I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Riding > Riding Styles and Techniques > SPORT TOURING > Riding General Discussion
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 11-15-2018, 04:02 PM
Site Contributor

Re: Losing Skills

Bruce. Cycling in general is great for cardio and strength, but the mtn biking really helps with reaction time, steering coordination, and especially getting use to the tires sliding in the dirt. The latter has helped me not tense up (pucker up) so much when I hit sand or gravel in a corner on my motorcycle. Keep at it and you will get stronger pretty quick. Mtn biking is a blast.

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s

Past BMWs
09 k13s, 06 k12s, 05k12s, 86 k11rs, 74 r90s
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'bobby' for this post:
BMW
Old 11-18-2018, 10:47 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 1,524 Times in 952 Posts

Post Re: Protecting your eyes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW
Yellow lenses are legal at night and also have the advantage of filtering out blue light.

More precisely, orange lenses are best for filtering out blue light, yellow for purple. However, most computer glasses are yellow.

Orange lenses were used to study the effect of filtering out blue light on the depression associated with manic depression disorder.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:05 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,634 Times in 3,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby
Bruce. Cycling in general is great for cardio and strength, but the mtn biking really helps with reaction time, steering coordination, and especially getting use to the tires sliding in the dirt. The latter has helped me not tense up (pucker up) so much when I hit sand or gravel in a corner on my motorcycle. Keep at it and you will get stronger pretty quick. Mtn biking is a blast.
I don't mind sliding probably still have some sort of memory from dirt riding days a long time ago.

I need to get a bike and actually go out and use it.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 11-19-2018, 03:57 PM
Site Contributor

Post Re: Losing Skills

Multitasking...

So when to make time for some of these activities?

Balancing can be practiced every time you put on your shoes and socks.

There are, however, daily time periods that may be used.

Current recommendations are to brush your teeth 3 times a day, for 2 minutes each time.

It's kinda like walking and chewing gum at the same time, but you can do focusing and balance exercises while you're brushing.

Focus on your brushing hand then on several points further and further away.

Keep repeating.

And balance on one leg at a time while you're brushing and focusing.

There you go, 3 for the price of one!

Just don't do it in public!

AND

Another multitasking trick is exercising in place with your eyes closed to improve conditioning and balance at the same time.

Light weight lifting only (for obvious reasons).

Stationary bicycling, elliptical, rowing, etc...

Note that some studies have found that for Parkinson patients, passively riding on the back of a tandem bicycle may be as good a medication for treating symptoms.

WUWT?
Old 11-24-2018, 07:17 PM
Getting up to speed

Send a message via AIM to Rip Send a message via MSN to Rip Send a message via Yahoo to Rip

I would like to add a few comments to this thread. I am very impressed with you guys and your work outs to fight the effects of age. I am 65.5, 2nd knee replacement in June, the first 2 years ago this December. C3 c4 c5 fusion in 11/13 was a big set back. Still going, but not like way back when.
We just have to do what we can when we can to fight father time.
Some of you guys are bad ass with your work out routines.👍👍
I have been slacking a bit so thanks for the shot of motivation. I do the bike at the gym, lift weights, was doing yoga before my surgery and riding my bicycle a few times a week, but not like some of you. I feel whimpy doing 20 miles at 13-15 mph on flat terrain, though it is a social ride. Now, having to start over because of a new knee and 20 lbs. due to a 2 week river cruise in Europe.
Do your gym work, do weights, yoga, cardio, biking, running ruins your knees, swimming, and just keep trying to find the fountain on middle age.
So, my way of fighting old age. Traded my 2004 1200 GT for 2018 1200 RT, premium package so I can have the nice luxuries of life in my retirement years. Loved, just loved my GT, but it got to young for me. I wanted to stretch out, listen to music, great seat, ok, all the luxuries of the 21st century. I needed to stretch out, highway pegs, so I could enjoy long rides. One position all day was not cutting here in North Carolina eastern part of state. Long straight roads until you get to the western part of the state.
Never rode a 1300s or any other sport bike besides my GT and friends 1200RS. The RT doesnt have the speed or power of the GT, but i don't need it anymore. Did 140 on the GT, didn't need anymore speed.
I love retirement, I recommend it for everyone that says my job sucks, don't have your kids living at home after 4 plus years of college, no mortgage, and a view of looking down the road to see whats there and how to get there.
You all have to stay in shape, with whatever you want to do, eat right, drink right🍺, smoke Willies Reserve, and be glad to be alive, the alternative sucks.
So i will end with a few verses from Rod Stewart and Ron Wood.

