I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Chit-Chat A GENERAL, BMW bike (or other) forum for off topic discussions that may not fit elsewhere

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 04-04-2009, 05:33 PM
Site Contributor
Thanked 1,378 Times in 858 Posts

Question Small kids and reckless driver in neighborhood.

There is a high school student that visits a friend in our neighborhood.

He likes to hod rod through the neighborhood.

Which would be fine except for the many young children around.

Any suggestions on how to persuade him or his family to stop this crap?

Speed limit is 25 mph. Triple that is not uncommon.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Shooting the gap

Re: Small kids and reckless driver in neighborhood.

Call the police and explain the situation. They will set up a sting in the neighborhood and hopefully catch him in the act. We had a similar situation in my town and they caught the guy in the act cited him for reckless driving among other things.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Site Contributor

Contacted the police/sheriff. They offered to set up one of those radar speed displays (the ones on a small trailer). I think that will only encourage this kid.

Last time they sent someone up, he hung around for about 30 minutes and left.

The reckless driver only shows up occasionally so a sting would not be practical.

I asked the police to stop by the driver's home and register a complaint but not possible. They have to see the problem in person.

Thanks for the reply though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMaRider
Call the police and explain the situation. They will set up a sting in the neighborhood and hopefully catch him in the act. We had a similar situation in my town and they caught the guy in the act cited him for reckless driving among other things.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Site Contributor

TRIPLE 25mph??? 75mph in a residential area???

That's a call to the cops. I wouldn't even think twice. I've got a 1 1/2 year old just starting to play outside and that's just crazy. I'd imagine enough people call AND call enough times, they'll have to do something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW
There is a high school student that visits a friend in our neighborhood.

He likes to hod rod through the neighborhood.

Which would be fine except for the many young children around.

Speed limit is 25 mph. Triple that is not uncommon.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Shooting the gap

I believe if you got all the neighbors together and sent copies to the police chief, town manager or selctman enough pressure would force them to handle the situation properly.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Dolt Commander
Thanked 4,284 Times in 2,161 Posts

If it is one kid, talk to him. If he doesn't listen, go to his parents. If they don't listen, get the cops involved. Or you could disable his car when it is parked at his friends house.

Keyboard Hero!
A product of "unfortunate upbringing...”
Dolt, One of Five!

Find the official "non-official" 2018 Non-Invitational DGR Rally in Maggie Valley here!

Life is good!
Old 04-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I hope police catch him soon in action, and he gets his just deserts.

Human stupidity has no limits, see the vid into this article, the city is Barcelona. This kid not only did what he did, but he uploaded the videos himself to the internet

http://www.lavanguardia.es/premium/p...BORDRE=3&TEXT=

2010 S1000RR SOLD
2010 SMR990 SOLD
2014 SDK1290R
Old 04-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:

Yell at the kids and tell them to stay off the street! Even if you control this one hotrodder you wont get them all. It would be a good lesson for them to take their safety in their own hands. They may have the right to play near the road but they'll be "dead right".

Ride Fast.....Get there before the Accident!
Old 04-04-2009, 08:57 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2008
Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,056 Posts

Kid first, parents second for talks. Gathering a number of neighbors to meet with the parents can put pressure on the delinquent too - before getting the law involved. Immediate action seems necessary though for the safety of the children AND adults!

Been there, done that.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Dolt Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Barto
Yell at the kids and tell them to stay off the street! Even if you control this one hotrodder you wont get them all. It would be a good lesson for them to take their safety in their own hands. They may have the right to play near the road but they'll be "dead right".

Good idea.

I find it funny that nobody is willing to confront the kid who is making the mistake. Do you think he would be happy killing somebody? What would you want to happen to your kid if he was making the same mistake?

When I was a kid, I would take my first car ('75 Gran Fury with 454 cu in) and light up the tires everywhere I went. Forwards and backwards, I would haul ass smokin the tires as much as possible. Until one day this man walked over to me and snatched me up by the short hairs (figuratively). He showed me the way.

But what I see here is that we as a generation do not have the balls to set kids straight. We would rather have the police take care of our dirty work. Fucking stand up, reach down and find the pair.

