I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S/KR" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S/KR" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 05-04-2016, 02:24 PM
Shooting the gap

08 K1200S build/questions/mods

I recently bought an 08 K1200S tri color. The bike is equipped with factory side cases (panniers), a tinted windscreen, carbon fiber tank "cover", frame slider on one side, SS brake lines, Scorpion slip-on and two HID headlights. Seller included a Givi top case but no adapter or rack. The bike has no heated grips, electronic suspension, or center stand.

Pic of bike just after I bought it:

First order of business when I rode it the 225 miles back home was to remove a parking permit sticker from the tank surround area (even though it actually matched the blue paint!!)

Then I washed the beast and cleaned the beautiful blue wheels. The fluids had been changed but I will check all that stuff. Tires are nice fresh Michelins.

Faults with the bike:
1. Scratches on rt side fairing from tip over
2. Scratched casing protector
3. No right side frame slider
4. Two of the headlights are HID. The third one is not...
5. Headlights need adjusting up
6. Brakes feel a bit mushy when bike is not moving
7. Roughish idle and a bit snatchy at low RPMs.

Solution for faults:
1. Scratches can probably be touched up. Other than Colorrite, has anyone tried to touch up a tri color?
2. The scratches casing protector can either be swapped to the left side where it is hardly visible under the fairing, or replaced, or repainted.
3. I guess I should get a frame slider for the right side.
4. Are there three headlights? The very right side light has regular bulb.
5. I tried adjusting the headlights. Maybe the adjuster isnt working well but it helped some.
6. Ill try bleeding the brakes. Sometimes people forget to bleed the master cylinder first. The brakes do work extremely well.
7. Ill check and see if the bike has updated software. I think the airbox mod does not apply to this year bike? Any solutions to help it run better at low RPMS? The idle ought to be really smooth. Maybe balancing the cylinders?

Modifications:
1. Tail light aka baboons butt. I prefer clear lenses as they give the bike a more modern look. LEDs are supposed to be safer although there are different schools of thought on this. They do turn on faster giving cagers slightly more time to react to braking. However, LEDs are unidirectional so its a bit harder to see from the side. I like the K1300S tail light but its a bit fiddley to install without a warning light. Pirate makes a nice clear lenses. Im trying to decided between the K1300 light and Pirates light. I prefer BMW parts if possible.

2. Turn signal lenses. These should be cleared out. Also, I think the clear lenses with go with the light silver very nicely.

3. Throttle lock. This bike deserves an electronic cruise control but they appear to be ghastly expensive. Throttlemeister are pricey for a throttlelock but I think this is the best way to go.

4. Centerstand. Im leaning toward the BMW factory stand. SW Motech is supposed to make a good one.

5. Heated grips. Even here is toasty So Cal, I find heated grips takes the edge off cooler evening temperatures. Id prefer to retrofit the factory units if that can be done? I hear Oxford makes a nice unit.

6. Seat. The seat is surprisingly comfortable. I believe that spending $200 to modify the seat is money well spent as comfort and looks are both improved. I feel like the seat should be widened some and raised on the sides to cradle my rear end. I think some blue stitching would look good or maybe even a bit of blue vinyl to bring out the blue from the bike. I think a nice embroidered blue "S" would look nice on the upright part of the pillion seat. A rear cowl should go over the rear and mybe painted matching silver. Something like this:

Maybe adding a heated element to the seat is worthwhile? Has anyone done this?

7. Rear case rack and adapter. I do a lot of touring so a rear rack would be good with a Givi adapter. Is the BMW rack sturdy enough? SW Motech makes a nice rack I believe.

8. Front suspension. I heard the K1300 lower arm improves the already good handling. Is this difficult to swap? I see them on ebay for $100 or less.

