I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S/KR" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S/KR" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 09-21-2016, 07:20 PM
Shooting the gap

Re: 08 K1200S build/questions/mods

So I was doing some nosing around to see what mods people are doing to these bikes and I noticed that some are swapping the ugly 90s orange turn signals for LED signals from the newer K1300r (and other models with the same turn signals). The lights are slender and pointy but they give a more updated look. I called my local dealer and they said another dealer a bit further away had two in stock.

Then I got a call from my local dealer with an idea. He said he has LED bulbs and I should order the clear lenses from a K1200R. The K1200R and S share the same rear turn signals but the R had an option for clear lenses. By installing the clear R lenses and an LED bulb, it would keep the original shape of the turn signal, but give it a more updated look. Also, he said the LED bulbs came with load resistors so there would be no lamp code triggered. The cost is about $100 for this set up or for the K1300R turn signals. The parts should arrive Friday.

Heres a pic of factory clear lenses on a k1200r:
Old 09-21-2016, 07:43 PM
Shooting the gap

And you had such a good list going on the other post
Old 09-21-2016, 07:47 PM
Shooting the gap

Looks like the list just got a bit better..
Old 09-21-2016, 08:31 PM
Shooting the gap

But if you change the rear lens to clear, and add the led light, what are your plans then for the front turn signals, u know those big things with the mirrors attached,,,,you will need to change them as well.....
Old 09-22-2016, 12:34 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateKeeper
But if you change the rear lens to clear, and add the led light, what are your plans then for the front turn signals, u know those big things with the mirrors attached,,,,you will need to change them as well.....
I had planned to do the fronts. I wanted to figure out the rear signals first.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:06 PM
Shooting the gap

The BMW clear signal lenses came in on Friday. I also got the aftermarket LED circuit boards.

Here are the lenses with the part number:

The LED circuit boards with built in load resistor:

Procedure:

Unscrew the small screw in back of the housing

Remove lense carefully. You can see they are identical in shape to the factory S lense even though there is no application for an S bike. If you look online you will find that these lenses fit a bunch of models like the R models and others.

Really carefully remove the reflector from the housing like this:

Then the reflector is hanging from the light.

The new circuit board comes with a lock which looks like this:

The lock slides in where indicated:

Hook up the blue wire to positive (+) and brown to negative (-). Test the signal first before buttoning it up.

Position the circuit board in the housing and then fit the clear lense to the housing and screw it in place with the tiny screw that was removed.

Test it again.

Before:

After:

There are three options with the rear turn signals if you want to keep the factory look (meaning not replacing the signals with another signal). The cheapest option is to fit the BMW clear lenses and use an amber bulb. The second option is to use the clear lenses and replace the bulb with an amber LED bulb. The third option is as described above - clear lense with LED circuit board.

The signals did not throw the dreaded lampr code. Flash rate was normal. The signals are brighter than factory when behind the bike. From the side, the brightness is similar to factory. The multiple LEDs look great especially when coupled with the K1300S tail light. Total cost was just under $100. The lenses are about $35 for both. The LED circuit board was about $60.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'DeusExMaxima' for this post:
Old 09-28-2016, 01:10 PM
Shooting the gap

I have been searching for a rear seat cowl to give my S a sporty look when riding solo (which is most of the time). I found a carbon fiber one on eBay from China for $200 and I located a company in Spain who makes them (I forgot the name and the price but it was a lot for a cowl). The other options were to purchase a Corbin or Sargent seat with the rear storage pod but these are well north of $1000. The used market is thin for either seat cowls or the expensive storage pod and seat option.

If I may diverge for a moment....regarding the seat on the S....it was comfortable in terms of cush on my two longish rides I have taken. However, my complaint is that the seat is too narrow, and I have a 34" waist. The sides of my rear end hang over the edges.

Back to the topic at hand....I decided to scan the classifieds to see if someone who was selling a K1200S, with a rear seat cowl, would be willing to sell the cowl to me. I contacted four sellers who had either a Corbin or Sargent seat with rear storage pod. One was in my town and he seemed sorta interested but then decided no. I got no response from two others. The fourth one with a Sargent seat and pod told me no.......................
........then........I got a text asking how much would I offer him for it.

We discussed price and agreed on a number (a bit less than half the cost of the seat set up brand new Sargent seat set up. He had a Sargent seat which includes front seat and pan, passenger seat, back rest, and storage pod. The piping on the seat is black, so it goes with any bike. The rear pod is white, so it will need painting, by me of course.