Just my two cents.

Keyboard Hero!
Dolt, One of Five!

Find the official "non-official" 2018 Non-Invitational DGR Rally in Maggie Valley here!

Life is good!
Old 04-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Dolt Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy1
Kid first, parents second for talks. Gathering a number of neighbors to meet with the parents can put pressure on the delinquent too - before getting the law involved. Immediate action seems necessary though for the safety of the children AND adults!

Been there, done that.

Once again I think you are hot.............errr.......I mean I think you have a wonderful way of dealing with things!

Talk to the kid. He may be short sighted. We have all made our mistakes. Thank god somebody helped us before they became too serious!

Keyboard Hero!
Dolt, One of Five!

Life is good!
Old 04-04-2009, 09:19 PM

Joe, I look at the teens, having two in the house, and it is clear that they often don't consider the consequences of their behavior. It comes with the territory at that age and hopefully ends as they mature... (Some of us take a looooooooooooooooong time to mature... )

Would I want someone to call the cops on my child? No.. HELL no! Taking the time to deal with the situation may offer a child something other than a juvenile record at the courthouse.

How many of YOU reading this post engaged in reckless behavior as a kid? Was the law immediately called if you were caught, or were your neighbors, relatives, and parents set with the task of disciplining you?
Old 04-04-2009, 09:30 PM
(Moderator) My Life is a Blur

Send a message via Skype™ to Karlb

talk to the kid, if that doesnt work have the cops bring the trailer out with the speed display, set up and video tape the kid yourself with the speed display in view, go to his parents and show it to them, bet that solves the problem , would slow my daughter down to walking speed for awhile

I agree with Pat here our kids today have it hard enough, behavior that used to get our butts beat ends them up in juvenile hall far too often
Old 04-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Dolt Commander

I guess my voice is from one of the guilty people. I learned many lessons growing up. As adults we should feel obliged to carry on those lessons. I know I do in my neighborhood. Although some of my neighbors think I am out of control, their kids know better than to act up on my street.

Keyboard Hero!
Dolt, One of Five!

Life is good!
Old 04-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlb
talk to the kid, if that doesnt work have the cops bring the trailer out with the speed display, set up and video tape the kid yourself with the speed display in view, go to his parents and show it to them, bet that solves the problem , would slow my daughter down to walking speed for awhile

I agree with Pat here our kids today have it hard enough, behavior that used to get our butts beat ends them up in juvenile hall far too often
I like that idea. I believe the police would scare a teenager straight but that idea would Definetly do the trick.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Dolt Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMaRider
I like that idea. I believe the police would scare a teenager straight bit that idea would Definetly do the trick.

In my day the cops would bring me to my parents. Now they get the court system involved. Few children learn the appropriate lessons from the juvenile justice system.

Keyboard Hero!
Dolt, One of Five!

Life is good!
Old 04-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Shooting the gap

In my town I don't think formal charges would be brought against a kid. I guess being the age I am it wasn't to long ago I was getting my license and I just wish kids would be more responsible. There are more cars and motorcycles on the road and kids playing in the street is another hazard. 75 in a 25 is SERIOUS.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Site Contributor

I'd confront him as an adult and have a conversation with him. Try and give him a little respect (be his friend). As hard as this might be treating him like an adult, which is probably what he thinks his is, might be what works. Tell him about your concerns and that "cool" people go to the industrial district to go fast. Tell him about your bike, try and make a connection with him. then tell him that if he wants to race sometime then bring it on. I don't think threats are going to anywhere with him though since he obviously has no reguard for the law. Sneaking around won't get you anywhere he's a teenager remember. Reverse psychology on the little shit. Then if that doesn't work. Tape him and give it to his friends parents where he's going. My 2Cents. I doubt the cops will help. It wasn't long ago i did the same thing.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Shooting the gap

I definitely did my fair share of reckless thinks as a kid. I guess I might just be too much of a hot head to deal with him. I'm not very good at the whole calm and reasoning thing, if I saw a kid speeding up my street like that I would'nt be able to keep my calm.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Site Contributor

I don't have kids so maybe that's why it's easy to say this and not what everyone else suggests: Asssssssss Whoopppinn. While no one else is around, of course.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Shooting the gap

Take a strip of thin plywood severel feet long and a couple of inches wide. Implant many nails in it and attach a length of monofilament line. Put it on the opposite side of the street, hidden in weeds or by a fence, whatever. Next time he comes by pull it into his path. Best place to put it is at the exit of a turn if there is one nearby.

