I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S" Gen. Discussions
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S" Gen. Discussions All about the bike

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 03-08-2017, 07:55 PM
Shooting the gap

Next?

I've just sold my beloved K12S now I'm faced with a decision. What's next? I'm moving from CT to Toronto and plan to do some sightseeing with my wife. I'd like something that is comfortable for 2 up cruising, has decent wind protection, handles well, and is reasonably fast. ( not asking for much, eh?). I know many are fans of the GS but not sure that's for me. I'm thinking of a K16GT, RT, or Duc Multistrada. Suggestions welcome!
Old 03-08-2017, 08:16 PM
NC Piedmont rider

Re: Next?

Ask LEE about the possibilities of the R12RS as he had the K13S prior to the RS. Also since you mentioned the Duc perhaps you need to look at the S XR as well.
76 Pillion ver 1.0
Live Life Richly
Old 03-08-2017, 08:50 PM
Administrator
Thanked 5,491 Times in 3,181 Posts

Paul:

If you are going to do 2 up riding hands down K1600. The 1600 is awesome and it will not disappoint when riding solo.

The engine is awesome in every respect. Smooth is an understatement - power is awesome.

The bike handles like a smaller bike.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 03-08-2017, 08:52 PM
Shooting the gap

I did check out the XR. Superbike fast but really buzzy engine. Not sure my wife would be all that comfortable on it too. The RS is a great looking bike so I'd be interested in seeing how it handles and overall ergonomics. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2017, 08:54 PM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
Paul:

If you are going to do 2 up riding hands down K1600. The 1600 is awesome and it will not disappoint when riding solo.

The engine is awesome in every respect. Smooth is an understatement - power is awesome.

The bike handles like a smaller bike.

Bruce, I've heard good things about it but it seems huge. However, it does check all the boxes.
By the way, is tha your k13s I see for sale?
Old 03-08-2017, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcv57
Bruce, I've heard good things about it but it seems huge. However, it does check all the boxes.
By the way, is tha your k13s I see for sale?
Paul:
The bike is big but you have to take one for a ride. It feels big just from roll away once going 5 mph it feels great.
Yes that is my bike.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 03-09-2017, 08:05 AM
Shooting the gap

I may try to get over to Max's this weekend and test ride one depending on weather. I found one on CL that has very low miles but is in NY.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:14 AM
(Moderator) My Life is a Blur

Send a message via Skype™ to Karlb

to the XR, Cheryl sat on the back the other day and is thinking of trying to ride pillion again now that her arm is 3 years out from the break says it has more room for her than the K12GT did.
To the buzz, first it is supposed to get less over time, second heavier bars ends mitigate a lot of it and third the fix BMW did for the 17s is cheap (I believe less than 20.00 and about 30 mins work. From early testers of 17s it is becoming a non issue.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:21 AM
Site Contributor

Checkout the K1600GT or GTL, awesome power and competent handling for a big bike. While the K1600 has some weight the bike is well balanced and you don't feel the weight once the bike is moving. None of the boxer engine bikes can come close to the performance of the K16000 but they do have their pluses. If you're looking for wind protection stay away from the GT sport model because the sport windshield doesn't offer much protection from the wind.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:20 PM
Shooting the gap

I was hoping to head to Max BMW this weekend but snow in the forecast for tomorrow
I will ask about the XR buzz fix but I felt it in the pegs too so bar-ends won't help completely. The K1600 in NY has 4600 miles and is on its second owner. The guy said he had a K12S before this and is thinking of getting a GSA. Why did 2 owners not ride this bike? We're there any issues in the early (2012) models that I should know about?
Old 03-09-2017, 10:24 PM
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,416 Posts

Quote:
I've just sold my beloved K12S now I'm faced with a decision. What's next? I'm moving from CT to Toronto and plan to do some sightseeing with my wife. I'd like something that is comfortable for 2 up cruising, has decent wind protection, handles well, and is reasonably fast. ( not asking for much, eh?). I know many are fans of the GS but not sure that's for me. I'm thinking of a K16GT, RT, or Duc Multistrada. Suggestions welcome!

