I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > Relax Zone > Chit-Chat > Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Live Polls - Motorcycle/Site Related Let your opinion be known!

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Poll: Have you ever hit a deer?
Poll Options
Have you ever hit a deer?

Old 08-01-2014, 11:00 AM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

Re: Have you ever hit a deer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
HOLY SH!T... not too many have hit a small bear. Normally these things move much slower from side-of-road than the deer do.

Glad you are OK!

Yeah...next time I'll take Louis there. He can go first.... A couple weeks before that in the same area there was a much bigger one and same as the little one, right after a blind curve. The big one scampered up the cliff. Little one shot straight at me.

I had a bit of a warning, saw him in the ditch but all I could see was the head. Hard to see how big they are if just from the head and had I braked, I would have stopped within a few feet of him. Had I seen that he was a small one I would have stopped and stood my ground. But I couldn't tell until too late.....I did my best to stay up and ride him.

Neither heard me coming.....I need a louder bike or do like in some countries honk at every turn.

Exciting and sure an adrenaline rush.BTW I must have been braking at the same time, got an ABS fault after that:

16769: Internal control module error. Slip duration too long during regulation.
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
Old 08-01-2014, 11:06 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,150 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbegin@burton
Yeah...next time I'll take Louis there. He can go first.... A couple weeks before that in the same area there was a much bigger one and same as the little one, right after a blind curve. The big one scampered up the cliff. Little one shot straight at me.

I had a bit of a warning, saw him in the ditch but all I could see was the head. Hard to see how big they are if just from the head and had I braked, I would have stopped within a few feet of him. Had I seen that he was a small one I would have stopped and stood my ground. But I couldn't tell until too late.....I did my best to stay up and ride him.

Neither heard me coming.....I need a louder bike or do like in some countries honk at every turn.

Exciting and sure an adrenaline rush.BTW I must have been braking at the same time, got an ABS fault after that:

16769: Internal control module error. Slip duration too long during regulation.

Yeah... I always get the "plumb" assignments...

Oh well... what would I do for a friend...

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 08-05-2014, 09:34 PM
A skeptic and a pragmatist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis
Yeah... I always get the "plumb" assignments...

Oh well... what would I do for a friend...

Lets go...I'll eat your dust, I don't have a problem with that. Just got my leave too, one more week and no more work until November. That means I'll be home and can make Apple Maple pie before the bears prune my trees. Bring back some syrup....
Honda CB750F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
85 BMW K100RS at 28 (Very nice and sorely missed)
90 BMW R100GS at 34 (Too slow, too cranky)
2003 K1200 RS at 53 (Oh Yeah......over 6000RPM)
Old 09-28-2014, 09:41 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Hitting A Deer

That's nothing.

Try a Kangaroo.

Fully grown these fellas can reach 8Ft plus when standing on the back legs and they are all muscle.

Stress management at it's best.

Honda K750
Honda CB350
Yamaha XS1100
Honda VTX1800
BMW R1100RT (Deceased)
BMW K1200RS/GT
BMW R1150GS 2000 Model

Last edited by bernardo : 10-29-2014 at 07:05 PM. Reason: add full frame picture
Old 11-08-2014, 01:15 AM
Twisted Wrister

Not on a bike, but once at night in a car, on the interstate in Colorado, somewhere near Vail I think. I was in the back seat and watched a deer running from the right. Driver pulled all the way over into the fast lane trying to avoid it, but the deer just ran full speed and right into the side of the car below my window. Glanced off the car, but went tumbling as we could see in headlights of the car behind us. Left a single hair embedded in a chrome strip on the side of the car. If we hadn't pulled into the other lane, it would have been very nasty.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:43 PM
Has "almost" gotten a ticket..

Went over/through a dead one at 80mph last year on the way back from the Indy 500. Avoiding a dead one should be easy, but this one was blind to me until it was too late to avoid. It was just past Cincinnati in a 70 MPH zone that I changed lanes to pass a van and saw a dead deer across the fast lane. There wasn't time to turn to avoid it, so I made the split second decision to get low & stay straight through the belly. It was like a speed bump, cutting through more than going over it.