I installed the seat to test it out on the ride home. Its much wider and firmer than stock. Wider is good. Firmer is....um...ok but I may want a softer layer added in the future. It certainly feels much more secure, as if Im being cradled by the bike instead of being perched on it. The contoured shape of the seat suits the beautiful lines of the bike.

When I got my bounty home, I looked over everything more carefully. The seats, back rest, and pod are in excellent condition, Id say a 9 out of 10. The carbon-fiber texture of the seat goes nicely with the CF battery cover and tank pad. I noticed that the interior light of the storage pod did not work. Im guessing the double batteries (#2430) are weak. It has a little mercury-filled switch that turns the light on when the lid is lifted causing the mercury to slide to the other side of the glass container and complete the circuit - kinda ingenius.

The light removed and batteries removed:

Heres a pic of the storage pod:

I need to paint the storage pod. The question is - what color or colors? My choices are as follows:
1. All gloss black
2. All matching blue
3. Some combination of black and blue
4. Silver with blue
5. All silver
6. Cuss out the other driver............when I took drivers education in high school, this choice was on every exam question. No wonder I failed drivers ed 6 times!!!....just kidding.

I did some Microsoft Paint mock ups of the color schemes and Im still undecided. Any Photochop experts out there willing to help?

I noticed that all the painted pods I have seen have just the lid painted, which gives the pod a sort of disconnected look from the seat - as if its suspended above the seat. This does not look pleasing to me. Whatever color paint it gets, the bottom part will get painted too, like the Corbin smuggler.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:38 PM
Shooting the gap

After work, I picked up a couple of lithium batteries and put them in the light. I noticed that one of the LED light bulbs had a broken solder joint at the circuit board...... a bit of solder and the light seems to work very well.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:59 PM
Shooting the gap

I just made you a sticker, good for +12 HP! Thank me later.

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'rpeck' for this post:
Old 09-28-2016, 09:23 PM
Shooting the gap

I'm kidding BTW, the bike looks good, nice job. I work in IT, so I spend a lot of time watching percentage bars. Sometimes I have to entertain myself
Old 09-29-2016, 10:16 PM
Shooting the gap

Rpeck....thats cool.

When does a person decide to become an IT professional?
When he realizes he doesn't have the charisma to succeed as an undertaker.....
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'DeusExMaxima' for this post:
Old 09-29-2016, 10:25 PM
Shooting the gap

Just kidding rpeck...haha

I took apart the storage pod and sanded the areas to be painted with 600 grit wet sandpaper. Then I wiped that off and primed the areas to be painted and let it sit for a few hours. In the meantime I remove my front fender and took it to my paint supplier and got a can of automotive commercial grade paint with hardener that was matched to the fender. I painted the lid and the base.

Primed lid:

Primed base:

Painted lid:

To my knowledge, no one has painted the base before. I believe it looks better with paint because it blends into the seat much better rather than looking like it's suspended above the seat. We will find out tomorrow after paint dries.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:20 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Rpeck....thats cool.

When does a person decide to become an IT professional?
When he realizes he doesn't have the charisma to succeed as an undertaker.....

No, when you want easy money. You have plenty of energy left when you get home since you sit on your ass most of the day

Clearly you are a better painter than wrencher' looks sharp and shiny!

P.S. I think that's a perfect spot for my custom R-Type sticker.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:08 AM
Shooting the gap

Thanks... Im pleased with the way the paint laid down. I waited for ambient temperature to cool to about 85. Ill let the lid and base cure for a day or so.. maybe let it bake in sun tomorrow...then assemble Saturday and snap pics. Again this is the first Sargent pod that is fully painted, soIm looking forward to seeing how it looks.

Rather than a Civic Type R decal, how about a small K1200S decal on the front ?
Old 09-30-2016, 01:15 AM
Shooting the gap

Thanks... Im pleased with the way the paint laid down. I waited for ambient temperature to cool to about 85. Ill let the lid and base cure for a day or so.. maybe let it bake in sun tomorrow...then assemble Saturday and snap pics. Again this is the first Sargent pod that is fully painted, soIm looking forward to seeing how it looks.