I wish that what I know now, when I was younger,
I wish that what I know now, when I was stronger.
Ooh la la
Ooh la la la la

Keep up the good work.
The following (4) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Rip' for this post:
Old 11-25-2018, 12:30 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Rip, you said: "I am very impressed with you guys and your work outs to fight the effects of age. "

Don't be too impressed. I am probably one of the ones you are speaking of. But, I didn't really start exercising to fight aging. I started running seriously in my early 20's just to stay in shape for a very competitive soccer league I played in. Kept doing that as I played in various leagues and then started competing in triathlons and other running events, up to and including marathons. Cycling came in there somewhere, too. Competitive age-class swimming, too.

I just happen to enjoy all those activities much more than golf or watching sports in person or on TV. The unintended side benefit is that it probably has worked to keep me much fitter for my age (68) and lets me eat more freely.

However, I have to emphasize again, that you can certainly get fit and regain lost abilities by aerobic walking, moderate weight training, stretching yoga-like, and watching your diet. Those simple activities, coupled with your advice of getting a motorcycle you enjoy and riding it frequently, should do the trick for 85% of us.

Get out there and get after it! AND have fun doing it.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Hunter S. Thompson
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Tyson' for this post:
Old 11-25-2018, 05:49 PM
Getting up to speed

Send a message via AIM to Rip Send a message via MSN to Rip Send a message via Yahoo to Rip

Thanks Hunter, it's been a slower than I like rehab, but coming back. I forget it takes longer to get back to where you were when you lay off for a couple of months. If you avoid the gym or any other exercise, it takes twice or more time to back what you lost. At least we ain't pushing dasies.😁
One thing I found helpful on several day rides. The 5 hour energy drink in the mid afternoon. Never had one of those type of drinks until this spring. Mid afternoon 250 plus miles on for tthe day and bought one when we got gas. Works great and helped alot on that last part of our ride. Don't know about all the other types, but I carry them with me now. Buy now at Costco and save good money.
If anyone has a good energy caffeine drink they like, I would like to know, because they sure help in the late afternoon. I will be putting them to the test soon, when I can play 18 holes again.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:25 PM
Just one of the Gurls
Thanked 2,842 Times in 2,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip
Thanks Hunter, it's been a slower than I like rehab, but coming back. I forget it takes longer to get back to where you were when you lay off for a couple of months. If you avoid the gym or any other exercise, it takes twice or more time to back what you lost. At least we ain't pushing dasies.😁
One thing I found helpful on several day rides. The 5 hour energy drink in the mid afternoon. Never had one of those type of drinks until this spring. Mid afternoon 250 plus miles on for tthe day and bought one when we got gas. Works great and helped alot on that last part of our ride. Don't know about all the other types, but I carry them with me now. Buy now at Costco and save good money.
If anyone has a good energy caffeine drink they like, I would like to know, because they sure help in the late afternoon. I will be putting them to the test soon, when I can play 18 holes again.
Paul, I use those as well. I started because I just wanted to be more alert (without drinking coffee and having to piss all the time and get dehydrated).

Eventually, I realized my arthritis didn’t bother me as much on these rides. Looking into that, I found that the high concentration of B vitamins also helps mitigate pain.

I now take one every time I hop on the bike.

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 11-25-2018, 08:42 PM
Site Contributor

"However, I have to emphasize again, that you can certainly get fit and regain lost abilities by aerobic walking, moderate weight training, stretching yoga-like, and watching your diet. Those simple activities, coupled with your advice of getting a motorcycle you enjoy and riding it frequently, should do the trick for 85% of us."

So true, true. Although I bike, ski, raft, and hike as much as I can, I'll be the first to say that I'm not an athlete. That would involve too much hard work, and I'm lazy by nature. Still, I know that my moderate exercise regimen combined with streching to maintain range of motion has really helped me to lose my riding skills slower than I would have if all I did was sit on the couch. In short I don't think it takes much effort to have a significant affect on skill level. Whatever level of physical exercise one does will help a lot.

Black 2013 k1300s

Past BMWs
Old 11-26-2018, 03:13 AM
Speed Demon

Interesting thread for me the key is weight i’m Under 180lbs i’ve put 6lbs on in 40 years(andI’m not happy with that)I/we do some excercise but we have have always had two retrievers and walk 20 miles on a bad week and as we get close to retirement that will increase considerably.
955 Tiger
R1100s
XT660SM
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'ChrisCannin' for this post:
Old 11-26-2018, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCannin
Interesting thread for me the key is weight i’m Under 180lbs i’ve put 6lbs on in 40 years(andI’m not happy with that)I/we do some excercise but we have have always had two retrievers and walk 20 miles on a bad week and as we get close to retirement that will increase considerably.
Chris:

If you are 180lbs. and 5'3" then you may have a problem!!!

