I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1300 Series Motorcycles > K1300S > "K13S "Tires
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K13S "Tires Different tire-brands and suggestions

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 04-15-2014, 12:43 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,361 Times in 3,113 Posts

Re: Pirelli Angel GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paavju
Hello from Finland! My first post here. I am also considering getting Angel GT´s for my K1300S. Pirelli´s website recommends the "A" -version that has "2 ply carcass for improved stability". Seems to be that at least in Europe, in most webstores, the front tyre in version A will be available in mid may. What do you guys think, do they need to be strenghtened?

For the K1200S the same Pirelli site (http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/mo.../angel_gt.html) recommends only rear tyre to be A -version, and for example for the Kawasaki ZZR 1400, that is at least as heavy as BMW, both tyres are "normal"versions...
Why don't you post in the intro - yourself to I-BMW thread? Fill in your profile and maybe a pic of your bike. Welcome to the site.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 04-15-2014, 04:08 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paavju
Hello from Finland! My first post here. I am also considering getting Angel GT´s for my K1300S. Pirelli´s website recommends the "A" -version that has "2 ply carcass for improved stability". Seems to be that at least in Europe, in most webstores, the front tyre in version A will be available in mid may. What do you guys think, do they need to be strenghtened?

For the K1200S the same Pirelli site (http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/mo.../angel_gt.html) recommends only rear tyre to be A -version, and for example for the Kawasaki ZZR 1400, that is at least as heavy as BMW, both tyres are "normal"versions...

The A version is fine for normal, two up, touring, and racing along your favourite piece of road . I have spoken to many riders on all different types of machines and have not heard one negative comment yet.
1986 Moto Guzzi LeMans 1000 since new.
Old 05-06-2014, 11:34 AM
Getting up to speed

I have just changed from Metzeler Sportec M5s to Pirelli Angel GTs. I did a lot of online research (including reading all of this thread!) and had narrowed my choice down to four options:
  • Metzeler Z8s
  • Michelin PIlot Road 4s
  • Bridgestone BT021s
  • Pirelli Angel GTs
In then end I asked Chris, the owner of FWR Tyres in London, (who has ridden them all), what he would suggest for my bike & style of riding. He suggested all of the above would be fine plus something from Dunlop (Roadsmart 2s?) as "they have a deal on at the moment". When I asked about the characteristics of the tyres he said that wet or dry grip and longevity were roughly the same between the 5 options but the Pirelli's "turn in a little easier". I thought that might be good for me and the K13s. Sold!

Well, what can I say? Would it be an understatement to state that the Pirelli Angel GTs have transformed the handling of the BMW K1300s? Maybe. You decide.

Yes they do seem to turn in easier. I have noticed a drastic reduction in the amount of effort needed to initiate a turn. Moreover they seem to be more stable in the turns than the Metzelers, especially in slower corners. My confidence in manoeuvring the bike at any speed has risen significantly.
Also I find them more comfortable over the bumps than the Metzeler M5s. So much so that where I used to ride in Normal ESA setting I am now happy to leave it in Sport!

Took them on a 100mile round journey from South West London to Sussex on Sunday and found them to be very enjoyable at speed too. Perhaps a little less stable in a straight line than the Metzelers, but nothing that would cause concern. The big test will come in 2 weeks time when I ride to Berlin and back. Hello Autobahns!

Pirelli Angel GTs - highly recommended by this K13S rider.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'PeterD' for this post:
Old 05-06-2014, 12:32 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD
I have just changed from Metzeler Sportec M5s to Pirelli Angel GTs. I did a lot of online research (including reading all of this thread!) and had narrowed my choice down to four options:
  • Metzeler Z8s
  • Michelin PIlot Road 4s
  • Bridgestone BT021s
  • Pirelli Angel GTs
In then end I asked Chris, the owner of FWR Tyres in London, (who has ridden them all), what he would suggest for my bike & style of riding. He suggested all of the above would be fine plus something from Dunlop (Roadsmart 2s?) as "they have a deal on at the moment". When I asked about the characteristics of the tyres he said that wet or dry grip and longevity were roughly the same between the 5 options but the Pirelli's "turn in a little easier". I thought that might be good for me and the K13s. Sold!

Well, what can I say? Would it be an understatement to state that the Pirelli Angel GTs have transformed the handling of the BMW K1300s? Maybe. You decide.