Rather than a Civic Type R decal, how about a small K1200S decal on the front just above the seat ?
Old 10-03-2016, 03:15 PM
Shooting the gap

I was out for a ride and the bike stalled at a traffic light. I started teh bike but it stalled again. Then I re-started and revved the engine a few times and it ran smoothly the rest of the ride and the subsequent ride. All updates have been done to the bike. I have heard about stalling issues but I am unclear as to how to solve the problem. Do I need a Power Commander to solve the problem? Any other possible solutions?
Old 10-03-2016, 03:29 PM
Shooting the gap

Since I am the type to say "I told you so" I will say it. I told you so. Making the bike cute is all well and good, but IMO get the priorities straight first. Don't jump until the chute is on. Full tune up, full fluid changes, all safety checks, all adjustments, all calibrations, gs-911 reads and tests, fuel control, hydraulic bleeds, shock setup, tire pressures, brake pad and rotor checks, throttle cable check and adjust. Etc etc etc, particularly on a used bike where you may not have an accurate history.

Sounds almost like a hot start problem, but I'm not sure if this was a k12 issue, I've never had it. Maybe a k13 only thing. Get all the mechanicals dialed, see if it reoccurs IMO. Might try a ICV/IA calibration and TPS calibration first.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:49 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
I was out for a ride and the bike stalled at a traffic light. Do I need a Power Commander to solve the problem? Any other possible solutions?

My K12 was flawless pretty much from 1K miles on. It had a sticky throttle when new, replaced free by SJBMW. After that no problems with the K12 in 50K miles.
The K13 always had an erratic idle, especially when hot. Idle went from 1200 RM to 900 RPM. If I started out at 900 RPM I could easily stall the bike. Nothing the dealer did worked, the first fuel map from Brentune smoothed out other problems, but not the stalling. The second fuel map from Brentune made the idle much better. Bren thinks I have a small air leak downstream of the carbs, but I never found anything amiss, nor did the dealer.

I went with the Brentune ECU handheld reflash over the Power Commander due to the complexity. Ultimately the Power Commander would come out better, but at greater cost due to dyno tuning. Brentune is more of a one size fits all solution and the bike had zero downtime.

Look up "cold plug" which lies to the ECU about atmospheric temperature if your idle problem is not too bad.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:41 AM
Shooting the gap

Ill check out cold plug. I have only had it happen to me twice since I have owned the bike but it is twice too many. Having the bike running properly is at the very top of my list. I wanted to ride it some to see if there were any issues and the way it runs is clearly an issue. Also the bike was thoroughly serviced right before I purchased it.

Here are some night time pics of the rear storage pod installed:

I am very pleased with the outcome. Painting the lower part gives it a much much better finished look. I will get daytime pictures tomorrow.
Old 10-05-2016, 04:06 AM
Shooting the gap

Better pics showing Sargent seat and fully painted rear storage pod:

Rear view:

Old 10-06-2016, 12:17 PM
Shooting the gap

Even better pics:

You can clearly see the painted lower portion here:

I have clear front turn signal lenses on the way. Need to focus on getting the bike to run right. It seems like the three methods of modifying the engine to run better are Power Commander, booster plug, or disconnecting the oxygen sensor.
Old 10-06-2016, 12:33 PM
Shooting the gap

looking good...

other options for better bike performance are

AF-Xied from Beemerboneyard

ECU Tune
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'GateKeeper' for this post:
Old 10-06-2016, 01:04 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateKeeper
looking good...

other options for better bike performance are

AF-Xied from Beemerboneyard

ECU Tune

Thanks. When you say "ECU Tune", is that a company?
Old 10-06-2016, 02:37 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Thanks. When you say "ECU Tune", is that a company?

yes...

see here

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=55058

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=46100

http://www.pirateslair.net/newsletterNov13.htm

lot's of info and ideas.....

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'GateKeeper' for this post:
Old 10-09-2016, 04:18 AM
Shooting the gap

Regarding idling, I took the bike up to a fairly high altitude and noticed that the idle was higher. Earlier in the trip the temperatures were very high and the bike was idling very roughly. I'm suspecting either the idle control valve or whatever the BMW version of that is or possibly the airbox?

I replaced the front turn signals with clear lenses and silver bulbs that flash amber color.

