I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S/KR" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S/KR" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 02-09-2017, 01:43 PM
Entering the on-ramp

LAMPF! LEFT SIGNAL DRAMA, PLEASE HELP!!

Hi guys, hoping someone has come across this issue before and could point me in the rite direction, searched on multiple places and haven't found the info i need.

06 k1200s , LAMPF! on the display, front nearside indicator is not working, replaced bulb and holder, its still not working! The wire thats run down into the mirror is connected correctly and has no visible signs of corrosion.

Any suggestions on what i should be looking for next?? Hoping to trace the mirror wires tomorrow when its bright ,, hopefully it has just popped of a connecter somewhere, i did have the fairings off the bike recently so i could have snagged it i guess,, thanks in advance guys!!
Old 02-09-2017, 06:52 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,172 Posts

Re: LAMPF! LEFT SIGNAL DRAMA, PLEASE HELP!!

Well as you say you were inside the bike. But be sure that another bulb is not causing trouble. (Nearside, is that the right side?) Double check all your work. I know it can be frustrating. And, take a meter to be sure your new bulb actually is good. Test it in another position on the bike or a battery, something. Never assume something is good because it is new and the problem continues.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
The following (3) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'Beech' for this post:
Old 02-10-2017, 11:31 AM
Site Contributor

Front nearside? Where is that?
I assume you are talking about your mirror indicator.....

Have you measured the voltage output in the mirror light bulb socket?
Next thing i would check is voltage on the wireharness to mirror plug.

If you get nothing at the mirror, but get voltage at wireharness plug, then your cable that runs through the mirror is broken......

Worst case, your ZFE unit which controls the indicators is stuffed. Someone here had light problems and it turned out that the ZFE had water in the case and it corroded the circuit board.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Patrique83' for this post:
Old 02-10-2017, 12:23 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Hi guys ,, thank you both for the help so far. Yep nearside is closest to the kerb (uk). So sitting on the bike it's my front left mirror indicator. I did check with a multi metre at the bulb holder and I get an equal reading on both sides.. very strange.

Snowing outside now so it will have to wait. Hopefully when I get the fairings off i'l have a better view of the wiring and get myself sorted, hoping I snagged the wires from the mirror someplace. Fingers crossed it ain't the zfe ;-)
Old 02-10-2017, 01:13 PM
Shooting the gap

Start with where the fingerprints are, that's always the highest percentage. You said you removed fairings, I'd say you pinched something while you were re-assembling.

Good luck, make sure you let us know what you found.

2014 K1600GT
2006 K1200GT (sold)
2011 HD Street Glide (sold)
2009 HD Fatboy (sold)
1989 K100RS (sold)
1986 Suzuki GSXR-750 (sold)
1980 Suzuki GS750G (sold)
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'JonK100RS' for this post:
Old 02-10-2017, 02:50 PM
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonK100RS
I'd say you pinched something while you were re-assembling.
That exact thing happened to me when I removed a mirror once.

Black 2013 k1300s
Mandarin/Titan Silver Metallic 1999 r1100s
Lava 2009 k1300s (for sale )
Old 02-10-2017, 05:12 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Yep i'l get the fairings off again tomorrow and go over everything. When you replaced the mirror where did the two wires lead too?? I am assuming there will be some kind of connecter box up under the clocks??thanks in advance!! I'l report back when I am flashing again haha
Old 02-10-2017, 06:24 PM
Site Contributor

Too long a story for here. I didn't actually remove the mirror. I unscrewed it and when I realized there wasn't a quick release wire clip I remounted the mirror. In the process I pinched a wire and after a couple days riding I got the Lampf warning. I changed the bulb and that didn't fix it. I loosened the mirror screws again and found the pinched wire.

Black 2013 k1300s
The following (2) I-BMW members 'like', thank -or- are 'shouting out' to 'bobby' for this post:
Old 02-13-2017, 09:32 AM
Entering the on-ramp

LAMPF Drama Solved! Ok so first off thanks for all the replies, hopefully i can be of help to all you guys in the future..

It was a simple fix to be fair, removed the 2 torx screws that hold on the black trim on either side beneath the clocks. This was enough the pull the trim out of the way and get a look at where the wires from the mirror indicators plug in. It was obvious at this point the connector wasn't inserted correctly. Clipped it back in and i am now flashing as normal!

Thankfully no ZFE this time!

Thanks again, J
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Mr Jay B' for this post:
Old 02-13-2017, 10:12 AM
Site Contributor

Right on. Love those simple fixes. Thanks for letting us know how it turned out.

Black 2013 k1300s
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'bobby' for this post:
Old 02-13-2017, 02:32 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,529 Times in 1,172 Posts

Good deal, seems like you had a feeling for the solution in your original post. Simple is the first thing to check.
S1000R
I need a Vespa
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:47 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beech
Good deal, seems like you had a feeling for the solution in your original post. Simple is the first thing to check.

haha exactly ,, keep it simple ;-)
Old 04-08-2018, 10:38 AM
The Other White Meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jay B
LAMPF Drama Solved! Ok so first off thanks for all the replies, hopefully i can be of help to all you guys in the future..

It was a simple fix to be fair, removed the 2 torx screws that hold on the black trim on either side beneath the clocks. This was enough the pull the trim out of the way and get a look at where the wires from the mirror indicators plug in. It was obvious at this point the connector wasn't inserted correctly. Clipped it back in and i am now flashing as normal!

Thankfully no ZFE this time!

Thanks again, J

Interesting. I started having this problem last year on my 2006 K12S, too. I replaced the left turn signal bulb and the problem went away for a while then reappeared. So, I'm sitting in the left turn lane wondering to myself how a new bulb could go bad so quickly and that's when I noticed that the left turn indicator light on the instrument panel blinked at a much fast rate than the right turn indicator. Once I got home and switched off the bike it seemed to reset itself or so I thought.

This is when I began to notice a pattern: the problem occurred every I engaged the K12S' warp drive . And every time I turn off the bike the problem goes away. My approach was going to be that I remove the bulb and put a little dielectric grease on the end to enhance its connection to the socket. Instead I'll follow your path and report back when the weather allows for some "spirited" riding.
'04 Ducati 1000DS SS
'05 Ducati ST3
'06 K1200S (bumblebee)