If you want to be civilized, just show it to him and let him know it is waiting if he doesn't change his ways.

Otherwise I would confront the lilttle shit with photos of him, his house and car. Maybe confront his parents and the family he visits. Explain to all that you are extremely protective of you family and friends and that if he can't restrain himself there will be consequences.

Alternatively a can of MEK (methyl ethyl ketone, a prime ingrediant in paint remover) poured over his car might help clear his mind. Sling shots with large ball bearings are good too. If you want to avoid real damage a handfull of heavy grease all over his windows would give him a time out to think about his evil ways.

Have fun.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:15 PM
El Moderador

Send a message via Skype™ to HDF

Quote:

How many of YOU reading this post engaged in reckless behavior as a kid? Was the law immediately called if you were caught, or were your neighbors, relatives, and parents set with the task of disciplining you?

OK Pat, who in my family have you been talking to?

BMW, I agree that a first conversation, calm and collect, with the kid might help. I know that one of my neighbours back when I was a teen and enjoying the umph of my Golf GTI (VW Rabbit back then) did just that. It certainly made me more conscious (although admittedly only for a brief while - and I had to be reminder on a couple of more occassions).

As a final thought, you may want to videotape the kid doing his thing and if all else fails, use the evidence with the cops. They have to see it, well show it to them. But I would try the other approaches suggested first - no, not the ass whoopin and nail studded 2 x 4 (although the ass whoopin might be held in reserve ).

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?

See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!
Old 04-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Site Contributor

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I have spoken with the neighborhood friend's mother and she has spoken to the offender's family.

Next step is to talk to the offender and his family directly.

After that I will try to keep a video camera handy to record the behavior. I may even paint lines across the street as reference points for determining speed.

I spoke with the police and they will come and review a video recording of the offender. It is then at their discretion as to whether they should do anything.

If these fail to produce results the final step is to send a letter to the boy's family indicating that if a child is hurt by flying gravel or struck and injured, by the vehicle, the neighborhood is united is pursuing full criminal prosecution and monetary damages. This could be taken further by sending a copy to his friend's family in the neighborhood and suggesting that they might be liable for "contributing to a hazard" by allowing the offender to visit.

Physically attacking the kid or his car would most likely land me in jail or in civil court.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Shooting the gap

That sounds like a good plan. I know I would'nt be able to confront him without losing my cool and there is no way I would allow a little punk to land me in jail.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Getting up to speed

How about installing speed bumps? I suppose he will by a dirt bike then!
Old 04-05-2009, 06:25 PM
i-bmw.com charter member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjoe
In my day the cops would bring me to my parents. Now they get the court system involved. Few children learn the appropriate lessons from the juvenile justice system.
Ditto, where are the parents? Used to be mom was at home and the car was a privelege. People today are often hesitant to look their kid in the eye and make em straighten up. Young drivers can be the safest out there but some begin driving with bad habits then digress from there.. I was a horrible demon on wheels but someone like justjoe did straighten me out when I was a teenager.. And I look back and thank the guy for scaring the responsibility back.. to some extent. Then I test rode an RS.

I digress.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Ready Let's Go

I can send you a set of spike strips that should take care of the problem. All kidding aside you can advise the Police that you wish to be the affiant on the summons since you witnessed the violation. Now this is easy for certain violations, but speeding is tricky unless it's so excessive you can easily see by reviewing a video tape that the kid is speeding. Mark out a known distance on the street, then with the video camera tape him covering the known distance, then a little math gives you his speed. Can you get the DOT in your area to install speed bumps? Good luck
Iron Butt Association Member#49820
MOA Member #106320
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
2003 R1150RT Silver (sold)
Old 04-05-2009, 07:02 PM
i-bmw.com charter member

Here is a forum where some experienced occifers may be able to provide suggestions. http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho....php?p=1713453
Old 04-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Joe, I look at the teens, having two in the house, and it is clear that they often don't consider the consequences of their behavior. It comes with the territory at that age and hopefully ends as they mature... (Some of us take a looooooooooooooooong time to mature... )

Would I want someone to call the cops on my child? No.. HELL no! Taking the time to deal with the situation may offer a child something other than a juvenile record at the courthouse.