9. Clutch slave. I heard the K1300 clutch slave lowers the high engagement point of the clutch.

10. Clutch. I heard the K1300 clutch performs smoother. True? Is it worth it?

11. Tank bag. Id like a BMW bag, preferably a nice condition used one.

Any other mods you guys suggest? Comments? Thoughts?
Old 05-04-2016, 03:00 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,543 Times in 1,182 Posts

Re: 08 K1200S build/questions/mods

The K13 clutch is worth it but wait until you can't stand the original or it fails. A complete clutch; basket and plates is $2000. Find a K1300 drive shaft on ebay, will help with drive line slack. Make sure all BMW recall items are complete by sharing the VIN with your local dealer. Be sure you have the jump guard for the crank shaft cam sprocket. Change out the cam chain tensioner to the latest K13 model. Enjoy the bike and you have hours of reading to do about K12's and their issues. Great fun bike, not much in traffic or around town but good on the road. Wilbers shocks are excellent when you need replacements. Ted Porter of the Beemer Shop in SoCal will be your go to man for them. Find someone with a tire changer, you're going to need him. Get a factory DVD manual if you intend to do any of your own work, the details are important. Use a torque wrench as needed with this bike. Make arrangements to go to the Sierra Gold Rush Rally. Get a center stand. Start cleaning and lubing stuff, shift linkage, side stand, levers, change all the fluids. Important to change the brake fluid at least every two years and much better every year. Brand of tires makes changes on the way the bike handles. Use stock sizes. Those steel/teflon brake lines are stock. You will need some tools that fit this bike.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 05-04-2016, 03:07 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
The K13 clutch is worth it but wait until you can't stand the original or it fails. A complete clutch; basket and plates is $2000. Find a K1300 drive shaft on ebay, will help with drive line slack. Make sure all BMW recall items are complete by sharing the VIN with your local dealer. Be sure you have the jump guard for the crank shaft cam sprocket. Change out the cam chain tensioner to the latest K13 model. Enjoy the bike and you have hours of reading to do about K12's and their issues. Great fun bike, not much in traffic or around town but good on the road. Wilbers shocks are excellent when you need replacements. Ted Porter of the Beemer Shop in SoCal will be your go to man for them. Find someone with a tire changer, you're going to need him. Get a factory DVD manual if you intend to do any of your own work, the details are important. Use a torque wrench as needed with this bike. Make arrangements to go to the Sierra Gold Rush Rally. Get a center stand. Start cleaning and lubing stuff, shift linkage, side stand, levers, change all the fluids. Important to change the brake fluid at least every two years and much better every year. Brand of tires makes changes on the way the bike handles. Use stock sizes. Those steel/teflon brake lines are stock. You will need some tools that fit this bike.
$2k for a clutch?!?! ok, Ill wait on that. I thought about a driveshaft. I read the recent thread on it. I see one on fleabay now for a k1300gt which is the same shaft as the K1300S - $225. I do my own wrenching, so the factory service manual is necessary. I can tell that I will need Torx sockets. Did these bikes come with a tool kit or do people assemble their own? Also, is the front lower A arm duolever (shear shaft)from a K1300 a good idea?
Old 05-04-2016, 05:01 PM
Aussie Moderator
Thanked 4,999 Times in 2,035 Posts

There are a few K1300R's and a K1300's wrecking here in Australia, have seen bits while scanning eBay and gumtree, will have a look for them and post up a contact. I'm sure I saw a driveshaft in the mix. Prob all the clutch goodies too. I can help with mailing stuff over the ditch too.

Cheers
Kiwimat

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'KiwiMat' for this post:
Old 05-04-2016, 05:34 PM

No tool kit to speak of. Just a few things to get the plastic off. You will have to start collecting Torx socket drivers and a few screwdriver Torx items. I have owned both K12 and K13S bikes, I really don't think the front lower A arm (in my memory) was a huge difference. If you find one cheap, buy it and they whey you have to replace ball joints or shock on the front end you will have it to install. There are threads on how to install a center stand. Buy the OEM one. A hand held electric jig saw makes cutting the belly pan easy. It has two parallel lines embossed on the inside plastic that you cut between so it is a no brainer. Dealing with the spring is another issue. And take it apart every couple of years and re grease it.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:46 PM

What I'd really like to say is that I see your mind whirling. So many things. Relax ride the bike and tackle things one at a time later after you have learned the bike and what others have done to deal with something that bothers you. You need to get saddle broken so to speak. Having a wonderful bike like a K bike is a serious life treat, hope you enjoy it. This forum will help with any problems you run up against. Take care of the important stuff like cam chain jump guard and cam tension device and any recalls or software up dates. I suspect most of that stuff has been done by this time though.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 05-04-2016, 05:58 PM
Shooting the gap

Kiwi: Let me know what you find such as driveshaft, clutch, front, lower duolever shear shaft thing, clutch slave and any other K1300 bits that are an improvement. I found a driveshaft here for about $225 on ebay and there is a duolever for about $100 on ebay too.