That was a day that I was thankful for a bike with a long wheelbase, sturdy front end & plenty of mass.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:38 AM
Entering the on-ramp

On my 1994 K75s on June 25 2004 at just after 7pm heading to Crooked River Ranch in central Oregon, and it fracken hurt! $3000 later my baby was back on the road.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:49 AM
Certified V4 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimr
$3000 later my baby was back on the road.
You did better then me. I had my first "deer encounter"/strike a few days back. Thankfully I was in my Toyota Sequoia as there were FOUR of them. I managed to get one, repair estimate at $3646.
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad
IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:29 PM
too afraid to post

Last March at dusk (red flag right there) outside Morgan Hill CA, my buddy and I were riding near identical 1998 K1200Rs's. Was getting pretty dark in hills, were just a mile from the cityand civilization when, over engine noise and through ear plugs, I heard an awful sound. I stopped, waited and did not see my buddy's lights coming up on me. A third rider, ahead on a new GS was awaiting in the valley. I made a quick decision that it'd be quicker for him, a trained m'cycle cop, to get to my buddy faster and call it in, than could I turn around on a narrow, totally dark 2-lane road - and THEN go get help... I caught up the GS a mile ahead, and he wheeled 'round and got to my buddy superfast. Turned out he encountered a deer. Did not strike the animal but, trying to avoid it, went a tad off road and lost control and went down. Two broken ribs and broken collar bone. And he was only going 15 miles an hour! Minimal damage to the his yellow, checkered flag painted K bike. He's fine now, back riding! Lesson is, when it's an hour before sunset, don't stop for 30 min to dilly-dally and eat frozen yogurt - get HOME before dusk and try to avoid the rural stuff. We had every opportunity to not put ourselves in this high risk situation. Lessons learned!
Old 03-19-2015, 12:49 PM
Getting up to speed

Never on a bike, whew!

However, there was one night, my then girlfriend (now wife) myself and her best friend were on our way to a Halloween party.

We were doing about 65-70 on the PA turnpike in the center lane somewhere around Ft. Washington, when I saw in front of me, a buck leap over the center concrete divider. Making a judgment in a split second, I figured at the rate he was moving perpendicular across the lane and at my speed, to stay right where I was and I would just miss him.

I was off by a smidge.

His antlers impacted the rear driver side window (it was a two-door Honda Accord with those hatch windows) and caught him on the roof pillar, flinging his entire body upward in mid-air and over top of me. While still aloft, the car behind me drove straight underneath the tumbling buck--and cleared under it.

The explosion of the window at that speed felt like a shotgun blast went off inside the car from the pressure change and the window glass shattered into little pebble-like pieces all over the three of us in the interior.

I somehow kept control of the vehicle and managed to pull over on the shoulder. The guy that was behind me pulled over too.

We all got out of my car totally freaked and the girls were still shrieking.

The guy that was behind me got out of his car and looked at the three of us in astonishment. He said "I was sure someone was dead in your car after seeing that!!" That's when he told me he drove underneath the thing in mid-air.

My wife's friend said that she could still see the eye of the deer looking at her in that instant (it was that close to her). Thankfully, she was sitting on the passenger side rear seat. We were supposed to have a fourth person with us who would have been in that seat and we all agreed (including the guy who was in the car behind me), if someone was sitting in that seat, they would have died.

To this day, all three of us still talk about that night in 1998.

Had I been moving even a little slower, I would probably be dead!

Old 05-30-2015, 06:20 AM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Furman

Yeah about an hour ago. I have a 5:30am start time on Fridays and Saturdays. Prime time for deer. Just before dawn. I usually take the bike to work. But Mara my dog did not want to come back in the house after her early morning walk (she did not want be left alone) So I brought her to work in the truck. Five minutes into the ride in an area that is open with farm fields, a doe jumped out to the right front of me. I caught it with the light bar, bumper or right fender (it's a Ford 150 Raptor). Made a big bang, Mara saw it too. Stopped and checked for damages, none. Check the doe. Dead.
I would of have been on the bike, but at the last minute I decided to take Mara to work. I don't think I'll ride in when I have a 5:30 am start time. This is the second time I hit a deer with this truck on the way to work. Almost had a buck run into me when I was on a loaner bike from the dealer on an early morning ride.
05 F650GS (Sold)
02 K1200RS First BMW (sold)
00 Kawasaki 1100 ZRX (sold)
83 Suzuki 750 GS (sold)
Furman along the
Delaware River
Old 05-30-2015, 08:08 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,150 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

The dog has intuition bud...
Good for you!

