I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S/R" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S/R" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 12-27-2017, 06:31 PM
Getting up to speed

Pc fuel controller, left over piece.

Hello, I'm in the process of installing a power commander fuel controller. Making the connection to the throttle valve was just by feel. It was very difficult not having removed the throttle bodies, which was a step I wanted to avoid. But putting it all back together, I found that the software was not displaying the throttle %. Looking around what could be seen where the connection to the tps was, I found a small plastic bit. Searching the net I did find that it was what is referred to as Securing Element 12527688500. Does anyone know what this does? The diagrams at Max just show the piece.
Thanks
Old 12-27-2017, 10:28 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,541 Times in 1,180 Posts

Re: Pc fuel controller, left over piece.

You're in the K bike section but the part is used on R bikes. Looks like a little wire clip. As you say, hard to tell. Sometimes the short way is really the long way.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:46 AM
Getting up to speed

Thanks Beech for the Zen like reminder. I'm no great mechanic but can follow linear instructions. It was recommended in the instructions to try to do the least disruption if possible and specifically as little tear down of the throttle bodies. I said that's ok with me! But I have started to take it all apart again. There is no way to test this without putting it all back together! Muttering under my breath.
I forgot to mention that this is a 2009 K1300R. The TPS is stuffed between the frame and the throttle bodies. I can barely get two fingers in there and can see nothing of what they are up to. That is where I think that little plastic piece came from, 'Securing Element'. I can't find where it goes on BMWs DVD repair manual, only on massive lists of parts. My uninformed guess is it ensures the connection to the TPS. Why a backup to the BMW connectors, I'll find out. I just thought others who have installed a Power Commander product might have come across this bit.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:05 PM

Yes, does sound like a pain in the butt install. Please let us know the out come and where that little piece goes.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:32 PM
Getting up to speed

OK, that little bit, 'Securing Element', has been revealed! For some reason BMW wanted redundancy in securing the OEM connector to the TPS. After the connector is snapped into place this goes under the wire spring holder. This prevents the wire spring from being depressed and the connector from coming apart. The Power Commander connector will not accept this little bit. I'm not sure if this will cause a problem, doesn't seem like it would.

The combination of not knowing that bit was there and the fact I couldn't see the connector clearly, I may have damaged the female portion of the connection. I'm not getting the right electrical signal for the Power Commander Fuel Controller. I'll deal with that tomorrow. I'm learning far more about this bike than I was prepared for! To carry on the Zen-expectations can set one up for disappointment.

Here are two photos, one of the Securing Element. The other is with it in place, but not connected, on the OEM connector.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2240.JPG (372.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2236.JPG (423.3 KB, 32 views)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Scarecrow' for this post:
Old 12-29-2017, 02:57 AM
Speed Demon

All part of my decision not fit a PC on my K despite fitting such to two other bikes and went Rexxer map instead.

While struggling with a similar decision for my 1000XR had a conversation with the Dynojet rep recently its amazing how PCís and how they work have changed over the years.
R1100s
XT660SM
Old 12-29-2017, 09:52 AM
Getting up to speed

From my starting point of knowing nothing about these gizmos, seems they all work in a similar way. It's intercepting a signal and allowing different degrees of alteration. I do find it interesting the extent to which one can get involved with things I never thought about. There is the air fuel ratio, gear cylinder mapping, ignition control per cylinder, accel pump, how to stop your auspuff from popping ...........on it goes. Those monitors shown on YouTube flickering with all this information is intriguing. One could feel like a power commander!

But I had to ask myself how involved do I wanted to be? Very interesting and nuanced tweeting is offered. The engineering on these bikes is quite sophisticated. I have to assume they have done what they can within their restrictions. As engaging as all this tweaking could be, in the end I didn't think I would take advantage of it. So what could offer me an improvement. The bike has the BMW Akrapovic slip on, no remapping required. The built in restrictions the engineers had to work with are the different emission demands depending on country. Seemed like the most direct area to address for improvement. There might be some playing with the accelerator pump. I have to learn more about that. So standing back and looking at the IPI ratio, ( involvement performance improvement ratio ), I've gone with just a fuel controller. Price was not really a factor in my choice. Knowing myself was!

Not up and running yet, I have two complaints about the Power Commander instructions. There is no mention about this 'Securing Element'. With the difficult access to the TPS, damage may have happened to the connector while trying to disconnect it. Then there is a total lack of information about what is shown on the computer screen. This is not intuitive for me. A simple video would be very helpful. Oh, one more general irritant. Power Commander and BMW's manual only work on a PC.