Beech: From what I read, the K1300S lower duolever changes the steering geometry for the better compared to the 1200. Also, the 1300 duolever is lighter weight aluminum compared t the steel 1200 duolever. Hey, every little bit helps!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'DeusExMaxima' for this post:
Old 05-04-2016, 06:03 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
What I'd really like to say is that I see your mind whirling. So many things. Relax ride the bike and tackle things one at a time later after you have learned the bike and what others have done to deal with something that bothers you. You need to get saddle broken so to speak. Having a wonderful bike like a K bike is a serious life treat, hope you enjoy it. This forum will help with any problems you run up against. Take care of the important stuff like cam chain jump guard and cam tension device and any recalls or software up dates. I suspect most of that stuff has been done by this time though.

Good advice, and perceptive too. My mind is whirling because I tend to do that with any bike I acquire, but especially this one because I have wanted one for so long. I want this bike to be perfectly set up where it runs great, looks great, and feels good to ride. It already does all three, but I want it to be just a few notches better. I think the cam chain stuff/recalls, Throttlemeister,and center stand are a priority though.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:13 PM

Your onto it. Throttlemeister takes a delicate adjustment to get it right on this bike if you have heated grips. But the good side is you mentioned there are no heated grips so that makes it a whole lot easier. I'm like you I want my bike to be 100%. If something is wrong I can't stand it until it is resolved. Get that front A arm.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 05-04-2016, 06:21 PM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,079 Times in 800 Posts

You do have a radar detector on it, yes??? That should be your # priority, IMHO...
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Pirate' for this post:
Old 05-05-2016, 12:02 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
I can tell that I will need Torx sockets. Did these bikes come with a tool kit or do people assemble their own? Also, is the front lower A arm duolever (shear shaft)from a K1300 a good idea?

Your most popular Torx will be the T25 for use on the bodywork. You didn't mention whether the bike had ABS.

The K13 arm is worthwhile and not too bad to do yourself but it's not a huge deal. A better option is the K1200R top bridge. It's a direct bolt on at the stem but you're better off with the K12R handlebars because the anchors are slightly different.

Don't bother trying to mod the seat. The fabric is glued to the foam which is glued to the pan. You'll destroy it unless you cover it all. If you want a wider, more butt coddling seat look at Corbin or one of the other guys.

If you want a GPS you can get a BMW cradle and wiring to mount on the battery cover. You'll need the short tankbag if you go that route.

For the shifter you should replace the bushing with a bearing in the pivot or move to a K13S shift lever which is more direct. You'll need the transmission shaft arm and the k13s left foot rest to do it though because the pivot is on one of the mounting screws and the k12 foot rest isn't shaped correctly.

You can jack the bike up with a standard motorcycle lift placed under the exhaust pipes. They'll support the bike easily. I'm not a fan of centerstands. I think you'll have to change your belly pan to put a centerstand on.

Magura 195 radial pump master cylinders are a nice addition. It's the same master cylinder as on the HP2 but you can't get the direct mount reservoir in the aftermarket, that's a BMW only item. The aftermarket allows you a choice of mc diameters. (16, 19...)Pazzo levers are M1/M11. In the aftermarket you can also go down one size in the clutch master cylinder (11mm I think) but the late 2008's have the same clutch basket as the K13's so don't waste your $$$. The problem is that the metal is soft and it develops ridges easily which compromises the engagement action.

Check out the washer mod here: http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...ttle+vibration

Pirelli Diablo Corsas are fantastic on the bike but they suck in the wet.

Put on a Powerlet plug it will simplify your battery charging with a Battery Tender. You can also get better heated gear with a Powerlet because even though the alternator can support more wattage the CANbus cuts power at 5 Watts. That's only enough for BMW's very expensive vest.

