I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S/KR" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S/KR" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 05-26-2010, 11:24 PM
Entering the on-ramp

DIY: K1200R Airbox modification

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to say "Hi!". I've been a long time poster at another K-Bikes forum and joined this one to continue to get new perspectives on the K that I love and own.

For my first post, I would like to repost a DIY that I did and posted on the other forum to bring instant value to this community.

Here are the details of my Airbox mod for the K1200R to open up the left side of the airbox and mount a standard airfilter in a "factory" like appearance. I hope you enjoy!

I just wanted to share with everyone that you can modify your airbox with a few simple parts and some simple procedures.

First I opened up the left side of the airbox as mentioned before with a soldering iron that had a wide and flat tip then cleaned up the edges with a razor knife. I didn't really leave much of a mess so I was pretty happy. I just used some old t-shirts in the intake snorkels jammed in from the opening on the right then sucked out the debris with a vacuum cleaner with a small hose.

Here is before:

Here is after:

Second I ordered the intake manifold for the left opening on a K1200 S. This is compatible with the "R" once you do some "modification". K1200S intake manifold: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showpart...311&hg=13&fg=20

New Intake manifold (separated from snorkel):

Third I measured the depth of the filter because I knew the filter already fit with a plexi mount that I made for it before doing step 2.

Measuring Depth:

Plexi mount:

Fourth I went around with a ruler and marked reference dots so I knew I was on track when cutting. It was approx 1.5" deep from the base of the intake manifold that I made the marks.

Marking the manifold (Sorry a little blurry):

Fifth I borrowed a buddies Dremel tool and used a cross cut bit that we also used to cut / fab the plexi. I found a piece of wood that gave us the correct height for the marks on the side of the intake manifold. It reasoned to me that instead of trying to cut a straight line with the Dremel (which I would totally screw up any hopes for a straight line), what we did was just rotate the intake manifold on the ground to get a straight and level line. I was surprised, it actually worked out pretty well as my buddy held the Dremel steady and I rotated the piece.

Setting up the cut:

Raw finished version:

Sixth Cleaned up the modified manifold with a razor knife and then mounted the filter into it.

Cleaning up the manifold:

Mounted filter:

Seventh Put it all together! Looks like factory! Hehe. Well, ok. Maybe needs to be trimmed down just a hair but in all honesty all the parts fits snug and I am not worried about some of the plastic pieces mildly rubbing.

Finished Product:

Here is the right side for reference:

Finally I HAVE to give props to my good buddy Darron who has always helped me out with my BMWs regardless of them being cars or bikes!

Darron:
http://hf9ltq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pxkH8DJC33-J0_mi39kWwPSgO8nFEJXhxSsgD0xdShhHc0lvDsbJpevrtwSqkwHDWtL_vh6 pzNvpYqeuG9c30bzXOlSSeXk5P/M3%20retrofit%20Darron%20and%20Jim%20-%20April%202005_11.jpg

Hope this helps you with your mods in the future!

Cheers! - Walt
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'titanium5' for this post:
Old 05-27-2010, 12:14 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Re: DIY: K1200R Airbox modification

Excellent work and write-up with step by step pics...This is what a lot of us need when attempting to perform some of these mods!
Old 05-27-2010, 12:35 PM
Moderator -Tainting The i-BMW Gene Pool
Thanked 2,966 Times in 1,343 Posts

WOW Walt... that's one hell of a first post!! Great step-by-step documentation. You'll have to let us know the performance results. It would make for a great 2nd post!!

Oh yeah... welcome aboard!!! Glad you found us.
1974 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850 California (Police Edition)
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition a.k.a. "Brutus"

- FZ

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" -
Arthur Schopenhauer

"Vulgarity is the crutch of an illiterate mutherfucker" - Chris Andries
Old 05-27-2010, 04:51 PM
.......and?

Great post!!!!

I will have to give this a try.

2006 K1200R

'Who i$ John Galt?'

"The highest function of love is that it makes the loved one a unique and irreplaceable being." Tom Robbins
Old 05-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Shooting the gap

you did a nice modification and you will find it really wakes up the bike. but i'm curious why all the trouble to do this as opposed to buying the ready-made kit (cost-wise is about the same)? is there something you don't like about the kit or was it just the satisfaction of doing it yourself?

again, not trying to take anything away from what you've done or anything like that (i really enjoy seeing how people modify their bikes) but just for my own information.

ken zeller
evoluzione cyclesports
Old 06-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone...

Hi Ken, the parts were a little less than the aftermarket at the time. BTW, I am digging the slave for the K1200R. I had some problems at first but if you remember, you hooked me up with a new piston and all is great!

From Chicago BMW...

Intake manifold (P/N 13717675519) was 98.94
Strikers (pins to hold the manifold in place) (P/N 13717672549) were 2.22
Filter (P/N 13717703583) was only 22.47

Plus shipping (super cheap) it all came to about 130.00 give or take a few dollars.

I wanted a solution that I could just throw away and replace the stock filters because I have had a filter that I needed to "manage" in my M3 for many years. The cost of the new ones outweighed the cost of the "managed" filter. Also, yes, I just wanted to see if I could apply some ingenuity to do something to the bike and make it look stock.

http://hdxqhq.bay.livefilestore.com/...nal.jpg?psid=1
Old 06-10-2010, 02:20 AM
Shooting the gap

Great posting. Thanks.

