I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S/KR" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S/KR" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 01-10-2007, 11:23 PM
Site Contributor

Valve adjustment on K1200 R and S

I have/had a 06 k1200R with 19,000 miles and the valve adjustment is still not due. According to the computer it is still about 4 to 5,000 miles away before an adjustment might be due. What is your experience and if adjustment had to be done what was the cost?
Thanks
Red Baron
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Red Baron' for this post:
Old 01-11-2007, 04:38 AM
Euro Moderator

Send a message via MSN to rlmr Send a message via Skype™ to rlmr
Re: Valve adjustment on K1200 R and S

My KS has 14,500 miles (not been used a lot over the winter weather this year).

At its 12,000 miles service (actually at 12,122) the computer said the valve clearance CHECK would be due in a couple of hundred miles. I dutifully booked the bike in for the valve check and this was carried out at 12,4300 miles.

The physical check of the clearances revealed all clearances were within tolerances so no actual adjustment was required.

Seems a bit strange that the computer is only checked at service time and by that time they would be as well checking the clearances. If, say through hard use, the clearance check was to be required earlier how would we know as you do not find out till the bike is hooked up to the computer... and that's only done at service time .

As for cost... 160 just for the valve check, over and above the cost of the 12,000 service. I think when it comes up for the 24,000 miles service I will see if they will just check the valves anyway as the plastic is off the bike anyway... bound to say an hour's dismantling / rebuilding time .

Hope this helps. If not I suggest you contact "ManfredH" who has the R and had an S and is a Mod on this forum.

Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!
Old 01-11-2007, 10:33 AM
The Cleaner - I solve problems

I had my final drive repair completed (16,250 mi.), upon picking it up, the tech informed me that the valve adjust check needed to be looked at in 1250 miles.

It's in the shop today getting a 6k service, new final drive oil, new back tire, and this valve clearance check. Don't know if they'll do anything valve-wise, suspect not. I'm under the impression that the software does all the math with the bikes' individual telemetry history, yadayadayada to arrive at a check target. Guess the bikes are still too new to have handle on real, definitive valve adjustment needs.

I hope they don't have any surprises for me - this bike just rips! I'll report any ugly additions to my repair bill.

Ken

K12 S Indigo
Old 01-11-2007, 05:43 PM
Never Sarcastic.

My 2005 K1200S said it needed a valve check around 12,000 miles. I took it in and everything was perfectly dead-on with no adjustments needed.

Basically it was $266 flushed down the toilet.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:00 AM
Kraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickman
If you had your valves checked during the 12,000 mi service, the $266 should include other work (and oil as well). I can't image they charged you $266 just for checking the valves (that would be piracy/robbery).

Manfred
Old 01-12-2007, 02:02 AM
Never Sarcastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManfredH
If you had your valves checked during the 12,000 mi service, the $266 should include other work (and oil as well). I can't image they charged you $266 just for checking the valves (that would be piracy/robbery).

Manfred

Nope, they were crystal clear about it, the $266 was for labor only. It was a followup appointment to the 12K service, since the tech informed me that the bike needed the valve check within several hundred miles or so.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:50 AM
The Cleaner - I solve problems

Picked the bike up from the 6k service/valve check thing Friday. No adjustment neccessary - just the obligitory compensation to the warranty gods. . .

At 18,000 miles, it just gets better and better.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:29 PM
Site Contributor

Hopefully the new "K" bikes will be not very valve adjustment neccessary! As the old "K" bikes were not! I've just had one done on my 03 "GT" at 24,000. But the new ones are a lot more labor intensive!

My dealer had told me that a new "K" check was around $300,

To just check and the actual adjustment was to be about $300 on top of that

But it appears that no one was mentioning this prior to sale, but in actual experience most seem to not need the expensive work done at all or at least not often.