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 11-26-2018, 08:10 AM
Postmeister

Send a message via Yahoo to jimmm

Pro athletes peak in their 20-30's. I am 62 with various health issues. Back, knees, eye sight. Why would I think I was as good as I was? Hell even desire has waned a bit. A lot. Try to balance opiate intake with riding. But I like to think I balance loss of ability with skill and reason. And choice. By that I mean that I would rather take some risk and enjoy life then be safe and bored. Death is not so far off now. I know it is getting closer. Nursing home wearing diapers while drooling and watching endless Oprah would be Hell on earth. Smacking a cliff at 90 mph when I am 85 sounds like someone should include that on my headstone. My main fear is causing harm to others. Luckily on a bike that risk is pretty low. One life, one chance, ride that bitch.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:55 PM
Speed Demon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
Chris:

If you are 180lbs. and 5'3" then you may have a problem!!!

Perish the thought
955 Tiger
R1100s
XT660SM
Old 11-26-2018, 05:38 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip
If anyone has a good energy caffeine drink they like, I would like to know

See post #44.

Monster energy drink also has L-carnitine in addition to taurine as in Red Bull.

Both of these amino acids are touted as energy boosters.

In addition, L-carnitine was recently found to be a marker for depression when decreased in the blood.

Studies are pending to see if it can treat people with deficient levels and the associated depression.

I don't know about Monster, but Red-Bull comes in multiple flavors and as a sugar free version.

If you prefer Red Bull over Monster but want the L-carnitine, you can purchase L-carnitine for ~ $4 per 30 tablet bottle at Walmart.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:14 PM
BMW S1000XR

Might be a good time to provide a disclaimer warning about the use of energy drinks. They can cause a variety of issues if over used or if one is caffine sensitive. I personally don't like them, after trying them for a few months, as they are hard to come down from sometimes.

I certainly like to have energy but when the day is done I want to be able to relax and not stay keyed up.

I like coffee in the morning and light caffeine drink in the afternoon if needed.

Its a fine line with any stimulant between alertness and energy and strung out with heart palpitations.
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Rider19' for this post:
Old 11-27-2018, 08:51 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

In general, younger guys tolerate and thrive with the energy drinks. Lots of young pilots drink them routinely when making long flights in order to stay awake and sharp.

Old guys? It's touch and go. A-Fib and Atrial Vibration are two common heart ailments that are aggravated by large quantities of caffeine (and alcohol! ).
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

Hunter S. Thompson
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Tyson' for this post:
Old 11-27-2018, 10:24 AM
Site Contributor

Question Re: Losing Skills

Quote:
Might be a good time to provide a disclaimer warning about the use of energy drinks. They can cause a variety of issues if overused or if one is caffeine sensitive.

A recent study, unpublished, is being presented at a national heart conference on the side effects of energy drinks. Their finding is that the caffeine may cause vasoconstriction and this can be dangerous for those with pre-existing heart or vessel disease. The study has not been peer reviewed yet.

Note that the caffeine content in a small can of Red bull is 110 mg, same as a regular cup of coffee. And that taurine suppresses the sympathetic nervous system which causes a decrease in blood pressure.

The vasoconstriction detected by the study could be a response to the lower blood pressure. This would be the body's attempt to keep blood flow up to par. And thus a needed compensatory physiological response.

Caffeine sensitivity is due to a slowed rate of caffeine metabolism. In such people, caffeine and its effect can accumulate over several days of just one cup per day. The same is true for the energy drinks in that the caffeine will accumulate even as the other ingredients are metabolized and can no longer counteract the caffeine.

Certainly overuse of energy drinks should be avoided. And, IMHO, this is easily accomplished by limiting intake to the minimum amount needed to get you going at a normal level of energy. Also, IMHO, other sources of caffeine should not be added to energy drink intake.

Over-caffeination is dangerous for motorcyclists as it can result in risk taking and road rage.

And using energy drinks to combat alcohol effects is even more so as you add impaired judgement and reflexes to the above.

