I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S/KR" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S/KR" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 01-11-2017, 11:46 AM
Moderator -Tainting The i-BMW Gene Pool
Thanked 2,803 Times in 1,276 Posts

Need Shocks? Good News!

I learned today that owners of the mighty K12S/R/GT & K13S/R/GT can get aftermarket shocks with ESA functionality or have your original ESA shocks rebuilt right here in the good ol' USA.

I was having a conversation with "loner" who's farkling up his new K16GT, and he mentioned he was equipping it with Wilbers. He mentioned too that the place he was working with (Wilbers USA) can provide Wilbers with ESA. I was under the impression Wilbers with ESA are only available for the R12GS/GSA, so I made an inquiry with Klaus Huenecke, the owner of EPM Performance Imports (US Wilbers rep) & he provided some clarification & some good info for those of us who need shocks. Here's the response I rec'd from Klaus:

Hi Curt,

Thank you for your interest in our products and services.

Yes, we can supply ESA shocks with the transfer of the OEM ESA components for the K 1200/1300 S/R/GT models, but they are not Wilbers, they are Hyperpro shocks. We can also rebuild the OEM ESA shocks for those models and supply new Hyperpro progressive springs for the OEM shocks.

We are the only company doing this, there is nobody else in the entire US and most likely world – hard to believe but it is true. The new shocks are from Hyperpro. The HyperPro set including the transfer of the ESA components is roughly $1,350.00. The new shocks are built to the rider's weight & can be built to lower the ride height.

A rebuild service of the OEM front and rear is $600.00... with new springs add $300.00. We can also replace a burned or rusted out or otherwise failed ESA stepper drive for the rebound damping adjustment on the OEM shocks. Some problems with failed ESA pre-load adjustments can be repaired as well.

The above three positions can only be done at and by EPM Performance with the use of Hyperpro parts. There is nobody else in the US who can do or supply the same & nobody who can offer better prices for this type of work and/or products than us. These products & services are available not only for K bikes but R, GS & F bikes as well.

If there is anything I can do for you, let me know.

Regards

Klaus Huenecke
EPM Performance Imports
Email: info@epmperf.com

$1350 is roughly what I paid for my Wilbers in 2015 & while I have very little knowledge of Hyperpro or their product quality, I'd be hard pressed to not consider either solution if I needed new shocks. I am in no way unhappy with my Wilbers but having a performance shock that features ESA would be nice. And $600 to have the factory ESA rebuilt seems like a smokin' deal to me.

Feel free to contact Klaus directly at the email address above or call him at (732) 786-9600.

Hope this helps somebody down the road.
2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion Edition a.k.a. "Brutus"

- FZ

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" -
Arthur Schopenhauer

"Vulgarity is the crutch of an illiterate mutherfucker" - Chris Andries
The following (7) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'McFly' for this post:
Old 01-11-2017, 01:23 PM
WACKY RACER

Re: Need Shocks? Good News!

Great news for many of us. Thanks,Curt.

THIS NEEDS TO BE A STICKY!

Oh, it already IS a sticky..

bert brumfield
Kernersville, NC
2007 K1200GT
2007 K1200R-SPORT
1998 K1200RS [TAXI]
MSF Instructor
RETIRED
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Bertbrumfield' for this post:
Old 01-11-2017, 02:05 PM
Site Contributor

I have an 09 k13s with non ESA shocks. The bike has almost 30k miles so I need new shocks or a rebuild. I assume that a rebuild with new springs will substantially improve the bike's performance, and that can be done cost effectively given that they are non ESA. My question is, how much more improvement would i get with a set of Wilbur or Hyperpro shocks? Is it worth the extra money?