JC

MOA,AMA,RA,VSTP- 2# Crash,3# Drops@"0"mph
Twelve Orthopaedic Surgeries-Handicap
Old 01-19-2007, 10:08 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Just wondering - Does anyone do their own valve checks and adjustments? I have for decades on every bike I've owned.... Given the sticker shock of the dealer's charges for this, and many other "routine" maintenance items (i.e., fluid changes, etc.), why not DIY?
Old 01-19-2007, 10:18 AM
Kraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridingfar
Just wondering - Does anyone do their own valve checks and adjustments? I have for decades on every bike I've owned....
If you have
a) a vacuum pump for refilling the cooler
b) a set of those spheric shims for replacement
c) the repair manual
and if you are experienced (you will have to get out the camshafts) you will be able to do it. Yet I don't know anybody with those prerequisites who really did it.

With the brick engine, you could neglect adjusting valves. Valve clearance was ok most times. With the new inline four, there is yet no longtime experience about the valves. Time will show if valve adjustment (or at least valve clearance checking) is necessary at all.

Manfred
Old 01-19-2007, 02:53 PM
Site Contributor

I just want to put in my 2 cents worth…

I just had the 18K service done. My dealer “Iron Horse in Tucson, Az. is one WONDERFUL dealer & service dept center. I ride a total of 210 miles, round trip via The UGLY I-10 Fwy. just to have my bike serviced by them.

Anyway here’s the low dowm on my 18k service with Valve Check (compute said I had 500 miles left before I needed them check. So I had them ck.) & spark plugs…

First of all I changed my own oil & filter since that’s the ONLY thing you can service yourself on the new S bike!!!

My dealer also advised me to change my sparks plugs now or pay another big labor charge at the 24k service, as they have to remove the radiator to get at the plugs. So I think in the long run I will save a couple of hundred bucks come the next service…

PARTS:
1 Gasket $ 13.50
1 Gasket $ 26.50
1 O-Ring $ 3.50
4 Spark Plugs 14.99 ea = $59.96

LABOR:
Valve Check = $ 257.15 OUCH!
6K Service = $ 106.51 -53.26 for Oil & Filter

Total PARTS $ 103.46
Total Valve Ck. Lbr $ 257.15
Total 6K LABOR $ 53.25
Total shop supplies $ 12.42
Tax $ 4.53

GRAND Total $ 430.81

Now remember 60 bucks of that total was for spark plugs. I won’t have to pay a Labor fee to change them at the 24K service. So I figure I’ll be saving another 200.00 + bucks in Labor & Parts the next time around!
If this $400.00 charge only happens every 18k + that won’t be too bad. As the last two services 6k & 12K were under $95.00 bucks! Remember I do my own oil & filter…

My valves were just fine, no adj needed. Also the plugs that were removed looked very good. So I won’t be afraid to leave this set in the bike for an extra 6K if the valves go for another 18K before they need to be checked again…

I really wish the designed of the engine block was some what different, so as not to have to remove the radiator every time you need to ck valves or chg plugs! Plus, you can’t even change your own coolent because you need special equip and the computer to ckeck it’s been purged correctly. I guess the bikes are moving in the same line as cars. Lets just hope the service intervals will become longer with less valve adjustments etc… Only time will tell.

Wish the weather here in Phoenix was warmer as I and our club haven’t ridden in 3 weeks! I think that’s a record!

Enjoy the ride!

05 S, Custom painted BMW Black
Full Ti-Remus,Barbacks,MRA W-screen,Shift Ext., T-Tech Fuse Box,Clear Lens,BMW Bags,Evo Air filters/Slave Cylinder,Wunderlich Adj Clutch & Brk levers AND a V1 radar detector!
Yup, My Black Beauty is GONE...
I now ride a '08 F800ST.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:34 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Manfred said:
If you have
>> Yes, I do; this is a inexpensive tool also useful for changing brake and cluch fluids, among many other things.
b) a set of those spheric shims for replacement
>> They are available for purchase; you don't need a set, just the ones requireing replacement.
c) the repair manual
>> Ditto
and if you are experienced (you will have to get out the camshafts) you will be able to do it.
>> Yes, I have pulled and replaced cams on many OHC bikes.
Yet I don't know anybody with those prerequisites who really did it.
>> Hence my question about why not, especially when the rate is ~260 to check them, and another ~$300 to do an adjustment.

With the brick engine, you could neglect adjusting valves. Valve clearance was ok most times.
>> AYSM? It's a machine man, a good one, but a machine none the less. You think checking and adjusting valves is hard? It pales in comparison to pulling the head and replacing a burnt valve (which I've also had to do on another bike - pulled the head myself and had a engine shop replace the valve/reface the valve seats). NO motor with mechanically actuated valves is maintenance free, just like there are no "lifetime" lubricants.
With the new inline four, there is yet no longtime experience about the valves. Time will show if valve adjustment (or at least valve clearance checking) is necessary at all.
>> I think it's the opposite – valve clearance checking IS necessary, adjustments may be rare…

Then Shelley said:
LABOR:
Valve Check = $ 257.15 OUCH!
My valves were just fine, no adj needed.
>> I don't get this - what does "fine" mean. Obviously within the range of clearances specified, but I want to know, and for ~$260 I damn sure want to know, where each valve is in the range for it (intakes vs. exhausts). At the very least it tells you how they may move over time (valve clearance tends to get smaller as the valve face and seats wear allowing the valve stem to "rise").
It's good information to know, you're paying for it (if you don't check them yourself), and it beats the devil out of "they're fine" IMHO. YMMV.

So I'm not saying anything here except why wouldn't you consider doing this if you are able? There's clearly an economic benefit, which is why I didn't understand the apparent little interest I'd seen. No criticism intended, just wondering...
Old 01-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Site Contributor

Hi,

I do my own tire changes. On my K12RS I use to do all the fluids. Rad, brakes, oil, tranny and brake pads. However, I did have help at first from doing club tech days and watching others do it. As for the valves that's just one thing I don't think I'll tackle. I just don't do well with the .005 .010 etc... I'm sure as many of us get more info and time working with the new engine design we may start to do much more. However, the computer part is what may throw a wrench into doing some of these things as I think it has to confirm certain things like the pressure in the rad after it's refilled? Not sure but I've heard that. If not, then it's just getting all the right tools & info to perform these tasks... It's guys like you, that ask these questions that do get us to thinking that maybe we really can do it ourselves... Be well, S.

Full Ti-Remus,Barbacks,MRA W-screen,Shift Ext., T-Tech Fuse Box,Clear Lens,BMW Bags,Evo Air filters/Slave Cylinder,Wunderlich Adj Clutch & Brk levers AND a V1 radar detector!
I now ride a '08 F800ST.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:37 PM
Shooting the gap

At the national bmw bike show this year the tech for bmw told me that the cams don't need to be remove for adjustment that all you had to do was to loose the cams and pull them out
Old 01-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Site Contributor

I just have to add that I don't think it's another 300 bucks to adjust the valves on top of the 257.00 to check them. My dealer said if they have to be adjusted then it would be over 300.00 bucks depending on how many they had to adj...
Just don't want to shock anyone thinking if adjustment is needed it will run 550.00 bucks!!! Even though $350.00 is still a high price. However, if the other services only run around $95.00 then I'll be o.k. with it. I just have to save up some money when it comes time for the big service...

I now ride a '08 F800ST.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:49 PM
Has gotten a ticket or three..

I do all my own service including the valves. It took me most of a day but that is not bad considering the 2 1/2 hour ride each way I would have to do to get to the dealer and then I would have to hang around for 6 or 7 hours for the bike to cool and get the work done. Beside that I know exactly what each valve setting was and will have history and trending when I do the next check. The cooling system can be refilled without the vacuum pump. The BMW shop does not have me by the short and curlies yet.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:09 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffearless
The cooling system can be refilled without the vacuum pump.
Care to expand on this a little? I've read through the procedure and this is the only thing that would keep me from doing my own. If for some reason I didn't get the cooling system properly purged and an air pocket caused an overheat condition that resulted in engine damage it would be on my nickel, warranty wouldn't cover it.

While the ~$400 price tag for a valve adjustment isn't exactly cheap, that's about what you'd pay a dealer for the same service on a V-tec VFR so at least it's not unprecedented.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:31 PM
Has gotten a ticket or three..

