I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S "Tires
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S "Tires Different tire-brands and suggestions

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 01-18-2015, 12:28 PM
Twisted Wrister

New Pirelli Angel GT's - what tire pressure?

I'm about to replace the first set of tires (2900 miles...) on my 2015 K1300s with Angel GT's.

Anyone feel the need to use different pressures than the stock M3's? (36/42).

Myself, I like a bit more pressure in the front than recommended, as it seems to improve steering accuracy/feel in the curves, so I am running 38/42 for now.

Craig
Old 01-18-2015, 10:34 PM
Thanked 2,070 Times in 1,417 Posts

Re: New Pirelli Angel GT's - what tire pressure?

Hi Craig

I think you can use the same pressure in both M3 or Angels without problems or differences.

You use 37/42. But you think is a bit high,, but is almost the recommended pressure...

Old 01-18-2015, 11:44 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via MSN to loubre

Hi Craig, I'm about to put my 3rd set of Pirelli Angel GTs (A spec) on the 16, I have found they do like one or two psi over the recommended on the front, atm I'm running 44/42, recommended is 42/42, seems to just feel better to me but it maybe just my imagination lol
FarRider #912
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200RT
2013 F800R - GONE
2013 K1600GT Montego Blue - GONE
2012 K1300R SE Satin Black - GONE
To be old and wise you must first have been young and stupid!
Old 02-07-2015, 01:36 PM
Twisted Wrister

I went on a nice high-speed run to Prescott and back a few days ago. (Several good twistie sections, including 10 miles of good canyon-type curves on that route). Bike performed fantastic with 38 front, 42 rear. Foot dragging multiple times and yet I could still easily make small adjustments to the steering. Not something I could do with my 85 K100RS (and its stock suspension). Have about 1/8-1/4 inch chicken strips left on the rear, more on the front. Not sure I feel like experimenting with other pressures now as the bike felt so good.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:23 PM
Shooting the gap

Hi Craig, Based on my experience of running 38Fr/42Rr PSI on my '99 BMW R1100S on Pirelli Angel ST/GT as well as Metzeler Z8 I'm running the same pressure on my K1300S.

I bought my '11 K13S in AUG2016. It had only 1148 miles and was wearing the OE Metzeler Sportec M3's. I left them in place and added ~3400 Miles to them and they're about done now. Granted they're over 6 years old and likely dried out versus new but I don't like the M3s versus the Angel GTs...they feel "wooden" and don't inspire secure confidence in the curves.

So yesterday I ordered a set of Angel GTs (Non A-Spec) and I'm looking forward to putting them on in early April in time for the 2017 Riding season. I'll also be adding a set of Riser Plates to the Rear Suspension in hopes the handling approaches the level I enjoyed on my R1100S (had Wilbers Suspension F/R).

And for sure I'll continue to run 38Fr/42Rr PSI as I agree with you that it "improve steering accuracy/feel in the curves". I could always feel when the pressure dropped ~2 to 3 PSI as the bike was ever so slightly resisting being leaned over.

Lastly, the one characteristic I really like about the Angel GTs is that they don't fade away after the initial "Honeymoon" period like some other brands I've tried...they're consistently good up to the end when the wear bars are touched.
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, High Beam LEDs, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler. Color: Red/Black.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:28 AM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,813 Times in 2,082 Posts

D, you'll be amazed at what the risers do for your handling.

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 01-31-2017, 09:13 AM
... ...

Interesting! Thanks R111. After getting a second puncture recently, I've opted for a full set of Angel GTs. Quite liking them. With 36 the front is tending to walk a bit. I'll pump mine up tomoz to the 38 you say and see if that gets me a better feel. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2017, 05:29 PM
Twisted Wrister

I've since tried other tire pressures than stock and 38/42.

Based on a long history of running higher than stock air pressures (and high speeds), I'm not afraid to kick things up to say 45/50, though for now I think the highest I've tried is 44/48.

To me, riding a 2015 K1300s MS, the stock front pressure of 36 just is too low. The bike has to be pushed into low speed turns, or it 'squirms' a bit in low speed turns in a way that is kind of non-linear and disconcerting (hard to predict). I wonder if a lot of people think the Hossack suspension is the cause of that? It's not, because adding 2 psi in the front transforms the bike. It's almost like the difference between changing out a worn set of tires for new ones.

Beside smoothly and predictably turning/leaning where you want and expect it to at lower speeds, the steering precision at higher speeds is also improved. When you have one tire-width-wide strip of clean pavement in a curve otherwise marred by sand or gravel, it's nice to be able to put the tires right where they need to go.

Adding more pressure to the front (up into the low 40's) makes the bike even more precise. I haven't got risers, but I have a feeling the difference may be similar. But 80% of the difference happens by the time you get to 38 or 39 psi.

As to the rear, I've really not noticed any difference between 42, 44, and 48. Or even 40 when I've let the rear get a bit low. So I generally just leave the rear at the stock 42psi.

Guys, you should try this. Put 42 psi in the front and read, and take the bike down a curvy road you know well. Then bleed down to 38/42 for a while. Then take it down to stock for the ride back, and I'll bet you notice a difference.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:02 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jargon
D, you'll be amazed at what the risers do for your handling.

You know it Jargon! Based on comments from you and others here I'm very much looking forward to exchanging these two pieces of metal. My riding Buds and I usually speed up for curves (typically 2x the recommended speed on the Shields here in the Midwestern States).

Our weekend trips out of the Corn and Bean Fields of Central Illinois usually end up in the Swerverage (/swərv-ər-ij/ Noun = smooth, hilly, curvy tarmac with little traffic) of Southwest Wisconsin, Southern Missouri and Northern Arkansas.
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, High Beam LEDs, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler. Color: Red/Black.