I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > I-BMW Racing > Racing General
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

Racing General Section for AMA Series and likewise

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-25-2015, 02:11 PM
Site Contributor

Hayden on WSBK switch 50/50

But actually sounds like the chance of him staying out a season is just as likely...

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/223...iftyfifty.html

As rumours regarding Nicky Hayden's future intensify, the last American MotoGP title winner rated his chances of switching to World Superbike next season as 'fifty-fifty'.

The Kentucky rider admitted he has been talking to World Superbike teams about the possibility of a move to the production-based championship after two fruitless seasons on an Open class MotoGP machine.

With the recent announcement that Ducati will retain Chaz Davies and Davide Giugliano in their ranks for 2016, and Aprilia's plans for the series far from certain, Hayden is rumoured to be speaking with Honda about the possibility of teaming up with Michael van der Mark in the Ten Kate squad.

“I can't say that we're a lot closer for next year,” said Hayden after placing 22nd in Friday afternoon's MotoGP session at Aragon. “I've said all along that I'm talking to teams in World Superbike and that's no secret. Originally when I was thinking about moving there it was to be with a good factory team and bike and that was something that I thought could be fun and it would interest me.

“Now though all the factory bikes are gone so I need to see if I'd rather stay at home or else race in Superbikes on a less than factory machine. I need to wait and see what opportunities come up because I don't really have any exciting options here in MotoGP; just stuff at the back of the field.

“There's been talk of a test rider role in MotoGP and maybe that could come with a wild-card but it's not something that we've really talked about. I don't want to say the manufacturer because I don't want to start a story and it's very early at the moment and there's not even an offer on the table.”

The 34-year-old was honest enough to admit he may have to call time on a racing career that has brought one world title and three premier-class race wins should the right ride not appear in the coming weeks.

“It's getting to the point where I might have to consider staying at home but that's obviously not my first choice,” he continued. “I still enjoy racing and even a bad day here is something that most people would take so that they could do this job but if no good opportunity comes up I'd have to consider that option.”

Pushed to rate his chances of lining up in the World Superbike series next year, Hayden said it was 'fifty-fifty'.

“Because I'd look like a fool if it don't come off I'd say it's fifty-fifty maybe. It's pretty open I guess. Don't tie me down too much! Fifty-fifty I guess. I mean I like Superbike. I've always been a fan of Superbike racing. When Scott Russell was there as a kid I liked watching him.

"There was a time in America when people followed that more than GPs. There wasn't a GP in American and Laguna World Superbike was a big event when I was growing up with a lot of American riders. The series has some good racing. Is it MotoGP? No, but we'll see.

“Even from two weeks ago different options come up. In two weeks it went from something I never even considered to a lot of people talking about different things.

“We've been talking with Honda America. They don't have a road race team in America so they'd like to have some presence but it's not clear to what extent. I have a lot of support there so if it's the right place...”

Should a potential World Superbike deal not come off, Hayden ruled out the possibility of returning to the American national series, which he won in 2002 before joining MotoGP with Repsol Honda.

“I haven't talked to anyone in Moto America because at the moment it doesn't really interest me. The series is coming back but it's still only got four factory riders so that's not something that would really excite me and I'd probably prefer to do some MotoGP test riding instead.

“I don't want to say, I don't want to start some story [about a testing role]. There's no offer on the table but there has been a 'Would you be interested?' But my first choice is still the racing. I would consider it.”
Old 09-25-2015, 02:35 PM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,694 Times in 2,764 Posts

Re: Hayden on WSBK switch 50/50

Unfortunate spiral downward for Nicky. For me the most curious thing about his MotoGP career is that despite winning the '06 MotoGP title for Honda, heads up with Rossi on the Yamaha, for '07 Honda re-designed the bike to be suitable for the tiny Pedrosa, and the bike didn't suit Hayden. Pedrosa has never managed to put together a season where he is truly in the running for the title, yet he remains a Honda factory rider

I'd like to see Nicky on a competitive bike somewhere.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'CJS350' for this post:
Old 09-25-2015, 02:43 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS350
Unfortunate spiral downward for Nicky. For me the most curious thing about his MotoGP career is that despite winning the '06 MotoGP title for Honda, heads up with Rossi on the Yamaha, for '07 Honda re-designed the bike to be suitable for the tiny Pedrosa, and the bike didn't suit Hayden. Pedrosa has never managed to put together a season where he is truly in the running for the title, yet he remains a Honda factory rider

I'd like to see Nicky on a competitive bike somewhere.

Once he's out of Motogp, I would like to hear Spies, Hayden and Edwards interviewed together re the politics, the behind the scenes, of world motorcycle racing. No holds barred.

unfortunately, they still have to make a living. Hell, he's 34 years old and washed up. That's got to hurt. Sports is a tough business.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jcw' for this post:
Old 09-25-2015, 05:25 PM
Twisted Wrister

Maybe a good time to think about other possibilities than just being a rider. Maybe a transition to team owner/manager or whatever. It has to be frustrating to finish where he does now. He's 34, not that it matters. But maybe it does.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:36 PM
Shooting the gap

I think that Rossi is older but he is still great
Old 09-26-2015, 04:41 PM
Moderator; ON-ON

Send a message via Skype™ to chilei

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw
Once he's out of Motogp, I would like to hear Spies, Hayden and Edwards interviewed together re the politics, the behind the scenes, of world motorcycle racing. No holds barred.

unfortunately, they still have to make a living. Hell, he's 34 years old and washed up. That's got to hurt. Sports is a tough business.
That could make for a great book!

I love Nicky and have wanted to see him up front, it doesn't seem that he will have the bike and like Craig said, he was kind of pushed to the second rider status after winning. At least he has won the championship though, many riders don't ever see that.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?"