It is possible to refill the cooling system and bleed it without the vacuum pump. It is just a little harder. I refilled my system after checking the valves by first filling the radiator, capping it, then attaching a container filled with coolant with a clear hose out the bottom to the bleed valve on the water pump. I squeezed the hose from the radiator to the pump to work the air out of the system. Then I opened the plug on the plastic coolant line near the water pump a little until coolant seeped out then closed it. After I had all the air out of the system I started the bike and ran it for a while till it got warm, then shut it off. I opened the bleed valve a little a little more air. I did this a couple times until I got no more air. The bleed valve is the high point in the system. Watch your coolant tank level you may need to add a little coolant when you are through.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'ffearless' for this post:
Old 01-20-2007, 01:17 PM
Shooting the gap

Thanks! I'm keeping a copy of your post for future reference. I'm still not sure if I'll tackle this myself but information like this sure helps.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:57 AM
Kraut

Quote:
>> Yes, I do; this is a inexpensive tool also useful for changing brake and cluch fluids, among many other things.
I know this kind of tool. However, I doubt it's suitable for evacuatiing the cooing circuit as the volume is much larger. As you have the repair manual: have a look at the tool that's shown there! I myselft don't want to risk severe engine damage (I already had the engine overheated because the cooling circuit having not properly evacuated).

Besides this until yet I didn't read any report about valves to have to be adjusted at all. Valve clearance has been ok with all engines checked. I *do* agree that checking valves is important!

Manfred
Old 01-21-2007, 04:07 AM
Kraut

Due to the repair guide (which *I* would trust more) the camshafts *have* to be removed completely.

Manfred
Old 01-21-2007, 04:13 AM
Kraut

Quote:
The cooling system can be refilled without the vacuum pump.
That's really interesting news! Where did you get it? How do you make sure that no air will be left???

I have seen the interior of the engine (see picture below) and have talked to BMW techs from the factory. Evacuting is indispensible unless you don't want to risk a severe engine damage.

Manfred
Old 01-21-2007, 04:19 AM
Kraut

Interesting description. However, I seriously doubt you will get the air out of these caverns (even by running the engine):

Again: *I* wouldn't do that. It's up to you/anybody to risk engine damage.

Manfred

Last edited by ManfredH : 01-21-2007 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:39 AM
(Moderator) My Life is a Blur

Send a message via Skype™ to Karlb

I wont risk it, at least not until the bike is out of warranty, once everything is on my nickel anyways I will try to start doing more to it, I did all maintenance on my 99 KRS once it was out of warranty also. besides by then more of you guys will have taken the plunge and there will be more info out there for me to follow.
thanks in advance!!!
Old 09-04-2014, 04:56 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Smile Re: Valve adjustment on K1200 R and S

Hi There guys, I am new the forum and to I-BMW.. and I feel you guys could actually be of some help..

My K1200s (06 with 41666Miles/ 75000Km) on the ODO has developed a miss fire or "sputter" at low RPM. I have just replaced the spark plugs having thought it might be the cause of the "sputter". The "sputter" occurs at low RPM (1000- 2600RPM) then goes away. It starts first time in the mornings..

On buying the spark plugs on Saturday (31 Aug 14), the parts person told me it could be valve clearance. However, I still purchased the plugs.. as my logic tells me, should it be the valves the bike would not start easily from "cold"...

What else could the problem be? Dirty injectors(?) (However a faulty injector would mess me around at any RPM..?)

Your experience is valued in answering this question.. Please help..
Old 09-04-2014, 06:38 PM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Hi Gavin, welcome

I don't think that fault is a valve clearance, in fact you can read in the forum, is not a "must" to regulate valves.

Please , if is possible , search for many threads about your issue (search engine), with all members together surely will find the solution, step by step
Old 09-05-2014, 12:39 AM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Just wondering - Does anyone do their own valve checks and adjustments? I have for decades on every bike I've owned.... Given the sticker shock of the dealer's charges for this, and many other "routine" maintenance items (i.e., fluid changes, etc.), why not DIY?

I do mine.....ALL of the above. Including changing/refilling the coolant under the mandatory vacuum. It's a bit tight to get at the valves, but no big problem. Just follow the instructions in the Service DVD (and DON'T try to DIY without this DVD!)