To end on a positive note, I love this bike. It is the most engaging bike I've ridden. It says pay attention to me and I will take you places you won't forget. I have asked myself why anyone would buy a super car? Even cheating a bit with the speed limits, there is nowhere you can run these things to their limits. But now I get it. I think it's about the responsiveness and the need to stay in the moment, not really the top speed. There is also this melding with machine. The ergonomics for my body is one concession made, other than that it's all hands on deck. For me this is a bike I could only appreciate after having gone through a number of other ones. This bike fits my body, riding style and involvement with the machine. It's not about stats on the paper.

Next weeks sermon will be...........
Old 12-29-2017, 11:29 AM
Speed Demon

I posted along time back not all aftermarket exhausts are the same I went Remus and Laser before Akra and there was a huge difference between each.

As for mapping jeez I could be here for ever my best advice when talking such is to wearing wellies because the BS is that deep and I include my current X/R which is a world away from the Stone Age K,but what I would advise on your home work 02/Lambas in or out?

My 1100s and XT660 with old style PCís are IN my K with a Rexxer map are OUT and the people I recently spoken too about my X/R also say OUT.

Best of luck

The good news their is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow when you have it sorted the thought of running any bike with a stock TUV approved map fills me with horror.
R1100s
XT660SM
Old 12-29-2017, 01:16 PM
Getting up to speed

Since the Akrapovic was made for BMW and this bike, I have to think BMW set it up for this. And yes as per instructions, the O2 is disconnected.

The K1300R may be a dinosaur to you and your riding style/expectations. But she fits me in most ways. The 1000 is said to be wonderfully engineered. But I feel like a kid sitting on my first trike. I have to contort myself and would need frequent breaks.

Everything starts out with design parameters. It's like a recipe. Not everyone will be enamoured with the end product. Everything has compromises, just look at steering head geometry, angle, offset, rake and trail. The art of............. if you love bikes, they are all interesting especially when you talk with the owners. Yes it is like preaching to the choir. But it tells you as much about the bike as it does the owner.

Till later
The Dinosaur
Old 12-29-2017, 04:02 PM
Speed Demon

Iíve no idea where you got the idea that Akra made such for the K just a stock can with a connector to match,the latest stuff Akra stuff is but the K is from a bygone era as was the can but it was made the right way.

Interesting seeing your discribtion of the K and a 1000 by comparison what I notice riding my X/R with flybywire is how little throttle one needs compared to a double jointed wrist that is needed to get the same results on the K and mine isnít remotely stock I do adjust between the two normally takes 2/300 miles but the game has moved on by some margin,always found the trick with progress is to accept it makes the past easier to live with and iím no 50 year old kid :

Best of luck with the PC
R1100s
XT660SM
Old 12-29-2017, 05:22 PM
Getting up to speed

As one no 50 year old kid to another no 50 year old kid, I got the idea the Akrapovic was for this 2009 K1300R from the contemporary BMW promotional literature. It was offered as an upgrade. That's why I would think the dealer reflashed if needed or Akrapovic matched the original. Do I give too much credit to BMW?

Progress is great. Much of progress is addressing short comings or the perception of. Like the use of the desmodromic throttle on the 1300s compared to the 1200s. For me if something serves my needs, I'm not going for progress just because it's progress. I would love to ride some of the old classics, those well beyond a not so 50 year old kid. Not to compare how superior my bike is, rather to step into a world where this was the culmination of technology and the associated way you interact with it.

That said, I am trying to 'improve' this bike. It's really sidestepping environmental dictates. I do have a twinge of guilt, an acknowledgment of my awareness. But on I push with this fuel controller. I'm having a real problem getting a reading from the TPS. Four times I've had to break the bike down and put it back just to test. I'm now looking at the connector supplied by Dynojet. It is different from the original. The female connector supplied is about 4mm deeper than the original. I'm wondering if there is a contact issue? I could start cutting and splicing the original into the Dynojet harness and the Dynojet connector into the original wiring. I don't know! *#~£*#: progress! I was hoping someone on this forum would have broken trail for me!
Old 12-30-2017, 09:23 AM
Speed Demon

As it appears we are both on the way to geriatric we must be using a similar hymn sheet

I went on my learning curve with my K in 2011 despite the other two bikes with PC’s I was looking for an easier/better option the BS I had to wade through was amazing and my 30 years of pre net biking stood me in good stead because I went in person and knocked on doors,even to this very second I am wading through knee deep net BS with my X/R reading on the net is one thing phoning explaining who you are and I get contradicting answers and that is a gross understatement

In your situation you either need to talk to the Dynojet importer or a dyno man with a decent reputation because fitting is relatively DIY your problem excepted mapping the bike certainly is not the maps that Dynojet supply are no more than rough guides you will need at least one Dyno run if not more,even with a Rexxer map my K spent many hours on a Dyno hence why it runs so well.