Hi Paul

- With your wife,
- 2 up cruising,
- wind protection,
- handle well,
- reasonable fast.

IMO 3 bikes: S1000XR, R1200RS, K1600GT

If you consider important the final drive with shaft over the chain then R1200RS or K16.

Just a thought
Old 03-10-2017, 03:59 AM
Aussie Moderator
Thanked 5,005 Times in 2,036 Posts

Or if you don't mind going secondhand, an immaculate, low mileage K1300GT. Power, comfort, cruise, shaft, etc.

K1300S - 2011 Blue - 30,300km
R.I.P. - K1300R 2013 Red - 70,000km
Old 03-10-2017, 04:13 AM
B2R

Send a message via Skype™ to B2R

BMW updated the K1600 in 2013 so I would prefer a bike after 2013.

The K1600 bikes are very good and you should go and ride one with your wife on the back.
By far the best ride 2 up and comfort level for the pillion.

My wife says the suspension of the XR is to hard on her bad back and would not ride it, but loves the GSA.

I had a new RS for a week and it grew on me. I could live with one if I did not like the GSA that much, but prefer the GSA.

There are also new KTM 1290 bikes launched a month ago. Probably my next bike with 160HP and 142 NM.
KTM 1290 SAS ('17)
KTM 1090 R ('17)
BMW 1600GT ("18)
Old 03-10-2017, 07:40 AM
Administrator

The key to Paul's quest is really simple - if he is going to be riding two up and wants to continue to ride two up with his wife the best BMW motorcycle for the job hands down is the K1600.

Certainly other bikes can handle two up riding - but they will not provide the comfort - the power - the smoothness of the engine - the weather protection - that a K1600 does.

Remember Paul is coming off a K1200S - I happen to know how he rides - he is going to want the HP - especially riding two up. I'm guessing he wants to try and preserve some sort of that sport type ride the K1200S provided.

Certainly the R bikes and S bikes will handle quicker - they should but they are considerably smaller and lighter - all good things when riding solo.

So we read from others and myself the K1600 is big - well it is compared to other BMW's - not compared to other motorcycles in that class.

Heck it is nowhere near as big as the HD Ultra's I ride or the touring king of the world the mighty GW.

But the big difference between those three motorcycle's - and there are several - the HD all day - all week - forever comfortable - lacks modern technology - for many a deal breaker.

The GW - again all day - forever comfortable - has many modern technologies built in. The engine is tried and true dependable. But for me - the GW is getting so far away from what I think a motorcycle is it just does not work for me.

The K1600 - again all day - forever comfortable - has an unbelievable engine - when riding it you think you are riding a much lighter/smaller motorcycle. Has just about every comfort you could want. And technology wise is state of the art.

The K1600 is not a sport bike - neither was his K1200S - neither is any other BMW other than an S1000RR.

We forget this - certainly we ride bikes and ride them a certain way and modify them to do something and get them pretty close but in many cases once we start trying to mod a bike to fit a certain need it just does not work out as good as buying a bike that was truly designed for the task.

I've ridden 2 K1600's only about 150 miles - both times on country type roads - both times right after just riding my RR 100 miles - so that sport bike feel was certainly fresh in my mind.

Both times the bike felt really big in the parking lot - well because when I just got off of a bike that is 350 lbs. lighter and half the size and is as minimalistic as they come - it is big.

But the amazing thing about the K1600 once I rolled out of the parking lot most of the big bike feel went away.

Next thing I knew I was cruising these back roads not believing how fast I was going through some of the curves - the bike was awesome.

I think a K1600 would be an easy transition for a rider coming off of a K1200S.