Before:

After:

Some pics of nice bike taken in front of run down abandoned warehouse for artistic effect:

Rear pod after wet sanding, rubbing compound, Polishing Compound, glaze and wax:

Old 10-09-2016, 04:25 AM
Shooting the gap

Random pics:

At BMW dealer Open House:

Gassing up the hungry beast:

At 8500 feet high near Big Bear Lake:

Old 10-09-2016, 12:42 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Regarding idling, I took the bike up to a fairly high altitude and noticed that the idle was higher. Earlier in the trip the temperatures were very high and the bike was idling very roughly. I'm suspecting either the idle control valve or whatever the BMW version of that is or possibly the airbox?

Doubtful. That's just the normal fueling woes on these bikes. At altitude you have less Oxygen, thus a more rich fuel mixture, and that's the primary fix at low RPM on these bikes with the fuel tuning; enriching the mixture.

The Jack Daniels hide a bottle came out very nice!
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'rpeck' for this post:
Old 10-09-2016, 03:01 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeck

The Jack Daniels hide a bottle came out very nice!
Thanks...was a bit of work but I think it paid off.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:17 PM
Shooting the gap

I have a 1999 Triumph Sprint ST 955i in Tornado Red which has been down for 6 months due to a clutch issue caused by me. I fixed the clutch and it runs now. The problem is that is runs too well. I havent ridden the bike since I bought the K12S. Here are my thoughts and then I would like to hear your thoughts, especially those that have owned a Triumph Sprint.

Triumph Sprint:
Its a 1999 so its 17 years old this year. I have all the valuable factory hard cases, both sides and the top box, the factory tank bag, and a Triumph Tiger Adventure bag. I have 3 seats....a custom Corbin with back rest, a custom solo seat with factory rear cowl, and the stock seat. The luggage holds much more than the K12S luggage and is user friendly. The bike is lighter but much less horsepower. The brakes are good but not great. The engine....oh what a lovely engine the triple is. It pulls right from the dig...smooth and strong. The transmission is buttery smooth, so much so that I wasnt sure it was in gear because i got used to the clunky K12S tranny. The Tornado Red is one of the most beautiful colors. It doesnt have a computer with a bunch of info...just a clock. It has factory heated grips. I have heavier fork springs and a redone rear shock and heavier spring. I added a Laminar lip to the windscreen. It has the Triumph Offroad carbon fiber muffler.

2008 BMW K1200S:
Its 8 years old. I have all the factory bags which are very nice but the side cases are not that roomy. I have the stock seat and the really nice modular Sargent seat with rear storage pod and rear seat and back rest. The bike is heavier but solid-feeling. It doesnt seem as nimble as the Triumph but it does have this gliding feel which is very nice. The tranny is clunky. The power is erratic from idle to midrange. It has an amazing sound with the Scorpion muffler, but the power delivery is poor until higher rpms, very disappointing, but correctable with a bunch of $$$ and aftermarket adders. Overall power is very strong. The brakes are great. Factory heated grips are the best I have ever had. The computer gives a lot of useful information. The color combination is possibly the most beautiful design of any bike I have seen. The blue wheels are just stunning.

Anyway, what are your thoughts regarding a comparison of these two bikes?
Old 10-12-2016, 03:41 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:

Anyway, what are your thoughts regarding a comparison of these two bikes?

One's British and ones German and without us American's and Churchill; they would both be German.

Those are my first thoughts, anyway. Might be that WWII in color shit I've been watching before I go to sleep.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:40 PM
Shooting the gap

I have been wanting to unload some of my bike collection. I have 3 sport tourers: 1999 Honda CBR 100XX Blackbird, 1999 Triumph Sprint ST, and the 08 K1200S. All three are amazing bikes in their own right. The Blackbird has the newer digital gauges and rare Corbin Beetle bags in addition to other things. The Triumph and BMW have all the things in the above-mentioned post. Im thinking keep the BMW since is newer, lower miles and more recently owned. Its difficult to get rid of such nice machines.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:58 PM
Shooting the gap

I really want to focus on driveability. The bike has a Scorpion Slip on. I dont know what air filter it has. The problem is that the poor idle and low end snatchiness can be various problems. Also, people are using various fixes. I want to avoid bandaiding the bike by trying to alter the fuel deliver if the problem is a faulty sensor.

I have read as many threads as i can about this problem. The easiest thing to try is the TPS calibration. I disconnected my battery for several minutes, cleaned the battery terminal that was very dirty, reconnected the battery, turned the engine to ON, but not Start, waited for the diagnostics to run through, and then opened and closed the throttle all the way 3 times, then turned off the bike.

