I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Chit-Chat A GENERAL, BMW bike (or other) forum for off topic discussions that may not fit elsewhere

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 06-21-2018, 12:34 PM
Founder, I-BMW & Huge HD Fan
Thanked 1,517 Times in 827 Posts

Send a message via MSN to vics Send a message via Yahoo to vics Send a message via Skype™ to vics
No 'free' soup for you, High Court: Online shoppers can be forced to pay sales tax

https://apnews.com/332abb7455cb4b60b...-pay-sales-tax

WASHINGTON (AP) — States will be able to force shoppers to pay sales tax when they make online purchases under a Supreme Court decision Thursday that will leave shoppers with lighter wallets but is a big win for states.
More than 40 states had asked the high court to overrule two, decades-old Supreme Court decisions that they said cost them billions of dollars in lost revenue annually. The decisions made it more difficult for states to collect sales tax on certain online purchases.

On Thursday, the Supreme Court agreed to overturn those decisions in a 5-4 ruling. The cases the court overturned said that if a business was shipping a customer’s purchase to a state where the business didn’t have a physical presence such as a warehouse or office, the business didn’t have to collect the state’s sales tax. Customers were generally responsible for paying the sales tax to the state themselves if they weren’t charged it, but most didn’t realize they owed it and few paid.
Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
See the "Donate" link on the NavBar in the middle of every page! Thanks!
Old 06-21-2018, 01:11 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,750 Times in 2,792 Posts

Re: No 'free' soup for you: High Court: Online shoppers can be forced to pay sales tax

It's interesting, particularly in view of the 5-4 majority of the court writing the opinion, the justices on each side of the decision deviated from traditional alignment of justices that usually show up in divided decisions.

This time the majority was made up of Anthony Kennedy (mostly a moderate conservative who usually is the swing vote in closely decided cases) Clarence Thomas (always conservative), Ruth Bader Ginsburg, (always liberal) Samuel Alito, (always conservative) and Neil Gorsuch, (at least so far conservative.)

The dissenting justices, Chief Justice John Roberts (predictably conservative) Justices Stephen Breyer, (generally liberal) Elena Kagan (always liberal) and Sonia Sotomayor (always liberal).

And of the 45 states that presently collect sales tax and there were 40 states that joined the case and supported the idea of making sales tax collectable. I expect, and have observed that sales tax rates creep ever higher, and I also expect that even if states coffer's swell as a result of the additional revenue this decision will allow, sales tax rates won't go down.

I've not read the majority decision, but I also wonder if it will result in the concept of one state's court's having jurisdiction (power) will expand over persons or businesses that are not or do not have a physical presence in that state??? Generally, if you lack a physical presence in a state, the court's of that state cannot force you to defend yourself in a court of a state where you do not have physical presence (this is an oversimplified explanation) - again I wonder if this case will wind up expanding the concept of "personal jurisdiction."

Ancient Chinese curse, "May you live in interesting times."
Old 06-21-2018, 01:34 PM
Entering the on-ramp
Thanked 1,560 Times in 794 Posts

Re: No 'free' soup for you: High Court: Online shoppers can be forced to pay sales tax

So Craig if I buy a Remus exhaust from you on Ebay who would be responsible to collect the tax? Ebay even though technically they aren't the seller?
Old 06-21-2018, 01:47 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnrip
So Craig if I buy a Remus exhaust from you on Ebay who would be responsible to collect the tax? Ebay even though technically they aren't the seller?

A very fine question Wes, I suppose the seller would be responsible for collecting and remitting the sales tax. Yet, at least here in CA, you'd need a seller's permit in order to have the ability to communicate with the State Board of Equalization that collects sales tax. Perhaps ebay will come up with a way to deal with it. (The Astros still suck though )
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'CJS350' for this post:
Old 06-21-2018, 04:59 PM
Getting up to speed

Re: No 'free' soup for you, High Court: Online shoppers can be forced to pay sales tax

How will this effect companies like Amazon in USA? Amazon has problems shipping to Australia because of new sales tax collection laws.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:56 PM
Twisted Wrister

Re: No 'free' soup for you, High Court: Online shoppers can be forced to pay sales tax

We all hate to pay, but this has been killing small towns ever since the internet and mail order took off.

Hopefully you will either pay your states tax or the state that the goods are coming from taxes. So as not to make it another government retail nightmare.

Sales tax should really decrease as it is collected for more sales. See I am still funny
Old 06-21-2018, 06:38 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCharles
How will this effect companies like Amazon in USA? Amazon has problems shipping to Australia because of new sales tax collection laws.

Amazon for orders into California has been charging sales tax. I believe that Amazon has physical presence in many states due to warehouses, and consequently has been subject to sales tax in those states where it already has physical presence. Now to the extent that states pass legislation to collect sales tax on interstate sales, all online retailers in the US will have to collect and remit sales tax.