Again toss all of my opinion right out the door if it is not in line with yours - just my two cents - but I will refer back to my first sentence in this post - if Paul wants the best BMW for two up riding and wants performance there is no other BMW that does it like the big K bike does.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 03-10-2017, 07:56 AM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,829 Times in 1,388 Posts

Quote:
I've just sold my beloved K12S now I'm faced with a decision. ....
OK, I've got to toss in a dissenting opinion here, not everyone wants a land yacht. If you like them fine but personally I'd buy a convertible sports car before I'd ride a bike any bigger than the K1300S. There, I feel better already.

My vote would be a 2017 S1000XR. Buzziness is fixed. (also cheap retro fix for pre-2017s).
edl
Old 03-10-2017, 04:35 PM
Shooting the gap

I should have know. This would be a controversial topic....especially here. lol I can't tell you how much I appreciate everyone's input.
Bruce, that is quite a testimony for the K1600. I know how you ride and your passion for performance so that carries a lot of weight with me. If I were only looking for 2 up riding and performance, the XR would be a great choice. Since I'll be riding up in Canada wind protection will also be a factor. I'll have to ride it, but I think the K1600 checks more of the boxes.
I was looking at a low mileage 2012 but if they updated it in 2013 I may want to rethink that

Cheers
Old 03-10-2017, 05:44 PM
NC Piedmont rider

Quote:
...Since I'll be riding up in Canada wind protection will also be a factor.....

Cheers

Wow, I did not realize that the wind was so dangerous up in Canada compared to here, so much so you need protection there. I will have to remember to stop at the border this summer since I will be lacking that.

NCS
76 Pillion ver 1.0
Live Life Richly
Old 03-10-2017, 07:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I was hoping to head to Max BMW this weekend but snow in the forecast for tomorrow
I will ask about the XR buzz fix but I felt it in the pegs too so bar-ends won't help completely. The K1600 in NY has 4600 miles and is on its second owner. The guy said he had a K12S before this and is thinking of getting a GSA. Why did 2 owners not ride this bike? We're there any issues in the early (2012) models that I should know about?
Paul:

If possible try to set up a few test rides back to back. Do the same route with each bike you ride. And if possible take your wife along - that will give you real world experience riding the bikes with her on board.

Not only will you get an idea of how the bikes perform you will get her opinion as a passenger.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 03-10-2017, 08:44 PM
Go Ugly Early

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev
The key to Paul's quest is really simple - if he is going to be riding two up and wants to continue to ride two up with his wife the best BMW motorcycle for the job hands down is thek1600

Wow...robust opinion there Bruce. Not knocking the k 1600 as an open road bike but no way would I want to shove 800 or so pounds around. You're demeaning other great 2 up bikes, not limited to the Rs, RT and even the slovenly GS. Imho, that's wrong.

I doubt that a MTS or XR would be the best choice though, too confining. But, my MTS is for sale!

Old 03-11-2017, 02:02 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loggiebone
Wow...robust opinion there Bruce. Not knocking the k 1600 as an open road bike but no way would I want to shove 800 or so pounds around. You're demeaning other great 2 up bikes, not limited to the Rs, RT and even the slovenly GS. Imho, that's wrong.

I doubt that a MTS or XR would be the best choice though, too confining. But, my MTS is for sale!
Doug:

In no way am I demeaning other bikes - many are fantastic - many will most definitely handle better than a K1600 - many can do the job - but for all day 2 up riding I don't think any other BMW can do it better than a K1600.

I agree the K1600's are heavy - my experience with that has been I only noticed the weight when stopped - once underway I thought the bike handled really well.

I did suggest to Paul to take out a few bikes and bring his wife along so he could make the right choice.

I know Paul is coming off of a K1200S and he likes a spirited ride - I get when riding solo he may wish he was on an S1000R but not so much when he has the wife on board.

Would I purchase a K1600 for myself - the answer is probably no - I don't ride two up - if I did - I would own one - again this is one riders opinion. Also I'm not even getting out for all day rides as much as I would like these days - if I was doing longer rides it may be a bike I would consider.

