I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S/KR" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S/KR" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 05-05-2010, 01:50 AM
Site Contributor

Fuel Filler Neck Modification, improved venting

I searched and could not find a detailed description of this procedure so here is how I modified the fuel filler neck in order to provide improved tank filling.

Cautions and disclaimers:
I do not know if this will void your warranty or not.
Proceed at your own risk. After modification, be careful not to completely fill your tank, you should leave room for temperature expansion of the contents.
This is dangerous due to potential for ignition of gas fumes and possibility of property damage and personal injury or death.
Disconnect your battery and work in a well ventilated area. Do not allow sparks or other sources of fume ignition in the area.

The bike shown is a 2008 K1200S with the plastic style fuel filler neck. Early production years (2005-2006?) have metal filler necks and may require a different procedure.

With a torx driver remove the 2 screws holding the battery cover in place, slide cover forward and remove. Disconnect your battery. Place something non-conductive over the exposed battery terminals so that you don’t accidentally create a spark by laying a tool or a part between them.

With a torx driver remove the 6 screws holding the gas filler cap in place and remove the cap.

Remove the seat.

Remove the 6 torx screws holding the 2 gas tank decorative side panels in place, there are 3 screws per side. Leave the side panels in place; you just need to be able to wiggle them enough to remove the center decorative panel that runs from the battery cover down to the seat. Remove the center decorative panel.

The plastic fuel filler neck is now ready to be removed. However before pulling it out understand that there are interior tank items attached to it. On the left side of the neck you will see a small hole where the gas cap sits when closed. This hole is connected to a vent hose inside the tank.

On the right side of the neck is a metal bail which suspends the fuel level sender. The fuel level sender is delicate, long and “S” shaped. Pay attention to how the fuel sender is positioned because you need to replicate this to reinstall it. Carefully tilt the fuel filler neck up from the left side first, allowing the fuel sender to hang below the tank opening and then you can pull the assembly out several inches to work on it. There is no need to disconnect the fuel vent hose.

Once the top of the fuel sender strip is exposed, you can simply unhook it from the metal bail of the fuel filler neck and let it sit partially out of the tank. No need to completely remove the fuel sender strip from the tank.
There is a rubber gasket under the filler neck, be sure this does not fall into the tank.

Put a clean rag over the gas tank opening to help control fumes, lessen possibility of ignition and to keep debris out of tank.

Prepare a drill with a small drill bit, I used a 9/64” size bit. Caution, an electric or battery powered drill motor will make sparks and can ignite gas fumes. Be sure the area is well ventilated or use a hand or air-powered drill.

Carefully drill holes around the perimeter of the neck. I drilled 5 holes in the neck approximately where the filler funnel shape from above turns into more of a tube shape. The plastic is soft and will drill very easily, do not press hard on your drill. Clean away any plastic shavings left over. After testing this out, five 9/64” holes works very well, you may be able to work with fewer holes if you like.

Hook the fuel sender strip back on the metal bail.

Reinserting is the trickiest part: As mentioned earlier the sender is “S” shaped and the lowest side of the sender sits into the lower left side of the tank while the upper portion of the sender hangs over the right side of the tank. Inside the tank is the fuel pump assembly which you will need to work the sender strip first over and then around. To install into tank, again tilt the left side of the fuel filler up, allowing the metal hanger to point down toward the tank opening. Carefully feed the bottom of the fuel sender strip over to the left side of the tank, above the fuel pump, and then lower down the sender down the left side of the tank past the fuel pump assembly. As you feed the sender the last little bit into the tank, make sure the tank opening rubber gasket is resting correctly with the internal lip properly seated around the top of the tank opening. Feed the expansion vent hose into the tank and tilt the fuel filler tube back to level and resting on top of the rubber gasket. Make sure the 6 screw holes are aligned and that the hose vent hole indicates proper positioning by still being located on the left side.

Remaining assembly is reverse of removal.

Last edited by locus : 05-06-2010 at 08:14 AM. Reason: made thread 'sticky'
The following (5) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'IMXMAN' for this post:
Old 05-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Different every day

Re: Fuel Filler Neck Modification, improved venting

Nice job Xave, and nicely documented. I do have one question: How did you decide to make the hole 9/64 instead of 8/64?

