I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S" Accessories
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S" Accessories Chit-chat of 'must have' items and 'add-on's'. NOTE: Please use the Classifieds section if you have items For Sale or WTB!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 02-06-2014, 12:34 AM
Living the Dream

Remus Hexacone Long Term Review

Hi Folks,

I thought I would write up my impressions of my Remus Hexacone slip on (titanium), that I installed on my K1300S.

Weight and size: It is a whole lot lighter and smaller than the stock can. I did not weigh it but the difference is dramatic.

Fit and Finish: It is an extremely well manufactured and bolted straight onto the bike with absolutely no issues whatsoever. The carbon fiber end caps integrate well into the can. The bracket that connects it to the hanger connects to the can with two screws that fit into slots rather than round holes in the bracket to allow easy fitment. When installing the can to the exhaust you need a heat resistant paste to get a good seal. I used an old can of copper kote anti seize compound that I have had for 30 years, it is good to something like 1800deg. It worked like a charm.

ECU Reset: After installing it I performed the standard ECU reset by disconnecting the battery for a couple of hours, then after reconnecting it turning the ignition to the on position and fully opening and closing the throttle 3 times followed by shutting off the ignition.

Sound: Sweet. IMO the stock can has a great bark to it but is a little shallow. The Remus has a much deeper tone to it and is significantly louder under heavy acceleration. In certain situations when you use the shift assist it lets out deep, loud, angry grunt that sounds like a cross between a blackpowder cannon and a formula 1 car backfiring! It does this best when under moderately heavy acceleration shifting from 2-3 or 3-4 between 5-9krpm. Great for passing Harleys and Mustangs with their windows open.

Seat of the Pants Performance: I put about 13,000 km on the bike last season most of it with the Remus installed, however I switched back and forth between the stock can and the Hexcone a number of times to see if I could tell the difference. To be completely honest I could detect absolutely no difference in power or performance. It is possible that there is a very slight reduction in throttle response with the Remus, but very hard to tell.

Comfort and Ride: Thre is no question that the stock can is a little smoother than the Remus Hexacone. I believe this is strictly a matter that the exhaust pulses are much more heavily damped in the stock can so there is less harmonic resonance and the stock can is much heavier so it absorbs the resonance much better. However this really has no impact on comfort or ride.

Reliability:In one season I have had zero issues with it. I bolted it on using a little blue loctite on the fasteners and it has remained 100% tight.

Overall Rating:Great can for quality, looks and sound. No difference in performance that I can tell. I Highly recommend it.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'K13Mike' for this post:
Old 02-06-2014, 01:53 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,527 Times in 3,208 Posts

Re: Remus Hexacone Long Term Review

Mike:

Great review. Your experience with the Remus is spot on in my opinion.

The only reason I would change the can(only did it on my K1200S)is for ease of rear wheel removal.

I don't like the extra noise - I kind of like the stealth mode myself. I honestly believe I've not been bagged several times because the bike is quite.

I personally don't need any more performance out of my bike for street riding.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'brucev' for this post:
Old 02-06-2014, 02:19 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,580 Times in 1,210 Posts

More, I too have had one on my bike for three years. When I bought it I did a dyno test. The bike with the baffle in was 149 HP. With the baffle out 154.5 HP. Torque just a tiny bit more all along. One of the few pipes that does create more hp. I also tested with a fuel additive from the old days, Blendzall.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...qD fgod9VgAKQ
Mainly used as a two cycle lube or a top end lube years back. But it added a half hp and that is really not significant. Smells like the old days though, and helps with a couple of MPG. Love the Remus. The best way to get one on the West Coast is to go to a rally and have a beer or two. The seek out the Remus folks. The fellow and his wife are really nice. Easy to drop a few hundred dollars.
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:47 AM
Living the Dream

Good point about the rear wheel removal Bruce, that is a nice outcome of adding it if you do your own tire changing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
Mike:

Great review. Your experience with the Remus is spot on in my opinion.

The only reason I would change the can(only did it on my K1200S)is for ease of rear wheel removal.

I don't like the extra noise - I kind of like the stealth mode myself. I honestly believe I've not been bagged several times because the bike is quite.