That should get you started, have fun.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'kvr929rr' for this post:
Old 05-05-2016, 04:24 PM
Shooting the gap

Pirate: a radar detector is a great idea....maybe even a jammer...

KVR: Thank you for the great info. I used a T25 this morning to remove the right fairing to find the engine number to register the bike here in California. My bike does not have ABS.

I looked at the front arm assembly. Boy it looks complicated. I suppose I should just get the service manual and see how difficult it is. I read about the k1200R top bridge swap. The guys that did it seemed to be uncomfortable with the K12S riding position. I dont have a problem with it. Ill ride the bike for a bit and then decide if Ill make the change.

I read that the K1300 driveshaft swap makes a difference. Any thoughts here?

I read about the shifter mod. What effect does it have?

I paid for a BMW center stand which should be here tomorrow. Its not only good for maintenance at home, but on the road as well. Also, if Im off the bike at a gas station I put my bikes on the center stand to I get a bit more fuel in compared to when its leaned over on the side stand. I think the 1300 needs the belly pan modded. Ill find out.

The clutch system needs a change because I dislike the engagement point. Im kinda getting used to it but my shifting is not smooth. Does the K1300 slave affect the engagement point?

In the washer mod link it was talking about a vibration. What is the washer mod?

My bike has two added power sources..a two prong trailer type connector which will hook right up to my battery charger and my heated gear. It also has a cigarette lighter type outlet.

So today I got my Calif. license plate and registered it here. I also ordered my BMW center stand which should be here tomorrow. I noticed that there are some tools under the seat.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'DeusExMaxima' for this post:
Old 05-06-2016, 12:46 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
My bike does not have ABS.

I looked at the front arm assembly. Boy it looks complicated. I suppose I should just get the service manual and see how difficult it is. I read about the k1200R top bridge swap. The guys that did it seemed to be uncomfortable with the K12S riding position. I dont have a problem with it. Ill ride the bike for a bit and then decide if Ill make the change.

I read that the K1300 driveshaft swap makes a difference. Any thoughts here?

I read about the shifter mod. What effect does it have?

The clutch system needs a change because I dislike the engagement point. Im kinda getting used to it but my shifting is not smooth. Does the K1300 slave affect the engagement point?

In the washer mod link it was talking about a vibration. What is the washer mod?

My bike has two added power sources..a two prong trailer type connector which will hook right up to my battery charger and my heated gear. It also has a cigarette lighter type outlet.

I'm jealous, I didn't like the ABS system so I ripped it out. Now I have to deal with the ZFE reconfiguring.

The front arm isn't really that big of a deal except the ball joint. The rest is pretty straight forward. Make sure you don't over-torque the pivot bolt on the left side. It'll pinch the frame pretty easily.

The big advantage to the K12R top bridge is leverage, riding position is secondary. The K12 has a lot of rake and trail and requires a healthy push to change direction.

The K13 shifter just makes it a little more direct and the bearing takes the slop out of the stock linkage.

On the washer mod BMW used an oversized washer to space the alternator freewheel. Because the ID of the washer was over sized it would rattle and vibrate enough to be audible. I don't think it had enough mass to really do much but there is some idea that it created hot start issues as well. Putting a smaller ID washer solved many of those issues. It's a good opportunity to check the cam chain and set the tension if you put an APE manual unit on as well as setting the tension on the oil pump chain.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'kvr929rr' for this post:
Old 05-06-2016, 05:19 PM
Shooting the gap

ZFE reconfiguring???

If the 1200R bridge is s good mod, ill do it then.

Has anyone retrofitted BMW heated grips or the electronic suspension?

I have a Givi top box but i would like a smallish BMW box like from an F800ST. Has anyone retrofitted atop box from that bike or another BMW?
Old 05-07-2016, 11:47 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

I have the same bike and skipped the k13 slave to order the Oberon 36mm Slavs from Pirates Lair.

You should order the metal fuel tank quick disconnects from beemer boneyard and change those out.

Motozen adjustable levers from Pirates Lair really bring the clutch engagement point back to s sensible distance from the handle bar.

I'd get a Cee Bailey headlight protector as well from pirates lair, that headlight is 900+$ to replace.