PS

Quote:
In a large cohort, coffee drinking and caffeine intake are inversely related to risk of hospitalization for arrhythmias, especially atrial fibrillation and other supraventricular arrhythmias. ... It is highly unlikely that moderate caffeine intake increases arrhythmia risk.
Coffee, Caffeine, and Risk of Hospitalization for Arrhythmias - NCBI - NIH
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3200095/
Old 11-28-2018, 03:57 PM
Twisted Wrister

I'm 65, and in hopefully good shape, though worried about high blood pressure. Before I get into what I do for exercise, let me say that my woes are mostly the same ones I had riding my K100RS in my 30's, just worse, and sooner.

When I would ride 400 miles in a day on my K100RS, it really took its toll. I did this a lot in the 1980's, before I had kids. I can directly compare somewhat, having taken the same sort of week-long vacation to Colorado on my K1300s to multiple trips back in the day on the K100RS.

It was always an ibuprofen ride. Except for the 1983 K100RS I had for a while (totaled), all the BMW seats I've had (suffered through) were killing me by the end of the day. Hence a series of inflatable covers, sheepskin covers, modified underwear and custom seats. But always there was the ibuprofen at the 250 mile mark.

My knees always hurt - but my hips didn't. That's a bit new in that they also add to the list of aches.

My back and wrists - always, always sore, then and now. I think the smart thing to do would be get bar backs. I only need about an inch or less to make a big difference in seating position. As it is now, I do the same thing I've done since 1978 (first RS) - I ride fast enough for the wind to take the weight off my wrists, which is around 75-85mph. Since I live out west, I can do this.

All these things are the same problem at age 65 as they were in my 30's, except they start hurting at the 75-100 mile point, instead of 250. And really, the K100RS was a bit more comfortable than the K1300s. A bit more wind protection, and far softer suspension.

There is one completely new problem that plagues me in the past five years. Often (25% of the time), when I lift my right leg onto the footpeg, something seems to get caught inside my hip, like a pinched ligament. Very painful, and the only cure is to straighten my leg, usually by standing on the footpegs for 5-10 seconds. I have no idea where this came from, but it's very painful.

I said I'm in reasonable good health, except high blood pressure I'm working on. I've given up caffeine entirely. I'm trying to cut down salt intake, to the point I've been learning how to cook (Blue Apron meals for 8 months now). Back in 2007 before I got married, I lost 45 pounds (245 to 198), and I've mostly maintained that (205 is normal for me now). I'm 6 foot 2 inches. I've been doing taekwondo once or twice a week since 1995, and that helps with cardio some. Last night I did 39 pushups in 30 seconds, among a lot of other exercises in the warmups. When I lost my weight, I was swimming a mile a day through the summer. Kept that up for about 7 years. It changed my body.

I love motorcycling. Been doing it since I was 17, with ten years off during kids. I want to drive the kind of bike I can - until I physically cannot do it any more. That's why I'm riding a K1300s instead of something more sensible, like an R1200rs. I lost my wife to pancreatic cancer last year. I know how suddenly life can change, and I'm using every day I've got before I don't got more days.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'phxazcraig' for this post:
Old 11-28-2018, 06:06 PM
Site Contributor

Alright Craig. Keep riding that k13s as long as you can. Why settle for a jeep (r1200gs) when you can ride a sports car?

Black 2013 k1300s

Past BMWs
Old 11-28-2018, 07:35 PM
Getting up to speed

It is nice and comforting to be sble to share our aging problems and cures to fight off the inevitable of middle age. Its great we share our solutions to this million year old problem. We old farts have to stick togeather.
Wouldn't it be great if we all could stand togeather for a while and forget about our differences and just stand togeather with what binds us.
Hope that ain't askin to much.🤠
The following (5) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Rip' for this post:
Old 11-30-2018, 01:19 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Wow - nice to see this site still kicking. I will be 67 in december and man can I relate to this topic. Aging process is interesting to say the least. At the end of august into september I did a 8,000 mile bike trip. One of my stops was to St Simons Island in Georgia. I met a gentleman on the beach one day and in talking age came up. He was 89yo. I was stunned because this dude was in incredible shape for his age. I asked him what his secret was he told me he goes to the gym 6 days a week. That has to take unbelievable discipline.I fine as I continue to age I have to exercise more and ride more to try and maintain. The riding is easy. The exercise is a struggle.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'podman' for this post:
Old 11-30-2018, 05:21 PM
Born to ride

Well, since it seems I am the oldest here, and I'd like to get rid of the nagging message at the top, I may as well share my experience. I am certainly not a knee dragger (never was) but I enjoy twisty roads and a spirited ride. I went through a spell a few years ago where my confidence was failing as I could not seem to make the bike ('07 K1200GT) do what I wanted. I was ready to pack it in until Beech told me about the front ball joint. Fixed that and it was better but with the problems we were having with our bikes, we did not ride a lot. However, since we got the FJR's, we've been rolling up reasonable miles (14k last year, 11k this year) and my riding is better than it was since I bought the K1200GT. Putting in the miles, especially on twisties, is critical, IMHO.

