

Your post was #447!

Good luck on the "box-of-air" exchange this spring!!

Just on the GT yesterday over 130 miles with wife Betsy on the back - bike is running smooth as silk and couldn't be happier!

Miles
Old 10-28-2016, 10:16 PM
Founder, I-BMW & Huge HD Fan
Thanked 1,583 Times in 856 Posts

Send a message via MSN to vics Send a message via Yahoo to vics Send a message via Skype™ to vics

yep :0
Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!
Old 11-06-2016, 01:43 PM
Entering the on-ramp

i have an '08 GT which I bought earlier this year. my girlfriend and i use it to tour all over california. As far as i know its completely stock. while we enjoy the classic inline4 top end rush, the bike often times surges, and stalls at stop and go speeds. this bike sucks at low speed stuff.

if I completely close the throttle coming into a corner then roll it on a bit early on the exit, often the bike surges. My solution has been to not shut the throttle....

I keep thinking maybe use the GS911 tool, and work on the fueling map? maybe use a power commander and different exhaust?

i haven't the slightest idea, but think this winter I'm going to give it a shot
Old 08-16-2018, 06:31 PM
Getting up to speed

I have a 2007 k1200gt and was wondering if anyone had a solution to the high idle problem.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:36 PM
Getting up to speed

i have replaced the air box, idle control valve,secondary idle control valve, throttle position sensor and bike runs as it did before.