I wouldn't bother with ESA. It's just another gizmo to break. Go with Ohlins set up for you and your riding style.
Cage: '07 BMW 328i Sport 6MT
Old 05-07-2016, 11:56 PM
Shooting the gap

Ben... thank you for the good advice. I will be making up a list of items to improve the bike.

Has anyone retrofitted BMW heated grips or the electronic suspension? I found some heated grips and a light switch on eBay but I'd like to know if there is anything else I would need to buy to have OEM heated grips. Electronic suspension can be retrofitted by purchasing the suspension and the switch or if there is other things needed to make it work?

Today my centerstand came in. It looks like the lower panels have to be cut in order for the center stand to work.

My right side fairing is scratched from a drop by the previous owner. The scratches are not particularly bad but they are fairly noticeable up close. I found a Chinese made set of fairings on Craigslist about 30 minutes from my house for $150. I would only need the right upper fairing. My alternative would be to try to touch up the scratches and that never seems to work out very well.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:12 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I have not looked, but can the scratched fairing panels be replaced with some carbon fiber panels?
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Zoomie' for this post:
Old 05-08-2016, 12:25 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
ZFE reconfiguring???

Has anyone retrofitted BMW heated grips or the electronic suspension?

I have a Givi top box but i would like a smallish BMW box like from an F800ST. Has anyone retrofitted atop box from that bike or another BMW?

If you have the switch on the right handlebar you should have the plugs on the wiring harness to add heated grips because that was a dealer option. The electronic suspension requires a completely different wiring harness and it wouldn't be worth it from a cost or performance viewpoint. Your best option would be Wilbers because they have a bigger selection of options and can custom build what you want for less money. The only available Ohlins doesn't have adjustable compression damping but you can get a Wilbers with that feature. Ted Porter can tell you the options best but I think it's type 641. The real problem is that there isn't a huge body of knowledge about optimal set up for the duolever like there is for telescopic forks.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:53 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomie
I have not looked, but can the scratched fairing panels be replaced with some carbon fiber panels?

Bestem makes carbon fiber panels for the entire body. All available for special order via Pirates Lair.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:05 PM
Shooting the gap

I like the paint scheme and I wouldnt get carbon fiber panels. The guy I was in touch with on craigslist did not get back to me so I ASSUME he sold the panels to someone else. Has anyone successfully done touch up paint on these bikes. The complicated paint scheme of the tri-color would make it difficult.

I just won the bid for a Throttlemeister throttle lock on ebay..$69 shipped. I have one on my Triumph Sprint and I really like it and it looks classy too.

I also bought heated handgrips and the right side combination switch on ebay ($230 shipped for both!). When I install those, Ill take the bike to the stealership and have them reflash the ECU so the grips will work. BTW, why does the ECU need reflashing when retrofitting heated handgrips?

I have my eye on the duolever from a K13S. Not sure if that makes that much of a difference or not, but I have read that it does. Any feedback from someone who has done this?

Has anyone retrofitted the Navigator II to the bike or is it too outdated? Im guessing its outdated with the new technology today.

Im still working on adapting a BMW top box. I could mount a Givi but I think the box from the F800ST would be a nice choice. I have talked with another member on here with some nice info. Any other thoughts or feedback?
Old 05-09-2016, 05:34 PM

When you fit the heated grips and the Throttlemeister, be sure to tune the spacers after you let the heated grip warm up well. It is not easy to find the sweet spot.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
Old 05-09-2016, 07:35 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

I mounted a Givi E37 monolock case to the factory BMW rack. It's not super stiff but I feel it would suffice. A member here had a good price on the SW Motech rack so I'm going to experiment with it.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:26 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateRiderBen
I mounted a Givi E37 monolock case to the factory BMW rack. It's not super stiff but I feel it would suffice. A member here had a good price on the SW Motech rack so I'm going to experiment with it.