When I turned 65, I decided to get in better shape. It helped that I got a free gym membership with MediGap. I alternate weight sessions with vigorous walking or treadmill. I'd prefer running but have two replacement knees and running is "forbidden." Besides improving my heart rate and blood pressure, this regimen has let me eat and drink what I want without adding blubber. I'm sure it helps riding as well.

Simple, isn't it. Stay, or get, in shape and ride, ride ride.

"Fairness is about equality of opportunity, not equality of outcomes." -- Kellyanne Conway
"White Privilege" means that you, and others, will never wonder if you were successful because of Affirmative Action. -- Anon.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'K_Flyer' for this post:
Old 12-11-2018, 01:30 PM
Site Contributor

Post When to consume Caffeine....

Quote:
Mornings may not be the best time to drink coffee [or an energy drink], according to experts

By Arti Patel, Senior National Online Journalist, Smart Living Global News

“We found that by using our algorithm, which determines when and how much caffeine a subject should consume, we can improve alertness by up to 64 per cent, while consuming the same total amount of caffeine,” principal investigator and senior author Jaques Reifman said in a statement.

“Alternatively, a subject can reduce caffeine consumption by up to 65 per cent and still achieve equivalent improvements in alertness.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/4258839/b...-drink-coffee/
Old 12-13-2018, 09:39 AM
Fuse lit...
Thanked 1,170 Times in 465 Posts

Quote:
Bob:

The natural for me is to start riding my bicycle again. A good friend mountain bikes 3 days a week all year round. I have gone out with him a few times - really like it and I'm in terrible shape when it comes to pedaling up mountain trails.

Bruce, an exercise that I felt really improved my stamina at the track was doing a Bosu Ball program a few times a week leading up to the beginning of the season. It'll really work your quads and core muscles and improved my feel for my balance.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriverWes
Bruce, an exercise that I felt really improved my stamina at the track was doing a Bosu Ball program a few times a week leading up to the beginning of the season. It'll really work your quads and core muscles and improved my feel for my balance.
Wes:
I should try it - Karen has one - of course I've never so much as touched the thing.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 12-13-2018, 01:12 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriverWes
I should try that Wes. FYI - I have been having some on-going pain in my groin.(when i say on-going I mean like 2.5 years now). The doctors I've consulted don't know what it is. I've been taking gabapentin and that's relieved the pain, but the underlying cause has not gone away. So, unfortunately my doctor now wants me to stay off the bike for at least 6 months. The Bosu Ball or yoga, plus a lot of hiking with the dog, might be the answer.

Black 2013 k1300s

Past BMWs
Old 12-13-2018, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby
I should try that Wes. FYI - I have been having some on-going pain in my groin.(when i say on-going I mean like 2.5 years now). The doctors I've consulted don't know what it is. I've been taking gabapentin and that's relieved the pain, but the underlying cause has not gone away. So, unfortunately my doctor now wants me to stay off the bike for at least 6 months. The Bosu Ball or yoga, plus a lot of hiking with the dog, might be the answer.
Interesting the doctor tells you stay off the bike for 6 months. Does riding cause this pain and does it in fact bother you to ride anymore so than say driving your car?

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 12-13-2018, 01:59 PM
Site Contributor

Yes, it's interesting that he suggested that. I think he's grasping at straws because he is out of ideas. And no, the pain and itchiness doesn't correlate with any activity: driving, riding, biking, sitting, sex.....nothing. Without the gabapentin the pain is constant. To say it's ruining my life would be an exaggeration but I'm beginning to understand what people with intense chronic pain are dealing with. For me it's a major annoyance, disruption.

Black 2013 k1300s

Past BMWs
Old 12-21-2018, 02:51 PM
Site Contributor

Back in the day there was a study purportedly finding that mice with dietary restriction lived longer, had more energy, and when the time came, died more quickly.

Additional, more recent studies have confused the picture.