You can bet that in those states that do not already have legislation permitting sales tax on interstate online sales, they will very, very soon.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'CJS350' for this post:
Old 06-21-2018, 07:06 PM
Thanked 1,403 Times in 791 Posts

The same thing has just happened here in Australia. Previously you could buy stuff off the net and if under AUD1000 there was no Goods and Services Tax (gst). This was around 11%. One of the major retailers winged and winged until the government put gst on everything. The same issues arise. Who has the capacity to monitor and collect the tax. Customs aren’t happy. I guess it will be pot luck if your article gets targeted for gst collection.

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
Old 06-21-2018, 10:58 PM
Site Contributor
Thanked 1,365 Times in 851 Posts

Question Re: No 'free' soup for you, High Court: Online shoppers can be forced to pay sales tax

AND....

What about local county and city taxes????
Old 06-22-2018, 09:38 AM
Shooting the gap

is the party finally over? They are removing the sweetest thing about buying online. In Canada legit vendors always charge tax regardless of province of origin but the US on ebay was a delight.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:59 AM
Entering the on-ramp
Thanked 1,560 Times in 794 Posts

I heard somewhere that Trump was going to make Mexico pay the tax.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Capnrip' for this post:
BMW
Old 06-23-2018, 06:25 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,146 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capnrip
I heard somewhere that Trump was going to make Mexico pay the tax.

AFTER they pay for the wall!!

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Louis' for this post:
Old 06-23-2018, 07:27 AM
Smile, tomorrow could be worse

It shouldn’t affect us in NH; we have no sales tax. Or is it the state that sells that taxes if shipped here??
Old 06-23-2018, 07:12 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

Send a message via Skype™ to chilei

I find this interesting from the enforcement aspect.

States have sales tax, counties, cities, etc...

This means that a seller must know the tax rate of nearly every community in the USA, rates which change quite regularly. Rates which apply differently between locations... some charge tax for everything, some exempt clothing, some exempt goods which are consumed immediately, some exempt consumables, etc...

It is indeed going to be interesting.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
Old 06-23-2018, 11:24 PM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Speaking as a business owner, it has long been a cluster fuck and will continue to be so. If you want to encourage small business then this needs to get clarified and simplified ASAP. We are quickly headed towards the UK & Euro VAT model, but maybe that isn't a bad thing. If in doubt, charge your home state tax and let the states fight it out over portions. Ridiculous to think that small buisnesses can file salex tax in every state they ship to. It used to be quarterly, but due to the states wanting their pound of flesh quicker it is quickly tripped in to monthly

A few examples of the cluster fuck:

I had a foreign registered vessel in transit in CA that needed some VHF radios. The radios were purchased and shipped from a company in WA who charged us the sales tax. Now why is that? We're tax exempt for resale and the goods were dropped shipped in. We eventually got the tax back, but it was a huge time sink.

If we ship to anywhere other than CT, MA and RI we have not been obligated to collect sales tax. Why is that? Well, those three states have a "tri-state" pact, again to make sure they get their pound of flesh. Our solution, it is F.O.B. RI and they get the sales tax.

And the only thing that proves you have shipped out of state is a common carrier bill of lading so better keep good records on that stuff. You absolutely cannot take a chance with sales tax because if you screw up it isn't just the tax you didn't pay. The interest and penalties are what will do you in.

It will be interesting to see what www.bhphotovideo.com does, those guys don't charge sales tax on anything shipped out of NYC. If they suddenly start charging sales tax then it is time we all do...

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 06-24-2018, 12:52 PM
DOWN TO SKIN AND BONE

For every new tax collected, a revenue collector's job gets a pay decrease.

Government leaches need to be made to feel our pain.

They pay taxes too? Has anyone got an IRS agent for a friend? How about a tax collector who has been audited.

The Supreme Court is beginning to really irritate me... nothing in our private lives goes untouched, right down to the your local cake maker.

Just now listening to some congressional scum on Fox News trying to make Internet Sales Tax a good thing. There is no good tax. There is no good Congressman. They probably ride Vespas. No more waves to Vespa riders.

Screw it! I need to go run the John Deere around the yard... probably have a lawn cutting tax man parachute down and do me in.

hanzosrevenge.blogspot.com

BMW '09 K1300S
BMW '14 R1200GS
Holy Tread-wear Batman!
Old 06-24-2018, 01:32 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZATO
For every new tax collected, a revenue collector's job gets a pay decrease.

Government leaches need to be made to feel our pain.

They pay taxes too? Has anyone got an IRS agent for a friend? How about a tax collector who has been audited.