I personally don't need any more performance out of my bike for street riding.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:53 AM
Living the Dream

I have not taken my baffle out Beech, I think 149 at the rear wheel, depending on the dyno has got to be a few HP over stock and not noticeable to me when riding.

Out of curiosity, do you recall from your pull where that extra 5.5HP showed up on your power curve after removing the baffle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
More, I too have had one on my bike for three years. When I bought it I did a dyno test. The bike with the baffle in was 149 HP. With the baffle out 154.5 HP. Torque just a tiny bit more all along. One of the few pipes that does create more hp. I also tested with a fuel additive from the old days, Blendzall.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...qD fgod9VgAKQ
Mainly used as a two cycle lube or a top end lube years back. But it added a half hp and that is really not significant. Smells like the old days though, and helps with a couple of MPG. Love the Remus. The best way to get one on the West Coast is to go to a rally and have a beer or two. The seek out the Remus folks. The fellow and his wife are really nice. Easy to drop a few hundred dollars.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:44 AM
Getting up to speed

yeah...love the Remus pipe (without baffle)!

The bike gained plenty of attitude. I especially love the "pop" when quick-shifting and "burble" on engine-braking!
Old 02-07-2014, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epi

The bike gained plenty of attitude. I especially love the "pop" when quick-shifting and "burble" on engine-braking!

Oh yea, that formula 1 pop on the shift is great.
S1000R
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Site Contributor

Yeh......I got to listen to that "Pop" at the last two years SGR rallies, while I've been trying to keep up with you . It does sound good though . I'll look forward to seeing you in September for some more fast moving "popping" fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epi

Old 10-31-2014, 09:45 AM
Getting up to speed

I just got a Remus and haven't installed it yet.
Is the ECU reset a must or merely a recommendation?
Old 10-31-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chulla10
I just got a Remus and haven't installed it yet.
Is the ECU reset a must or merely a recommendation?
No, the changes it makes are within the ECU capabilities to deal with. I took mine to a dyno and tested with the baffle in and with it out. Gained 5 HP with it out. Stock was 149.5 at rear wheel, with remus and baffle out it went to 154 something.
I put the stock silencer back on the other day. While I like it for stealth riding, with ear plugs in I could not here the bike build rpm taking off from stops and could not judge the correct rpm. Funny, didn't take time to get use to it, just put the Remus back on.
S1000R
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 12-10-2016, 04:46 PM

Well it is a sad time, you can't buy these any longer. No DOT certification. (that HP increase was at the same peak as the stock, around 9300 if I remember correctly. I agree the bike is a tad smoother with the stock pipe, maybe that is just foolishness because it is so quiet. I put the stock pipe back on for a month. It has its place in life. My S bike is so much louder than the K with the Remus that I don't worry about noise anymore.
S1000R
Old 12-10-2016, 07:47 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,390 Posts

Ditto! We have the same exhaust and love it.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:11 PM
Twisted Wrister

DOT or EPA approval? What was the basis? 3/4s of the stuff in Jeg's and Summitt catalogs are worse, and I hear Harleys with a more obnoxious sound on a daily basis.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:50 PM
Thanked 1,440 Times in 814 Posts

I agree with you on the Remus Mike.. I have a stainless steel one on my k12R and as already been said the weight saving and access to the rear wheel is a vast improvement. I still have the silencer though but even tho' they supposedly never need repacking I have noticed an increase in noise. I rode my mate's K13R with the silencer removed and found it too loud, however the use of the quickshifter was intoxicating.

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
Old 12-11-2016, 03:14 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Howdy
I agree with you on the Remus Mike.. I have a stainless steel one on my k12R and as already been said the weight saving and access to the rear wheel is a vast improvement. I still have the silencer though but even tho' they supposedly never need repacking I have noticed an increase in noise. I rode my mate's K13R with the silencer removed and found it too loud, however the use of the quickshifter was intoxicating.
I spoke with the Remus guys at the Moto expo and they too said the pipe never needs repacking. ..but I reckon mine has got louder and is annoying without the small baffle in there