I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S "Tires
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S "Tires Different tire-brands and suggestions

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 07-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Site Contributor

Tire Pressure....

ok, I know this has been covered ad nauseam, but indulge me because I'm a nice guy.

I just checked my tire pressure with a good gauge. 36 F, 42.5 rear. The dash TPM consistently reads 33/39.

If I am understanding the threads I have read, I should go ahead and add air to get to 36/42 on the TPM?

Not sure I understand the temperature compensating aspect. For the record, it's damn hot here in Texas.

Thanks blokes.
AC Schnitzer, Corbin, Beech Kit, City tankbag with "old" mount, Kriega US 20, Pro Grips 719, Zaino freak.

Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave - Andrew Fletcher
Old 07-09-2012, 12:24 AM
Shooting the gap

Re: Tire Pressure....

I would also like the answer to this question,

And another one ?, can the read out be changed from BAR to PSI ?
Old 07-09-2012, 04:25 AM
2013 Member of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR-BMW
If I am understanding the threads I have read, I should go ahead and add air to get to 36/42 on the TPM?

Absolutely not! Tires MUST be checked with an ACCURATE tire gauge. You don't overfill them just to make an inaccurate TPM come up with the "right" reading!!

The rear tire, for example, has a maximum allowable pressure of 42psi printed right on the tire. If you fill it so the TPM reads 42 psi, it will be inflated well beyond the maximum allowable pressure!! That makes no sense at all!

The TPM is useless as an accurate pressure monitor. Further, I doubt that its erroneous readings are the result of the claim it is "temperature compensated". What it is very useful for, is to warn you that pressure is falling, as a result of a puncture.

No more "Vancouver.... the Blond Bimbo of Cities" for me
.... moved to Kelowna BC in the beautiful wine country of the Okanagan Valley.

- '08 K1200GT, metallic charcoal/silver
- '86 K100RT, Diamantgrau Metallic (great old girl!).
Old 07-09-2012, 06:48 AM
Site Contributor

The TPM is useless as an accurate pressure monitor. Further, I doubt that its erroneous readings are the result of the claim it is "temperature compensated". What it is very useful for, is to warn you that pressure is falling, as a result of a puncture.[/quote]

That's what I figured. Thanks for the info.
AC Schnitzer, Corbin, Beech Kit, City tankbag with "old" mount, Kriega US 20, Pro Grips 719, Zaino freak.

Arms are the only true badge of liberty. The possession of arms is the distinction of a free man from a slave - Andrew Fletcher
Old 07-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Twisted Wrister

VFR-BMW
They are valuable once you know their limitations, which have been discussed here quite a bit. Mine happens to read pretty darned close, so I am lucky enough to be able to use mine for relatively real time 'temp compensated' pressures. So, you read your tires 'cold', unridden. Compare that to what the TPM says. Then you know how far off the TPM is, generally speaking. This is essentially what BMW tells you to do in the manual - then adjust the pressure to get the TPM to change the amount you want changed BASED ON YOUR GUAGE READING. The psi readings then stay relatively consistent as you ride. Within a few psi. Whereas, if you go for a hard ride and measure the psi immediately, you will likely be 10% higher than you started 36/42 Guage goes to about 40/46 or 47. Generally speaking, the 10% change has been what I have always heard is the max change you want. Any more means your tires are underinflated for your load and you are creating too much heat in them. In the scenario I described, though your guage may show the higher pressure, the TPM will often show pretty much what you started with. This is how mine works anyway. I start at a given pressure at 5 am and 50 degrees ambient. I ride 200 miles into the valley where ambient temps are already in the mid to high 80s and my TPM readings change very little. In the afternoon when I head home, this week it will be 105 or so and the TPM still reads pretty much at the start what it did at the end of the morning ride in. When I get home, at mid 50 range again on the coast, pretty much the same. The biggest change I have seen on this ride was in these exact conditions and the TPM read 2 psi higher for a short while in the middle of the return ride. Other than that it fluctuated about 1 psi at the most. I tend to prefer mine a couple PSI lower than the manual calls for since my roads are relatively rough. My tires get good attention from one sidewall to the other and tend to wear fairly evenly.