However, experiments are still on going.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3299887/
Old 12-21-2018, 07:04 PM
Site Contributor

Besides going to my GP I have seen a naturopath. I modified my diet in a number of ways and it had no affect on the pain in my groin. I've been off my bike for about three weeks now and there has been no change in my condition. Frustrating that this has been going on for 2.5 years and nothing the doctors suggest has any affect on it, except the gabapentin, which of course is not a fix. I wonder what 1800 mg/day of gabapentin is doing to my liver? Any ideas about what could be causing this would be much appreciated. Feel free to PM me.

Black 2013 k1300s

Past BMWs
Old 12-21-2018, 11:25 PM
Getting up to speed

Forgot to mention that now i wear compression socks, I like the ones with copper in them and 2 advil before the ride. I have a camel pack so i drink lots of water. On a hot day a cold dri k of water is so refreshing. I have just 1 energy drink mid afternoon to keep me more alert and responsive to my surroundings. Dont drink them otherwise and like protein drinks for gym work.
Turmeric is helpful for joint pain. A nice cocktail is always nice at the end of the day.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:52 PM
Site Contributor

Red face Re: Losing Skills

CORRECTION: Current recommendations are to brush teeth 2 TIMES A DAY.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...h/faq-20058193

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW
Current recommendations are to brush your teeth 3 times a day, for 2 minutes each time.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:55 PM
Site Contributor

Some suggest that if you are taking amino acid supplements (taurine, carnitine), these should be taken on an empty stomach and without food for the next 30 minutes.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:08 AM
Site Contributor

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...h/faq-20058193

According to this site, brushing should be delayed for 30 minutes after consuming an acidic drink such as coffee.

However, caffeine is an alkaloid and other substances in coffee cause the acidity.

Energy drinks like Red Bull have caffeine but not coffee as an ingredient.

This may be a factor favoring Red Bull over coffee for an energy boost.

Also...
Quote:
It is unfortunate to say, but it's true that acid reflux is often worsened by caffeine. This is because the high acid content in coffee, as well as the actual caffeine, will cause the lower esophageal sphincter muscles to relax allowing stomach acid to enter the oesophagus, which is what causes acid reflux.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:07 PM
Site Contributor

I only drink coffee because I love the flavor, and it doesn't hurt that it's complex chemistry is good for you. For an energy boost I've used 5 Hour Energy and that seems to work. I believe that stuff is primarily B vitamins.

Black 2013 k1300s

Past BMWs
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'bobby' for this post:
Old 01-08-2019, 12:17 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
I noticed this past year that I certainly have lost some reaction time. I think it goes hand in hand with my eyes aren't what they once were.

Not too mention my eyes are not the only physical problem I have. From the aging process came arthritis(early in my case) to injuries.

All of this seems to be catching up with me.

I know for sure I'm working harder now at riding well than I've had to in the past - I'm not getting better I'm trying to maintain the skills I have.

I also noticed again this past year my legs are not as strong as they once were.

So I'm curious are others experiencing this as the years pile up or am I an old geezer before my time?

And what are you doing to overcome or adjust to this - I want to ride for a good long time but at the rate of decline I noticed this past year I will be in a rocker in a few years.

Maybe I'm older than my years.. I'm JUST 39 (like less than a month ago). I notice my reaction time is slowing. I'm leaving a lot more room between me and other vehicles. I know I don't have the skills I used to, but I have chalked that up to 1. just starting back after 9 years, 2. different type of bike (my k12rs is nothing like my vt1100c), and 3. weight of the bike (the k12rs is 70 lbs heavier than the shadow at wet weight). Some of it is I know I'm not as flexible or nimble or mobile as I used to be. I bet I'm physically stronger.. My vision is getting worse too.. or more accurately I'm noticing my astigmatism more and more. Pirate would win his bet.. I was never a knee dragger, but I was wearing down the pegs on my vt1100c when I gave her up.. I'm afraid to get that low on the k12 right now. I feel like I'm putting in more lean and getting less turn out of it than the old shadow.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythefwd
Maybe I'm older than my years.. I'm JUST 39 (like less than a month ago). I notice my reaction time is slowing. I'm leaving a lot more room between me and other vehicles. I know I don't have the skills I used to, but I have chalked that up to 1. just starting back after 9 years, 2. different type of bike (my k12rs is nothing like my vt1100c), and 3. weight of the bike (the k12rs is 70 lbs heavier than the shadow at wet weight). Some of it is I know I'm not as flexible or nimble or mobile as I used to be. I bet I'm physically stronger.. My vision is getting worse too.. or more accurately I'm noticing my astigmatism more and more. Pirate would win his bet.. I was never a knee dragger, but I was wearing down the pegs on my vt1100c when I gave her up.. I'm afraid to get that low on the k12 right now. I feel like I'm putting in more lean and getting less turn out of it than the old shadow.
In your case I really think more to do with just getting back into riding after a 9 year break. Also you are older and likely smarter so you are being more careful and you are in tune with your body more than when you were younger.