Does the rack hold the weight? I have heard it is a bit flimsy.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:48 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

The BMW rack seems to hold the weight fine. Where I found flexing was between the GIVI base plate and the rack, but the correct position of the attachment bolts should alleviate this.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:22 PM
Shooting the gap

I found a factory BMW rack about 30 min from my house at a BMW dealer. They even gave me a 10% discount I will pick it up today after work. I then plan to make an adapter and find a smallish BMW top box (case) with a bracket and bolt the bracket on the adapter an then snap the case on to the bracket. I want a factory look.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:00 PM
Head Up Knee down

don't forget to get this http://www.marcparnes.com/BMW_Axle_Tool.htm for balancing i built the tool using the 2" male and female PVC and 2 2" x 1" reducers. you can see what they did here http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=40440 the shop i went to required the tool to run on bearings so i wen to my local bearing shop and had them sell me 2 bearings. i had to use my drill to give a little space in the reducers and banged the bearings in. worked perfectly.

The Bearings were RCB NICE ball bearings 5273VMF53 the size of the bearing is just a bit wide for the hole thus the using the drill to thin out the wall.

great bike. we have the exact same one.
2008 K1200S Tri Color / Power Commander III Quick Shift *rebuilt title (wife's bike) (sold)
2002 Silver K1200RS M-sport Roundel (sold)
2005 GSX-R 600 *sold to buy the k12s

Web Designer / Internet Marketing / network marketing
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'jasonb4' for this post:
Old 05-12-2016, 03:42 PM
Shooting the gap

jasonb4: Thanks for the information. Since I turn my own spanners, this is helpful.

I received my Throttlemeister in the mail yesterday. Its quite heavy and its for heated grips which are on their way. I also made a trip to a local BMW stealership and bought the factory rear rack.

Interestingly, the sell of the chinese fairings contacted me and said they were still for sale. They sound tempting because my right side fairing has some scratches, and the bellypan is wrapped in carbon fiber wrap. It looks pretty good but I do have to cut the belly pan to fit the center stand. Anyone have experience with chinese fairings on their k12/13S?
Old 05-13-2016, 04:44 PM
Shooting the gap

I got the right side handlebar switch in the mail yesterday. This one has the heated grip switch on it. Just waiting for the heated handlebar grips. Do I really need to reflash the ECU to get the heated grips to work?
Old 05-14-2016, 08:41 AM
Site Contributor
Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,077 Posts

Quote:
Anyone have experience with chinese fairings on their k12/13S?

You will be disappointed with quality and fitment.

Take the panel too a professional painter, and if he's good, you'll never notice.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:55 AM
Shooting the gap

The grips came in the mail yesterday. I installed the left grip and the Throttlemeister bar end. The right one is much trickier. I was part way done when it got late. Ill try to finish the grip and throttlemeister install today. Im still unsure if ecu needs to be reflashed for the grips to work
Old 05-15-2016, 02:52 AM
Shooting the gap

Ok factory OEM heated grips are installed. I also installed a Throttlemeister throttle lock. The right side was much more difficult to install but after some fiddling around I got it installed. The ECU has to be reflashed by the dealer at a cost of about the $55. The reflash turns on the heated grips. The wiring is already in place and is capped off by blue plugs inside the switch on each side.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:08 PM
Shooting the gap

I know the K1200R bridge is swapped for the stock K1200S bridge. Has anyone used a K1300S bridge? It looks nicer.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:37 PM
Shooting the gap

Ok..no response to previous question.. .

I installed the BMW rear rack..

The plstic bit is strange. Also, the bolt plug did not fit and there were two bolts that I had to use the original ones. The plan now is to find an adapter so I can put a smallish BMW top box on.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:10 PM
Twisted Wrister

I am not into making a truck out of my K12, I have a Ford for that.

For drive-ability I suggest the Brentune hand held. No more flat spots when you wack open the throttle at 3-5K rpm, steady idle hot and cold. Not cheap, but it cures the fuel map problems.
The K12 and K13 are not their most popular sales so email Brentune, have a picture of your ECM so they can be sure of the type.
Old 05-22-2016, 12:20 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

I removed the clear plastic portion to fit the Givi top box mount plate.

Not sure how the BMW plate would mount.