Heck I'm selling my K1300S and don't have a clue as to what I'm going to replace it with. I can't ride it for any length of time - the ergo's these days don't work for my geriatric body.

Back when I was riding two up - especially with my daughter - she weighed 120lbs. I would take her out on my K1200S most of the time. She liked going fast - but even her after a few hours on the bike she needed to take a break.

When we would go out on my Ultra she would plug into the tunes - sit back - take some pictures - never asked to stop unless she needed a bathroom break.

I guess my opinion is like me saying I think the RR is the best sport bike on the market - I don't know if that is true or not - it is true in the BMW line up - and if someone asks me what I think - I tell them I think it is a bike they need to ride.

Heck the way I'm going the C650GT is going to be the best BMW out there - and that scooter is no feather weight at 575lbs.

16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 03-11-2017, 06:33 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCStephen
Wow, I did not realize that the wind was so dangerous up in Canada compared to here, so much so you need protection there. I will have to remember to stop at the border this summer since I will be lacking that.

NCS
Why don't you ride to Canada in the spring or fall and see how you feel? I don't remember saying the wind was dangerous, but it is cold. It's one of the things I wished was better on my K12S even after purchasing an MRA windshield and X-Creen deflector. If I was buying a bike for me, the XR would probably be my choice.
Just like Bruce, I sold my K bike and don't know what I would replace it with. I do worry that the K16 will feel too big but I'm planning to do some exploring further north and will need something comfortable for long rides. Unfortunately, it's way too cold here to take anything for a test ride
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Pcv57' for this post:
Old 03-11-2017, 06:57 AM
(Moderator) My Life is a Blur

Send a message via Skype™ to Karlb

got in my top case for the XR yesterday so next nice day (think it gonna rain all weekend here) Cheryl and I will be going out for a ride, sitting on it in the garage her comment was there is more room and more comfort for her than our 2008 K12GT had. She is 5-3 120lbs. To me the K16 is a non starter, sorry but no matter how good it handles once you get to speed it is still a barge that you have to deal with a low to no speed.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:57 AM
NC Piedmont rider

Quote:
Why don't you ride to Canada in the spring or fall and see how you feel? I don't remember saying the wind was dangerous, but it is cold.
Just funning a bit with ya. I do think you are doing do diligence in this choice consideration and will be exploring options when weather is better.

I would consider all that folks are saying along with your check box list. If you went back just a few years into history, the set up with R RT was always considered a winner. Now with the new motor, for two up riding, in real world situations, the power would be sufficient for most. Only you can judge that. The farkles that adorn bikes of this level are there as well. Less horsepower, slightly less accommodation, the weight difference, ( two up is the same weight (or less) than the K16 solo -compared to two up loaded on your K S) still should keep it in consideration.

At 63 and in good shape, I would have to put into the weight factor for how I would manage it over the next 5 yrs. You will have to judge your physical factors of managing it, especially where you have to park it daily. Weight upon moving would of course be good on all bikes but managing it day to day stationary > walking > to once underway needs consideration.

So expand your check boxes before you go test riding.

And in the end, go with your heart. It is why we ride for the most part.

NCS
76 Pillion ver 1.0
Live Life Richly
Old 03-14-2017, 05:20 PM
Entering the on-ramp

hope you have snow tires if your riding this weekend.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:45 AM
Shooting the gap

I guess I'm a little sensitive these days now that I have no bike at all. Lol
I have officially moved but don't have a permanent residence yet. From what I've seen, parking is going to be an issue. Most places I've looked at have 1-2 parking spots. I don't want to leave a bike outside. If I get a garage the bike goes in and cars stay out!
Also, I just found out if I buy something in Canada I can't bring it back tot he US without paying an import tariff so I'd have to go back and bring it over as a temporary resident. When the weather warms up I'll have to do some test rides
Steven, I'm going to be 60 in a couple of months. Even though I'm in good shape size and weight may be a factor in a few years