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
Old 09-05-2014, 12:44 AM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GavinK1200S
On buying the spark plugs on Saturday (31 Aug 14), the parts person told me it could be valve clearance.

Your partsman doesn't know what he is talking about! Not only will improper valve clearances NOT cause sputtering as you describe, the slant-4 motors like yours, almost never have valve clearance problems.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:56 AM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
It is possible to refill the cooling system and bleed it without the vacuum pump.

So you got lucky.... it amazes me how some people will go to any lengths to get around doing a simple vacuum filling procedure! The fact is that you can get lucky and fill the cooling system the normal way and sometimes suffer no problems. But it's a roll of the dice!

Your method has no guarantee that it will work EVERY TIME. Filling under vacuum DOES work every time! Given the cost and potential damage of overheating, in my opinion one would have to be a fool to try to fill the cooling system by ffearless's method.

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'RFW' for this post:
Old 09-05-2014, 03:00 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardo
Hi Gavin, welcome

I don't think that fault is a valve clearance, in fact you can read in the forum, is not a "must" to regulate valves.

Please , if is possible , search for many threads about your issue (search engine), with all members together surely will find the solution, step by step

Thank you for the harty welcome, you guys have been G R E A T so say the least.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:01 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFW
I do mine.....ALL of the above. Including changing/refilling the coolant under the mandatory vacuum. It's a bit tight to get at the valves, but no big problem. Just follow the instructions in the Service DVD (and DON'T try to DIY without this DVD!)

Thank you for the advice, I shall leave to the "pro's". I know enough abot engines just to get me into trouble.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:06 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFW
Your partsman doesn't know what he is talking about! Not only will improper valve clearances NOT cause sputtering as you describe, the slant-4 motors like yours, almost never have valve clearance problems.

I tend to agree with you as if it truly was the valves I would battle on a cold start-up and it will mess me around continiously. I have a suspision that I might have ran my tank too low before the last fill-up. Maybe some debries got caught in injectors and are now clogging one of them. I shall get some injector cleaner and put some in with my next fill up and see what it does.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for the help guys!

Keep it safe.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:07 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Ok Fella's.. I added some injector cleaner to my fuel. The problem got slightly worse, but after like 40Km the bike is now quiet and no more sputtering at low RPM. There is a still a little bit of a sputter, I have added the 2/3 of the bottle to the tank again there is a huge improvement. I think this is the end of my problems. Thank you for the advice!
Old 09-08-2014, 12:19 PM
Twisted Wrister

Glad you fixed it Gavin, maybe stick to Chevron Supreme from now on to keep it clean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickman
My 2005 K1200S said it needed a valve check around 12,000 miles. I took it in and everything was perfectly dead-on with no adjustments needed.

You did not waste your money. You ensured longevity. Think of it more like a warranty. You hate to spend the money if nothing goes wrong, but if it does you are really glad you spent it.

"Your method has no guarantee that it will work EVERY TIME. Filling under vacuum DOES work every time! Given the cost and potential damage of overheating, in my opinion one would have to be a fool to try to fill the cooling system by ffearless's method."
Sorry RFW, I have seen the vacuum method fail. I bled the system with the bleed port above the water pump with the bike idling, got some air out and all was well. You are correct in that the dealer uses the vacuum method, but consider the physics of the situation. If you pull a vacuum you make the air bubbles bigger and hopefully your vacuum pump will pull them through the system. When the water pump is running the pump can push the air out. The water pump has a much better chance as it has more pressure and is pushing, making the air bubbles smaller. At home exhaust is not a problem so bleeding is MUCH easier and faster than the vacuum setup. If you disagree, please post your logic, not hearsay this is simple engineering and physics.

Ffearles, if you do this again, bleed it with the bike idling. Just be sure you bleed a little at a time and don't run the tank dry.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'DOA' for this post:
Old 09-08-2014, 01:52 PM
Entering the on-ramp

"-...maybe stick to Chevron Supreme from now on to keep it clean?". Unfortunately in South Africa we do not have Chevron Supreme (To my knowledge), I will continue to use this atleast once ever 2000Km. I don't want to encounter this again. Thanks for the tips!
Old 09-23-2014, 09:55 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Ok Fella's.. I added some injector cleaner to my fuel. The problem got slightly worse, but after like 40Km the bike is now quiet and no more sputtering at low RPM. There is a still a little bit of a sputter, I have added the 2/3 of the bottle to the tank again there is a huge improvement. I think this is the end of my problems. Thank you for the advice!