Bill Eh
Old 05-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,047 Times in 793 Posts

Excellent report and documentation..

I do have a question that may or may not showcase my ignorance... You say the procedure will "improved tank filling"... As I've never noticed any problem with tank filling on this bike or any bike I've ever owned... HOW exactly does it improve filling? Splain' it to me like I'm a chimp...
Old 05-05-2010, 09:46 AM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
Excellent report and documentation..

I do have a question that may or may not showcase my ignorance... You say the procedure will "improved tank filling"... As I've never noticed any problem with tank filling on this bike or any bike I've ever owned... HOW exactly does it improve filling? Splain' it to me like I'm a chimp...

There's an air pocket at the top that won't let the tank be as filled as it could. This hole allows air to escape allowing more room for bananas for the chip...

Tim and others did that very thing a long time ago...

Old 05-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,047 Times in 793 Posts

Interesting.. Thx, ancient dude. Never experienced this phenomenon.. ever..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggiebone
There's an air pocket at the top that won't let the tank be as filled as it could ...
Old 05-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA
How did you decide to make the hole 9/64 instead of 8/64?

Bill,
I picked 9/64" mainly because it is about the size of the existing factory expansion vent hole. I considered a larger hole but thought that may allow splashing while filling. A series of smaller holes might still work too.
The main thing is to allow enough air gap venting so that the gas pump can evenly fill in behind the plastic tube without needing to stop and wait for the pressure to equalize.
I also thought putting several holes around the perimeter will allow higher fuel levels whether the bike is on centerstand or the sidestand, and to take sloshing while filling out of the equation.
So far so good, I can now fuel quickly right up to the level of the holes. No bumping of the gas pump required - eh.

Pirate,
As Loggiebone explained there is an air gap at the top of the tank that is effectively created by the unmodified fuel filler tube extending down into the tank. This is probably a BMW design decision to allow room for fuel expansion. Several people have complained (including me) that filling the last inch or two of the tank is a frustrating process of bumping the gas pump and being careful not to splash fuel back into one's face. Adding the holes makes that filling process much cleaner, quicker and simply allows more fuel to enter the tank.

It is possible to drill the holes higher than where I did, but I intentionally chose to leave some room for an expansion air gap. Additionally I was not sure how higher holes would work with the gas cap sealing mechanism. The location where I drilled the holes is clearly below the bottom of the gas cap.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,785 Times in 1,370 Posts

Excellent. I did this a couple of years back to our S ,and I did use an electric drill. I had a WET towel packed into the tank opening and a damp towel wrapped around the drill. I also had a copy of our insurance in a safe place and was wearing running shoes.

Seriously, I never posted it because I didn't want to say "don't do this!". It does make fillig much easier, as you can now see the fuel as it fills. It also holds a few 10ths more fuel and some days that matters.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Likes "S" bikes

I also copied Tim and made the mod to my KS a couple of years ago. It helps prevent splashing of gas on the paint as the tank approaches full. Air wants out as the gas is going in. Air bubbles = gas splash before the mod.

Should this be called the Tim Hole?

'14 R1200GSW
'10 Triumph Daytona 675 (track bike)
'92 K75S (20+ years of 3 cylinder love)
'95 K75RT

Crashed:
'09 Triumph Daytona 675

Sold but not forgotten:
'08 K1200S tricolor
'99 R11S
'02 K12RS
Old 05-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Twisted Wrister

Maybe I'll heat up a nail with the propane torch and melt a few holes in the neck. Won't have to take it apart, but then again it might self-disassemble if it catches fire! Maybe I'll just leave it alone for now. It really could have been better from the factory.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:14 PM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,029 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA
Nice job Xave, and nicely documented. I do have one question: How did you decide to make the hole 9/64 instead of 8/64?

Bill Eh
They don't make drill bits in 8/64... the closest you can get is 1/8...
Old 05-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Twisted Wrister

I - like george in kg did this years ago - BUT go larger in holes & more holes - saves time gasing up - no rock & rolling to get the air out & gas in. I've gotten 5.077 gas in my K12S tank with 2 miles left on the computer. I have the metal filler neck - I started out drilling small holes & went larger - I have 4 to 5 1/2 holes in around the neck - Looking at the plastic neck - you have no bottom / it's open- the metal filler neck has a bottom with a large hole at the bottom. Old K's bike had a flapper plate at the bottom of the filler neck.
So larger & more holes in the neck - is the way to go, gas & go - no waiting & rock /rolling the bike to get the air out of the tank.
Yankee Beemer # 1463
NRA # 154764753
Old 05-19-2010, 03:09 PM
(Moderator) Drinks good beer!
Thanked 1,259 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
Interesting.. Thx, ancient dude. Never experienced this phenomenon.. ever..