My understanding is that the readout can be changed to BAR, some of the Canadian riders here have written about this, I think it has to be set at the dealer.....
Old 07-09-2012, 11:47 PM
Always Am!

I go by the TPM to fill the tires, as is stated in the owner's manual. I think I am a minority!

I would be curious to compare TPM readings with a temperature compensated temperature gauge. But at $300 for the gauge I am not THAT curious.

Stewart
Old 07-10-2012, 12:10 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,172 Posts

Some guy on another site said he was taking his RT in for TPM calibration at the Dealer. Maybe it is possible??? Something a phone call would settle.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Shooting the gap

This is an interesting discussion. My bike sat for a month while I waited for my seat. My front tire was reading 32 and the rear was 39 on the TPM. So I took it to the gas station to put air in, hit the front with some air and used an electronic pressure sensor and it came out to 42lbs. Let some out and the sensor came out at 38, which I figured was close enough. Hit some air into the back tire and it was up at 50psi. Look some air out and the sensor read 42.5. Good to go.

Get on the bike and take it around the parking lot until the TPM display readouts. 36 front 38 back. So my back tire that the electronic gague says is at 42.5 displays a readout of 38. Almost 5 PSI off. So if its the TPM thats off it means my tires have been over inflated the entire time I've owned the bike, as they were reading 38/42 previously.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Twisted Wrister

If one could get their tires filled with Nitrogen, there will be very little change due to temperature.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:27 PM
Better late than never

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPV
If one could get their tires filled with Nitrogen, there will be very little change due to temperature.

Why didn't I think of that. Can you tell me where to pick some up?
Old 07-10-2012, 05:09 PM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,020 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EitanDC
This is an interesting discussion. My bike sat for a month while I waited for my seat. My front tire was reading 32 and the rear was 39 on the TPM. So I took it to the gas station to put air in, hit the front with some air and used an electronic pressure sensor and it came out to 42lbs. Let some out and the sensor came out at 38, which I figured was close enough. Hit some air into the back tire and it was up at 50psi. Look some air out and the sensor read 42.5. Good to go.

Get on the bike and take it around the parking lot until the TPM display readouts. 36 front 38 back. So my back tire that the electronic gague says is at 42.5 displays a readout of 38. Almost 5 PSI off. So if its the TPM thats off it means my tires have been over inflated the entire time I've owned the bike, as they were reading 38/42 previously.
Mine is fairly accurate, but there seems to be quite a bit of variation from one bike to another. Regardless, the TPM should NOT be used as a pressure gauge, but only to detect a rapid loss of pressure...
Old 07-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Twisted Wrister

Any decent tire shop will have Nitrogen.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Always Am!

The owners manual instructions if interested...

Compare the TPC/RDC value in the multifunction display with the value on the back cover of the Rider's Manual. The difference between the two values must be compensated with the air pressure tester at the filling station. Example: according to the Rider's Manual, the tire inflation pressure is to be 36.3 psi (2.5 bar), however 33.4 psi (2.3 bar) is shown in the multifunction display. This means the tires are underinflated by 2.9 psi (0.2 bar). The tester at the filling station indicates 34.8 psi (2.4 bar). This value must be increased by 2.9 psi (0.2 bar) to 37.7 psi (2.6 bar) in order to produce the correct tire inflation pressure.

Like I said I am the minority that follows these instructions, It is certainly different than how I inflated tires for the last 40 years. It seems to me that the hotter the ambient temperature is the more I compensate to arrive at 36/42 on the TPM (tires always checked in the morning before riding). I'll keep track for my own edumacation, but it will be a while before my garage is less than 80 degrees F.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:29 PM
(Moderator) Cocked and loaded...
Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,020 Posts

Send a message via Yahoo to Kneedragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPV
Any decent tire shop will have Nitrogen.
Or, if you're satisfied with 78% nitrogen, you can use the air we breathe...
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Kneedragger' for this post:
Old 07-11-2012, 07:45 AM
Site Contributor

when my dealer ran over all the bells and whistles on mine he said they could change from BAR to PSI when they do the first service, he also said to run 36 front 38 rear for solo riding ,42 rear 2 up
Old 07-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneedragger
Or, if you're satisfied with 78% nitrogen, you can use the air we breathe...