I Think I might have celebrated too soon. It would appear the sputter is back at low RPM 2000 - 3000 Range. Only option now is to flush the fuel system and service the injectors via ultrasonic cleaning.

I must add, I encountered a higher idle and a delay after a "blip" on the throttle.. I again added injector cleaner and the delay disappeared and idle is "normal" again. The sensation I got, was as if the "butterflies" in the throttle body were "sticking", maybe by a nano fraction of a gnats ball hair.. May I am just delusional.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:33 PM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Hi Gavin

I think you must point to another direction as alternative, there are some causes with that issue, I suggest you read this thread, perhaps can help to find the origin to your problem.

"Choking and stalling when coasting, now with backfire" http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=48870
Old 09-23-2014, 04:48 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thank you Sir, I have diverted to your recommended thread.
Old 09-25-2014, 05:12 PM
Twisted Wrister

These bikes can suffer from a weak coil. If you can find an Infered Laser thermometer, run the bike at idle and measure the temp of each exhaust pipe close to the engine cylinder head (somewhere easy to read all four at the same pipe length).

If the bike is running correctly, they should all be the same temp. If you have one or more pipe/s thats cooler than the rest, that cylinder/s has an issue.

Could be a coil,, could be an injector.

One of my next projects will be to open the AIR filter so I can access the inside of the air box. Use come carb spray and while the bike is running, spray each carb/throttle body to clean off any carbon/gum. (You will have to use the throttle to regulate the engine RPM)

I will also make sure that there isnt any crud inside the air box.

Bill
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Bill Curlee' for this post:
Old 09-26-2014, 02:49 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Much appreciated Bill! I shall give that a bash. I personally feel I had a filled up with a bad tank of gas which has resulted in this problem. Your suggestion will be honoured.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:40 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,077 Posts

My fellow K1200S valve check/adjusterers.

Have read this thread, and yes, BMW have a pretty good cash cow going on.
Even the o/b computer is going to tell you!(BMW Service computer, or GS911.)

So; when do the "clearances," start to move?

My second hand bike, with 53,000km on, missed it's 50,000 check, (PO) and I can't see the point in checking them, if they don't move (gap) till what ever mileage.

Just curious.

In anticipation of this event, already have new iridium plugs, vac unit & red long life coolant;
Flame me now coz it should be "blue."
Old 11-28-2014, 09:47 AM
Site Contributor

I was told decades ago that "bucket & shim" valve adjusters were supposed to stay within tolerances far longer than "screw adjuster & locknut". Subsequently I started testing this 30 yrs ago.
I recently had my FIRST valve 'check / adjustment' done at 50, 000 miles On my K12R. It was reported to me by the dealership that not a single valve needed be "adjusted".

2006 K1200R 'Bebe'
Wunderlich/Rizoma handlebar conversion
Acerbis "Dual road" hand guards
K&N conical air filter
SW-MOTEC crash bars
VERY LOUD "Stebel" horn.
Oberon clutch slave cyl.
Moto-Zen levers
Pyramid hugger.

GONE
2014 Triumph Rocket III Roadster 'Prudence'
Heated grips
Kaoka cruise control
Sport shield/Fly screen
Big o'l chrome engine-bars w/ highway pegs.
CRAZY LOUD "Denali" air horn.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'FR1956' for this post:
Old 11-28-2014, 01:15 PM
Twisted Wrister

Mileage is the WORST way to figure when to adjust your valves. But since the manufacturer has no other way, mileage is what they use. Consider:
1) time at or near red line
2) oil type and change interval
3) time spent at high engine temperature
4) gasoline quality
as more important.
A Banzai runner exploring the upper end of the bike's potential will need valve adjustment long before a luggage toting commuter. Crappy gas will leave deposits.
I have had two adjustments and four checks in my 55K miles. But then again I see the high side of 150MPH pretty often.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'DOA' for this post:
Old 11-29-2014, 05:46 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I derive great satisfaction from doing my own maintenance. I've been working on cars, motorcycles and airplanes since I was a teenager, but I completely understand that tearing into a complex mechanical device is just not a viable option for some folks. I leave medical issues to the doctors for the same reason.