Put your reading glasses on next time you gas up!

I can't drink american beer!

''Respect the person who has seen the dark side of motorcycling twice, and lived!''
IBA #60362 - Iron butt from DGR - Quebec

FIND OUT ABOUT 2018 DGR HERE:http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=61884

LOOKING FOR A LOST THREAD, HAVE A LOOK HEREhttp://www.i-bmw.com/forumdisplay.php?f=262
Old 05-30-2010, 09:04 PM
Shooting the gap

has any one done this to an HP2 SPORT or R1200RT ?????????? with the red rubber ?
11 CBR250R BLACK
16 R1200RS BLACK
Iron Butt Member 22983
Old 05-31-2010, 06:33 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolf
has any one done this to an HP2 SPORT or R1200RT ?????????? with the red rubber ?

Done it to my Megamoto if that counts..........Good for an extra 15 to 20 miles per tankful
Old 05-31-2010, 09:23 PM
Postmeister

I don't have an 8/64 either. I found a 4/32 though. That should work just fine.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:59 AM
Twisted Wrister

Yes, I have 2/16 but it looks bigger than 4/32, maybe 8/64 is really the way to go.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'skapan' for this post:
Old 11-25-2010, 06:36 PM
WACKY RACER

I found an easier method. You go out and find a used ice pick. Yes, I know some of you may not know what an "ice pick" is or does, but trust me on this.

It looks like a screwdriver but with a sharp point.
Now, open the gas cap and punch 4 holes equally spaced as deepas possible into the plastic neck. If you do not have enough strength to push the pick through, just hit the handle with a hammer [gently].

Now, you have 4 vent holes, - but they are too small. Just come back and repeat with a small phillips screwdriver and if necessary, again with the next larger size phillips. Again, if necessary, use a hammer [gently].

Wasn't that a lot easier than dissambly or a heated nail [].

bert brumfield
Kernersville, NC
2007 K1200GT
2007 K1200R-SPORT
1998 K1200RS [TAXI]
MSF Instructor
RETIRED
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Bertbrumfield' for this post:
Old 11-26-2010, 11:54 AM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertbrumfield
I found an easier method. You go out and find a used ice pick. Yes, I know some of you may not know what an "ice pick" is or does, but trust me on this.

It looks like a screwdriver but with a sharp point.
Now, open the gas cap and punch 4 holes equally spaced as deepas possible into the plastic neck. If you do not have enough strength to push the pick through, just hit the handle with a hammer [gently].

Now, you have 4 vent holes, - but they are too small. Just come back and repeat with a small phillips screwdriver and if necessary, again with the next larger size phillips. Again, if necessary, use a hammer [gently].

Wasn't that a lot easier than dissambly or a heated nail [].

one caveat on this mod. The tank is made this way to keep the charcoal canister from becoming full of fuel which causes really bad running. I have done the mod on a 05 Ks a few years ago and on the 2 others I have owned since with no problems. I only fill it up all the way if I am riding, never when I am going home because of fuel contamination of the charcoal canister. I keep my canister because the bike is kept in a heated garage, this stops fuel fumes from causing a problem.
Fire, stink ect.
Other wise it works perfect. I all ways fill the bike on the side stand and only used one hole on the high side. Works fine on any bike with a filler in the center of the tank.
H
Old 11-26-2010, 12:41 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgp3
one caveat on this mod. The tank is made this way to keep the charcoal canister from becoming full of fuel which causes really bad running. I have done the mod on a 05 Ks a few years ago and on the 2 others I have owned since with no problems. I only fill it up all the way if I am riding, never when I am going home because of fuel contamination of the charcoal canister. I keep my canister because the bike is kept in a heated garage, this stops fuel fumes from causing a problem.
Fire, stink ect.

