I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S "Tires
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S "Tires Different tire-brands and suggestions

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 04-01-2014, 06:50 PM
Site Contributor

Michelin PS4 v M3

My first question.....
I'll need to replace my M3's soon, I've settled (nearly) on the new Michelin Power Pilot 4 rationale:
- Wet weather performance is my #1 priority. Its rains a lot in NZ and also, roads are average quality, often shaded etc. I don't punt it hard enough to ever test any good quality tyre in dry conditions.
- Mileage is secondary noting in NZ we just don't have that many straight roads to square tyres off and I use my bike for fun only - not commuting. I am enthusiastic - but can't see the K1300S making the track. (Got a separate toy for that)

But I'm real keen to maintain the turn in I get from the bike as it is now.

So - question is will I notice any real difference in handling with this change ex better grip.

I know there's as many views on tyres are their are members....but couldn't see anything on the Power Sport 4 versus M3 profile/handling.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:49 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,793 Times in 2,064 Posts

Re: Michelin PS4 v M3

I've ridden M3's and the PR3's and there is no comparison in comparing the confidence factor you get from the PR's. Turn in should be slightly better as well.

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jargon' for this post:
VKU
Old 04-02-2014, 11:15 AM
Site Contributor

Can't tell u how the PP are, but my orig M3's were toast at 4k. They weren't that great and not confidence inspiring in the wet. I also felt that I was using too much muscle with initial turn in. I went to Mich PR4's and the diff is amazing. Beautiful turn in, and with the recent rains here, great in the wet. They should also last quite a lot longer.
2005 Ducati 999-The I-talian Mistress-sold but missed
2004 KGT, Gen 1, Orient Blue
Old 04-02-2014, 11:19 AM
Dolt Commander
Thanked 4,392 Times in 2,203 Posts

Can't comment on the PR4's but in my opinion the PR3's are much better than the M3. When I burn the M3's off my bike I will be going back to the PR's.

Keyboard Hero!
A product of "unfortunate upbringing...”
Dolt, One of Five!

Find the official "non-official" 2018 Non-Invitational DGR Rally in Maggie Valley here!

Life is good!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'justjoe' for this post:
VKU
Old 04-02-2014, 11:52 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

1. The M3s were replaced by Metzeler by the M5 about 2 years ago.
  2. The PR3/4 is not comparable really to the M5.
  3. The PR3/4 is comparable to the Z8.
And on that basis, the Z8 is better than the PR3. (no test has been done by any of the major tyre test reviews of the PR4 vs competition AFAIK)
VKU
Old 04-02-2014, 03:22 PM
Site Contributor

Interesting....the Z8 was a close Plan B in my thinking. It seemed to rate very highly in wet weather testing (my #1 priority) It was the front tyre profile/shape that I was most interested in re turn in and handling in general. Any feedback on that element??

Thanks again for everyone's views....can't beat someone opinion who has tried them and are not trying to sell me something!

VU
Old 04-02-2014, 04:33 PM

The Z8 has a very round carcass profile that gives a very smooth transition left/right, and is exceptionally predictable on tip in and to the edge. I prefer the traditional/solid tread pattern of the Z8 compared to the design of PR3/4s: under heat and load, the siped tread pattern of the PR3/4 moves too much affecting handling. The PR3/4 is also quite 'flat' across the profile (the PR4 flatter than the PR3), and they don't offer the same handling responsiveness.

If you plan on riding mostly in straight lines, then the PR3/4 will be fine. If you ride twisties, then either the Z8 (or the AngelGT, perhaps, I have no experience of the AngelGT) is a better option imho.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:59 AM
Entering the on-ramp

A timely discussion for another Aucklander soon changing worn PR3's ('B' rating) on an 08 GT. To be frank, I have never really liked the PR3's though they are the only tyre I can remember on the GT. I commute every day and ride long on some weekends. I liked the BT020's on the LT better, more predictable in cornering, awesome in the wet. I may try the Z8's next, though commuting predominates by a long way unfortunately.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'longwayfromhome' for this post:
VKU
Old 04-26-2014, 05:02 AM
(Moderator) Tries to be slick but fails
Thanked 1,348 Times in 580 Posts