One big reason I like to take matters into my own hands is that I know the work was actually done, and done correctly. I have always wondered why maintenance shops have signs prohibiting customers from entering to watch what's going on. If I hire someone to do work, I feel entitled to witness it.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to '74mach' for this post:
Old 11-30-2014, 10:35 AM
Twisted Wrister

San Jose BMW has windows so you can watch without violating their insurance agreement.
Old 11-30-2014, 01:06 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOA
Mileage is the WORST way to figure when to adjust your valves. But since the manufacturer has no other way, mileage is what they use. Consider:
1) time at or near red line
2) oil type and change interval
3) time spent at high engine temperature
4) gasoline quality
as more important.
A Banzai runner exploring the upper end of the bike's potential will need valve adjustment long before a luggage toting commuter. Crappy gas will leave deposits.
I have had two adjustments and four checks in my 55K miles. But then again I see the high side of 150MPH pretty often.

In fact, numbers 2, and 4 have NO effect whatsoever on valve gap. In particular, gasoline "quality" is totally irrelevant. Number 1 is the only significant factor.

Note that the K1200GT originally had a "countdown to valve adjustment" readout, that tool mileage and average engine RPM into consideration. But they found this was more trouble than it was worth, and on later K1200 and all K1300 bikes, this feature was deleted and only mileage is now used.

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'RFW' for this post:
Old 12-01-2014, 12:03 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFW
In fact, numbers 2, and 4 have NO effect whatsoever on valve gap. In particular, gasoline "quality" is totally irrelevant. Number 1 is the only significant factor..
I will admit 2 and 4 are marginal considerations and added for completeness.
http://www.toptiergas.com/deposit_control.html
You can look up the results of those tests or just use a gas with Techron.
A small amount of your oil gets by the valve seals, again not much of a consideration.

The main point I am trying to make is that comparing valve adjustment with so little information as we supply here can be misleading.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:19 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

I think that Bob's point is that wear at the contact area between the valve seat and face is what will affect clearance at the shim/cam lobe interface. That area of the valve will not be subject to growth of deposits like the lower valve stem and adjacent area. High rpm, on the other hand, increases the velocity with which the valve closes against the seat. That can accelerate wear and change the valve clearance.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:05 PM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74mach
I think that Bob's point is that wear at the contact area between the valve seat and face is what will affect clearance at the shim/cam lobe interface.

You took the words out of my mouth!

Old 12-01-2014, 02:16 PM
Twisted Wrister

Exactly!
And your fuel and oil do have some effect on that wear.
Us elder riders remember the valve problems with removing lead from fuel. Of course today's harder seats are less prone to wear from bad fuel. But the wear is measurable. Oil is also a factor, again to a small degree, but measurable.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:25 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Hi There guys, I am new the forum and to I-BMW.. and I feel you guys could actually be of some help..

My K1200s (06 with 41666Miles/ 75000Km) on the ODO has developed a miss fire or "sputter" at low RPM. I have just replaced the spark plugs having thought it might be the cause of the "sputter". The "sputter" occurs at low RPM (1000- 2600RPM) then goes away. It starts first time in the mornings..

On buying the spark plugs on Saturday (31 Aug 14), the parts person told me it could be valve clearance. However, I still purchased the plugs.. as my logic tells me, should it be the valves the bike would not start easily from "cold"...

What else could the problem be? Dirty injectors(?) (However a faulty injector would mess me around at any RPM..?)

Your experience is valued in answering this question.. Please help..
I have an 05 k1200s with 35000 miles,hard at idle in first gear and would miss a beat around 2700 rams,went the whole route plugs,coil packs!!!,checked valves still with in specs,vacuumed pumped filled radiator. Was amazed she runs better than I've known her in my possession,smooth at idle and through the rpm s! So I believe it was the coil packs slowly getting worse breaking down. I feel validated and it helps my confidence to work on my own bike