I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S/KR" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S/KR" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 04-19-2017, 04:42 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Speedometer - Analog v. Digital

The digital speedometer on my 2006 K1200s runs about 20-30mph lower than the analog. The analog is correct. Is there a "reset" or easy fix for the digital unit?

thanks
Old 04-19-2017, 10:25 PM
Shooting the gap

Re: Speedometer - Analog v. Digital

Man I'm jealous, my '11 K1300S only has analog Speedometer.

One would assume both the Analog Dial and the Digital Display are getting a speed signal from one or both of the ABS Sensors.

Might be a good idea to check the ABS Sensors for correct Air Gap.

Have you tried the ABS lately to be sure your're getting a good signal from the Wheel Speed Sensors? Mag Pick-Up Sensors need a minimum gap to assure sufficient sinusoidal signal amplitude for the ABS Controller to count the pulses.
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler. Color: Red/Black.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:35 PM
I-BMW Rider of the Year 2016
Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,206 Posts

deleted post. was just thinking kilometers
S1000R
I need a Honda sport or better yet a Monkey
I change your tires, you buy them on the web, I do the work $40, trying to keep riders on the road.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:00 PM
Getting up to speed

I have an 06 K1200S (original owner) and the speedometer runs about 6% slow. BMW USA and the dealer both gave me a memo that said the speedometer is within specs if it the error is within 10% plus 2.4 mph of the actual speed. BMW USA said the error is because people want the error in speed. (At first I thought that was a bs answer until I thought about all the people I know that set there watches 10 minutes ahead so they won't be late).

I tried running the Speedo Healer to correct the error, but it won't work on the BMW system.

Of course BMW makes sure the odometer is spot on.

On a side note, my BMW car has the same speedo error.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:39 PM
Shooting the gap

With Tires that wear to a smaller radius, and slowly leak air, you'll never have 100% accuracy for very long even if you did get it spot on...thusly the Odometer is almost never spot either.

Take it with a grain of salt.

A GPS Speed indication can be trusted most of the time. Exceptions may include multi-path signal reflections when riding through large cities with tall building all around as it corrupts the weak GPS Satellite Signals.
'11 K1300S, Kuykendahl Riser Plates, Corbin Seat, Low-Beam HID, Centerstand, Illmburger CF-Rear Hugger, Fenda Extenda, Philips 8-LED-DRL, Pair of 18W LED Flood Lamps, Rear Luggage Rack, Grip-Puppies, R&G Aero Sliders, OEM Hard Bags, Stebel Nautilus Air Horn, Bar-End Throttle Lock, Zumo 660LM, Nelson-Rigg Tankbag, Fuel Filler Neck Vent Holes, Aluminum Kickstand Foot, ABM Synto EVO Brake/Clutch Levers, Cobra SP2 Slip-On Muffler. Color: Red/Black.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:35 PM
Getting up to speed

You are correct that tire wear affects the accuracy of the speedometer. By my calculations, the difference in the diameter with a new tire having 9/32 tread and a bald tire with no tread will affect the speedometer by approximately 0.94% (pi*r squared). Therefore at 70 mph, there is approximately 0.7 mph (rounded up) difference in the speedometer reading between a new and worn tire. At 70mph on the freeway, measured with the GPS mounted on my bike, my speedometer reads about 64 mph (off by 6 mph). And with a bald tires it would read 63 mph with the additional 0.7 mph error caused by the wear. So you are correct that of the nearly 7 mph error, a bald tire would account about for almost 0.7mph of the error. People would be crazy to complain about the 0.7 mph error caused by tire wear.

Likewise you are right that the odometer is not perfect and tire wear affects the odometer. However, using the same GPS, and average over a 20 mile stretch, the error in the odometer was not more than 0.1 miles. Using the speedometer error, the odometer should have had a nearly 2 mile error over that 20 mile stretch.

Since the error between the odometer and speedometer are off by a factor of nearly 200, I suspect that BMW engineered the error into the speedometer, but not the odometer. An equal odometer error would mean that the BMW warranty would last for about 5200 miles over the 36000 mile warranty. Don't imagine BMW would want to pay for the warranty for the extra miles.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:51 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,522 Times in 3,205 Posts

A really cool concept why not calibrate the speedometer for accuracy? How about the speedometer reads within 1 mph/kmh +/-?

I don't get any of the reasons stated - why have an instrument that does not read correctly?

My truck matches my GPS in my RD all the time.

I understand if we modify the bike or change tire sizes - then you risk an error with the speedometer - but from the factory new no reason to not have this correct in my opinion.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 07-08-2017, 04:23 AM
Getting up to speed

I agree with brucev. I suspect that it is to limit liability. I connected the BMW scanner to my bike's computer and the speed readout (in tenths of a mph) from the computer shows the exact speed (matches speed on my GPS). The output to the speedometer is adjusted by the ABS servo (for my 2006) to induce the error on the speedometer. The bikes computers needs to know the exact speed to operate the ABS system and for fuel mapping on the injectors and to determine Calculated Engine Load for the engine and sensors.