+1 on this statement. Because of a stalling issue I had with my K13S, my dealer has definitely warned me on filling the tank too full because of the cannister (though the cannister was not the issue). I have seriously thought of removing the cannisters on all of my bikes because of that problem. I have had a number of non-cannistered bikes in my garage in the past with no problems with gasoline "stink".
Old 11-26-2010, 04:49 PM
WACKY RACER

I also have removed the canister on the 07 k1200r sport for this reason. gas in the canister will cause problems till it "dries out".

As soon as I have a reason to tear into the "innerds" on the k1200GT, I will remove it's canister also.

And,- to be safe, I never fill the tank up into the neck unless I am traveling, and will ride the gas down to a normal level in a few miles. If on the way home, I always stop short of the neck when filling the tank.

BUT, this does give you the option of having another 1/2 gallon+/- of gas to extend your range while traveling. Just sayin.

bert brumfield
Kernersville, NC
2007 K1200GT
2007 K1200R-SPORT
1998 K1200RS [TAXI]
MSF Instructor
RETIRED
Old 12-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Twisted Wrister

I have always been curious as to whether the 'bump' process in filling was actually adding more fuel to the tank or if it was going over the lip of some internal vent to the cannister. You guys have discovered that you really can add more fuel if there is no trapped air to prevent it. But since you can....why not go ahead and measure how much more you can put in? Simply fill to the bottom of the stock tube, subtract that amount from the number you get after proceeding to fill the rest of the way. Then, of course, let us know. My weekly commute puts me right at the edge of empty with 185 miles, but I am 8 miles from the station, so 1/2 gallon at 43 mpg would be welcome sometimes. It would make some really fun alternate routes more feasible.
Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS black >140,000 Miles (moving to Mexico with it!), '09 K1300S light grey sold @22k mi, 93 K1100RS black -traded at 78k mi, '85 K100RS red -sold at 44k mi, Kaw 650 track bike sold
Old 12-04-2010, 12:51 AM
WACKY RACER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Gull
I have always been curious as to whether the 'bump' process in filling was actually adding more fuel to the tank or if it was going over the lip of some internal vent to the cannister. You guys have discovered that you really can add more fuel if there is no trapped air to prevent it. But since you can....why not go ahead and measure how much more you can put in? Simply fill to the bottom of the stock tube, subtract that amount from the number you get after proceeding to fill the rest of the way. Then, of course, let us know. My weekly commute puts me right at the edge of empty with 185 miles, but I am 8 miles from the station, so 1/2 gallon at 43 mpg would be welcome sometimes. It would make some really fun alternate routes more feasible.

I can add at least .4 gal with the holes in the tube.

AND I never do this unless I plan on riding and burning off this excess gas.

bert brumfield
Kernersville, NC
2007 K1200GT
2007 K1200R-SPORT
1998 K1200RS [TAXI]
MSF Instructor
RETIRED
Old 12-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by skapan
Yes, I have 2/16 but it looks bigger than 4/32, maybe 8/64 is really the way to go.

15 ktm 350 xcw-f six days
16 Yamaha mule
Old 12-06-2010, 11:50 PM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Be careful with cramming the fuel after this mod (or in general) guys. NEVER do this in hot weather with a hot bike and cold fuel then let the bike sit because it will push fuel out the vent tube. Be real careful even if you drive right off since it might push fuel out the vent and directly under your rear tire which SBK12RS will attest is worse than ice!

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 01-19-2011, 12:57 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMXMAN
I searched and could not find a detailed description of this procedure so here is how I modified the fuel filler neck in order to provide improved tank filling.

Cautions and disclaimers:
I do not know if this will void your warranty or not.
Proceed at your own risk. After modification, be careful not to completely fill your tank, you should leave room for temperature expansion of the contents.
This is dangerous due to potential for ignition of gas fumes and possibility of property damage and personal injury or death.
Disconnect your battery and work in a well ventilated area. Do not allow sparks or other sources of fume ignition in the area.

Remaining assembly is reverse of removal.

I have been searching for something like this one. I actually wasted days of searching. Thanks for this and i can now start my own modification. Thanks.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:53 PM
WACKY RACER

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark
I have been searching for something like this one. I actually wasted days of searching. Thanks for this and i can now start my own modification. Thanks.