The Supreme Court is beginning to really irritate me... nothing in our private lives goes untouched, right down to the your local cake maker.

Just now listening to some congressional scum on Fox News trying to make Internet Sales Tax a good thing. There is no good tax. There is no good Congressman. They probably ride Vespas. No more waves to Vespa riders.

Screw it! I need to go run the John Deere around the yard... probably have a lawn cutting tax man parachute down and do me in.

I can claim that I speak as an expert here, after all, I’m a Quebecer, taxed to the real maximum, on everything one can think of. (As a mere exemple, there are 5 different taxes on every single liter of gazoline )

But guys’, your’e broke America owes money to everyone and his sister. King Doritos used fallacious Security reasons to impose tarifs on cdn steel and aluminum. (Avoiding congress )
These tarifs, seen from USA, are actually a new tax, that feds collect.
So welcome in the high tax country Club.
But don’t worry, the wealthy will get wealthier anyhow
Keep faith
Old 06-25-2018, 12:20 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

Send a message via Skype™ to chilei

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILHEAD
I can claim that I speak as an expert here, after all, I’m a Quebecer, taxed to the real maximum, on everything one can think of. (As a mere exemple, there are 5 different taxes on every single liter of gazoline )

But guys’, your’e broke America owes money to everyone and his sister. King Doritos used fallacious Security reasons to impose tarifs on cdn steel and aluminum. (Avoiding congress )
These tarifs, seen from USA, are actually a new tax, that feds collect.
So welcome in the high tax country Club.
But don’t worry, the wealthy will get wealthier anyhow
Keep faith
The problem in the USA is that both parties are essentially spending machines. There is no real call for accountability, citizens are being told that debt doesn't matter yet they know it is HUGE in their own lives. We have a large ideology which votes for things that they don't follow in their own lives for this reason. There are zero people who live as liberals, it simply can't be done because it would require people to be able to go in debt by around 35-50% of their annual income each year and do that as routine. Well, in their lives it would only take about two years for the money to dry up. Lets not forget that to live as a liberal that 35-50% would all go into a pot with more of the annual pay in order to just give it away to random people. So it is clearly unsustainable.

Our constitution gives the federal government exactly 18 powers, the voters are not taught the constitution anymore because teaching it would allow people to know their rights and government limits. A government over people who don't know their rights is a government which can control the people by asserting what rights people do or do not have at it's leisure.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'chilei' for this post:
Old 06-27-2018, 01:32 PM

Send a message via MSN to vics Send a message via Yahoo to vics Send a message via Skype™ to vics

Quote:
But guys’, your’e broke America owes money to everyone and his sister.
Broke? compared to whom? Every country owes one another and Trump's looking to repatriate ultimately $2.5 Trillion parked offshore (already got a record $300B of it since inauguration) while making trade deficits fair (finally) and while its gonna possibly hurt here short term, negotiations via imposition of tariffs on countries that have had it coming to them for far too long will negotiate with the USA, ultimately stabilizing on a compromised goal nobody likes - though it will be far better than the current unfair trade scenarios past administrations in this country have 'negotiated' in the past

"Winning"
Learn something or simply find entertainment on i-bmw? Then why not consider supporting us via a donation?
Old 06-27-2018, 04:41 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vics
Broke? compared to whom? Every country owes one another and Trump's looking to repatriate ultimately $2.5 Trillion parked offshore (already got a record $300B of it since inauguration) while making trade deficits fair (finally) and while its gonna possibly hurt here short term, negotiations via imposition of tariffs on countries that have had it coming to them for far too long will negotiate with the USA, ultimately stabilizing on a compromised goal nobody likes - though it will be far better than the current unfair trade scenarios past administrations in this country have 'negotiated' in the past

"Winning"
Whatever you say
But you are still broke
And it does not help when it’s time to negociate
Fortunately, you have the King of negociators

Old 06-27-2018, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Whatever you say
But you are still broke
And it does not help when it’s time to negociate Fortunately, you have the King of negociators

Again 'broke' compared to who or whom?

Now to be fair, as some dolt (or keyboard hero 'hater' as it is) will, while sitting in his underwear, Google 'country debt' and believe that's the answer, (you can't), you've got to parse GDP & debt together to process a realistic ratio value and here it is:

And to underscore/ validate or legitimize the 'Why are Canadians obsessed with America so much" aspect of this and other behavioral anomalies observed here over the decades from our sisters to the north:

** It’s the 35th consecutive time since the ranking began 35 years ago that Canada was ranked number 1. North Korea and Russia round out the top 3, with a large gap in scores separating the top 3 from the world’s other countries. Claiming the bottom spot for the 35th year in a row was the US, whom researchers described as “firmly not giving a shit about what anyone thinks”.