It's your bike so please don't take this the wrong way, but the BMW part is inferior you e SW Motech rack. If you're looking for function and quality I would trongly suggest going that route, it is much more stable.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:29 PM
Shooting the gap

I ended up finding a rear BMW softbag in mint condition on craigslist. It was used on an F650GS but I think its the identical bag to the one for the K12S. It fits either on the passenger seat or on the rear rack. Ill get pics posted later.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:23 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Quote:
I know the K1200R bridge is swapped for the stock K1200S bridge. Has anyone used a K1300S bridge? It looks nicer.
The K1300S top will fit but if your looking to raise your bars the K1300S top won't help it's the same height and angle.
2007 BMW K1200S
1985 Yamaha RZ350
2009 Buell 1125CR
2009 Hayabusa
2007 Bandit 1250
15yr. dry spell
1988 GSXR 750
1986 Yamaha Fazer
1984 Honda Interceptor
Old 05-27-2016, 02:15 AM
Shooting the gap

Here are pics of the rear soft case:

Old 05-27-2016, 03:10 AM
Aussie Moderator

Quote:
Here are pics of the rear soft case:

Looks good Mark, some of us run our small softbags on the BMW rack provided, there is a pouch under your softbag that the end of the BMW rack slides into. Anyway my point was going to be that it's easier to swing your leg over the bike if the bag is further back. Here is a pic from our recent Sydney ride with a few of us having the same bags on the back rack. Nothing wrong with where yours is, just another way to do it.

Cheers
Kiwimat

Old 05-27-2016, 05:15 AM
Shooting the gap

Thanks Kiwi. I did notice the pouch under the bag as was pointed out by the seller. I put the bag on the passenger seat just to see what it was like as a backrest and it also gives it a more centered look. I do like the fact that it is flexible enough to mount in either location which is just great. I am even probably going to use it on my Suzuki V-Strom when I do my 48 state tour in July
Old 06-02-2016, 03:38 PM
Shooting the gap

So Im curious if I can retrofit ASC and/or ESA if I get the proper left hand switch and a stealership ECU reflash plus the ESA controlled factory shock absorbers?
Old 06-02-2016, 06:17 PM
Shooting the gap

I found a BMW factory Navigator II for sale. Where do I get the factory mount so it mounts on what looks like the front of the gas tank?
Old 06-03-2016, 01:59 AM
Aussie Moderator

Quote:
I found a BMW factory Navigator II for sale. Where do I get the factory mount so it mounts on what looks like the front of the gas tank?

Hey Mark, what sort of dollars are they asking for the Nav II?
The BMW Nav IV's come up on eBay all the time for around $300 usd. Mount is easy to get hold of too.
The Nav II's had some problems with the touch screen failing too from the research I did.

Cheers
Kiwimat

Old 06-03-2016, 02:27 AM
Shooting the gap

Mat...I actually bought a Nav III. It was closer to where I live then the seller of the Nav II. I paid $240. It has all sorts of cords and mounts but I need the mount applicable to my bike.

So, what exactly do I need mount the unit to the bike? I think it mounts in the front part of the gas tank just before the steering Bridge. Is this correct? If any of you have the Navigator mounted on your bike I'd love to see pictures
Old 06-03-2016, 03:19 AM
Aussie Moderator

Quote:
Mat...I actually bought a Nav III. It was closer to where I live then the seller of the Nav II. I paid $240. It has all sorts of cords and mounts but I need the mount applicable to my bike.

So, what exactly do I need mount the unit to the bike? I think it mounts in the front part of the gas tank just before the steering Bridge. Is this correct? If any of you have the Navigator mounted on your bike I'd love to see pictures

Ram mounts are a great way to go, here is one of the threads here
http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?...ght=Ram+mounts

Why don't you post some pics of all the bits you have and we might have some suggestions.
Also Google "BMW navigator iii mount" some pics there might be of interest.

Cheers
Kiwimat

Old 06-03-2016, 01:27 PM
Shooting the gap

The bits that i have wont work on my K12S. There are brackets for a different bike that clearly wont fit the K12S. I know I need the specific bracket for that bike. I just need to figure out what I need to mount the Nav in the factory location. I have all the cables and so forth. I can snap a pic of everything when Im home from work.