The M3 is old technology. Sportec M5 is my tyre of choice on my K1300S. Good in the wet and wears well. My OEM M3s were toast at 3,000 miles. M5 has been good for at least 4,500 on the rear.
BMW R90S
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Welshman' for this post:
VKU
Old 04-26-2014, 08:28 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,473 Times in 3,167 Posts

I'm about to install a set of PR4's - first time I've not put on a more sport oriented tire. Just trying to get a little more mileage out of a set of tires. If they prove to be somewhat lacking in performance (at least in my mind) they will not stay on very long - then completely reversing the reason I wanted them in the first place.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
VKU
Old 04-27-2014, 12:49 AM
Site Contributor

Cheers Folks,

As noted - I have no real interest in increased mileage. I'll be lucky to do a set a year and for few hundreds bucks....

And I assume in dry conditions, they will all adhere in a similar fashion, hence looking at wet weather performance and profile (re handling).

These things have been answered - and I'm down to personal preference. Whilst a bit nervous about some feedback of some squirming of the Michelin P4's in dry conditions - I'll give them a crack and see how I get on.

Thanks for your feedback. Vaughan
Old 05-03-2014, 03:12 AM

I went from the M3 to the PP3, improved everything (except maybe mileage, i'll get back to you on that) out of sight.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Austk' for this post:
VKU
Old 05-03-2014, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKU

These things have been answered - and I'm down to personal preference. Whilst a bit nervous about some feedback of some squirming of the Michelin P4's in dry conditions - I'll give them a crack and see how I get on.

That "feel" that everyone talks about from Michelin motorbike tyres is interesting and I did notice it a little, I think, but only really mid corner when giving the bike a fair bit, even then, I'm not sure if it was just in my mind.....
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Austk' for this post:
VKU
Old 05-03-2014, 09:09 AM
Shooting the gap

i prefer the "round" feeling of the metzelers ... here are your "theoretical" options:

http://www.metzeler.com/site/com/pro...Sportecm3.html
approved by bmw

http://www.metzeler.com/site/com/pro...-Interact.html
approved by bmw

http://www.metzeler.com/site/com/pro...Sportecm5.html
not approved by bmw

http://www.metzeler.com/site/com/pro...rtec-M7RR.html
not approved by bmw
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'JHB1984' for this post:
Old 05-03-2014, 10:37 AM
Getting up to speed

No contest, I'm on my second set of Michelin pr3's and they are without doubt the best tyres I've ever had ,great in wet and dry and great mileage .

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'stormbringer' for this post:
VKU
Old 05-04-2014, 06:03 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Send a message via Skype™ to leeski09

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKU
Whilst a bit nervous about some feedback of some squirming of the Michelin P4's in dry conditions

Mmmm, Im now 1k+ into my PR4's. And Only 3 1/2 months into my first K13S. SO just the last few days ive manged to get some spirited riding in and whilst i am no knee down junkie and still have some small chicken strips (which may or may not stay the life of the tyre) i noticed on quite a few bends the little twitch on the back end. Everso slight positive throttle through the bend with good posture and technique. I assumed it was a small damp or greasy spot but it occurred more and more. Not enough for my TC to light up, and no enough for me to have to react aggressively either.

Any thoughts? COuld it be right on the compound change line that i am feeling this? Never ever felt it on the PR2 or 3 on my VFR 800 Vtec.
KTM EXC 350-F - current
2013 Aprilia Tuono V4R APRC - gone
2009 Honda VFR 800 VTEC - gone
2009 Suzuki GSX650F - gone
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'leeski09' for this post:
VKU
Old 05-04-2014, 05:23 PM
Site Contributor

I ran PP3's on my SV1000 and had no issues...and I did a few track days with them (which is the only way I'm brave enough to completely kill off the chicken strips!). BUT, I do notice the K1300S shift the rear every now and then on transition into a corner...not a lot, but noticeable and I haven't worked out a pattern to why yet. Wondered if it was a shaft drive thing...certainly not a traction issue though. It's taking me longer than expected to wear down these M3's....need more riding eh! Thanks for feedback. VU
Old 05-04-2014, 05:38 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,793 Times in 2,064 Posts

Lee, FWIW, I've felt the little twitch from time to time also on the PR3's mounted on my KRS...clean dry roads...could never figure out why either.