Taking your time and riding smart will get you back in good form - the old saying use it or lose it is so true.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 01-08-2019, 12:46 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
In your case I really think more to do with just getting back into riding after a 9 year break. Also you are older and likely smarter so you are being more careful and you are in tune with your body more than when you were younger.

Taking your time and riding smart will get you back in good form - the old saying use it or lose it is so true.

No argument here on that. I do notice I dont have the same maneuverability as I used to. Some of it is that the k12rs is more top heavy, and I really dont want to drop it lol.. its f'n heavy man. I cant find a grip to back up to it, so I'm front lifting it (poor technique, but I still can stand her up comfortably..ish). The lock to lock on the handlebars IS less on the k12 as well.. so requires more lean to get the same slow speed turns. I used to practice a 2 parking spot u-turn on the old shadow (86 vt1100c if you want to google it).. and actually clear one side by a foot.. I'm still at the 2.5 parking spot mark.. probably need more wrist and lean, drag rear brake to stabilize the suspension, and possibly compress suspension a little with front before starting to make it happen on this thing. They're literally different beasts.. and I suspect that I could go back to dragging pegs pretty quick on the old bike.. I'm just re-learning how to ride cause they are very different rides.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:23 PM
Site Contributor

39?, wow I wish. If fact, I wish I was 49,...or even 59. You lucky dog!

Black 2013 k1300s

Past BMWs
Old 01-08-2019, 08:35 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Mormon men live 10 years longer than other U.S. white males. Those are among the results of a 25-year study into the health habits and the longevity of the Mormon lifestyle by non-Mormon UCLA professors James E. Enstrom and Lester Breslow, who summarized their research with the conclusion: "Several healthy characteristics of the Mormon lifestyle are associated with substantially reduced death rates and increased life expectancy...

They abstain from alcohol, tobacco, tea and coffee because the body is the temple of the spirit (I Cor. 3:16-17).The study revealed Mormon males had a life expectancy of 84.1 years — 9.8 years longer than that of U.S. white males.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...ve-longer.html

OTOH, the University of California Irvine is conducting a study of those who live into their 90's and preliminary data suggest moderate alcohol and caffeine intake is a common thread.

http://www.mind.uci.edu/research-studies/90plus-study/
Old 01-09-2019, 04:08 PM
Crash Test Dummy

Aaacck! This thread. Of course I had to find it today as I close in on 66. Drat.

I met Bruce at an SSR a few years ago and I used to live in western Massachusetts. I was never a speed guy like Bruce, Pirate or you others. I came late to motorcycles, early 50's and did not want to knee drag but did get to like having the speed available to me in the 2007 KGT and move faster than traffic. Don't think I ever had the reflexes or nerve for real knee dragging or racing.

Have been thinking of the same things, looking for loss of skills these past years and mentally at work as well as I worked with a bunch of smart younger people. That is past tense now as corporate work is over and now I will be part time work.

All this thread has been good advice on weight, exercise and yoga. Yoga particularly for flexibility. I have a younger wife who runs a YMCA and now that I am home full time (no more effectively 100% travel) I will be there too. The Great Dane likes long walks.
Rather than pressing it on two lane speed I prefer long trips on the GT with an occasional fast section on a road I know. I never drove a car as fast as I ride the GT on highway. On two lane there is too much to go wrong.

Just bought a lightly used BMW F800GSA for a BC, Yukon, Alaska trip this summer with another guy but we are trailering our bikes from Cape Cod to Montana to save rubber, bodies, avoid cities and get to open roads. The adventure stuff is appealing. My exercise program is similar in the gym, kettlebells, bosu ball, rower, elliptical. I used to ride mountain bike and should again as that is most excellent for balance, stamina and legs.

During one of my first rides on the the GS this September in Vermont I stopped and assisted a sheriff's deputy and another passerby with EMT training, (I was an EMT and ski patrol for many years) wait for the ambulance for a bicycle crash of a middle aged fit female bike rider who crashed badly sustaining a head injury despite a good helmet on Rt 100 near Killington. No real reason for the crash observable, but it was not a good situation. You can hit a tree on a mountain bike but most time the speed will be lower.

I ski with people my age that are very fast. I can be fast but always aware of what can go wrong. My sister is a very strong skier and a couple years ago on her 65th day of skiing that year her ski chattered out on a corner on a trail we had skied hundreds of times and hit a tree very badly. We have all slowed down. I helped take one of the best 14 year old skiers in the US out of the woods after he hit a tree free skiing and he lost his lower leg.

I muscled both the GT and the GSA down a ramp into my cellar alone for winter quarters but would not want to make it a weekly activity. Tried taking the GSA out two days ago for a ride but could not quite manage alone. It was exercise but too easy to tip or pull a muscle.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. Winston Churchill
2007 BMW K1200 GT
2015 BMW F800GS Adventure
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'emtnek' for this post:
Old 01-09-2019, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnek
Aaacck! This thread. Of course I had to find it today as I close in on 66. Drat.

I met Bruce at an SSR a few years ago and I used to live in western Massachusetts. I was never a speed guy like Bruce, Pirate or you others. I came late to motorcycles, early 50's and did not want to knee drag but did get to like having the speed available to me in the 2007 KGT and move faster than traffic. Don't think I ever had the reflexes or nerve for real knee dragging or racing.

Have been thinking of the same things, looking for loss of skills these past years and mentally at work as well as I worked with a bunch of smart younger people. That is past tense now as corporate work is over and now I will be part time work.

All this thread has been good advice on weight, exercise and yoga. Yoga particularly for flexibility. I have a younger wife who runs a YMCA and now that I am home full time (no more effectively 100% travel) I will be there too. The Great Dane likes long walks.
Rather than pressing it on two lane speed I prefer long trips on the GT with an occasional fast section on a road I know. I never drove a car as fast as I ride the GT on highway. On two lane there is too much to go wrong.

Just bought a lightly used BMW F800GSA for a BC, Yukon, Alaska trip this summer with another guy but we are trailering our bikes from Cape Cod to Montana to save rubber, bodies, avoid cities and get to open roads. The adventure stuff is appealing. My exercise program is similar in the gym, kettlebells, bosu ball, rower, elliptical. I used to ride mountain bike and should again as that is most excellent for balance, stamina and legs.

During one of my first rides on the the GS this September in Vermont I stopped and assisted a sheriff's deputy and another passerby with EMT training, (I was an EMT and ski patrol for many years) wait for the ambulance for a bicycle crash of a middle aged fit female bike rider who crashed badly sustaining a head injury despite a good helmet on Rt 100 near Killington. No real reason for the crash observable, but it was not a good situation. You can hit a tree on a mountain bike but most time the speed will be lower.

I ski with people my age that are very fast. I can be fast but always aware of what can go wrong. My sister is a very strong skier and a couple years ago on her 65th day of skiing that year her ski chattered out on a corner on a trail we had skied hundreds of times and hit a tree very badly. We have all slowed down. I helped take one of the best 14 year old skiers in the US out of the woods after he hit a tree free skiing and he lost his lower leg.

I muscled both the GT and the GSA down a ramp into my cellar alone for winter quarters but would not want to make it a weekly activity. Tried taking the GSA out two days ago for a ride but could not quite manage alone. It was exercise but too easy to tip or pull a muscle.
Blake it is good to read that you are doing well and look forward to reading about your trip this summer.

Trust me my days of riding really fast have come and gone. Sure I make it to the track and have a lot of fun but I don't push it like I used to. Last summer I really noticed how much I've slowed down.

Some days I feel really good and the old me comes out for a bit - but those days are few and far between.

All we can do is keep on trying our best to stay fit and enjoy riding as much as we can.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 01-09-2019, 05:45 PM
Crash Test Dummy

There is your problem with track riding.
You have times where you can see what you did last year, week, lap and this. Then you know changes can't all be blamed on tires, bike tuning, track conditions, fuel formulation, wind direction, or available sunlight.

Those of us that stay off the track have only our imaginations and malleable memories. It is similar to many skiers that sit on a bar stool and describe feats of skiing others witnessed that have no relationship to what they actually saw.

I am a good skier. I have skied with some really good skiers. Their reflexes and capacity to process input and muscle feedback is different from mine. I simply watched them go and did not arrive all that much later. I could tell myself I was smelling the roses, or evergreens. Motorcycling and skiing are wonderfully sensory like that. I hope to keep it going as do we all.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle. Winston Churchill
2007 BMW K1200 GT
2015 BMW F800GS Adventure