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s
Old 01-11-2017, 02:13 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,774 Times in 2,047 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby
I have an 09 k13s with non ESA shocks. The bike has almost 30k miles so I need new shocks or a rebuild. I assume that a rebuild with new springs will substantially improve the bike's performance, and that can be done cost effectively given that they are non ESA. My question is, how much more improvement would i get with a set of Wilbur or Hyperpro shocks? Is it worth the extra money?
Bobby, I ditched my ESA shocks with only 8,000 miles, put on the Wilbers, cost me $2,200 and all I can say is that it transformed my bike's ride. Totally worth it for this 280 lb. 6'3" frame of mine. The bike handles for me like a bike I can ride. I can take my hand pressure off the bars mid turn and the bike follows the line I set it on. YMMV

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 01-11-2017, 02:21 PM
Site Contributor

A transformation of the handling and ride is the objective. Was wondering what the incremental improvement would likely be with a rebuild with new springs (about $900) compared to brand new Wilburs.

Black 2013 k1300s
Old 01-11-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
A transformation of the handling and ride is the objective. Was wondering what the incremental improvement would likely be with a rebuild with new springs (about $900) compared to brand new Wilburs.
IMO it's like night & day & well worth the investment for new aftermarket performance shocks.

As for the improvement you'd see with a rebuild using new, more performance oriented springs, it'd have to be better than OEM springs & probably better than new OEM springs. Plus it's a less expensive option than going whole hog with aftermarket shocks. Probably worth a call or email to Klaus to discuss.

- FZ

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident" -
Arthur Schopenhauer

This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'McFly' for this post:
Old 01-11-2017, 04:10 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly
As for the improvement you'd see with a rebuild using new, more performance oriented springs, it'd have to be better than worn out OEM springs & probably better than new OEM springs.
"Worn out OEM springs"? How often does that happen in the normal lifespan of a motorcycle?

2013 BMW K1300S "30 Years"
1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1997 Ducati 916 Monoposto
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
Old 01-11-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerMikeTX
"Worn out OEM springs"? How often does that happen in the normal lifespan of a motorcycle?
I have no idea... perhaps a poor word choice & I should've just said OEM springs.

- FZ

Arthur Schopenhauer

Old 01-11-2017, 04:59 PM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly
I have no idea... perhaps a poor word choice & I should've just said OEM springs.
Yes, that's probably a better word choice. Since BMW motorcycles reportedly have spring rates chosen for the more, ahem, svelte European rider, then replacing the OEM springs with springs that have a higher spring rate may improve the ride and handling for any less-than-svelte American riders.

1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
Old 01-12-2017, 06:43 PM
Site Contributor

Klaus wrote me an email and simply said that customers that had their OEM shocks rebuilt reported that they were "better than the originals". Not really a rousing endorsement. It would nice to hear what members here think about oem rebuild. For just a few hundred more dollars you can have new Wilburs or Hyperpros, so that's what I'll probably do.

Black 2013 k1300s
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'bobby' for this post:
Old 01-12-2017, 07:00 PM
Debbie's Servant
Thanked 3,592 Times in 1,714 Posts

Thanks Curt.
Think I'll contact them and see if they rebuild the R1200RS rear shock.
Don't need it now but it would be good to know if we have that option in the future.

Past BMWs
2011 K1300S
03 K1200RS, 91 K75S, 87 K75T, 84 R100RT

Old 01-13-2017, 10:53 AM
Exceeding Highway speeds

Quote:
Klaus wrote me an email and simply said that customers that had their OEM shocks rebuilt reported that they were "better than the originals". Not really a rousing endorsement. It would nice to hear what members here think about oem rebuild. For just a few hundred more dollars you can have new Wilburs or Hyperpros, so that's what I'll probably do.
A few hundred more dollars? If you don't need new springs to haul your less-than-svelte butt around, a rebuild of OEM ESA is HALF the price of new Wilbers or Hyperpros.

1995 BMW R1100RS
1988 BMW K75S
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
Old 01-14-2017, 12:27 AM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

Smile Re: Need Shocks? Ed Sorba @ Lindeman Engineering also

Ed ( just outside of Los Angeles, CA) does shock rebuilds and makes sure the final product is just right for you. I had mine rebuilt and increased the spring rate. For the cruising two up on rougher roads I went back to the original springs for the comfort in the ride 2 up. On smooth roads the increase in spring rate had the bike holding a line just a little better. My K1300GT had 50 000 miles when the bikes shocks were rebuilt. You choose which way. Here is a list of his pricing
http://www.le-suspension.com/shock-services/
Old 01-28-2017, 04:52 PM
Twisted Wrister

At what mileage do K1200 bikes ususllay need to rebuild/replace the shocks??