Then I went for a ride. First I went to the gas station and filled up with Chevron 91 octane. It has been reported that low level of fuel can cause poor running because the fuel pump may be overheating. Then I rode in in the city in stop and go traffic to heat the bike up. The ambient temperature was 65 degrees. It has been reported that high temperatures cause poor idle and stalling. I felt like the bike pulled away from a stoplight much better. However, the idle was still rough.

After 5 miles, the bike stalled. I started it and it stalled again and did that a couple of times. I started it and then revved the engine. Bike idled quite smoothly. I brought it home and the bike seemed to be running fine after the stalling incident, although home was about 1/2 mile from the stalling incident.

Summary of the engine performance problems:

Rough Idle
Stalling after engine is warmed up
Hesitation upon starting out from a stop and part throttle

The hesitation issue may be resolved from resetting the TPS...Im not sure. I will need to ride it some more to make that determination.

Supposedly, the airbox on the 2008 is updated from the earlier bikes but i have read conflicting information on this issue. I am thinking that it may be the Idle Air Control Valve sticking or the air temperature sensor not functioning correctly. I believe a bad airbox causes the bike to stick at high rpms, which is a problem I do not have. The problems have been at idle and low rpms.

I contacted David at Rexxer (www.rexxer.com) and I am considering sending my ECU to him for a reflash. Before I do that, I want to make sure my idle problems are not something with one of the sensors or the IAC valve.

Thoughts?
Old 10-19-2016, 10:35 AM
Site Contributor

Just like you said, rough idle is from not enough fuel getting injected.

I run a PCIII and my rough idle is gone. (And i have a quickshifter now too, yeah)

Why dont you try unplugging the exhaust O2 sensor for a day and see if the rough idle disappears. Your bike then runs in" limp home mode" and injects more fuel. Obviously, your fuel economy goes to shits, but the idle issue should be gone for a day.....haha

If the bike keeps stalling even with the o2 sensor removed, then i would look at the idle air controllers.....

Last, and thats a job for the BMW dealer, the spark plugs. (Cooler needs to be removed and then vaccum filled/bled)
Old 10-19-2016, 02:32 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrique83
Just like you said, rough idle is from not enough fuel getting injected.

I run a PCIII and my rough idle is gone. (And i have a quickshifter now too, yeah)

Why dont you try unplugging the exhaust O2 sensor for a day and see if the rough idle disappears. Your bike then runs in" limp home mode" and injects more fuel. Obviously, your fuel economy goes to shits, but the idle issue should be gone for a day.....haha

If the bike keeps stalling even with the o2 sensor removed, then i would look at the idle air controllers.....

Last, and thats a job for the BMW dealer, the spark plugs. (Cooler needs to be removed and then vaccum filled/bled)

The rough idle is intermittent. Sometimes it does smooth out. This leads me to believe that it is not the fuel map, because an incorrect fuel map would be consistent, I would think. I have thought about unplugging the O2 sensor but isnt it kind of a pain to get to (gas tank comes off?).

Yesterday I did some more experimenting. I did a TPS reset and cleaned a very dirty battery terminal. The low speed snatchiness seems to be about 80% better believe it or not. The bike still stalled a few times.

From my research on this topic, I discovered that one quick solution that worked for some, was to use a fuel additive, especially here in California where we have dishwater for gasoline. I added 1/3 of a can of Seafoam to a 3/4 full gas tank and rode the bike around. Snatchiness was still 80% gone but....I could not get the bike to stall. I was idling a bit rough, but actually not bad. I heated up the bike as much as I could, but not stalling.

The weather is turning hot the next few days. Ill ride it around and see if it stalls. I probably still should get the ECU tuned. I am still in touch with David at Rexxer. I am wondering if a custom dyno tune is better than a standard type tune that Rexxer would provide. Any thoughts on this? The PC3 option is attractive especially with the quickshift feature. Its expensive though.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:10 PM
Twisted Wrister

I had similar problems, always using Chevron gas helps but I did not try SeaFoam.
Brentune makes a handheld which is what I used because I did not want to send out the ECU. Also if the dealer "updates" the ECU you have to send it in again. With the handheld you can reflash yourself.
Lastly, Brentune gave me a 75% off idle fix the first time around and sent me a second map for free with a little richer off idle. He also mentioned I probably have a VERY small air leak in there causing the off idle while hot stalls.
At least it's fixed now.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:34 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOA
I had similar problems, always using Chevron gas helps but I did not try SeaFoam.
Brentune makes a handheld which is what I used because I did not want to send out the ECU. Also if the dealer "updates" the ECU you have to send it in again. With the handheld you can reflash yourself.
Lastly, Brentune gave me a 75% off idle fix the first time around and sent me a second map for free with a little richer off idle. He also mentioned I probably have a VERY small air leak in there causing the off idle while hot stalls.
At least it's fixed now.