What's wrong with the ice pick method described in post no. 17???

bert brumfield
Kernersville, NC
2007 K1200GT
2007 K1200R-SPORT
1998 K1200RS [TAXI]
MSF Instructor
RETIRED
Old 01-19-2011, 06:02 PM
*Disclaimer below

Quote:
who the hell picks ice anyway and what is the benefit to pick ice even if you had the chance to. I would use the hammer
Old 01-20-2011, 04:23 PM
WACKY RACER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK04GT
who the hell picks ice anyway and what is the benefit to pick ice even if you had the chance to. I would use the hammer

What does that mean??

Almost as bad as an RT post.

Go back to jomama [or back to sleep]

bert brumfield
Kernersville, NC
2007 K1200GT
2007 K1200R-SPORT
1998 K1200RS [TAXI]
MSF Instructor
RETIRED
Old 01-20-2011, 06:11 PM
*Disclaimer below

Quote:
What does that mean??

Almost as bad as an RT post.

Go back to jomama [or back to sleep]
Thanks Ill Be sure not to respond to any thread you are posting in .What the hell is wrong with you people?....no sense of humor and no clue to satire...Holy shit! better yet...This place has gotten way to sensitive....Reminds me of my X mother in-laws family cold, dry and the only time anything should be funny if its something they say.....OUCH!
Old 01-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Postmeister

I have had my GT for about a year and a half. I only racked up about 9k miles as I ride the Harley about the same. In this time, I have never experienced a difficulty in filling the tank. It fills about as fast as I squeeze the trigger. It almost fills to the bottom of the filler neck first try. I do spend about 15 seconds topping it off. So the only advantage to mutilating the filler neck is .4 gallon of gas? I have 4 one quart fuel bottles I take when tripping around for a reserve. Never used them except the two times I set out to see how far I could go and how accurate the gauge was. Not too far off. I will leave my filler neck intact. For the record, I filled up the tank and it was bone dry at 263 miles the first time and 254 the second. I might try it again this year.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:41 PM
Likes "S" bikes

I suspect the hole from an ice pick would be too small. The whole point of this mod is to allow air escape as the fuel enters the tank. I modified by filler neck with two 1/2 holes. It works well.

Quote:

'14 R1200GSW
'10 Triumph Daytona 675 (track bike)
'92 K75S (20+ years of 3 cylinder love)
'95 K75RT

Crashed:
'09 Triumph Daytona 675

Sold but not forgotten:
'08 K1200S tricolor
'99 R11S
'02 K12RS
Old 02-28-2011, 08:39 AM
Getting up to speed

Just curious about how long it took for gas to reach motor after running it dry? Did you have to jump battery? Or did bike start before battery was dead?
02 BMW K1200RS-3rd Bmer
Old 02-28-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_in_KG
I suspect the hole from an ice pick would be too small. The whole point of this mod is to allow air escape as the fuel enters the tank. I modified by filler neck with two 1/2 holes. It works well.
Ditto. Just did our 2011 K1300S. Slightly different fuel level sensor sender thingy but otherwise just as instructed in the OP above.

As for trying to jam an ice pick through 1/16" plastic I'd vote no on that attempt. As for hitting a plastic nozzle with an ice pick and hammer I'd vote no again. YMMV, but a drill on the bench beats a broken filler neck. Hmmm, maybe if the ice pick was red hot?

Trivia: 2002 K1200RS filler neck was thin metal, 2007 K1200S was black, K1300S is red plastic. Dunno why, just is. And you will get about 1/2 gallon more in the tank with this mod.

As for the charcoal cannister one could, aledgedly, just plug the vacuum tube at the cannister (the top hose) and the tank will still vent sanz the engine sucking on any fumes. While under warranty everything looks hunky dory. DAMHIKT.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Twisted Wrister

I would NOT let her run dry, fuel pump will heat up once nothing there to pump. I would rather pay $4. for gas then a new fuel pump for $300.+

Feel free to try your test on your bike & get back to us if ya like
Yankee Beemer # 1463
NRA # 154764753
Old 02-28-2011, 01:53 PM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,593 Times in 1,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabnfvr
2007 K1200S was black, K1300S is red plastic.