True, and in using Nitrogen the loss of the Hydrogen and Helium will increase the unsprung weight of the cycle.

It's the water vapor in the air that is the problem. Nitrogen is dry. Additionally, Nitrogen has less of a tendency to leak down. Personally, I don't care. Thought some who might have an interest might want to know about this option.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:03 PM
Can assemble bike blindfolded

OP, the TPMS 'compensating' feature is absolute crap IMO, since you never know what real temperature your tires are running at (especially helpful to monitor heat in the tires, before getting too aggressive in the twisties). So it's only function is to alert you of a flat. Only problem is the rear tire is at the limit of triggering the TPMS warning right at 42 psi. I had always run 40 on rear tires due to my light weight (155#) and always riding solo, but can't do that on this stupid bike. And if I inflate it right at 42, I get the damn warning half the time, so I inflate it right past 42 (maybe 42-1/3 psi). I used to run the front tire at 38 to avoid cupping, but since I always change tires in pairs, and front lasts longer, now I run the recommended 36/42. With rear at 42 and suspension at its softest setting, bike still rides like a brick on broken pavement, but it's tolerable since I'm used to it. Good luck.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'elp_jc' for this post:
Old 07-27-2012, 10:01 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
Some guy on another site said he was taking his RT in for TPM calibration at the Dealer. Maybe it is possible??? Something a phone call would settle.

I recently took the bike in for it`s regular service, at the same time complained that the TPM was way off (5-6 psi), and frequently showing a TPM alarm until the tires warm up. Dealer informed me that they just received a new computer/software that allowed them to calibrate the TPM.

Much better now, but it still varies by a couple of PSI.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:17 PM
Can assemble bike blindfolded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epi
I recently took the bike in for it`s regular service, at the same time complained that the TPM was way off (5-6 psi), and frequently showing a TPM alarm until the tires warm up.
Thanks to the 'compensating' feature, it doesn't matter if tires are hot or cold. Even with 1/4 psi less, TPMS warning stays on all the time on my bike. I always carry a hand pump, and a couple of pumps solves the problem. Man, 2 psi vs the 6 mine underestimates the pressures would be awesome. I could set the rear tire at the 40 I like. Do you know how dealers reprogram that? My warranty just expired 2 days ago, and I wouldn't take it to a dealer (400 miles away) just for that anyway. Hope I can reprogram that with a GS-911 in the future. I'm about to order one.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'elp_jc' for this post:
Old 10-14-2012, 09:16 PM
HYPER K

Cool Re: Tire Pressure....

My understanding in that this is a sending unit problem. Grab a new sending unit (your batteries are prob getting weak by now anyhow) and odds are it will show a much more accurate reading.

I run 36/42 all the time, one up, with bags, two up, everything. On the K13S I notice a BIG difference in the front end even a couple-three pounds low. These are heavy bikes with (relatively) heavy steering; a couple pounds makes a lot of difference in tire temps and wear.

I shred the heads of my elephants in relatively warm conditions here in SoCal at stock pressures. I really wouldn't run this hyper-sport any lower unless it was for a specific purpose under track conditions.

YMMV
Old 06-13-2013, 02:14 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Oh, there are plenty of benefits to nitrogen: (1) Cool fluorescent green valve stem caps (assuming your nitrogen vendor has any marketing savvy), which will look sharp with your spinning wheel. (2) Bragging rights. OK, you were behind the curve with cell phones, iPods, thong underwear, etc. Nitrogen in tires is relatively new to the mass market. Now's your chance. (3) Reduced fire danger next time you land your space shuttle or commercial aircraft, and tell me you won't sleep better knowing that. (4) Supporting the economy by allowing your wallet to be drained of cash by some redistributionist tire dealers.
14 S1000R
Bultaco Sherpa T