75 in a 25 with kids around is dangerous and reckless regardless of age. No excuses. If I found my kid doing that, he wouldn't drive until he had kids. If that took cops being involved so be it.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Twisted Wrister

First thought that came to mind was getting a hold of his insurance agent, bet they would want to know how their policyholder is operating the insured vehicle. Not sure how to accomplish that. Might bait the parents just by asking who pays his insurance. Sorry but police write reports....

Second thought is the neighbor he is visiting should take care of it or fobid the little MFer from coming to his home.

Had a kid down the street drag racing I mean lined up in the subdivision. Talked to his father never saw the kid drive again.

Side cutters on the valve stems are irriatating.....and pretty quick make sure you have a big enough pair try it out on a sacrifical stem and try not to cut an angle that whistles. Makes you want to run before you cut all four.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:21 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

Send a message via Skype™ to chilei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurpster
A paper bag with a cinder block... no kid can help but run over a paper bag, they will slow down in the future.

Okay so that is not what most would say to do but if you want to go to the extreme...
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
Old 04-05-2009, 09:37 PM
.......and?

I don't know about Kyle's cinder block, ouch!

I have the same problem in my area. I'm lucky enough to be able to hear the cars behind my house first before they turn onto the main drag in front. I solved many a problem by standing out of view, and when the time is right, roll a soccer ball out in front of the car. Scares the shit out of the driver and if it gets hit won't hurt anything. The few drivers who stopped got a ear full from me about the possibility of a kid chasing after the ball. It really wakes them up. I'm only 28 but, with two kids, I have a very different point of view.

Keep in mind most of these types of drivers don't fully realize the danger of what they are doing. A wake up call can go a long way.

2006 K1200R

'Who i$ John Galt?'

"The highest function of love is that it makes the loved one a unique and irreplaceable being." — Tom Robbins
Old 04-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Shooting the gap

go to the local bowling alley and buy a beat up old rental ball (usually a 5 dollar venture)....roll it under the car as he passes....it should cause enough damage to cost a bit and may remind him in the future to slow down.

F
Old 04-05-2009, 09:59 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,832 Times in 1,107 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy

Geez, you vigilantes scare the shit out of me..ever wonder what would happen if you tossed the ball out in the line of traffic and caused the driver to veer off the road and cause bodily harm to himself or others..regardless of his speeding or not, you would be the one serving time..and worst, cause the death of another human.

I don't condone their action, nor your ridiculous solutions!

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
Old 04-05-2009, 10:06 PM
i-bmw.com charter member

1. Paint fake potholes in front of your home ala Roadrunner.
2. When he stops, pull a Wylie E. Coyote manuever.
3. Offer some acme horsepower additive... he will not realize it was sugar for several minutes.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:10 PM
.......and?

Good luck proving that the ball was rolled on purpose . If someone was doing twice the speed limit in a residential neighborhood and a kid ran in front of his car, causing him to wreck, do you think the kid would feel guilty? To me it's no different then the DUI wreck law. If you are over the legal limit and I rear end you, guess who's going to jail?

Short of bashing 'vigilante' justice, offer a better solution not already mentioned? I'm open to suggestions.

2006 K1200R

'Who i$ John Galt?'

"The highest function of love is that it makes the loved one a unique and irreplaceable being." — Tom Robbins
Old 04-05-2009, 10:13 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,832 Times in 1,107 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaMack

Short of bashing 'vigilante' justice, offer a better solution not already mentioned? I'm open to suggestions.

