I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > I-BMW Racing > MotoGP
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

MotoGP World Championship

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 07-04-2017, 07:41 AM
Twisted Wrister

Send a message via AIM to RandomWalker Send a message via MSN to RandomWalker
Marquez Just Playing With You?

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/267...-champion.html

Interesting take by Crutchlow
Old 07-04-2017, 09:33 AM
Administrator
Thanked 5,366 Times in 3,115 Posts

Re: Marquez Just Playing With You?

He is probably right - but like he stated - "bar any freak events" there is still a lot of racing left and as we know freak events sometimes show up.

16 S1000RR-Black (Track Only)
16 R3-Black (Track Only)
Old 07-04-2017, 09:44 AM
Admin/ Site Counsel
Thanked 6,702 Times in 2,770 Posts

Hard to argue with that, Marquez is an amazingly talented guy on the Honda that is always competitive if not the class bike of the field. The only guy who has shown the ability to consistently go toe to toe with Marquez is Rossi, who at 38 still seems to have the talent and desire to rise to the top as well as the the ability to bang fairings. I think that the championship will come down to Marquez, Rossi, and Vinalies, with Dovi an outlier. Looking forward to the rest of the races.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:56 AM
Site Contributor

Things change week to week...

MotoGP: 2017 is “torture” for Márquez

By Manuel Pecino Photography courtesy of Michelin June 30, 2017
http://www.sportrider.com/motogp-201...re-for-marquez

Marquez resigned to Honda deficit for rest of 2017

By: Oriol Puigdemont, MotoGP Editor
2017-06-27
https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/ne...f-2017-923942/

2 DNF's earlier this year kinda shows he's pushing. When his bike is right, he's unbeatable (except maybe by Lorenzo on a Yamaha).
Rossi is better in challenging/changing race conditions, but his bike has to be set up right.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:28 AM
Shooting the gap

With a name like Crutchlow, it could not be more fitting to his riding style and with that, i do not hold much of his remarks with much water. Marquez is a great rider, there is no doubt about that; he is not my favorite & i won't wear his colors but i do think that he will not be champion this year. These past 5 years that i have been watching it all seem to get more diverse every year with much more unexpected turnes and great, great racing. I think the championship may be claimed by an unexpected guest.

Sure, Viñales has us all excited, or most fans who are not 93 obsessed fans but i do feel it is a bit too early to call him the Champion yet. The points do say that.

In regards to saying that Marquez is playing with them, i don't think so. I think Honda is having a trouble, at times with Marquez and the bike. Nothing serious, it is just enough to unsettle and he not perform as he did in past years. I say that becauss any person who is capable of winning and winning big, wouldn't sit back where others can take the champion from him. He wouldn't risk loosing it and he only just took the lead....which could mean that he can't hold on to itfor various reasons, or pull off another great feat, which would be to take the points and run.

We will see
Old 07-05-2017, 01:10 AM
Site Contributor

I agree that honda seems to be struggling week in week out, would like to see what Marquez could do on the yammy, cant work out why Lorenzo starts the race great for about 6 laps then fades away its a great championship this year as no one can seem to dominate ..... will have to wait i suppose for the rest of the season.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:54 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyfox
I agree that honda seems to be struggling week in week out, would like to see what Marquez could do on the yammy, cant work out why Lorenzo starts the race great for about 6 laps then fades away its a great championship this year as no one can seem to dominate ..... will have to wait i suppose for the rest of the season.

I would agree with that about Honda. There are things that can effect a driver or rider's confidence in the machine. I remember growing up on the team that my father raced on, he worked as tyre man, they could;t figure out what was wrong with the car. It sounded funny. They checked the carb, the cam, the crank, the transmission, the fan, the belts. They changed plugs, they changed filters and they tired so, so many things but it still sounded off. It struck them that "Maybe the firing order changed?" And that was what it was. Something like that can effect a person's ears, how they feel about the bike or engine for that matter. I believe that Honda did change this year's engine but i don't recall in what manner. If that is the case, then it could be that Marquez is just unsettled. It could also be more than that. I would be highly interested to see him race elsewhere, to see if he is as good as everyone thinks he is and as he has shown us...on Honda. But what about another bike? Another series? FIM EWC Endurance? Or WSBK or MotoAmerica or IOMTT. Sure, the pay would be less but his fans would follow him and there are so many more he could make.

Anyways, enough of my preaching. I don't think he is "playing" with the others. I think he is really being challenged by the new crop, Zarco and Folger, Petrucci and the other small fish on satellite bikes and Viñales and Rossi, Lorenzo(kinda but he is on a new bike and it is so different than Yamaha for 8 years or so) and DesmoDovi. Even Crutchlow, though he seems to pilot a hospital bed better than a bike. Shoot, i would love to see Pol Espargaro up there and Bradley Smith. Those two are my favorite from Monster Yamaha Tech 3. Badass guys.

Go to another team and build it, win and be a champion there. There are examples of this, most famously Schumacher from Benetton as a 2X Champion to Ferrari, build it(cheat) and win lol and Valentino from Honda as 2X Champion to Yamaha and win there.