Yes they do seem to turn in easier. I have noticed a drastic reduction in the amount of effort needed to initiate a turn. Moreover they seem to be more stable in the turns than the Metzelers, especially in slower corners. My confidence in manoeuvring the bike at any speed has risen significantly.
Also I find them more comfortable over the bumps than the Metzeler M5s. So much so that where I used to ride in Normal ESA setting I am now happy to leave it in Sport!

Took them on a 100mile round journey from South West London to Sussex on Sunday and found them to be very enjoyable at speed too. Perhaps a little less stable in a straight line than the Metzelers, but nothing that would cause concern. The big test will come in 2 weeks time when I ride to Berlin and back. Hello Autobahns!

Pirelli Angel GTs - highly recommended by this K13S rider.

Peter,
I am running the Z8s at the moment and find them to be very good. However, I've been toying with swapping to the GTs ahead of a 3k mile roadtrip through Europe next month. I would be very keen to hear your feedback on how things go!

TBH, I'm only interested in having the sportiest/sticky hoops that will get me through the roadtrip (Pyreness - south of France - Grossglockner), and am also considering the newly M7RRs which are the replacements for the M5s.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:53 PM
Shooting the gap

Okay, so seeing as i started this thread i thought it was time for an update, or end of life finding . Wheels are in the back of the ute and will be dropped off this morning for a set of Z8 Roadtech's .I have been very pleased with the Angel's but wanted to compare with the Z8's to see if they do the same k's and wear the same. I had a 1000k's on the last set of Z8's i tried before i binned the bike so now it's time for a full test.

As i said, very pleased with the Angel's, up until recently where i noticed the bike was getting harder to turn in, i perceived a loss of feedback from the front, and the front tended to follow road imperfections as well as a few instances of split second grip loss. The rear i reckon is good for another few thosand k's and the tread depth of the front would indicate quite a few more thousand k's left, but im not going to put safety second to seeing how many k's i can get out of a tyre.

But 11,100k's is the most i've ever got out of a set of tyres (that's 2 1/2 sets of any other tyre) so the Angel's go to the top of the list at legendary status.

This is the front. Still plenty of tread but the wear on the edges tells me from past experience that the suspension set up is wrong

And this is the rear. Never had a tyre that wore so evenly over it's life and still going strong. A score of 100 out of 100 for this one.

So now the test starts. Obviously in the beggining the Z8's will have it all over the Angel's, the new v old syndrome but the proof will be in the latter stages of life.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:37 PM
Shooting the gap

Well, all my good intentions just got blown out of the water

I just dropped the wheels of and Con sais to me "you don't want Z8's with what i see you've done to these, you need M5's". He goes on to say that Metzeler Make Pirelli bla bla bla and that while i won't get the k's out of them, but it will be close, i will be blown away with the handling. I told him what mileage i got from them and that if it wasn't for the front going off they would last a few more thousand k's. He did a double take and looked back at me and said "mate, they're fucked"

And then he hits me with the clincher, "i'd like you to try them so i'll do you a special at $380 a set". So i figure the $80 saving over the Z8's for a few less thosand k's is much of muchness so i accepted his deal.

So the comparison between a sport touring tyre and a sport ?? tyre is a moot point
Just out of curiousity i asked him about feedback on the Angel's and he said it's been all good but that he won't stock them any more because retail is now over $500 a set. He reckons the Z8's compare well.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double.d

I just dropped the wheels of and Con sais to me "you don't want Z8's with what i see you've done to these, you need M5's". He goes on to say that Metzeler Make Pirelli bla bla bla and that while i won't get the k's out of them, but it will be close, i will be blown away with the handling. I told him what mileage i got from them and that if it wasn't for the front going off they would last a few more thousand k's. He did a double take and looked back at me and said "mate, they're fucked"

And then he hits me with the clincher, "i'd like you to try them so i'll do you a special at $380 a set". So i figure the $80 saving over the Z8's for a few less thosand k's is much of muchness so i accepted his deal.

So the comparison between a sport touring tyre and a sport ?? tyre is a moot point
Just out of curiousity i asked him about feedback on the Angel's and he said it's been all good but that he won't stock them any more because retail is now over $500 a set. He reckons the Z8's compare well.

Glad you liked the Angel GTs. I'm only 1,000 miles into my set and they still look brand new. I hope you like the new M5s. I had M5s on my bike before I switched to the Angels. Sure, I liked the grip and turn in just fine, but I barely got 2,500 miles out of them!! There's no way I'd spoon another set of M5's on when I can get nearly the same grip and handling with the Angels but enjoy 2x, 3x, maybe even 4x the life with them....
Old 05-08-2014, 01:51 AM
Shooting the gap

That's good to know Nathan. I do hope i get more than the 4,000k's i normally get from a sport tyre though.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:17 AM
To the moon Alice!

Just purchased a set of Angel Gts for my K1300GT here in Montreal. Rear with A spec were a little more money but the big gurl requires the reinforced side wall. Fair price, $298 for the pair

1973 BLACK NORTON COMMANDO 850
2009 RED K1300GT
Old 06-01-2014, 11:43 PM
To the moon Alice!

One thing I noticed on my way home with the Angel GTs is that they have a higher profile than the Metz Z6. I now have to stretch a bit to be flat footed at a stop.

2009 RED K1300GT
Old 06-02-2014, 01:36 AM
Administrator

Dennis:

The price you paid for the tires is as good as on line prices - you did real good.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 06-02-2014, 04:31 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor D
Just purchased a set of Angel Gts for my K1300GT here in Montreal. Rear with A spec were a little more money but the big gurl requires the reinforced side wall. Fair price, $298 for the pair

Only 180 width on the rear tyre? Does the GT not wear the 190s like the K3100 S & R?
Old 06-02-2014, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterD
Only 180 width on the rear tyre? Does the GT not wear the 190s like the K3100 S & R?
That is the correct tire size for the GT.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 06-02-2014, 09:02 AM
To the moon Alice!

[quote=brucev]Dennis:

The price you paid for the tires is as good as on line prices - you did real good.[/QUOTE

Moto Inter in Montreal has great tire prices, At the Bike Show they offer 50% off cash only for a pre order. I believe the tires are a lost leader. I find their installation charge reasonable as well. They remove , balance , and reinstall on the bike for $80 the pair.

2009 RED K1300GT
Old 06-04-2014, 06:30 PM
Shooting the gap

Just ordered a set of Angel GT's for my K1300S. Cheapest place I found in the US is www.rockymountainatvmc.com. 190/55ZR-17 Rear $168.99, 120/70ZR-17 Front $112.99. Free shipping and I got additional 5% off that using a quick online coupon. Total $268. Tires are in stock and will be delivered in 3 business days. Can't beat that with a stick!

By the way, spoke to my BMW dealer (MAX BMW). The told me that the regular rear Angel GT is indicated for the K13S, not the A-spec rear tire. [Also of note, in the US, the regular rear tire costs $8-10 more than the A-spec.] Also, they have standard price of $99 to mount and balance, whether I use their tires or supply my own.

I'm going to have them do the tire change, along with my fuel pump recall, and installation of the heli bars. And I'll have them put Beech's riser plates and a Powerbronze rear hugger on while they have the wheel off. (Wanted $126.09 for an oil and filter change. Figured I'll do that myself for $35 parts plus labor.)

Leo
Old 06-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoist
Just ordered a set of Angel GT's for my K1300S. Cheapest place I found in the US is www.rockymountainatvmc.com. 190/55ZR-17 Rear $168.99, 120/70ZR-17 Front $112.99...
Rocky Mountain is unbelievable. I ordered the tires about 2 hours ago. Since then I've gotten three email notifications, this last one indicating that the tires have shipped. They rock! Not just their prices, but their service.

Leo
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Leoist' for this post:
Old 07-31-2014, 06:29 AM
Aussie Moderator
Thanked 4,956 Times in 2,028 Posts

Just fitted a set of Pirelli Angel GT's. Only a few hundred kms on them, love the way they drop into a corner.
Last set of tyre we're the Angel ST's, I got 11,000km out of them, and was very pleased with the handling and life of the tyre, they did get a bit of a flat spot in the middle at the end, but most of the riding was commuting to work and some freeway. They were surprisingly good in the wet, to look at you might not think so.
No cupping with the Pirelli's, a problem that seems to haunt the competition with the PR3's and maybe the 4's. Anyway, if you like the michelins, try the Pirelli's, I did, and I am very happy.
Will post an update and pics in a few thousand

Cheers
Kiwimat

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
Old 07-31-2014, 06:31 AM
Aussie Moderator

Quote:

How did the different tyre go so far double d?

Cheers
Kiwimat

Old 07-31-2014, 07:01 PM
Shooting the gap

So far so good Mat. I feel confident with them and I ride as hard as i dare, they do everything i require of them.

But as i said previously, all new tyres are good so i think the real test comes at the point when there is only 20% life left in them.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:06 AM
Site Contributor

My GT's have just rolled over 10000Kms. In this , I have also done 1 Eastern Creek Track day, 1 California Superbike School & a Sunday morning run with KiwiMat , & they're all equally as hard on tyres

So far so good, I cannot fault them at all, & will definitely replace them with the same when the time comes. I reckon I should get another 3-4000Kms out of this set

http://www.i-bmw.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1406984322
http://www.i-bmw.com/attachment.php?...1&d=1406984322
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (34.2 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (32.3 KB, 37 views)
Old 08-22-2014, 08:28 AM

Just replaced my Angel GT FRONT tire, wish I'd taken pics beforehand, but the tire was down to the wear bars, it might have had a couple hundred miles left, but I don't like getting down to the threads. I got 6,500 miles of serious riding out of them (emphasis on very aggressive twisties at speed). This seems exceptional to me as I felt I got the sharp handling and impressive grip of aggressive sport tires (I've run Metzler M5s, Conti Road Attacks, and Pierelli Rosso's) but with much better longevity (I've never managed more than 5,000 miles from any of the 3 I listed). The tire never squared off with a big flat spot and the wear was more even than any tire I've ever run before.

Unfortunately, I picked up a screw in my REAR tire last month and had to replace it before I had worn it down. It seemed on track to provide similar mileage, but I'll have to wait another 6k miles to find out for sure (fingers crossed I don't get another puncture!)

Interesting that the wear front to back seemed well matched as well. On every other tire I've run, the rear tire always gives out long before the front... almost 2 to 1 on some tires. But that didn't seem to be the case on these tires.

As always, and literally this time, YMMV!!
Old 08-22-2014, 08:40 AM
Getting up to speed

Just fitted the Angel GT's this week. It feels like a different bike, corners so well and excellent in the wet weather!

So glad I did my homework on tyre this time around!
Old 08-10-2015, 09:16 PM
To the moon Alice!

Quote:

Since my tires are just shy of the TWI, I just ordered my second set after 12,000 KMs (7,200 US). They are a great sticky tire that held together very well with little distortion till the end of it's life cycle. Considering about 50% was ridden 2 up with baggage there were no issues regarding the side walls (A spec). My only complaint is the price increase over last year, $80 more for the set versus last years bargain price that was less than $300. So today that's $380 at 40% off list.... CAD

2009 RED K1300GT
Old 08-12-2015, 08:52 PM
To the moon Alice!

Quote:
Since my tires are just shy of the TWI, I just ordered my second set after 12,000 KMs (7,200 US). They are a great sticky tire that held together very well with little distortion till the end of it's life cycle. Considering about 50% was ridden 2 up with baggage there were no issues regarding the side walls (A spec). My only complaint is the price increase over last year, $80 more for the set versus last years bargain price that was less than $300. So today that's $380 at 40% off list.... CAD

And voila, my new set Always fun riding home in the rain with a spanking new set

Oh and 2 front wheel bearings at 82,000KMs $35 ea. plus labor

2009 RED K1300GT
Old 08-12-2015, 10:23 PM
Getting up to speed

I have GTs on my bike now and have a lot of life left in them. I'm very pleased with them thus far, but I'm always looking to the future and I'm wondering if anyone can offer a first hand account of Angel GT compared to Diablo Rosso II.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:28 AM
Twisted Wrister

Running GT's on the GT, Z-6's on the RS & Diablo's on the Busa. On the Bmr's, change both @ the same time, yet the Busa chewed through the original rear b4 the front, so on a 2nd rear on it.

The Diablo's are more of a Street/track day type skin & won't wear as long as a "Sport Touring" skin...

As of JUNE-2018,
'85K100RS,Original Owner,DOWN@*200,620*mi
'96R1100RS,3rd Owner,78,735mi.
'03K1200GT, 4th Owner,53,265mi. To replace the '85
'07 650 V-STROM, 2nd Owner, 37,600mi.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:04 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Just had a set of GT's fitted and its another thumbs up from me , also had a service and the rear flange done at same time, can't believe the difference to the outgoing Sport Attacks! Now just need some decent weather
Old 09-11-2015, 02:36 PM
Twisted Wrister

Just got a set of the "ST"s which were the precursor to the "GT"s.

190/55/17 and 120/70/17 for $262.00 shipped.

They wanted $295 for the GT's

Got them from Dennis Kirk.

Rock Mountain has the GT's for $278.00

A good deal on either one.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:36 PM
Aussie Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCMAN 70
Just got a set of the "ST"s which were the precursor to the "GT"s.

190/55/17 and 120/70/17 for $262.00 shipped.

They wanted $295 for the GT's

Got them from Dennis Kirk.

Rock Mountain has the GT's for $278.00

A good deal on either one.

I had the ST's before the GT's and they are also an amazing tyre, I thought they tipped in to the corner a touch quickler than the GT's, your going to love them!

Cheers
Kiwimat

Old 09-13-2015, 01:02 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMat
I had the ST's before the GT's and they are also an amazing tyre, I thought they tipped in to the corner a touch quickler than the GT's, your going to love them!

Cheers
Kiwimat

That's good news.

My '12 has the stock Metzlers's on it from the PO. They are fairly squared off with almost 6000 slab miles.

This in turn causes the bike to corner like shite!

I've always been a Michelin guy but have seen nothing but great reviews about the GT and ST so I thought I'd give them a whirl. Not to mention the price was right.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 09-16-2015, 07:04 AM
Thanked 2,237 Times in 937 Posts

G'day Folks

So I had a good look at my tyres today, and the Michelin PR3 on the front is down to sock on the right hand side. 12700kms on this tyre so not too bad

Rear is PR3 with 5000kms and still looks great

Question: Is it OK to have mismatched tyres front to rear? Like say if I change front Pirelli Angel GT. Seems most people here have only positive things to say about them.

The Michelins have been great too, so should I change?

I need help with one of life's great questions
Old 09-16-2015, 09:29 AM
Certified V4 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor350
Question: Is it OK to have mismatched tyres front to rear? Like say if I change front Pirelli Angel GT. Seems most people here have only positive things to say about them.

I need help with one of life's great questions
You are likely to get a vast array of responses to this question as there truly is NOT a wrong answer.

SOME will say that you should always use ONLY a matching set (same manufacturer) AND change them out at the same time.

SOME will say that you should always use ONLY a matching set (same manufacturer) BUT change them out as the need arises.

SOME will say it doesn't matter a damn about any of it.

I have mix-matched though the years for a variety of reasons, mainly being a cheap bastage I guess looking back and wanting to "finish off" a tire. Other times simply not preferring the early dual compound tires up front.

It is my opinion, and I'd guess just about everyone's, that the best handling set of tires IS A BRAND NEW SET. If that can be agreed upon, there is the understanding that anything less then that (2 new tires) is a compromise. This makes the LEAST amount of sense from a COST perspective but is the BEST choice from a PERFORMANCE perspective.

So now to face the question you posed, using two different tire manufacturers. I have done just this in the past as well, mixing Pirelli and Michelin, Michelin Pilot Power series vs Michelin Pilot ROAD series, Bridgestone front and Michelin rear. In some cases I've actually PREFERRED the odd couple (in the instance of a Pilot Power front matched with a Pilot ROAD rear for example). The issue, if you will, is how the tire profiles match up if they were not designed together. Some tires have a rounder (taller) profile then others and if your front and rear want to turn in at different rates. Theoretically it sounds like disaster, in real life I've never felt doomed to death running any of the mismatched pairs, though sometimes they have not felt overly confidence inspiring (especially in the case of a partially worn and a new).

My advice to you would be to install the Angel GT on the front if that is your desire. I'm pretty sure you won't notice a tremendous difference vs the Pilot Road 3 you have now (when it was new). If/when the rear starts to handle funny due to it's profile being deformed you will lose the advantage of the new front.

All of this is a lot of hot air to simply say, YES YOU WILL BE FINE. While we all like to run new fronts and new rears, you are not making and appointment with the Grim Reaper by mixing sets.
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad
IBA #25520 - Iron Butting the Blue Ridge Parkway

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:26 PM
Twisted Wrister

I will certainly agree that a new tire is much better handling than a worn one, especially if the tire is worn (typically) down the center and squared off. I put a new set of GT's on my k1300s when the original M3's were 3000 miles old, and they felt great! Turn in was fast and easy, transition to extreme lean angle was stable and predictable, and traction was great.

I put 5000 miles on the set of GT's, and they were getting worn down in the center and squared off, just like all the other tires I've had on motorcycles in Arizona. Turn in was slowish and leaning over was unpredictable and 'jittery' as I transitioned from flat to side curve. The bike resisted turning.

Put another new set of GT's on - and back to being magical again.