Actually, I normally use Berryman Chemtool B12 for a fuel cleaner, but I had some Seafoam laying around. I may run a few tanks for gas mixed with fuel cleaner and see how that is. I think in the long run that an ECU modification of some kind is in my future.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:46 PM
Site Contributor

The rexxer mod is from what i've read a good option.
But, as with all fuel injection increase, your mileage will suffer.

I use around 30% more fuel now, city and highway riding.

But having a PC installed makes the bike by far more pleasant to ride.
Deceleration is not as abrupt anymore and the snatchy throttle is gone.

In comparison to my buddies k1300 it is fairly close to its rideability/behavior, but you have to keep in mind that the 1300 camshafts are different when it comes to intake valve opening times. More fuel is injected (opening times vs fuel injection) into a 1300 cylinder compared to a 1200.

The 1200 was not BMW's masterpiece thats for sure.

Unplugging the battery and resetting the TPS works only for a short while..... The engine controller (BMSK) is a computer that learns/adapts to the enviroment after a few miles. After a while (45 mins) it should be back to where it was before.

I rode downhill for about 10km once, temperature change from 20 to 30 degrees
C. At the bottom of the hill the bike wouldn't idle right and was even more snatchy..... It cleared after about 20 miles.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:56 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
The rexxer mod is from what i've read a good option.
But, as with all fuel injection increase, your mileage will suffer.

I use around 30% more fuel now, city and highway riding.

But having a PC installed makes the bike by far more pleasant to ride.
Deceleration is not as abrupt anymore and the snatchy throttle is gone.

In comparison to my buddies k1300 it is fairly close to its rideability/behavior, but you have to keep in mind that the 1300 camshafts are different when it comes to intake valve opening times. More fuel is injected (opening times vs fuel injection) into a 1300 cylinder compared to a 1200.

Unplugging the battery and resetting the TPS works only for a short while..... The engine controller (BMSK) is a computer that learns/adapts to the enviroment after a few miles. After a while (45 mins) it should be back to where it was before.

I rode downhill for about 10km once, temperature change from 20 to 30 degrees
C. At the bottom of the hill the bike wouldn't idle right and was even more snatchy..... It cleared after about 20 miles.

So which is better, the rexxer or PC?

I found a stock K1200R muffler locally that someone is selling for $20. It is the exact same part number as the K1200S muffler. Since it is so cheap, Im going to buy it and install it, and see how that affects the performance. I'm sure the quietness will be nice. Ill post videos showing the difference with the Scorpion muffler, vs the stock muffler. If anything, I can include the muffler with the bike, when I decide to sell the bike, which I hope wont be for a long long time.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:00 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:

but you have to keep in mind that the 1300 camshafts are different when it comes to intake valve opening times. More fuel is injected (opening times vs fuel injection) into a 1300 cylinder compared to a 1200.

The camshaft profiles are the same but the overlap is slightly reduced. I think they moved it one or two teeth on the exhaust drive gear. The big change is in the K1300 cylinder head where they but a bump just before the intake valve to increase air velocity and improve tumble. The big increase in displacement along with the slightly reworked ports helps to increase airflow velocity which does the most to fill the cylinder at low speed running. A PC or Rexxer will only be able to help to a point because of the limitations of the port configuration and thus your intake velocity. If you really want to fix it make friends with someone with a flow bench, JB Weld and a camshaft grinder. It would be interesting to see how a K13 cylinder head does with a K12 displacement though. I haven't heard of anyone doing that one.

Quote:

Some clever ideas compromised by cross platform product planning.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:55 PM
Site Contributor

I can only speak for the PC so i can't judge.

But with the rexxer tuning you "get what you get" and there is no remapping unless you send the BMSK back in when you have problems.
Also, if you bring in your bike to BMW and they hook it up the computer, you run the risk of loosing the rexxer flash if the service technician decides to recode the BMSK to BMW Stock standard.

The PC can be retuned and you can install the quickshifter sensor really easily afterwards.