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 05-05-2014, 01:46 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Thanks for the response guys,

Yes, again today, warm dry roads, long fast bends with Shell-Grip surface (the best thing ever) and still i get a twitch / wobble. I went through the bedns several times, monitoring everything about my riding - throttle, weight, lines..... all good, very good in fact. When i look at me rear tyre, and mine are only 2 months old with 1500 miles, theres a slight deviation in the curved contour. A bit like when a tyre gets squared off, but i ride easy on straights and use lots of curves to keep consistency in a tyre. SO im guessing the profile is just 'off-round' and thats the feel im getting. Anyone agree?

Once i move to SPain in June / Aug, i switch tho a sport tyre and be able to compare.
KTM EXC 350-F - current
Old 06-21-2014, 08:15 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

My Metzlers were squared off before 4k miles and I made the switch to PR4's this weekend. I'll report back once I get some more miles on the Michelins.
'12 K1300S HP #408
IBA #55796
Old 06-22-2014, 01:47 AM
Site Contributor

Thanks and look forward to your feedback.

Interestingly, my original M3's are wearing at the back in a really even way. The front not so much. Driving on the left in NZ with road camber, I have a squared off right front more than the left and there's now a noticeable ridge in the centre of the tyre....it's falling into corners now in a non linear fashion...I've done 8500k's.
I'm brisk without being "knee dragger".
10,000k service loam's, new tryes all round then - suspect P4's on my shopping list. That'll be a few weeks away just riding week ends - so your feed back is gratefully received!

VU
Old 06-22-2014, 10:07 PM

I have been using Pr4's for the last 4500 miles two up. We have been on a mix of straight and curved roads with a great feel for the road with terrific grip in the dry. Our use in the rain has been very little on our 4500 mile trip. We used the PR 3's before and hit heavy rain on downhill curves with no movement from our intended track. The Pr 4's are supposed to be as good. So our next set will be another set of PR 4's. better turn in, mileage and traction. Price fair for the PR4 GT tires on the K1300GT. We ride it warm to hot in the curves according to our children who say where are the chicken strips of the past? Smaller as we have more confidence on the tires on one great handling bike, loaded and dry.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'frankr' for this post:
VKU
Old 10-02-2014, 05:41 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Since im heading down to Spain with the mighty K, i have switch to Dunlop Sportsmarts... only just scrubbed them in and this week been playing with my new toy, Tuono V4r APRC - Sure SP will respect that choice! - Anyway, so far so good, a totally different feel to the PR4's and immediately felt secure right over.
I wont be pushing the limits till i get to warm sticky roads on Tuesday morning with a 2 day ride to the south coast.... watch this space.
KTM EXC 350-F - current
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'leeski09' for this post:
Old 10-02-2014, 07:41 AM
Getting up to speed

I've had PR4'S on my K1300s for the last 3500 miles and all is well ,
I have Pirelli SC's on my RSV mainly track use with a bit of road work.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:21 PM
Site Contributor

So - made a rash last minute decision to go with Z8's. The thing that pushed me over the edge was nothing more sophisticated than German bike with German tyres noting the amount of strong endorsement from a number of brands. I figured I couldn't go wrong with a number of options.
Done around 2000k's now so well scrubbed in and beautiful feel to them. That said, my old ones were garbage so it was always going to feel transformation.
Now waiting for the weather to warm up so I can get more comfy in killing off the rear chicken strips completely...
New tyres for my SV1000 needed soon too - mainly used for track days. The research will begin again no doubt!
VU