The only way to really compare tire handling would be to swap between two identical bikes with new tires on them. ALL new tires are going to feel better than well-used ones if the old ones have a squared-off profile.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:31 PM
Getting up to speed

About the Angel GT, be careful when riding at warp speed for long trips, they don't hold the distance and the stress.

Had to be towed to a tire shop.

That has been a one time experience, then I went back to the Pilot Road (was on PR3 deffore the Angel GT, then upgraded to the PR4).
Old 09-17-2015, 05:52 AM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2015
Thanked 2,213 Times in 1,066 Posts

John, my fellow inaugural member; I'll throw 2 bob in.

The around Oz trip I did in 2010, Dunlop road-smart on the front, Metzler Z6 on the back.
Z6 failed in outback Qld,…speed & hot day had nothing to do with it. Stranded at Mount Garnett for 36 hours wasn't fun; sure I heard banjo's on the Sunday evening.
Dunlop delaminated just short of Brisbane. Consequently, haven't purchased either of those tyre brands since.

It is to my understanding, the advantage of running a "matched" set of tyres, the tread patterns will align on the road, thus the front is sweeping the water, for the rear tyre?

Buy try what you like mate; the only thing that is going to spear you off into the scenery, is you,….not a mismatched set of tyres.

Sorry for the hi-jack Dave, John made me do it; back to topic.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'paulmogs' for this post:
Old 09-17-2015, 07:41 AM
Thanked 2,237 Times in 937 Posts

Booked the bike in and ordered a Michelin PR4. My decision was based solely on the fact that the French know their rubbers
Old 09-17-2015, 07:42 AM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRide
About the Angel GT, be careful when riding at warp speed for long trips, they don't hold the distance and the stress.

Another fine example of why I will not buy a tire without a center grove. Almost every tire mfg has gone to this stupid design of no center groves and it has caught many a good rider by surprise.

At least the PR4s still give some visual warning.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:00 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:

Had to be towed to a tire shop.

That has been a one time experience, then I went back to the Pilot Road (was on PR3 deffore the Angel GT, then upgraded to the PR4).

Can you give some specificsabout how ths happened?

How many miles were on the tire?

What were the sustained speeds?

Is the tire past the wear indicators in the middle?

Were you roding 2 up, luggage or solo?

Thanks.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:34 PM
Shooting the gap

This same thing happened to my first GT. The tyre above is at the end of it's life, as mine was before the delamination started so you would not try to get any more out of it. Just change it and be done. My circumstances were the same, a few hundred k's at high speed with just myself and no luggage.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:48 AM
Twisted Wrister

I typically run about 80 mph when slabbing it.

Can't imagine going that speed would cause the tires to wear out inherently quicker???

I typically get 6000 miles out of a rear tire (Pilot Roads).

Curious to see what I get out of the Angels.
Old 09-18-2015, 05:46 AM
Shooting the gap

The best i got was 11,500 klm which is 7,000 miles, but i noticed that the handling was compromised in the last 1,000klm so if i get another set i would change them at 10-11,000 klm.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:10 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
The best i got was 11,500 klm which is 7,000 miles, but i noticed that the handling was compromised in the last 1,000klm so if i get another set i would change them at 10-11,000 klm.

That sounds about right considering the weight and HP of these bikes. I typically go through two rears to a front.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:46 AM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
I agree with this comment - I got 11500 kms out of my last set of Angel GTs - that was totally 2 up riding with luggage, all up we carry 60kgs of luggage when we tour. We are just 75kg and 60kg - so total load weight of around 200kg.. The handling was fine right up till I changed them. I am running 42 rear and 38 front.
Just fitted another set of Angel GTs because I love the confidence that they instill, the long life and the wet weather performance.
1990 K75S Special edition - wifes tourer (SOLD in 2017)
2008 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 - wifes sport bike
1996 K1100RS - Brunhilde I - (sold in 2007)
Old 09-19-2015, 07:08 AM
Aussie Moderator

Quote:

That's about what I'm getting too, wearing pretty evenly I must say, not cupping on the front.
They do get very squirrelly right at the end. I will keep putting them on.

Cheers
Kiwimat

Old 09-19-2015, 06:22 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Can you give some specificsabout how ths happened?

How many miles were on the tire?

What were the sustained speeds?

Is the tire past the wear indicators in the middle?

Were you roding 2 up, luggage or solo?
Thanks.

They were used somewhere between 7000 and 8000 km (4300 and 5000 mi).

I was on a 1600 km (1000 mi), 800 km one way, trip through Germany from Brussels to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, so mostly on the Autobahn were speed are unlimited on some sections of the highway.

I was half of the trip back, so I had done on the weekend 1200 km (750 mi), 400 km from home.

On Belgian highways, cruise speed is 120 kph (75 mph), same in Germany except where it's unrestricted. Then I cruised at 180-200 kph (111-125 mph) with some top speed at 260 kph (160 kph), but not too much sustained as I didn't want to lose the bag behind me.

Tire were still not at the wear limit.

I rode solo with luggage.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:03 PM
Twisted Wrister

Tire pressures?
Old 09-19-2015, 07:43 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxazcraig
Tire pressures?

As prescribed. 2.5 front and 2.9 rear.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:46 PM
Getting up to speed

From comments made by FlyRide and another poster from Australia,Mir seems to me that excessive heat build up in the tyres is what causes the Angel GTs to wear rapidly. It would certainly explain the premature failure after hours at high speed on the Autobahn. Here in NZ you will lose your license if you go much above 120kmh, and tickets are very expensive if you go above 110kmh, so our touring is done at around the limit of 100kmh. I did notice last summer when the temperatures were in the 30c area that the rear tyre showed signs of ripping, but it was already getting close to 11,000 kms,Mao I just rode it home as it was ( a bit squirrelly) and then changed it at 11,500. The dealer commented that it was stuffed ! But Inexpect them to say that anyway. It was not down to the wear strips,mouth I was not prepared to ride it in the wet like that with my precious wife on the back !
I replaced the tyres front & rear with the same again... Overall I love these tyres.
Would be net rested to know how members in the USA desert and southern regions find them to stand up in the summer heat?
Old 09-19-2015, 09:48 PM
Getting up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiMat
That's about what I'm getting too, wearing pretty evenly I must say, not cupping on the front.
They do get very squirrelly right at the end. I will keep putting them on.

Cheers
Kiwimat
Yes agree with KiwiMat - they get really squirrelly at around 11000km. I am on my third set now, and unless they further improve this model I will keep on getting them.
How do they go in the Aussie heat mate?
Old 09-19-2015, 11:04 PM
Certified V4 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiltzig
Yes agree with KiwiMat - they get really squirrelly at around 11000km.
Good to know the expectations that I should have for end of life. Been running a set on two different bikes but haven't run a pair to end of life yet. I was hoping that they wouldn't get "squirelly" at end of life. That "squirrelly" feeling was really the only beef I had with the Michelin Pilot Road series tire.

All in all I'd rather deal with "squirrelly" then cords and lack of rubber to end a trip however. Been there... done that (multiple times actually).
Dirt: 2004 Honda CRF80 ~ son :: 2006 Honda CRF70 ~ daughter #1 :: 1985 Honda ATC70 ~ daughter #2 :: 2006 Honda CRF150 ~ unclaimed :: 2007 Honda CRF450X ~ Dad

Old 09-20-2015, 01:27 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiltzig
I replaced the tyres front & rear with the same again... Overall I love these tyres.
Would be net rested to know how members in the USA desert and southern regions find them to stand up in the summer heat?

I've been riding in the Phoenix heat since 1980, all on BMW. (R100RS, K100RS, and K1300s).

My typical mileage numbers in the past have been around 5000 miles rear, and up to 10,000 miles front, with the usual Continental and Metzelers of the day. (ME33 front, ME77 rear). After tiring of replacing a rear tire every few months I tried a Metzeler Marathon ME88 on the rear of my K100RS, and it lasted about twice as long. Back then a set of Pirellis would only last 2500 on the rear. I typically did high-speed (for a K100) a lot, being in the 80+ region when I slowed down on one of my main rides.

I've had a K1300s for almost a year now, and I'm on my 3rd set of tires at 8300 miles. The stock M3s lasted just under 3000 miles, though I could have had another 500 or so, maybe. (They were at the wear bars). I did a lot of hard acceleration and a pretty good amount of 100+ mph driving on them, but not during the summer.

The second set of tires were Pirelli GT's, and I got about 5000 miles on them, including 2300 on a tour of Colorado in July (and temps were cold for most of that trip). I again changed them out before they were worn completely out. They were close to the wear bars, I think.

I now have another set of GT's on the K1300s, with about 500 miles on them so far, most of that in 100F+ weather. I'm not sure the heat is making much difference, but I know from experience that high speed riding evaporates them a lot more quickly than going near the speed limit. (My fuel mileage also drops from 48mpg touring Colorado to 38mpg racing around Phoenix, to give you some idea how I ride).
Old 09-20-2015, 06:08 PM
Twisted Wrister

Pictures - after I got back from a Colorado trip, I opted to change to new tires. Compared to other tire pics I've seen here, I left a LOT of tread on the tires, but I also found a big improvement in handling (turn-in, mostly) because the tires were getting squared-off.

Here is what the tires looked like after approx 5500 miles:

Old 09-21-2015, 02:08 AM
Getting up to speed

Those tyres look similar to what mine did after 11000 kms - the front is almost identical in squareness to what mine looked like, but your rear tyre looks a little less worn than mine which and a lot of scalloping of the sides, and was a lot more squared off. The annoying thing for me was that the centre of the tread wore so little compared to the sides, and they were still well clear of the wear strips, so if the centre had worn a little more, then it would not have been so square and would not have given that "flopping down" into the turn feeling. However the grip was still good all the way to the end of life.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:57 PM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
They were used somewhere between 7000 and 8000 km (4300 and 5000 mi).

I was on a 1600 km (1000 mi), 800 km one way, trip through Germany from Brussels to Garmisch-Partenkirchen, so mostly on the Autobahn were speed are unlimited on some sections of the highway.

I was half of the trip back, so I had done on the weekend 1200 km (750 mi), 400 km from home.

On Belgian highways, cruise speed is 120 kph (75 mph), same in Germany except where it's unrestricted. Then I cruised at 180-200 kph (111-125 mph) with some top speed at 260 kph (160 kph), but not too much sustained as I didn't want to lose the bag behind me.

Tire were still not at the wear limit.

I rode solo with luggage.

Appreciate the info.

Fortunately (or not), I generally cruise at 75-80 mph where I'm located. So hopefully won't experience the higher spped tire wear that you did.

Glad you didn't get hurt with the flat tire running at that speed.

Thanks.

Mike
Old 09-23-2015, 01:48 AM
Shooting the gap

9200 miles on my Pirelli Angels, 3000+ miles on the Alaskan Hwy as some of you know how rough the roads up in Alaska can be on your tires, specially on a loaded bike and the rest of the mileage on the US West Coast.

I think the tires would lasted longer if I ride it here on the lower 48 than up there on the Alaskan Hwy.

I am very satisfied with the tires performance and the mileage, I think it is a very sturdy tire for sport touring.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:03 PM
Getting up to speed

From my experience with these tyres I would say that if you ride long stretches of straight road, then they could last up to 50% longer than if you ride twisties. Here in NZ the roads are quite twisty. My Angels have always worn out on the sides first. The centre strip has been very hard and worn very little in comparison.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:36 PM
Shooting the gap

Excellent reports thanks! The majority of my riding is to work and back hence the massive flat-spot in the center of my PR4 rear that actually goes concave before the belts show up. I'm sure my fat ass, bags, and heavy grip don't help.

Looks like I'll be happy with my Angel GTs. $278 shipped from Rocky Mountain for AHR.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:05 AM
Certified V4 Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundMountain
Excellent reports thanks! The majority of my riding is to work and back hence the massive flat-spot in the center of my PR4 rear that actually goes concave before the belts show up. I'm sure my fat ass, bags, and heavy grip don't help.

Looks like I'll be happy with my Angel GTs. $278 shipped from Rocky Mountain for AHR.
I'll be curious to know what you think after comparing them to the Michelin Pilot Road series [as regards to flat-spotting the center section of tire].

I really enjoyed the handling of the Angel GT's when new as they require less turn in effort then the Michelin Roads of which I came from. While I haven't finished a set of them [Angel's] yet, I have them on two bikes currently BMW K1200RS and Honda VFR. I don't have the install mileage noted for the VFR as they were installed on a trip where the cords started showing on the side of the tire. But, I do have the mileage record of the installation on the Beemer. There I'm disheartened to report that I only have 1900 miles on them and I'm starting to see the center section flatten already. The VFR is flattening as well, but I'm sure I have twice that mileage on them. Some of this I attribute to being in the hell that is Pennsylvania and having less access to serious curvy roads, but I'm thinking I will likely go back to the Michelin's again to see how the center holds up here in PA.

Old 09-25-2015, 06:41 PM
Twisted Wrister

Hmm, I'm surprised to hear that you have a flat spot at 1900 miles.

What kind of air pressures are you running?
Old 09-26-2015, 02:16 PM
Certified V4 Nut

Quote:
What kind of air pressures are you running?
38/42