And here I thought the red filler neck was special to match our red paint

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

Old 02-28-2011, 02:01 PM
(Moderator) Free spirit

I saw somewhere that the new 1600 has a modified filler neck so I guess BMW realizes that it is an issue
Old 02-28-2011, 02:56 PM
Debbie's Servant

Quote:
Ditto. Just did our 2011 K1300S. Slightly different fuel level sensor sender thingy but otherwise just as instructed in the OP above.

Is the float hooked to the filler ring like the fuel strip was?

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

Old 02-28-2011, 08:02 PM
Postmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridge K
I would NOT let her run dry, fuel pump will heat up once nothing there to pump. I would rather pay $4. for gas then a new fuel pump for $300.+

Feel free to try your test on your bike & get back to us if ya like

I ran mine dry three times intentionally.Fuel level sender was not doing its job. Dealer replaced, adjusted and now it comes on at about 50 miles to go.
She starts right up after replacing fuel in the tank. Fuel pump primes the fuel rail. No float bowl to fill. Dealer also told me there is no harm to the fuel pump if allowed to run dry. Ask your dealer.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:03 PM
Getting up to speed

Thanks McWideGlide for chiming in. I was hoping to hear someone with K12 fuel pump experience would. I have heard of K12 owners running their bikes dry to check range on another thread too.
02 BMW K1200RS-3rd Bmer
Old 03-01-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Is the float hooked to the filler ring like the fuel strip was?
I unhooked the metal part from the filler tube, so I don't know. I do know the vent tube is a pain to get off, and the metal part is a quandry to get back on. But I have vent holes and a working fuel gauge so I must have put it all back together correctly.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Debbie's Servant

Quote:
I unhooked the metal part from the filler tube, so I don't know. I do know the vent tube is a pain to get off, and the metal part is a quandry to get back on. But I have vent holes and a working fuel gauge so I must have put it all back together correctly.

If I can't get the hose off, I may drill the hole with the hose still attached. I would prefer to get the hose off so I'm not drilling near the fumes of the open tank.
I'll wait until the garage warms up, but like to get this done before Texas.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

Old 03-01-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
If I can't get the hose off, I may drill the hole with the hose still attached. I would prefer to get the hose off so I'm not drilling near the fumes of the open tank.
I'll wait until the garage warms up, but like to get this done before Texas.
OK, I NEVER wrote this and you never read it, but if you do that .....

... do it with a FULL tank and place a very wet towel over the tank. Two towels maybe. And another damp towel (damp, not dripping) over the drill. Preferrably a battery powered drill. It will work, even though it should never be done this way. BTDT.

Oh yeah, do it outside.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:31 PM
A.K.A. "Kumbustible-K"

Quote:
OK, I NEVER wrote this and you never read it, but if you do that .....

... do it with a FULL tank and place a very wet towel over the tank. Two towels maybe. And another damp towel (damp, not dripping) over the drill. Preferrably a battery powered drill. It will work, even though it should never be done this way. BTDT.

Oh yeah, do it outside.

Or use an air drill !

04 K12GT

Tiverton, RI
Old 03-04-2011, 12:39 PM
War Horse

I would turn on my electric drill in the dark before I used it around an active gas tank.
Watch all the little blue squiggles inside the brushes and then, don't try it.
Wait till you can do it safe and right.
You wouldn't like having skin grafted off your butt, onto your face!
Old 04-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Debbie's Servant

Thanks for the pictures and tips. I drilled holes in both fillers today. I took the filler neck clear out and drilled it away from the bike. The clamp on the drain hose unhooked easy on the first bike, but was stubborn on the second bike.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

Old 04-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Site Contributor

This is a good case for obtaining a hand drill, I suggest you meet with your local neurosurgeon and request that they donate to your cause the hand drill he/she used in their last craniotomy. Their drills are s/s, used only once and for all "intensive" purposes will last you a lifetime .......
Old 04-04-2011, 08:22 PM
WACKY RACER

It's still a lot easier [and safer] with an ice pick.

