I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > General Discussions > Motorcycle Gear , Accessories & Apparel > Jackets
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Jackets Different brands, experiences, etc. NOTE: Please use the Classifieds section if you have items For Sale or WTB!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 02-03-2019, 02:42 PM
Getting up to speed

Rukka down liners

The Rukka Nivala jacket and trousers come with a duck down liner jacket and trousers.
You can now buy them as stand alone items to wear under any jacket trouser combination as mid layers and they are extremely warm .
The down side (pun intended) is the cost .
The top is 189 and the legins 129 .
However very similar products (90% duck down 10% feather) are available in the sales at the moment .
I have just bought a top from Debenhams for 27 in there 70% off sale .
Having worn it I can say it works as well as my Rukka down jacket .
Companies such as Graghopper ,Jack wolfskin and.many others sell duck down tops .
There are also down like tops which also work well .

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'stormbringer' for this post:
HDF
Old 02-06-2019, 02:03 PM
Site Contributor

Re: Rukka down liners

Using down for insulation can work well but it inevitably looses its insulative quality over time due to shifting and bunching. And after washing its virtually impossible to get the down completely redistributed. Then there is the problems of lost insulation quality and of drying it out once it gets wet. On a road trip that can be a problem. IMHO, synthetics are the way to go. Helly Hansen, or another quality brand, expedition weight long underway is far superior to down. Again, just my opinion.

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s

Past BMWs
09 k13s, 06 k12s, 05k12s, 86 k11rs, 74 r90s