I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S/R" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S/R" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-18-2017, 03:07 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Send a message via Skype™ to GrenK1300s
Installation of K1300S HID Lights

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...S+HID+Lig hts
Old 09-18-2017, 03:50 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Re: Installation of K1300S HID Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrenK1300s
Gren, now you are an expert we could catch up in November and you could do it for me
Old 09-18-2017, 04:27 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Sure I can Depends on the bike and lights Also how much cold fluid you are prepared to feed me to keep me hydrated
Old 09-18-2017, 06:24 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Question-you say that two ballasts were smaller and one larger. Since the bulb specifications for all three lamps is the same, why wouldn't you use three of the smaller types? Did you already have the larger, or was it because of the requirement for the additional CAN BUS unit?
Old 09-18-2017, 09:45 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsaitta3
Question-you say that two ballasts were smaller and one larger. Since the bulb specifications for all three lamps is the same, why wouldn't you use three of the smaller types? Did you already have the larger, or was it because of the requirement for the additional CAN BUS unit?

Hi Phil,

I purchased the twin unit on Evil Bay from http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...S+HID+Lig hts Sportbike_super_store. These were the lights listed for my specific model. I then sourced another unit for the bike and this one mentioned a thin ballast but I neglected to note that it was almost square It came with cannabis (oops I mean CANBUS) but didn't make me feel mellow when I tried to install it into the lo-beam opening - it is simply too wide and would not go over the top of the light pod In desperation I decided to move the LHS unit and install this mother instead. All good in the end

Lesson was to purchase the single unit from the same site as it also has the same "smallest" ballast available. It does not have a CANBUS associated with it, however I cannot claim that this unit is helping the commented on "delay" in ignition of the lights or the flickering but the lo-beam does come on within a few milliseconds of the starter button being pushed and when I select Hi-beam they come on immediately with no delay or flickering

If you are going to put the units into a similar three lights machine, then go to the site and purchase them, OR have a look at Pirate's Lair and if you're in the US your shipping will not be prohibitively expensive (Jerry's comments to me about huge charges for international shipping, along with buy more stuff to offset the cost)

Cheers, Grenville
Old 09-19-2017, 07:26 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Thanks Grenville-I'm in the US and will check Pirate"s.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:14 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Looked at Pirates Lair. His HID kits say the ballast is 2 1/2x3 1/2x1/2" dimension. And the installation instructions call for drilling the caps and mounting the ballasts external to the headlight assembly. Found these that I'm considering:
https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.c...Bulb_p_86.html
Smaller and less current draw for the same amount of light?!
Old 09-19-2017, 09:34 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by philsaitta3
Looked at Pirates Lair. His HID kits say the ballast is 2 1/2x3 1/2x1/2" dimension. And the installation instructions call for drilling the caps and mounting the ballasts external to the headlight assembly. Found these that I'm considering:
https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.c...Bulb_p_86.html
Smaller and less current draw for the same amount of light?!

Hi Phil, call him up and ask him. He says his ballasts are the smallest available and mine were quite small He is very approachable and his lights are easy enough to install "inside" the light pod, just fiddly and you need to push the ballast down to one side or the other depending on how easy it is to get your fingers in there I used a flat blade screwdriver, very carefully and pushed it down It works and then you fit the HID bulb in first before connecting up all the wiring, check that the light works and close up I hate ugly wiring coming out of the back of the dust cover, hence my choice to fit it all inside. The advantage of this is the wiring acts as a wadding to the whole unit and so far no rattling and it also makes the installation hidden from prying eyes
Old 01-04-2018, 02:37 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I have the cyclops and I can tell you that they are AMAZING. The installation was super simple, the ballast fit inside the housing without any troubles and the light output is second to none.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:15 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Good to know! Good Spring project.