That is if you are old enough to know what an ice pick is.

bert brumfield
Kernersville, NC
2007 K1200GT
2007 K1200R-SPORT
1998 K1200RS [TAXI]
MSF Instructor
RETIRED
Old 04-05-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
Thanks for the pictures and tips. I drilled holes in both fillers today. I took the filler neck clear out and drilled it away from the bike. The clamp on the drain hose unhooked easy on the first bike, but was stubborn on the second bike.
You let the second bike see you drill on the first bike, didn't you. Next time borrow some of JustJoe's chloroform before doing invasive operations.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:47 PM
smallfish

This is a good case for obtaining a hand drill, I suggest you meet with your local neurosurgeon and request that they donate to your cause the hand drill he/she used in their last craniotomy.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:18 PM
Wookin' pa nub
Thanked 4,218 Times in 2,124 Posts

Great write up! Easy to do and I appreciate the extra mileage.

Keyboard Hero!
A product of "unfortunate upbringing...”
Dolt, One of Five!

Find the official "non-official" 2018 Non-Invitational DGR Rally in Maggie Valley here!

Life is good!
Old 05-23-2011, 08:25 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2008
Thanked 2,475 Times in 1,056 Posts

Quote:
You let the second bike see you drill on the first bike, didn't you. Next time borrow some of JustJoe's chloroform before doing invasive operations.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Debbie's Servant

Quote:

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S

Old 05-24-2011, 11:07 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,150 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Quote:

Good one bud!

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 05-03-2012, 11:40 PM
HYPER K

This may be in the wrong place since I own a K1300S, but I just drilled my filler tube. Rather than disconnect everything (the innards looked oddly complicated to get back in the right place) I did this on the bike.

1. Parked bike outside
2. Removed tank cover and gas cap
3. Pulled fill tube out by about 4-5 inches
4. Completely covered open gas tank with wet rag
5. Used a pin-vise to hand drill a 1/8th inch pilot hole by hand
6. Used a 1/2" bit to widen hole by hand
7. Carefully cleaned all plastic shavings off wet rag and from around new vent hole
8. Removed rag and reassembled filler and gas cap

Measuring at the gas station, I put exactly .4 gallons more to the bottom of the 1/2" hole I drilled as compared to the bottom of the fill tube. The hole itself is on the right side of the fill tube (uphill when on the side-stand) just below the external flanges that reinforce the neck.

I figure this should give me nearly 20 miles more range which I am very happy to have. I did go do a 20 mile freeway run to burn off the extra gas. I do not plan on storing this extra gasoline, rather I will use the capacity when starting out on a ride.

Thanks for the excellent writeup to give me the confidence to do this!

JT
Old 05-04-2012, 03:41 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2009
Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,150 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to Louis

Got a pic of that mod?

There's never enough time to do it right... But there's always enough time to do it over!
This is only a good thing when applied to riding... or sex!
Ride West 2008
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?p=191559#post191559
Ride West 2009 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=24292
Dad & daughter Ride 2011 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=35470
André Slabbinck 1957-2014 http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=50135
Old 05-06-2012, 06:12 PM
HYPER K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis
Got a pic of that mod?

Yeah, didn't think about doccumenting it, but here is a closeup of where and what size I made the hole. This single 1/2" hole works very well. On my second tank of gas and now and am realyl enjoying the extra range.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:22 PM
War Horse

I put 4 1/8" holes in mine and it works, but, is slow and can get messy if the pump is hard to modulate.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:32 PM
HYPER K

Yeah, I'm sure someone smarter could do the math, but I have to be flowing four times as much air as you with the single half inch hole. Probably makes it a fair bit easier to fill.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:07 PM
War Horse

I did mine with a hammer and ice pick, to avoid a chance of metal shavings in the tank. I had just done the gas filter a few weeks before I saw this trick. But next time the filter goes, so do the big holes!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:54 PM
WACKY RACER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokerecord
I did mine with a hammer and ice pick, to avoid a chance of metal shavings in the tank. I had just done the gas filter a few weeks before I saw this trick. But next time the filter goes, so do the big holes!

Since so many would rather take the neck apart and drill holes, we obviously have to be old enough to still have an ice pick available.
Once the plastic is penetrated by the ice pick, you can make the holes bigger with various sizes of Phillips screwdrivers, from small to large. just twist the handle as you apply pressure.
If you have access to an ice pick, this really is extremely simple to do.

bert brumfield
Kernersville, NC
2007 K1200GT
2007 K1200R-SPORT
1998 K1200RS [TAXI]
MSF Instructor
RETIRED