I had a stayntune exhaust on the bike when i bought it...... Loud as f_ck and the bike was running really rough in idle. I suspect, not enough backpressure. The dealership installed a used original muffler and the idle got better, but wasn't perfect.

Now with the PC installed and the OEM Muffler the bike is as smooth as a 1300.
A real treat was also installing a 1300 driveshaft.... The shifting is alot smoother now.....
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Patrique83' for this post:
Old 10-21-2016, 07:15 PM
Twisted Wrister

PC or Brentune or Rexxer?
In order of total cost and complexity:

PC is by far the most complex and time consuming, but pretty much guaranteed results. You will need expert installation and dyno time.

Brentune hand held flash is a bit less versatile, but you can get new maps via email. If any problems show up, you can re-flash in about half an hour.

Rexxer is a one shot deal, hope they get it right. By far the easiest but you lose use of the bike for a while. Also no backup plan if the dealer messes your flash up
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'DOA' for this post:
Old 10-24-2016, 03:23 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
I can only speak for the PC so i can't judge.

But with the rexxer tuning you "get what you get" and there is no remapping unless you send the BMSK back in when you have problems.
Also, if you bring in your bike to BMW and they hook it up the computer, you run the risk of loosing the rexxer flash if the service technician decides to recode the BMSK to BMW Stock standard.

The PC can be retuned and you can install the quickshifter sensor really easily afterwards.

I had a stayntune exhaust on the bike when i bought it...... Loud as f_ck and the bike was running really rough in idle. I suspect, not enough backpressure. The dealership installed a used original muffler and the idle got better, but wasn't perfect.

Now with the PC installed and the OEM Muffler the bike is as smooth as a 1300.
A real treat was also installing a 1300 driveshaft.... The shifting is alot smoother now.....

I picked up the stock muffler on Sunday - $20 and in good shape. The seller also found the heat shield.

This is kind of along the lines of what I am thinking. I would like flexibility regarding tuning. If I use the stock muffler, Id like a tune for that. If I use the Scorpion muffler, I imagine the tune would be different. I like the idea of a quickshift as this was an option for the K1300S. David at rexxer seems very nice, but I think a PC3 is what I need. I just need a place to dyno tune it.
Old 10-24-2016, 06:57 PM
Site Contributor

I run the map from the previous owner of the PC.
He had his k1200s tuned at a dyno and comparing it to the downloadable map from the power commander website it was not much of a difference.
I ran both maps for a few weeks and there was no noticeable difference between the two.

I think getting it dyno tuned is really only worthwhile if you are going for max HP/performance.

All up i paid (Australian) $200 for PCIII and $150 for the quickshifter. The K&N filters were a freebie from the previous pc owner.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:41 PM
Shooting the gap

I just got back from 2500 mile trip from Los Angeles to Idaho, to the Oregon coast and down the coast home on my Suzuki Vstrom.

I replaced the Scorpion muffler with a factory K1200S muffler. Very easy swap. The factory muffler weighed about 14.5 lbs. The Scorpion was about 5 lbs. I shot a video of the Scorpion muffler before I did the swap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq1lYIAlzvg

The factory muffler is a but quieter, but not much. I should have disconnected the ECU before firing up the bike with the stock muffler on, but I didnt. I rode it around a few times. The bike ran fairly nice, but it still has that hesitation when accelerating suddenly. Idle was a bit rough, but not terrible. Ill keep it on for a while.

By the way, I started the bike without the muffler.....woooohooooo

Anyway....

Regarding ECU tuning, Im leaning towards the PC3. I like the flexibility of loading in multiple maps in case I want to swap mufflers. Also, I like the quick shift option. I need to pull the tank and check to see what air filters it has before having the bike tuned.
Old 11-09-2016, 03:23 PM
Shooting the gap

I pulled the trigger on a used Power Commander3 that was on a K12S with a slip on. Hopefully that will help it run well. It isnt stalling since I did the TPS reset and put in some Seafoam in the tank. The idle seems stronger and more steady. I still have the low speed hesitation that Im hoping the PC3 will fix.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:18 PM
Shooting the gap

You seem to find the good deals all the time...hope the PC helps you out..
Old 11-11-2016, 08:56 PM
Site Contributor

PM me so we can swap fuel maps....
Old 11-14-2016, 02:21 PM
Shooting the gap

It looks like Im getting the PC3 today according to the shipping information. Time to get the bike apart!!

