I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Chit-Chat A GENERAL, BMW bike (or other) forum for off topic discussions that may not fit elsewhere

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 08-17-2018, 08:53 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 7,045 Times in 2,895 Posts

Review - Mission Impossible - Fallout

OK, putting aside my disdain for Tom Cruise (having spent 8 years litigating against Scientology I have no respect for anyone associated with it) I've enjoyed these movies for their special effects, chase scenes, and escapism. It was one of the movies I chose to see at a theater because I thought it would be better on a theater screen and sound system. It might be better for it, I'm not sure. It is a long movie, just shy of 2 1/2 hours.

This one was then in keeping with its predecessors, except that the acting, particularly Cruise, and Henry Cavill (Superman), the interactions between them was stilted, and wooden, and all the less credible for it. So that was, IMO, really poor. As to the action scenes, the "HALO" jump out of a Cargo plane was unimpressive, the motorcycle and car chases were pretty good, with Cruise running around on a R1200R was decent, if hard to swallow, no helmet or eye protection, and the inevitable crash that he walks away from. Of course Cruise and his "IMF" cronies save the world from destruction by a whisker, but what else would you expect, following a helicopter chase scene, crash, brawl, and the like.

So for a bit of escapism is was decent, but I wouldn't run out and see it unless you were planning to anyway.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'CJS350' for this post:
Old 08-17-2018, 11:52 PM
Site Contributor

Re: Review - Mission Impossible - Fallout

I completely agree with your review. I am surprised at the high imdb and unbelievably high rotten tomatoes ratings.

Just to add...
The leading ladies roles were confused and contrived in the end as well.
The plot twists were uninspiring.
The climax was hollywood to a fault. I hate the ending more now in retrospect than in the theater.

The movie was fine... I think Cruise expects extra points for doing his own stunts but really, these days, it doesn't matter to me if it's him, a stunt double or CGI.

I liked Christopher McQuarrie's previous movie Edge of Tomorrow, Jack Reacher was OK, too. This is pretty much on par with those, I think, in story, character development and directing. Special effects were excellent.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:51 AM
Twisted Wrister

Who in there correct mind would go to a theater & waste good Scotch/Beer funds to sit through any of these garbage movies??? ..Oh wait..there seems to be some....

Now, if it were @ a good old "Drive In", that might be a different reason...

As of SEPT-2018,
'85K100RS,Original Owner,DOWN@*200,620*mi
**Parked in the living room, waiting for possible restore**
'03K1200GT, 4th Owner,55,480mi. To replace the '85
**Miles Ridden since owned: 24,910
'96R1100RS,3rd Owner,80,310mi.
**Miles Ridden since owned: 49,510
'07 650 V-STROM, 2nd Owner, 38,125mi.
**Miles Ridden since owned: 10,350
Old 08-18-2018, 05:21 PM
Nice day for somethin'

Thank you for the word, CJS350. I tend to trust opinions from my peeps on I-BMW.com more than anything from those online movie critics. I'll keep waiting for the next flying, Trek, or monster epic to come along.

I believe that MEG is a waste, also.

Seeya
ATB
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Paughco' for this post:
Old 08-18-2018, 07:13 PM
(Moderator) MR. GSA Man!
Thanked 1,882 Times in 1,139 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Flyboy

I go to outsmart when they are going to use the mask gimmick ...I always get it

The helicopter scene was extremely real though

Tuono V4 1100 Factory 2016
04 k1200RS Zebra.Sold
07 R1200GSA
01-SOLD K1171RS
05 R1200GS...SOLD
06 K1200R..SOLD..so long!

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Do it now NON NEONS . Thanks!
Old 08-19-2018, 03:16 PM
Site Contributor
Thanked 1,432 Times in 895 Posts

Here's a recap of Cruise's latest MI stunts including the one where he breaks his ankle.

https://www.mensjournal.com/entertai...-impossible-6/

We're thinking Cruise will eventually die on set filming a stunt....

I concur that the lastest MI, despite the new tricks, was a lesser movie than the previous ones.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:47 AM
Twisted Wrister

It was interesting reading about the bike chase. That had a special camera contraption mounted on the back of a Zero electric bike (no sound or vibrations) ridden by British Superbike (and ex-MotoGP) rider James Elison to stay in front of him.