Speedbumps

I wasn't bashing, I was telling you what you may expect taking the law into your own hands..but no worries, they have the internet in prison. You could still chat with us from the inside

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
Old 04-05-2009, 10:32 PM

Using violence on an underage boy to stop overly aggressive speeds in a neighborhood seems foolhardy. As an adult, the legal consequences of causing physical abuse to a child could get ugly quite quickly. In addition, I must admit that if an adult took that approach to one of my children, .....the response would not be pretty.

Lar, you did not actually state how fast you believe the kid drives, but said that 3x the speed limit is not uncommon. Do you REALLY mean 75 mph?

Some creative suggestions in this thread. Loved the idea of the soccer ball thrown out - how about a fake body too? Pete Tallahassee has a blow up doll you might borrow.

Good luck with your mission Lar.

I cornered a kid in my neighborhood recently for speeding around the blind corners. (almost lost my daughter to a teen boy's reckless speed years ago) Kid zipped by me, I did a U turn, followed him up his driveway and gave him a few choice words. His rationalizations were met with a loud "BULLSHIT" (oops)... after which he was informed that his speed in our neighborhood WOULD be within legal limits. Haven't seen him speed since.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:32 AM
Ready Let's Go

I don't think anyone here is really suggesting kicking this kids ass, or placing some obstacle in his way which would cause him to loose control. Most of these light hearted suggestions are made out of fustration. I would video tape this kid crossing known distances for court purposes if necessary, but after that the first step is show it to his parents. If the parents are no help next step is the Police. Good luck, and no matter how high the frustration level keep calm and focused.
Iron Butt Association Member#49820
MOA Member #106320
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
2003 R1150RT Silver (sold)
Old 04-06-2009, 10:09 AM
.......and?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy
but no worries, they have the internet in prison.

Better health care then my company offers too.

On second thought, maybe a cinder block or bowling ball would have been a better choice.

2006 K1200R

'Who i$ John Galt?'

Old 04-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy

I don't condone their action, nor your ridiculous solutions!

Ridiculous? Ive used the bowling ball on 3 occasions....all damaging the car and no loss of control as the ball just bounces around....
Never had another one speed thru the neighborhood.

YMMV

F
Old 04-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Moderator; ON-ON

Send a message via Skype™ to chilei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
Ridiculous? Ive used the bowling ball on 3 occasions....all damaging the car and no loss of control as the ball just bounces around....
Never had another one speed thru the neighborhood.

YMMV

F
The damage comes when you try to become President and try using that ball in your game ... not to mention what it does to the lane!
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
Old 04-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurpster

The neighborhood has discussed that several times.

Several issues:

Police decrease their patrols of roads with speed bumps as they dislike having to slow down.

Entire neighborhood would have to be in agreement. That's not going to happen until someone gets killed or seriously injured. Besides some of the neighborhood adults do double the limit now.

Speeding may continue between the bumps.

Still, a good idea.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Dolt Commander

It will be interesting to see his actions after your conversation with the neighbor. Keep us posted.

Keyboard Hero!
Dolt, One of Five!

Life is good!
Old 04-06-2009, 08:55 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsquad
I don't think anyone here is really suggesting kicking this kids ass, or placing some obstacle in his way which would cause him to loose control. Most of these light hearted suggestions are made out of fustration. I would video tape this kid crossing known distances for court purposes if necessary, but after that the first step is show it to his parents. If the parents are no help next step is the Police. Good luck, and no matter how high the frustration level keep calm and focused.

Didn't think of showing a video to the parents. Good idea!
Old 04-06-2009, 09:01 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Lar, you did not actually state how fast you believe the kid drives, but said that 3x the speed limit is not uncommon. Do you REALLY mean 75 mph?

It's a fairly long and straight section of road with good pavement. Most are doing at least 35 when they crest the hill at one end of the road before they reach the straight section. BTW, it's a blind crest. And several families with kids live just beyond the crest. If ever there was an accident waiting to happen!
Old 05-18-2018, 04:39 PM
Site Contributor

Well, we were able to get the kid under control by speaking to the parents about the consequences of hitting a kid and neighbors testifying as to the chronic speeding behavior of their son.

And that there would be both criminal and civil charges.

$$$$

Now another neighbor got an adult to stop speeding by talking to his place of employment, a local hospital.

Speeding stopped immediately and the adult how takes another route to work.