BC
Old 01-28-2017, 05:06 PM
Deplorable and Still Rides
Thanked 2,774 Times in 2,047 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
At what mileage do K1200 bikes ususllay need to rebuild/replace the shocks??

BC
25-35k miles depending

Don’t confuse me for someone who Gives a Fuck

‘Narcissism is the gift for the unhappy few.’ Unknown

Current Bikes-The Perfect Combination
'15 R12GSAW 'The I-BMW Pussy Bike'
'09 K1300S 'fits me like a glove' with Wilbers
Handy Motorcycle Lift

Past Bikes
'04 K1200RS with Ohlins (traded for GSA)
'11 F800R (traded for GSA)
Old 07-13-2017, 10:22 PM
Has gotten a ticket or two…

You might consider talking to Ted Porter as well. He claims to sell more Wilbers than any other US distrib. He told me about a recent price drop, too.
https://www.beemershop.com/

I just purchased and installed a set of Wilbers from him. Super helpful, all the info and instruction you want and then some.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:52 AM
Shooting the gap

Another Wilbers endorsement here. When ~30k miles rolls up on my K1300S, I'll be shopping new Wilbers for it.

I replaced both front and rear OEM Shocks on my '99 BMW R1100S with new Wilbers from Ted Porter. It transformed the bike! Not only do you get much improved handling but the ride quality is way better. Adjustability (preload/damping) is much better as well. Lastly, at the end of a long day in the saddle you feel less beat up.
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers. Color: Red/Black.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:04 AM
The Other White Meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jargon
25-35k miles depending

Ruh Roh. That's me. I'm just shy of 30K on the bumblebee and read Curt's Wilbers upgrade thread a few years ago. What I saw was far more involved that I thought it would be after having upgraded my RT shocks to Wilbers that I got from Klaus (I believe his shop was in Florida at the time). Yes, the difference was incredible and the actual install was easy so I had high hopes of the same for my K until I read Curt's post. After that I wanted to drink heavily.

Anyway, my K12's shocks aren't what they used to be and something needs to be done......
'04 Ducati 1000DS SS
'05 Ducati ST3
'06 K1200S (bumblebee)
Old 07-14-2017, 08:33 AM
Supporting Vendor
Thanked 2,046 Times in 792 Posts

I'm in the same boat.. Mine is just shy of 40K and the difference is evident.. I'll probably have Klaus send mine off to be rebuilt so I can keep the ESA (as I use it constantly..), but the install is over my head. Will have to let a dealer swap them out for me... Geezz..

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky
Ruh Roh. That's me. I'm just shy of 30K on the bumblebee and read Curt's Wilbers upgrade thread a few years ago. What I saw was far more involved that I thought it would be after having upgraded my RT shocks to Wilbers that I got from Klaus (I believe his shop was in Florida at the time). Yes, the difference was incredible and the actual install was easy so I had high hopes of the same for my K until I read Curt's post. After that I wanted to drink heavily.

Anyway, my K12's shocks aren't what they used to be and something needs to be done......
Old 07-14-2017, 12:58 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
I'm in the same boat.. Mine is just shy of 40K and the difference is evident.. I'll probably have Klaus send mine off to be rebuilt so I can keep the ESA (as I use it constantly..), but the install is over my head. Will have to let a dealer swap them out for me... Geezz..

Get quote up front! Touring Sport in Greenville quoted me an hour to remove and and hour to install (that's both front and rear), bargain if you ask me!!
I am getting towards 56k miles now, that means around 20k on the HyperPros I installed (with ESA), so will be time soon to send them in for my 1st rebuild/service (included free when I bought them!).

2010 Lava Orange and Carbon K1300S - traded
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'SimonUK' for this post: