I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 10-16-2015, 12:29 AM
Getting up to speed

Location of VIN, and engine number

To my fellow riders, and more specifically Californians, yesterday I tried to register my bike at the DMV (4 hours and ended up getting reffered to the CHP due to their incompetence), but they wouldn't let me because they couldn't find my VIN or enigne number. After poking around a bit, I found them, and I want to share this information so hopefully it doesn't happen to someone else. Everything you need is on the lower right side of the bike. The federal compliance label is behind the O2 sensor on the exhaust, the vin is engraved onto the side of the frame facing the front of the bike, and the engine number is between the bell housing and crankcase on the engine, under the faring. A flashlight will help immensely in finding all of these.

The CA compliance label is on the bottom of the seat, which is a weird place to put it, but whatever.

Pics for reference.

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'skylinrcr01' for this post:
Old 10-16-2015, 11:27 AM
Thanked 2,070 Times in 1,417 Posts

Re: Location of VIN, and engine number

Hi Tyler

Good information, especially the engine number location, almost hidden

thanks
Old 10-03-2017, 02:16 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Wanted to say thank you for this post, as the same identical crap happened to me on inspection in Arizona. Inspector wanted to impound the bike because he was too lazy to look for it and countered with the owner is supposed to know where these numbers are not the inspector. And God forbid that he get down on his knees to look for it with a flashlight.

The inspector I first had was an older guy with a total attitude on the subject. Luckily for me there was a younger more conscientious inspector that came over when they wanted to roll it over to impound and pointed out where the needed numbers were located. No apologies from the turd that didn't know or want to do his job of course and no thank you to his fellow inspector that did know the job.

Welcome to the world of civil servants.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:25 PM
Getting up to speed

No worries, glad I was able to help you out. BTW, not all civil servants are bad, just seems like those who work at the DMV are.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:15 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Civil servants are there to serve. Some people have "crap lives" and shouldn't be put in a position of authority that enable them to take out their inadequacies on the public. I come from a long line of civil servants (currently on 4th generation Fire, PD, Fire, EMS) in NYC. Sometimes the public push unrealistic expectations and demand services that are above and beyond. It appears this DMV worker should have asked for assitance from a co-worker or his supervisor before resulting to threats.

Take a look at FDNY response statistics. Some companies are doing 6,000 runs a year. Some of the calls are so far off it is laughable BUT we continue to do the job.

Had a Park's Department worker tell my wife she couldn't go in the water on a Staten Island beach. She had her clothes on and had the top of her feet covered at the water's edge. Been there with the guy from DMV. Some people shouldn't have any authority and abuse the little they have.