You give BM dealers way too much credit they stick to the official script when it comes mapping and if they didn’t they’d end up in the same hole VW did just a different route.
R1100s
XT660SM
Old 12-31-2017, 05:32 PM
Getting up to speed

A last posting. As I said earlier, I was worried I had damaged the TPS connection due to the 'Securing Element'. Something BMW does not illustrate or mention in the DVD manual. If anyone is going to remove the connector to the TPS, simply using a screw driver placed between the spring clip and the main body and push down on this Securing Element. It will just fall away. Belatedly I found it on the engine casing just below the TPS. I'm not impressed with BMWs electronic manual. On my other beemers I've used the Haynes and Clymer manuals with great success.

I also can not thank Dynojet. I spent over $30 on long distance charges, no 800 number to Canada for customer service. The one positive was noting the firmware of my new fuel controller was out of date. Other than that it seemed to be head scratching and that something was wrong with the TPS. I tore the bike down 5 times and put it back enough to test. As with the BMW manual, I have found Dynojet's instructions and YouTube videos lacking. Maybe it's me. But with much searching of forums and with a final ah ha! from Patrique Hofmann's YouTube video on the PCll, I got it. The fuel controller has a built in throttle % setting function. One simply has the software running, turn on the ignition but don't start, slowly turn the throttle to fully open and return to idle position. A button to push before and one after on the screen. Done, works like a charm! Why was something so simple not the first thing addressed when I called customer service? The built in settings were of no use.

I got this 2009 K1300R just a month ago, lava orange with only 5200 kilometres. It's the cool rainy season here in Victoria. So I will wait for a dry warm day in the forecast to insure and take her out. Despite the troubled path to this point, I think this is the right choice for the level of involvement I'm comfortable with. The map control and modification, the accel pump and the rpm zone control for better mileage if on the highway are enough at this point. I want to ride not fuss about a cell.

A thanks goes out to the greater community of the Internet and forums. I couldn't have done it without all those that have shared. The finding of some answers was luck and much was finding the right words in the right order in the searches. Don't give up, it's there in that next search!

A bumbling mechanic, but persistent!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Scarecrow' for this post:
Old 12-31-2017, 07:57 PM
Site Contributor

Should have watched my video first....

HAHA.... Happy new year
Old 12-31-2017, 10:37 PM
Getting up to speed

Happy new year to you Patrique! I've watched them all but the servo one and more than once. There is a lot of info and if your not ready for it, much passes me by. Thanks again.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:10 AM

Scarecrow, now that you have it running, if you ever need fresh tires and installation I live in north washington, text me. beech
S1000R
I need a Vespa
Old 01-01-2018, 05:13 AM
Speed Demon

I too went through all the videos and posts on here of how too with PCís I found one gent who managed it under 5 hours hence why I went the Rexxer route the only thing I took off was the seat.

If you ever get the bike to the dyno expect something along this comparison.

R1100s
XT660SM
Old 01-01-2018, 06:30 AM
Getting up to speed

Well, I'm happy for you. Just write the check and it's yours. I too could have written a check but chose not to. It said plug and play, OK Im up for it. There is some saying about you learn the most from your mistakes. In this case it wasn't really a mistake but more a challenge to be puzzled out. I learned far more about this bike than I expected. Yea, I was pushed there by unexpected misunderstandings. But now I walk away knowing a little more about what's under this lovely things skin. It's part of this rider machine melding that I appreciate as part of the experience of motorcycle riding. It's a personal choice
You know I have heard that some of those dyno maps are likely to be lost if BMW needed to deal with the BMSK. I haven't looked into this because I chose a different route but got to the same place.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:52 AM
Speed Demon

Donít get me wrong iíve Been into my K more times than iíve Had hot dinners even in the last 3 months iíve Replaced an alternator and the cheap skate fuel fitting to the tank but these threads ainít just about you and me itís the others who also face a decision at some time.
R1100s
XT660SM