Couple of questions:
Does R has different software than S?
If not, you should gain directly 4 HP more by this mod.
Rest of the parts are same in S and R.

Why did you not install complete snochel from S?
By that you would have gained a bit more lowend torque, I quess.

Regards
Jukka

Old 10-14-2012, 07:15 AM
Getting up to speed

Can anyone give me the PN for the K12S LHS snorkel so I can order it to complete this mod?

This:

Old 10-16-2012, 01:28 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Hi Leiboshi,

I would assume that the R / S software is similar in most regards because the engines are similar but I am sure the fuel mapping is different. Regardless, a couple years ago I picked up a Power Commander and it's changed my bike for the better. Literally, it's a night and day difference. A Power Commander is a must for a K bike IMO. The bike isn't anemic in low RPMs like it used to be and the power keeps on pulling through all the gears all the way to redline. It's insane. I really wish that I had invested in the $400 power commander a year or so after buying the bike. No, I don't work for them or endorse any product unless it makes a difference. This one does!

Also, I believe opening up the left side of the air box also helped with the PC install all up. I have no regrets and enjoy the massive power increase. The bike is a fricken beast now!

Also, you asked why I didn't install the entire snorkel from the S? Well, the front end of the R bike is totally different then the S. Plus the bike computer is mounted right in front as you can see from Before and After pictures. There was no room for the snorkel. Also, if you notice, I took the snorkel off the right side. It really made the bike sound a lot more aggressive. I don't think it screwed up the airflow in any way. Bike seems to preform better with more air. Some say that it's meant as a "Ram Air" function but the bike breathes just fine without either snorkel.

Hello Brnojohn,

The part number for that assembly is noted a couple times through the post.

Here is the part information again:
Intake manifold (P/N 13717675519) was 98.94
Strikers (pins to hold the manifold in place) (P/N 13717672549) were 2.22
Filter (P/N 13717703583) was only 22.47

Here is the link to the intake manifold (Snorkel / filter housing), it's all one unit.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0591&mospid=51574&btnr=13_1311&hg=13&fg=7 1&hl=1

Enjoy.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:43 PM
Twisted Wrister

Walt

I want to do this modification. I tried to view your pictures but all I see on my computer are the red X where the pictures were.

Is there any way to repost the pictures or send them to me if I provide you an e-mail address?

Thank You

Bill
Old 05-13-2014, 01:16 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Hi Guys
I've been having a look at my new K1200r and it seems to have a small air filter on the left so I'm guessing that my bike as had the mod done already
or is there a filter already there?
I'm started to think what else as been fiddled with.....
Old 05-21-2014, 09:24 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Hi Bill, I am sorry about the delay, I don't check this email very much and I've been out traveling and I changed my directory structure around about on my One Drive so my apologies.

Here are the pictures for your convenience: http://1drv.ms/1o7HMut

If you have questions, please let me know. Also, I would highly suggest you get a power commander. Like I stated in my post, it's worth every. single. fricken. penny. I can even mail you the base map that I am using. It's from PC but it works just fine.

Here is what I did:

1- get access to the inside of the airbox by removing the right filter and snorkel.

2- shove a bunch of old t shirts in the intake "snorkels" on the left side of the airbox.

3- I used an electric soldering iron with a wide flat tip to slowly burn my way through the material of the airbox. cutting it with a dremel might be another idea but just be careful. Using a soldering iron to "cut" away the materiel left little to clean up inside the airbox.

4- Use a sharp knife or razor to clean up the edges. Doesn't have to be "perfect" because nobody will see it.

Please NOTE that you want to cut the airbox on the INSIDE of the first ridge so you have TWO ridges. The filter will sit in between these TWO ridges and provide a good seal.

Good Luck with your install.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:37 PM
Twisted Wrister

Walt

The pictures, instructions and information you provided are PHENOMENOL!!

Thank You! It provided me all the info and confidence I need to proceed with the project.

Thanks again!

Bill
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Bill Curlee' for this post:
Old 10-16-2016, 12:14 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I purchased an 06 K1200R a few months ago and am in the process of modifying it. One of the things is the airbox... as I am here now. With the cost of doing the aftermarket kits and the fact that these bikes have been out for a while and parts are more plentiful, I am looking into swapping out my stock airbox for a used K1200S airbox(that already has the left airfilter hole) as well as the left airbox with filter. I think that it will fit with minimal issue. The only thing to cut/modify is the left plastic cowl face to accept the air tube flange... Any thoughts?
Old 10-16-2016, 11:14 AM
Twisted Wrister

I purchased an aftermarket kit to add a filter to the left side on my 07 K R and it doesn't seem to have enough room to fit. The brackets for the electronic modules wont allow enough clearance. So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Check that out before you leap on a new box.

Bill
Old 11-05-2016, 04:29 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Anybody has dyno'ed before/after this mod?
Old 10-27-2017, 08:22 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
I purchased an aftermarket kit to add a filter to the left side on my 07 K R and it doesn't seem to have enough room to fit. The brackets for the electronic modules wont allow enough clearance. So,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Check that out before you leap on a new box.

Is that the filter that won't fit in, or the snorkel?

1982 R100RS.
2006 K1200R
Melbourne, Oz.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:36 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Hello,

I have a question for you how to set noise suppressors in Aribox models in K12. I had to dismantle the airbox and now I do not know if I put them in the right direction.

https://zapodaj.net/faa393d955414.jpg.html