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 05-30-2015, 09:55 PM
Certified V4 Nut

Furman,

First and foremost, glad to hear that you are okay. Give that dog some extra love for changing your routine.

Second, my takeaway here is that I'm doing something right by laying in bed sleeping soundly at 5:30... I had NOT been second guessing that decision, but thanks for confirming nonetheless.
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad
IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:33 PM

Never hit a deer but did hit an Eastern Brush Wolf once.....dark night up in the Adirondacks, road was clear and the next second the wolf was right in front of me....no possible way to avoid him so I locked my elbows and hit him broadside, bounced up and over him and still stayed upright....somehow. I went back and the poor guy was crawling out of the road with a broken back...I felt awful and actually held his head for awhile and scratched his ears. Then unfortunately I had to put him down.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:38 AM
Getting up to speed

A pidgon at 160kph on the K1100RS, totally wrecked the screen and my ride to a major city, matter splattered all over me. Over the years, 1 kanga, 1 sheep, numerous snakes, lizards and bugs, traveling through the Pilbara, all of the above are to be expected to be encounted during a road trip
Old 12-25-2015, 05:19 PM
Postmeister

Send a message via Yahoo to jimmm

Ok, I haven't seen this one on here. I hit cow pee. Buckets. I was in a construction zone outside of Las Vegas. Traffic stopped. I was behind a cattle truck. Over 100 degrees out. It was a 2 story cattle truck. While stopped and cars stopped behind and on the side. Cow on top floor decided after 4 days of drinking cheap beer and not pissing, now was a good time. Couple gallons of warm cow piss sprayed from 8-10 feet fucking drowned me. No place to go, tried to back peddle but car behind me was in the way. I was the source of much merry and mirth for several car drivers. After an hour or more in summer desert sun the cow pee had turned to rancid honey like goo that had glued mismatched body parts to each other. Finally got to Vegas and a garden hose. I now have somewhat erotic nightmares of cow vaginas.
The following (8) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'jimmm' for this post:
Old 12-25-2015, 08:16 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,775 Times in 2,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmm
Ok, I haven't seen this one on here. I hit cow pee. Buckets. I was in a construction zone outside of Las Vegas. Traffic stopped. I was behind a cattle truck. Over 100 degrees out. It was a 2 story cattle truck. While stopped and cars stopped behind and on the side. Cow on top floor decided after 4 days of drinking cheap beer and not pissing, now was a good time. Couple gallons of warm cow piss sprayed from 8-10 feet fucking drowned me. No place to go, tried to back peddle but car behind me was in the way. I was the source of much merry and mirth for several car drivers. After an hour or more in summer desert sun the cow pee had turned to rancid honey like goo that had glued mismatched body parts to each other. Finally got to Vegas and a garden hose. I now have somewhat erotic nightmares of cow vaginas.

This should be 'Post of the Year'

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 05-24-2017, 07:26 PM

No deer but I hit a horse with my truck. Very hard on the truck!

GT
Old 05-24-2017, 07:36 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Yes hit two deer
On on my k1200lt
Second on my k1600gtl which id say mule ran full out into me
Old 05-25-2017, 11:01 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,533 Times in 1,173 Posts

Jargon, you East coast city boys need to spot those livestock haulers better. Never come up close to them stopped or moving. That is a great story.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:48 PM
Site Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Furman

Almost, on the way to work. A little one. https://youtu.be/Zj9dvslV6K4
05 F650GS (Sold)
02 K1200RS First BMW (sold)
00 Kawasaki 1100 ZRX (sold)
83 Suzuki 750 GS (sold)
Furman along the
Delaware River