My guess is that if a person gets into an accident or gets tickets and they were going faster than the speed indicated on the speedometer that the manufacturer would have a class action suit. But no one can sue if the speedometer reads less than the actual speed. How else can you explain a relatively accurate odometer and speed used by the ABS and the engine control computer and an inaccurate speed displayed on the speedometer? BTW my experience is that all European cars and some Asian cars and some Asian bikes also induce an error into the speedometer.

But then again, as the rep at BMW USA told me, people want a speedometer that reads less than the actual speed. At first I thought this was a bs excuse, until I realized how many people I know that purposely set their watches or car clocks ahead of the actual time so they won't be late.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:16 AM
*Disclaimer below

...then again if you live in a hilly area GPS is not going to be true either
Old 07-08-2017, 10:47 AM
Getting up to speed

And if you live where there are lots of tunnels or skyscrapers or near an erupting volcano or a high power transmitter or drive under a lot of power lines or the battery in your GPS is dead the GPS won't work. All the more reason to have an accurate speedometer. A friend has a Mazda 3 with GPS. It gives you the option of having the GPS drive the speedometer or the sensor in the tranny. If you select GPS and lose the signal in a tunnel the speedometer automatically switches to the sensor in the tranny.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:33 PM
Shooting the gap

I do notice my speedo seems to run about 2-3 mph slower. This gap does increase with older tyres as it was mentioned. I was going to ask about this but someone had beat me to it. Thanks for the information.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Thunderhead308' for this post:
Old 07-09-2017, 03:22 AM
Site Contributor

To end the guessing here:

The KOMBI (instrument cluster) can be "coded" to show exact speed.
And yes, the porpusely set error in speed indicated is 2% at 100km/h and is about 5% at 200km/h. Progressively getting worse at even higher speeds.

The speed sensor in the final drive is the one sending the signal.
The gap between the sensor and the crown wheel gear can't be adjusted.

The front sensor can't be adjusted, as it is held in a fixed position on the fork.
The entire wheel/axle needs to be moved to adjust the gap.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:26 PM
Shooting the gap

On a different bike, but the same problem...
KTM had their 1290 Superduke R bikes made to read around 10% too fast. Mine was actually about 12% when tires were new! It really felt odd having to guess the real speed.
KTM at first said they would reset the computer but never came through with a fix.
A smart fellow in Australia came up with a great idea. He tested and later sold new ABS rings that had the number of spokes adjusted to trick the ABS pick up in the rear wheel. Front and back rings were done in case the computer had an issue thinking the wheel revolutions were different.
After the swap, I was within +- 1 mph at all speeds. Price with shipping to the US was still under $120 US.
Money well spent...!
Old 07-13-2017, 05:16 PM
Getting up to speed

Interesting approach. Contrary to what you read on this forum, bike speedo inaccuracy is the norm for European, Asian and US bikes. I tried to install the SpeedoHealer (www.healtech-electronics.com) on my K1200S only to find out that it doesn't work on my model bike. Great customer support and they refunded my money quickly when they realized it would work on BMSs. I did use it on my Kawasaki with great success. Super easy to install and program.

They do sell one for your KTM for $109+ SH.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:23 PM
Site Contributor

Or you go to your BMW dealer and have the Instrument cluster coded to

SHOWEXACTSPEED_AKTIV

Thats a 2 minute job.....
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Patrique83' for this post:
Old 08-30-2017, 06:35 AM
Entering the on-ramp

Hello. For those who don't have digital instantaneous speed display, can it be enabled?

Thanks in advance, Adam.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:50 PM
Site Contributor

The signal is digital, so not sure what the question is?!

Wheel speed from the sensors (front/back) is given to the ABS which then does its magic when needed.

As a bi-product the ABS translates the speed signal into a digital packet and sends it via the CAN-BUS network to the KOMBI (instrument) and the BMSK/BMSKP (engine controller).
There is no direct connection between the speed sensor and the KOMBI.
By the way, the rear sensor in your final drive is the sensor whos signal is being converted for the digital signal.

The so called "Speedo healer boxes" are not working because the signal is digital, not analog.

The standard KOMBI or the RACE Display have "settings" that can be coded to show exact speed, or not.
Standard setting is to always show more then what you are actually doing.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Patrique83' for this post:
Old 08-30-2017, 08:04 PM
Site Contributor
Thanked 2,233 Times in 1,078 Posts

Hey Pat, probably an assumption that speedo can display analog or digital.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrique83
The signal is digital, so not sure what the question is?!
Old 08-31-2017, 06:36 AM
Entering the on-ramp

I have a 2007 K1200s. On the digital display I can only display an average speed. I wondered if it is possible to configure it to also display instantaneous speed?

The reason is that I have a navigation system with a circular display that fits perfectly in front of the analogue dial. It can display the current speed but is no use inside a tunnel etc.

I use a TomTom Vio when I need more than voice navigation.

Adam

IMG-20170715-WA0003.jpg
Old 08-31-2017, 05:32 PM
Site Contributor

No, the KOMBI (instrument cluster) BC function is only able to show average speed.
There are no settings that could be recoded/reconfigured.