Here is the unit:

Old 06-03-2016, 02:58 PM
Shooting the gap

Is this what I need to mount the Navi III to my bike?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Set-of-B...hWl-fz&vxp=mtr
Old 06-03-2016, 07:14 PM
Aussie Moderator

Quote:
Is this what I need to mount the Navi III to my bike?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Set-of-B...hWl-fz&vxp=mtr

Hey Mark, do you have the motorcycle mounting cradle like in this picture?

Old 06-03-2016, 07:23 PM
Thanked 1,421 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:

Wise words Beech

Hey Ben You seem pretty handy with a set of spanners and seem to have the time available as well. I'm not sure that the driveshaft, ASC, ABS and all those other things will not necessarily make your bike run any better. Be careful of the problems that you read about on the net with these bikes. I have 50000 trouble free miles on my 08 k12R and only had the recalls done. No other problems at all. As Beech says enjoy your bike and IF you have problems, deal with them then. Changes that make you happy - go for it!

2008 K1200R - B1.
2009 HP2 Sport. - B2
Old 06-03-2016, 07:32 PM
Shooting the gap

I have the cradle although I can't seem to get the GPS unit to snap in

Old 06-03-2016, 10:01 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
The bits that i have wont work on my K12S. There are brackets for a different bike that clearly wont fit the K12S. I know I need the specific bracket for that bike. I just need to figure out what I need to mount the Nav in the factory location. I have all the cables and so forth. I can snap a pic of everything when Im home from work.

Here is the unit:

That doesn't look anything like my Nav III. I thought the Nav III was a Garmin Zumo 550 clone and there wasn't nearly so much bracketry. It was just a small pedestal that mounted on the battery cover with 4 screws.
Old 06-03-2016, 11:02 PM
Shooting the gap

That bracket tree is for another bike, I believe an rs. That's why I am asking to see what bracket I need and where exactly I bolt it. Pics would be helpful.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:04 AM
Shooting the gap

Old 06-05-2016, 12:33 AM
Shooting the gap

Do these last pictures look like the mount that I need?
Old 06-08-2016, 03:16 PM
Shooting the gap

Anyone able to help regarding the GPS?

I got a Motorrad tank bag on its way. Its the shorter one that allows you to see the GPS, if I can figure out how to mount it.

Im still curious if the ESA suspension can be swapped for non-ESA and then have the ECU reprogrammed, much like the heated grips. Can anyone with ESA suspension show me where each shock absorber plugs in so I can can see if I have the wiring and the blue caps?
Old 06-08-2016, 10:05 PM
Shooting the gap

Is this what i need:

For the factory look here:

Old 06-10-2016, 02:20 PM
Shooting the gap

When I was nosing around in my battery compartment, I noticed that the negative side of the battery had corrosion on the wire lugs and the battery terminal. I sanded off the corrosion of the wiring and the battery terminal. When I rode the bike afterwards, the lower rpm hesitation seemed to be minimal. I wonder if that was the cause of the snatchiness at lower rpm?......hmmmm...
Old 06-11-2016, 12:00 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
When I was nosing around in my battery compartment, I noticed that the negative side of the battery had corrosion on the wire lugs and the battery terminal. I sanded off the corrosion of the wiring and the battery terminal. When I rode the bike afterwards, the lower rpm hesitation seemed to be minimal. I wonder if that was the cause of the snatchiness at lower rpm?......hmmmm...

It could have something to do with the coils getting a little more juice which might improve things a bit but the core of the low rpm issue is that the ports are very efficient and the intake velocity drops down a little too low to get good cylinder filling. BMW rectified this on the k13s by increasing displacement and adding a little bump in the port to help tumble and mixing. You can read about it here if you're interested.... https://www.ricardo.com/Documents/RQ...RQ_Q2_2009.pdf
Old 06-11-2016, 01:34 PM
Shooting the gap

It seems that the bike responds better at higher rpms. If you start out from a stop comma it seems better if the engine is revved slightly higher otherwise it tends to bog down or stutter. I also noticed that the idle is not particularly smooth. Maybe the throttle bodies need balancing
Old 06-11-2016, 01:48 PM

K12's idle like a hot rod. RPM hunting might be influenced by the idle air valve hunting or sticking a little. Never met one that was any fun to ride in traffic or in town. That article about the Recardo enginineering group work explains the key to the different nature of the K13.
S1000R
I need a Vespa