I-BMW.com I-BMW.com

Welcome to the I-BMW.com forums! - You're currently viewing as a limited access guest. By joining our free member supported community, you'll gain access to post/ reply, communicate privately with other members (PM), or globally via "real time chat", respond to polls, upload photos, post classifieds etc. Membership is fast so, Register @ the Ultimate Sport Touring Portal!
Should you not receive an email with activation link, check your SPAM settings or please contact us and include the ID/ email address you registered with.

Go Back   I-BMW.com > BMW K-1200 Series Motorcycles > K1200S > "K12S/KR" Technical Q&A
User Name
Password
Home Register Gallery Classifieds FAQ Members List Calendar Donate Mark Forums Read

"K12S/KR" Technical Q&A K1200S/R Technical Questions/Answers

Vendor Sign Up | Want to see your name in neon blue? | Want a neat reflective sticker for your ride?!

Old 08-27-2017, 10:59 PM
Getting up to speed

Differences - AF-XIED and Innovate LC 2?

Can someone point out the differences between these two add ons? I ride a 2006 K1200r and would like to smooth out this motor. They both seem to address AF well beyond what something like the Booster Plug or Accelerator do.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:06 PM
Site Contributor

Re: Differences - AF-XIED and Innovate LC 2?

IMHO, get the ECU flashed and be done.
These other products need to much custom work and don't necessarily address the problem.

That said, a handful of unrelated faults can cause the "bucking bronco" syndrome on the old K12R's. One of them is the lean hole in the fuel map.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:19 PM
Getting up to speed

Can my local dealer do this reflash? Thanks.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:54 AM
Site Contributor

They can reflash the unit if the bike hasn't had the BMW recall. Your dealer should be able to check your VIN to see if it was done.

But the real reflash you want is done by places like Eculunleashed and Brentuning.

I personally cannot vouch for either but there are reviews on here if you search.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:33 AM
Moderator; Weeding out the weak
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow
Can someone point out the differences between these two add ons? I ride a 2006 K1200r and would like to smooth out this motor. They both seem to address AF well beyond what something like the Booster Plug or Accelerator do.
Lots of people here have used the AF-XIED with good to great results.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:55 AM
Getting up to speed

Yes, as I, in a very general way understand the differences, am likely to go with the XIED. It seems to be the middle ground between something that addresses an area at the beginning of the throttle and two across the whole range. Then the choice is between how involved do I see myself with this engine. I could see getting into the detail the LC 2 seems to offers. But realistically, I want to ride. So plug and play sounds natural for me. But I don't understand all that is going on with these things. So I ask to see if my understanding isn't missing something. If the XIED came on the market after the LC 1, I would say there is an observant entrepreneur out there! An advance thanks to any response.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:23 PM
Entering the on-ramp

I bought a LC2 few monts ago, but I'm also a very lazy so it still sits under my desk... In general this should be the same sh*t.
There are 2 main differences:
1. with LC2 you'll get an A/F gauge and possibility to record the A/F values if you want to check them or to remap the bike.
2. with AF-XIED you don't have to mess up modifying installation. Just plug it and forget it.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:04 PM
Getting up to speed

Thanks for the input. Yes, I have to acknowledge I have límites to my involvement. But I have come across another unit that seems like it might be inbetween those two. It is from Dobeck Preformance - EJK 8140087. It's plug and play with a built in map for the bike. It offers three areas for up to a 10% change in three zones. The range of the engine is lower rpms, to mid and upper rpms that can be addressed. Here is some of what they have to say.

The Electronic Jet Kit (EJK) is the most popular fuel solution from Dobeck Performance. It is the #1 EFI controller on the market for installation time to riding with great performance. The EJK is a plug and play fuel solution that comes preprogrammed for Stage 1 modifications (Intake & Exhaust upgrades). Forget downloading maps. Forget looking up settings. Forget additional tools. Install the EJK and go ride; you will have a great tune up right out of the box. The EJK offers simple on-the-fly adjustability and access to 6 modes of adjustment using three push buttons. The EJK implements DP’s load based technology which takes into account changing loads for various riding conditions. Load based tuning technology provides a smooth dynamic tune up that breaks the drive cycle into 3 main adjustment zones instead of filling in an entire TPS vs RPM fuel grid. The EJK is water resistant, and comes with a 2 year warranty. No dyno time required; no computer needed. EFI made easy.
This I-BMW member either likes, thanks -or- is 'shouting out' to 'Scarecrow' for this post:
Old 09-02-2017, 11:20 AM
Shooting the gap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow
afaik....

af-xeid is a "fix" that alters the fueling

innovate LC-2 is not a "fix"...it is just a way to measure afr.
96 K1100RS SE (caretaker)
09 K1300s
Old 09-03-2017, 02:45 PM
Entering the on-ramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlytle
afaik....

af-xeid is a "fix" that alters the fueling

innovate LC-2 is not a "fix"...it is just a way to measure afr.

Please, don't spread misinformation if you are not sure about it.

LC-2 also has a possibility to alter the fueling because you have analog outputs which you can program to alter the O2 readings. But you have to use a computer to change settings.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:42 PM
Shooting the gap

no intent to spread misinformation. i am well aware of what an LC can do...i use them to drive Alpha-N systems in racing car engines....
96 K1100RS SE (caretaker)
09 K1300s