While its apart, I planned to check the air filters (change to K and N if not done), check/replace spark plugs, and check coolant for freshness. Anything else I should check? Valve clearances?
Old 11-14-2016, 04:28 PM
Twisted Wrister

Do the metal fuel tank disconnect mod if not done already.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'DOA' for this post:
Old 11-15-2016, 06:12 PM
Shooting the gap

Ill add metal fuel connectors to the list.

I got the PC3 yesterday. I have a cable that that plugs into the small port and has a USB on the other end.

If anyone has any maps on yheir PC3, we could trade maps. Just let me know before I install it on the bike.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:06 AM
Shooting the gap

***Update*** I had a busy weekend I didn't get to progress as much as I hoped. My back has been bothering me the last week and a half and I had lots to do this weekend including checking out the progressive motorcycle show in Long Beach which was pretty good. I rode the bike around until the gas tank was almost empty.

I remove the seat and the side fairings fairly easily and as I was wiggling the gas tank around I noticed that it was leaking a little bit at the quick disconnect plastic connector. I know those have to be replaced so I ordered a metal one from Beemer boneyard. I'm looking for instructions as to how to remove the airbox but I can't seem to find them.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:50 AM
Twisted Wrister

Quote:
Did these bikes come with a tool kit ?

Oh yes - if you look carefully under the seat at the right hand side, you will see a little pocket that takes a credit card . . .
History:
Yamaha RD250 (x2)
Yamaha XS750
Kawasaki Z1000 (x3)
Honda Blackbird
Yamaha FJ1200 (x2)
BMW K1200S
Old 11-22-2016, 01:43 PM
Shooting the gap

I removed the snorkels from the air box and it looks like I have K & N air filters. Then I unplugged the hoses. I got stuck trying to figure out how to remove the airbox clamps but I did some reading and I think I can figure it out.

While I had the snorkels out I was examining them. The front has a very small opening compared to the part that is just in front of the air filter. There seems to be an argument as to whether or not removing the snorkels is beneficial. Some people say that you lose the ram air effect by removing them. Others say that there really isn't much of a ram-air effect until very high speeds so the increased opening outweighs any minor benefit of a ram air effect. I am inclined to remove the snorkels.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:50 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,533 Times in 1,173 Posts

Those air box clips and some others use this tool:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:57 PM
Shooting the gap

Actually I easily unclipped all 4 clamps using a strategically-placed screwdriver by prying the end of the clamp it just popped off. Once I figured out how to do it it took only a few minutes to do the other three clamps. I removed a couple of connectors and out came the air box.

I brought the air box inside and remove that idle control valve that seems to cause trouble. I watch some YouTube videos and read some forums discussions about how to lightly sand the inside of that and then grease it so that the idle never sticks. I think I will do that as well.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:26 AM
Site Contributor

Ahhh.... Not a good idea.

A. The plunger and the surface have to be absolutely smooth. And by sanding away more the plunger is going to bypass more air, making the idle worse.

B. Dont use oil/grease/lubricant. They will become sticky after a while and fine dust is going to become trapped.

I am suspecting you are installing the PC3 now?!

Trust me, with those numbers i gave you, the idle will be smooth as.....
I wouldn't touch the idle air controler unless the bike permanently stalls on you.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:48 AM
Shooting the gap

Check out the discussion on the k1200gt forum. They call it the airbox fettle. He did exactly what I did which is just sending just barely enough so that the plunger does not stick and the plastic has been polished with a very very fine grit sandpaper. I used 1500.

I plan on either installing your map or modifying the existing one and then installing the PC3. Right now I have everything apart and I'm going to check various things and service the bike.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:55 AM
Site Contributor

Wow!!!!!

I loaded the map you sent onto the PC3 today and went for a ride.......

HOLY SHIT.... I blew away almost half a tank of gas in 35 miles.

And i hardly went fast at all, 65mph to 75mph with only one short burst to 120.

As suspected, the low rpm/throttle range was really snatchy. Almost as if the bike is back to stock standard.

I wouldnt recommend running it on your bike.......
Old 11-24-2016, 08:34 AM
Shooting the gap

Im glad you tested it!! Ill load the correct map that you recently sent.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:46 PM
Shooting the gap

When I examined the map, it looks like the idle circuit is richer at 1000 rpms and leans out as you go up a bit compared to the other map. Thats probably why it was still snatchy. I am wondering what difference removing the snorkles will have on the way it runs. Can anyone give me feedback if you removed your snorkles?